The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

OH NOEZ! IT BE TEH....

They don't look very happy.

Although I have heard that Stalin holds regular parties with his friends, ministers and other favs or high ranking members of the party.

That's odd.......... I saw that picture in Pravda the other day and it didn't look like that, see.

I'll give the nazi's one thing, they sure know how to throw a party ;)

I'm going to assume that contains the double-meaning to 'party' that I think it does and be proud of you.

Next update Tuesday chaps, or so I trust. I have things to design, a shop to run AND a waistcoat to purchase. I am delighted to say I'm not joking.

A day late (by 15 minutes), my apologies. In my defence, I have discovered that Sarah Brightman’s "Starship Trooper" is, in fact, not a good song to influence writing. The things I do for science.

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Four

17th July - 7th December 1936

Civil war in Spain was hardly a surprise development, tensions there had been rising for months, and many were happy to let events there unfold on their own accord. There was however, in Britain and other major European countries, a sudden outcry that volunteer brigades and resources should be sent to the fighting factions. By the eighth day of fighting on the peninsula, Germany and Italy had sent aid to the Nationalists, while the Soviet Union had supplied the Republicans. France had declared herself neutral.

In Parliament, the British leaders debated what they should do for Spain. It had been agreed that a small fleet of submarine flotillas should be sent to Gibraltar to reinforce the garrison there, but more was demanded by some of the more “interventional” types of the British government, particularly the newly formed Imperial Defence Council. Though they were ultimately defeated by the majority of the MP’s, it was enough to push the Prime Minister into a compromise - any trade with Nationalist Spain was to be refused, while that with Republican Spain to be accepted.

The bombing of Madrid

The war itself started out well for the Republicans, as they quickly advanced into the north to protect Madrid, and by late September finished off Nationalist resistance in the south near Gibraltar. Some in the press were quick to believe this meant the end of the right-wing Spanish faction, but over the next two months the Nationalists firmly held their ground, using the massive resources lent to them by Germany and Italy to consolidate their positions in the north, before beginning a surprise offensive late in the year. Piercing east and west around Madrid, they managed to completely cut off the city before seizing it on the 14th of November. Clearly shocked by the sudden turn of events, the Republicans utterly failed to prevent another assault into Badajoz, cutting off divisions in the doomed province of Salamanca.

By December it was no surprise that the Republican Army was reported to be in full retreat into the south, and its command in complete disarray.

Remarkably similar, though meriting far less attention, was the situation in the Far East. Guangxi Clique’s offensive against Nationalist China in the south, coupled with a similar campaign by the Communist faction, seriously threatened the main government until November, when the Nationalists managed an counterattack against their enemy’s extended lines, stalling them. Unlike Spain, there was very little outcry over sending aid. However, the news that Japan’s government had fallen to a right-wing coup d'état was greeted with apprehension by all nations with territory in the region.

The height of the Guangxi Clique/Communist expansion, late October

All these events brought worry to Britain. There was dissent at the refusal to aid Spain, a minor recession actually threatening bankruptcy, and the Italian football team winning the Gold Medal at the Summer Olympics greatly aggravated those who felt certain ‘British’ teams deserved to get some glory for once.

Things changed in November however. The re-election of American President for a second term greatly relieved the British government, which felt having a friendly partner for another four years could only be a good thing. Almost immediately, Foreign Minister Rheinmetall and Minister Yuri travelled overseas to begin negotiations with the U.S.A, bargaining Britain’s vast natural resources against the American dollar. On the 21st, Rheinmetall joyfully sent a telegram to the Prime Minister assuring him that a deal had been settled - Britain was safe from bankruptcy for the time being, though it had cost them more oil than originally expected. And a mere few days later, President Roosevelt requested a simple trade deal of oil and steel. It was almost pointless in terms of physical exchanges, but it’s gesture was clear - the American President was neutral, but he was neutral towards Britain.

With the new influx of cash, Britain’s economy soared. The industrial program begun in January was completed, several new technologies and projects were completed, and relations with British allies - particularly France and Canada - were vastly improved as research teams co-operated on an international level.

Britain’s economic hardships were beginning to come to an end, but there was little reason to believe things would get easier in the future. Germany and Italy were clearly pushing themselves as military powers, and the situation in Europe and the Far East was destabilizing. It was little wonder then that the Prime Minister authorised a new armed forces program, designed to increase Britain’s forces in response to the growing threat. Six new infantry division were authorised for development over the next six months, the Hurricane Fighter program was granted funds, and new battle-cruisers began construction. The British Empire was to be rearmed…

Is that Shanxi's starting border with Nationalist China? It looks different for some reason...

