1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The smiling spider :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 29, 2019.

?

Do you like spiders?

1. Yes (and i am human)

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No (and i am human)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I am a spider

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

A number of my short stories are about spiders and other critters. Of course they are symbolic, yet it is a major recurring theme. Spiders, in particular, construct a wall out of their webs, preventing the protagonist from reaching anything repressed or lost.
    I never liked spiders (that is the opening line from one of the stories as well), although I had little issue observing or touching other bugs (praying mantis, grasshopper, beetle, and of course the humble ant). The spider just seems vicious and menacing, particularly if it rests on its thick web. I think it always seemed to me to be a sort of deity of the web; something which is sensitive to the tiniest change taking place in its realm that is made of sickly white dense saliva-like lacework; ominous to behold and akin to some uncannily inverted broken mirror where the gaps are actually the only parts that matter.
    It has been noted by many poets that the spider does resemble a tree in form; a peculiar tree in this case, because it is alive and carnivorous. Its movement may seem bizarre at first, yet in reality (when it has a galloping pace) is revealed to simply be that of a human infant moving on all fours - two infants, to be exact, attached to each other, walking in synchronization, with the first and third and the second and fourth legs on either side of that singular body being always in the same phase angle. The hairy body of the spider can also be said to connote a thick beard, thus turning the creature into a chimeric hybrid of infant and adult.
    For me spiders always seemed to be not so much on guard, but guardians themselves. Always on the look-out for the unhappy passer-by, who without realizing it had already ventured way too close to his doom and any escape would no longer be possible without extreme sacrifices...

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

*sees the image above, reacts thusly:*

STOMP!

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

We like spiders! When we find spiders in the house, we capture them and take them into the garden.

Lexicus, Kyriakos and haroon like this.
  4. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Neil Gaiman wrote many about spider; Anansi Boy and Coraline are centered around antromophized spider.

Me myself have a mix feeling about spider, the big and colourful one I'm both afraid and admire its beauty, if that kind ever reside in my house however I don't have enough courage to move it, I will just kill it.

Lexicus and Kyriakos like this.
  5. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

As a robot I dislike these poll options.

Kyriakos likes this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I don't like them but I do this too.

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Spiders are mankind's eternal allies against mosquitoes, fleas, mites, bedbugs and other parasitic vermin than means us ill. If I see one in my apartment I see a friendly soldier patrolling the streets for my safety. Mind you around here there are no spiders dangerous to humans. Even if they wanted too their fangs are just too small to pierce human skin. But perfect for taking out other insects.

8. Kyriakos

It is entirely different in Australia, aka radioactive monster country.

AdamCrock likes this.
  9. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

It doesn't sound like you like them that much.

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Very much so yes.

11. haroon

haroon Chieftain

They always thaught me the more beautiful and colourful they are the more dangerous and poisonous they would be. You don't have that kind of beautiful Spider in your home country?

12. Kyriakos

Bright colors (red, yellow etc) usually signify the animal is toxic. But sometimes it is just a trick: some animals develop such colors because predators associate them with toxicity/danger, so they leave them alone, while in reality the animal wasn't dangerous to eat ;) The effect is called "Batesian mimicry" iirc.

AdamCrock and haroon like this.
  13. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I like and admire this nature creation. We should build more spider-like robots the design nature gave us is great !

MaryKB and Kyriakos like this.
  14. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

I love spiders, I have a tarantula in my office. I see them as being the cats of the bug world: they keep us safe from pests. I always name spiders I find in my home and assign them guardianship, and check in on them to see how they're doing. Plus they're just so cute! Could be that as a Scorpio I might have a bit of a soft spot for arachnids.

Oh dear, I wouldn't recommend doing this, house spiders have adapted to indoor environments. Likely those spiders you find, and dozens of generations before them, have never been outside and can't survive out there.

Birdjaguar, AdamCrock and haroon like this.
  15. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Putting them in a shed or garage if you have one would probably work fine, we get plenty of house spiders there too, but just sticking them outside on a cold, wet night would be unkind.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

We have some nice spiders with pretty markings here too but none that pose any threats to humans. Our absolute largest ones may just have big enough fangs to prick the human skin but their venom is very weak. And you have to be impressively unlucky to get bitten in the first place. If they feel threaten they'll just leg it.

haroon likes this.
  17. Kyriakos

I have to say I am surprised that no one here is a spider

18. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

every spider in my immedeate surroundings is automatically my spider bro for eternity and may or may not crawl into my mouth at night as a tradeoff for genociding the mosquitos. I take very good care of my bros.

19. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

Jim Moriarty (Sherlock's arch-nemezis) is a spider :mischief: He knows exactly how the web of intrigue works :)

Kyriakos likes this.
  20. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I had that kind of relation but with ant. I really think they are nice and meant well, I remember went home to my rented house after months of long holiday during my undergrad, I end up finding lots of bugs like thousands covering my wooden door it is sosmuch that my door turned black (my house near farm), when I enter my house, the freaking bugs come along with me. Water was off, my stupid pc was broken, and with tons of bugs inside my house, I remember I lost myself and went on rampage killing the bugs, with lots of its dying on the floor I went to sleep. When I woke up to my amusement everything was so clean, there were no trace of bugs in the floor, then I realized the ant carrying all of them. Oh man how I love and respect the ant from that moment till now, I forbid everyone to kill an ant infront of me, they are my buddies in arm!

Lexicus and AdamCrock like this.