The smartest thing the AI did to you

THE_COW_IS_OK

Chieftain
For a change, lets start the thread to praise the AI :mischief:

In my last diety continent game, I conquered my continent and found alex owning the other continent. Scanned his continent with caravel and found 4 tiles not claimed by his culture. Decided to found a city and buy the 2 tiles. there for 4 good reasons:

Rapid troop upgrade
Place to hold my range units.
To heal my navy/land units.
For the gg sentinel.

Once my units arrived and I just burned my GG for the sentinel on an offensive tile, Alexy send 1 artist, culture bomb my border, claim the sentinel, throw my army outside his continent. Then DOW me! Now don;t know if this was intentionel but that was REALLY SMART for sure!

The smartest thing?

I think it was when it filled the path to the other civ i was in war... 25 or more hexes filled of neutral troops, carpet of doom, and i wasn't able to attack my enemy... Intentional? Casual? I don't know... In the end, i declared war to the neutrals and clear my path... Annoying for sure, i can call it a smart move...

I think it would be the time when it settled right next to my borders in an area that had no visible strategic resources or luxuries - and was as far away from it's capitol as it could have possibly settled at the time - while at the same time it had unsettled and super rich areas with plenty of resources and luxuries right outside their homeland.

Oh wait! You said the smartest thing ....

In my first deity game, Washington rushed med with archers and spearmen on turn 40. I thought that was a pretty good decision of him.

Agustus and Bismark started trying to take out all the city states right after I got the UN and even convinced one of them to turn on me so I couldn't get my 9 votes, without having to take over half their empires to get to the taken city states.

Something else the AI has done that is smart is Agustus in my current game is listed as Afraid in the deplomacy screen. Seems smart and like he learned his lesson, after 2 butt whoopens.

Another time I was steam rolling the AI and he layed down a row of 3 cities blocking my path to him and used them to bombard and slow me down while he produced more units, which makes since, because settlers are really cheap and it bought him about 9 turns, and the settlers probly cost him only 3 turns.

Clearly cheating without hiding itself behind a smoky curtain of non sense words....

Sometimes I appreciated an " honest " AI cheat , with a clear evidence of a cheat, admitted by facts, documented.

I think it would be the time when it settled right next to my borders in an area that had no visible strategic resources or luxuries - and was as far away from it's capitol as it could have possibly settled at the time - while at the same time it had unsettled and super rich areas with plenty of resources and luxuries right outside their homeland.

I had a game where the AI did something similar to this... I found out about 100 turns later that they had blocked me off from oil I had not discovered yet... While I doubt they knew it was there yet either (or perhaps it cheated by knowing before it had the tech to know), I was annoyed about them being there doubly so for the rest of the game... nothing to start war over, mind you, but I went from feeling they were stupid to thinking they had foresight....

Mmmm... ask me if I can delcare the war to Caesar, and the turn later, when I accepted... declare the war on me because I'm a warmonger?

Smart? Well, after 5 games for sure is something normal and you learn to live with it.

I'm fairly sure it caused a CTD.... which was probably in its best interest to spare additional countless lives of units just drowning themselves offshore where 3 caravels awaited.

an ottomen (arab? ) scout i had open borders with stayed in my capital whilst it was bombarded to zero defense

but the aztecs would not declare war on them and take the city so i was able to build
and counter attack

but i do not know if that was a particularly smart move as i later backstabbed them

but it did stop the tecs from storm troop'n into first

Yeah, this thread is a tough one :goodjob:

The smartest thing i've seen is probably when i conquered China (the first nation i ever declared war on, or ever was at war with, at the 1900's), who i had a pact of secrecy against with half of the other civs, only to have them all declare war on me in response to my agression...
Smart, in the gamey cheezy boring 5 year old "I WANT TO WIN" ai rutine.
Unfun, unrealistic, and immersion breaking, but smart if we classify "smart" as something that prevents the player from doing anything without waking up every omniscient god-like leader with precognitions about thousands of years in the future, predicting the invention of nukes, spaceships and diplomacy victories, and hence act accordingly to declare war now rather than act as a natural realistic leader.

I was on the verge of a diplo win when Hiawatha, who controlled the other continent, began gobbling up all the free city states. He had mech infantry and artillery to my riflemen, and about ten times the forces, so retaking them all wasn't possible. Had to give him kudos, and wish that happened more.

Napoleon once bought two of my city state neighbours and then declared war, making me fight a three fronted war. It seemed very clever at the time. I still suspect it was as much luck as judgement on his part.

Gandhi once asked me for a little finacial help (his words!).

Turned out he wanted 3504$. Granted, I had around 5900$ and he didn't sound/read like if he was actually demanding things (he was really nice after all).