I believe we should use some of those new infantry divisions to reinforce our holding in Egypt and Singapore. We have to make sure if those territories are attacked they can hold out until we get riinforcements to them.
What's our relations with the various China factions?

Woah, Communist China is huge. In my games they either get crushed by Japan or Nat China or they only stay three provinces large for the whole game.

We should send aid to Mao, The Germans are supporting the Nationalist Chinese and if we strengthen the Communist forces China will be all the better for its new progressive government

could we see a map of Spain? sounds complicated

An Excerpt From a Speech by the Leader of the Imperial Defence Council:

...The precarious balancing act between the Navy, the Army, and the newly-developing Air Force is, unfortunately, a problem for the Empire. All three deserve the attentions of the military administration and the civil government. In the past, Their Majesties have always relied on the Navy to assert British dominance of the globe, for Her far-flung territories were, in the main, cut off from direct European competition and influence and therefore could only be reached by sea. This is still a laudable focus of our resources, however we can no longer neglect an actual ground force to make our presence felt.

In the past, Britain has relied much on flattery and bribery of local chieftans to consolidate and enforce Her rule due to the paucity of her land forces. This has worked, in the main, to give us the largest Empire the world has ever known and is to be commended, but now there are precious few chieftans to seduce and many enemies who are drooling at the chance to slice a bit of pink off the map for themselves. We must, while taking every reasonable means to maintain Naval supremacy (including purchase from our Dominions and Allies, if possible), invest more heavily in ground and air power if we wish to hold on to what we have thusfar attained on the global stage much less expand our influence further. These forces must be trained not only in defence, but for the purposes of expedition and asserting our presence abroad, for it is highly unlikely that any enemies we might face should find themselves able to threaten our Home Islands directly.

However, the loss of our Empire (including the sands and jungles of Africa, the jewel of India and the ring of the Far East) would be calamitous for us at home. A small force kept only to defend Britannia and only Britannia, then, would doom us to a slow gasping death. Stripped of our Empire, the vaunted industries of London and Birmingham would soon find themselves starving for lack of raw materials, and a much worse situation than even the harrowing of the Great Depression would soon engulf us all. It is in that spirit that I recommend a thorough and vigorous investment in our ground forces first and foremost, followed by the great Navy which is still the most formidable in the world and should by all reason remain so. We should squeeze all we can, thirdly, into developing and producing ever-new aeroplanes to rule the skies of our Realms, but this technology is, perhaps, a luxury which isn't as essential to the defence of our great Nation and Empire...

I believe we can use troops from some of our Dominions to garrison the frontiers. The more established, semi-autonomous regions of Canada and Australia/New Zealand might protest, possibly, but if we could use carrot-and-stick to bring them on-side (read: Military Control) it would bolster our own defence greatly. While Iraqi and Nepalese/Bhutanese troops are of somewhat inferior quality, the previously-proven blueprint trade could help bring their forces to modernity all the more quickly.

I would say we have South Africans and Iraqis, as well as the Yemenis and Omanans, man the earthworks in the all-too-important North of Africa. Nepal and Bhutan could easily stand for the Empire on the borders with the various Chinese warlords. The Oceanian Dominions could do their part in the Far East, and Canada could help to garrison our Pacific outposts.

Also, an option for our longer-term prosperity could be to intervene in the governments of Persia and Siam. Both have things to offer with varying levels of intervention; Persia, I believe, would do nicely as a client state much like Iraq (who I believe has some claims to Southwest Persia, if my conversations with T. E. Lawrence are properly recalled) rather than outright annexation, owing to their common border with Soviet Russia on both sides of the Caspian Sea. Siam I think could possibly benefit more from direct Imperial administration. And there is always the old prize of Afghanistan, though the Soviets might have memories of the Great Game.

Is it possible for us to test the mettle of our newly-trained boys against these hardly-civilized fringes of the world? The benefits of such action should be apparent, if we have the resources and the will. Regardless of this hard-line, however, I believe part of our consolidation should be a firm taking of our Dominions into greater control (surreptitiously, of course), so that they may assist us in the times to come.

Well, this IS interesting, the coup worked, C. China is big and the nationalists are losing to Guangxi Clique. This is very contrary to events predicted by my people.

Such blatant acts of aggression would only serve to antagonize both our allies and enemies. I don't think the Empire can currently afford to start even a minor conflict which might boil over into a major one. The days of Imperial expansion are over, we have to consolidate what we have.

