1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Kan' Sharuminar, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I'm not keen on putting our rather expensive planes-that-take-months-to-build near the front-line. Strategic bombers can hit Germany form England, but when Norway is fully secured I'll no doubt put a few wings there.

2. rabidveggie

rabidveggie King

I recommend building some tactical bombers as well. They are essential for amphibious assaults and their ability to disorganize the enemy coupled with their range makes them ideal for us. They're useful in almost every circumstance, not counting actual dogfights of course.

3. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I quite agree, and in fact I'm utterly confused as to why I never built more before now. Must have been a mix-up in the paperwork.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I meant in terms of less-AA for them to fly over and less planes (hopefully) to intercept them.

5. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I think if we're wanting to hit the vital Rhine region then we'll have to accept there is going to be heavy AA/aircraft defences, regardless of if we strike from Britain or Norway.

6. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

*Clicks heels*

Airborne Officer ready for deployment SAH!

Ox and Bucks Light Infantry will not let the Regina down

7. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

This is a bit off-topic but I just had the weirdest HOI 2 game ever. First off the Shino war never occured N. China annexed C. China ,Guanxi and Shanxi. Japan teamed up with Sinkiang and won some provinces from Guanxi.

It started out normal with my German campaign until the Czechs decided to not give the Sudetenland to me. With my allies Nationalist Spain and Portugal I declared war upon the Czechs and I had to reorganize my whole front line, when that was done Poland declared war upon me and again I had to reorganize my front line. Soon the SU joined the Czechs and I was seriously in some deep . .. .. .. .. Then out of nowhere Yugoslavia wants an alliance with me, and soon after that Hungary. After having a peace deal with the Polish (to not border with the SU) I annexed the Czechs. Now here is where it gets really weird. the Polish wanted to join my alliance and I wanted a war with the SU so I accepted. I declared war upon Albania and Bulgaria and Romania joined my vast section of Axis allies. Then them bloody Italians declared war upon me (stupid Albania) and I was finding myself in a 2 way war. No problems there because I could easily beat the . .. .. .. . out of Italia. Greece declared war upon the SU but refused my alliance offer and then I get this stupid event of the german invasion of Yugoslavia which ends up with Yugoslavia having a peace offer with everyone, thus leaving my alliance.Then the worst part came. The allies led by the . .. .. .. .. . French declare war on me and now I am just f*cked.

So in short.

Germany with Axis (Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, N. Spain)

against:
    Soviet-Union
    the Allies
    Italy

And now im in June 1939.

WTF!!!!

oh and welcome aboard nonconformist.

8. Jos Ballenbak

Maybe this is the start of my own AAR, how to really get your ass kicked with Germany in 1940..............

9. Karmic Knight

Karmic Knight Neurotic To the Bone

How long until we can rectify that? I am of the opinion that theatre bombing is of vital importance in our future attempts to free the continent from its dark veil of fascism.

10. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Agreed. A strong tactical bombing capability will prove invaluable when we finally take the plunge on the Continent - We probably won't (initially) have the numbers to do successful encirclements, and destruction of enemy divisions will be critical to success.

11. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Do we have CAS instead or is there simply a shortage of both? Personally I prefer TACs because of their extra range.

12. Serutan

CAS also seem to take a lot more damage than TAC, even without enemy fighters or static AA emplacements.

13. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

But CAS are cheap as chips and there is nothing like them for actually killing the enemy when they are retreating.

Not to mention lumbering brutes dropping bombs from high up just doesnt seem so... eligant. A Typhoon gets to look the buggers in the eye before he lets rip with the Hispano Cannons.

14. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

I'm a fan of interdictions.

While strategic bombing has its use in destroying the foe's ability to wage agressive war, the real issue here when invading the continent, is to allow the vulnerable first wave to defeat the enemy in a speedy, while not necessarily decisive manner, allowing a beach-head to be formed, where mass reinforments can be inserted and consolidated.

As such, I think the enemy's organisation should be destroyed completely, allowing almost isntant victory to our light and manoeuverable first wave, to be followed up rapidly by heavy divisons for the encircling, crushing and mopping up of the enmy's forces.

15. Jos Ballenbak

I agree with nonconformist if we were talking about an invasion, but with the current situation we probably are best off disabling the enemies industries.

16. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Indeed we're a long way off of a European invasion, for the time being the best option is probably strategic bombing.

17. Serutan

True, but we need to start building up our TAC forces now, so that we have sufficient forces to support an invasion.

18. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

What serutan says. The buildup will be long and labourious, and will also require absolute air supremacy to begin with, so light aircraft with the ability to maintain air supremacy are a must.

19. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

In a stroke of luck, our strategic bomber production run comes to an end on the 19th October. I'll switch it to construct a couple of tactical bomber wings for a short-term solution, as well as begin research into the next line of CAS - we happen to have blueprints so it shouldn't take too long.

20. rabidveggie

rabidveggie King

I recommend a higher emphasis on tactical bombers over CAS as the range of the tactical bomber is more ideal for our vast empire. Also if we take the fight to Asia the infrastructure and lack of airports makes the CAS largely useless. CAS's also aren't very good in a slug fest and if they are out for a long time.