Being my first major encounter with Gandhi in this game, I actually though about ten minutes (seriously, ten minutes!) on what to do. On the one side I know how much a pain in the arse he was in the previous games and how much money he was asking for, on the other side I had the money and enough per turn income to replenish my treasury very quickly (+197$ per turn), plus I needed some allies aside my faithful CSs against that filthy Hiawatha and this one stupid/arrogant Alexander, whom declared war on me, got eradicated (one city actually caught by my allied japanese) and when I conquered Japan (whom again declared war on me with that Hiawatha) and freed the last City Greece had, what was the first thing to do? Exactly, :):):):):) around and make me long for a reason to crush his horsy butt :mad: .

In the end, I felt gratefull and spending and all that and decided to give it a shot. One turn later, three of my fellow city states changed alignment over to Gandhi, completely brushing me off that continent and getting rid of my sole ally in Iroques territory other than my own borders.

Lesson learned:
Never trust that coldhearted :):):):):) named Gandhi!

Apart from me going rampage and onquering every single city I could find due to the "lovely" lack of war-unhappiness, that was a rather clever move!

edit://
I like the censoring! Seriously. And I always thought people like the smileys in here :D

Fought the Iroquois on a 4 corner map. I controlled the majority of the NE corner and he all of the SE corner. They declared war and marched at me through the center square. They were soundly defeated. We made peace.

Iroquois teched up naval techs and swam across the channel of water between our squares with 10 units while all my fortifications were set up in the center square. Had to buy 2 caravels and rush my troops back to save my coastal capital. He then retreated his surviving troops and set a cannon + ironclad trap on his shores when I attempted to follow. Upon landing on his shore it became quite apparent that both armies would be demolished in 3 turns. Instead we made peace.

After stealing the city-state of dublin from the Iroquois grasp around 1850, the Iroquois rushed the city-state and conquered it before it could grant me any military units. They hardly put up a fight when defending it and I quickly took the city back. However upon marching through the chokepoint into their square, I quickly found myself in a pinch. Their cannons had multiplied and most had been upgraded into Artillery. They also had riflemen running interference to slow my ability to send cavalry in to clean up the artillery. Two of the artillery were also stationed inside of cities, making it nearly impossible to penetrate their defenses without suffering the heaviest casualties I had ever experienced i Civ 5. In the end I had to bribe the Ottomans to send in suicide UU to distract the artillery long enough to break through this defensive line and conquer them.

I was playing a small continents map with Hiawathu(sp?) and Siam as my neighbors, i mopped up Hiawathu within the first 70 turns because he was too close for comfort. (restarts proved that the best course of action, as he started spamming settlers into my little subcontinent).

With only Siam remaining, their capital being a across a desert we maintained cordial relations, though when he expanded into lands that would have been open to Hiawathu i started to prepare, thankfully hiawhu's former capital was a great defensive position (hills + a river). The only other way to get to me was to travel along 5+ tiles of hills flanked by the sea on one end and mountains on the other, so i massed most of my army in the captured capital.

Siam was being nice and friendly while i plotted to take over a nearby citystate just to get +1 city and luxuries, for the occasion i moved troops down near to my coastal capital. The turn before i was to declare war on the CS i get that Siam jerk telling me how im going to die like the rest of the fools, and six ships appear out of nowhere off the coast of my capital!

Long story short, had i not been massing for an unprovoked attack myself, i would have been in deep doodoo. His subsequent elephant spam tried running over before mentioned river + hills, met by archers and cannon, and eventually artillery and riflemen, i beat his ass off the continent over the fallowing game. So much for my quiet science victory. sigh.

My third game of Civ V. After eliminating other empires on my continet I thought I could use tehnical edge over USA and Germany to wipe out them too - each controled their own continent with massive armies, mostly consisting of guys with pointy sticks, while I had early gunpowder units. So I send leftovers of my military to Germany where I discover that their isle is a field of death as their cities are built so that enemy can be simultaniously bombarded by at least two cities, each capable of doing around 4 demage to my riflemen, thus he managed stave off his iminent death until I upergraded to infantry. Meanwhile Washington has delared war on me and starts to patrol strait between his continent and Germany with four ships, cuting off my way back home and making sure I couldn`t safely cross the strait to attack him.

I was fighting a long war against the last big empire, Emperor level... then Alexander popped out in his beautiful black horse, smiled at me, and said:

"Go play civ4 BTS with RoM AND, you dumbass!"

Smartest thing I ever saw the civ0.5 AI doing...

It was probably trying to pick a fight with you. They often use that trick.

Monty rushed me when I only had just settled my second city. If I were the AI, that's how I would've played it. I applauded him and ended up losing the game quite handily around turn 50 (on immortal).

Top Bottom