I assure you, the Hurricane will not be a waste of time, Prime Minister! Our Gladiators are getting old, after all.

I suggested Siam and Persia because neither of these nations, if they can properly be termed nations, will present much difficulty in heeling. The terrain would likely be our greatest enemy, with fully modern Infantry cutting through jungles and traipsing over the desert.

If nothing else I implore the intervention in Iran, if at all possible, merely to hand over the oil-rich region of Abadan to the rightful Iraqi government which holds valid claims on it. This would not only improve our intra-Imperial relations with our Dominions and client states, it would pay dividends in more than doubling the Iraqi oil output and therefore securing that all-too-precious commodity for us for the foreseeable future. It gives us a just cause, and if we have only limited aims (namely the ceding of the aforementioned province and possibly bringing them under indirect rule through subtle influence) then it has small chance of boiling over into a broader conflict.

We must be vigorous, gentlemen. If we do not look toward our interests through action, we shall be taken by inaction. Other, hungrier powers will take their place on the world stage at our expense if we merely remain in stasis. We must act not out of rashness or even boldness, but out of sheer, cold self-interest. The case for Siam is, if anything, easier-made than the case for pressure in Persia: incorporation would extend our border with the Chinese by some-few kilometers, while it would completely eliminate the Siamese border itself, making the area more defensible. It would deny Japan a valuable strategic ally and asset in the region, which could very well upset their plans and show them that we will not be intimidated by their like and kind in future.

It would set a dangerous precedent. Whats to stop Germany from taking Austria, Japan from annexing China, Italy from seizing more territory in Africa, simply because they feel they can make better use of it?

If we complain, they would simply say there following our example. We would have no credibility to stop them in negotiations and would have to fight if it harms our interests. Some of our Allies would also be alarmed. The Americans, for one, would be opposed to any Imperialistic Adventures.

I'm not your reasoning is not logical. I'm saying the Empire has to take the moral high ground or risk undermining or whole strategic position.

I certainly understand your points, and no doubt you are thinking also of the boys we'll be sending onto the front-lines in any adventure. In all honesty the precedent is an elephantine issue which cannot be ignored, but we must make a choice. Germany lost the Great War and was supposed to have been defanged permanently, but previous Governments have allowed our commitment to the peace to lapse, and so now we face a resurgent Germany which has clearly abrogated the Treaty of Versailles.

It is my belief that Hitler shall take his course independently of any outside circumstance, and irrevocably toward whatever goal he has. If it is to be an annexation of the German territories still outside of his purvue, then he will try his level-best to accomplish it regardless of what we do. The Japanese will most definitely adventure in China, as has been their goal since they humiliated the Russians more than thirty years ago. They may well take Siam as well, in fact if not in name, thus denying us that avenue of defence and making Siam a threat along with Japan. Action in that theatre may well deter them from looking to our more well-established colonies in the region, such as Hong Kong or Singapore.

And as for the Italians? I am confident in our ability to hold them in Libya, since they will be facing us and our allies directly should they decide to press for expansion. Any aggression by them would inexorably result in our unilateral acquisition of Libya as well as Egypt and our other Arabian territories.

In a perfect world, your position would be unassailable. In a perfect world we would not have to worry about other nations and peoples upsetting the balance we've all worked so very hard to achieve and maintain. In a perfect world Briton and Japo and Yank and German and Russian could all stand side-by-side as brothers. I must point out, however, that our world is far from perfect and the decisions we make now on the course we shall take shall set the tone for our further course through the annals of history. Will we be known as the moral but equivocal nation that wavered under pressure and, ultimately, deliquesced?

Or shall we be known now and for all time as the people who stood up for our interests and made the rest of the world stand and take notice also; who brought peace through respect of other nations for our power and the fear of focusing that attention on them?

Sacrifices must indeed be made, in material as well as in reputation, to achieve true strategic security. Are we willing to step aside and let the world pass us by? Or shall we rise to the challenge and continue to make history according to our own desires?

There are other ways to get oil and any threat from Siam can be neutralized by proper military deployments. This gunboat diplomacy is simply not necesary and will do more harm than good both to our reputation and to our soldiers.

The trigger for the last war was when a driver took turn and got his passengers shot. How can we tell what might trigger the next one? I'm not suggesting simply sitting back and letting our potential enemies run amok. If that means war, then so be it. I'm saying that we have to stop them without stooping to thier level.

If the Empire is to endure in any way, shape or form it has to be an organization people are proud to be part of. One that stood for what it's principles in the face of all opposition. Not one that simply attacks far weaker nations unprovoked. How do you want history to remember you?

Top Bottom