1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Kan' Sharuminar, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Riptide_Monzarc

Riptide_Monzarc Chieftain

I am firmly confident that history shall regard me as one who unfailingly rallied to the defence of his Monarch and his Empire the only way he knew how. I do not wish this debate to descend to the level of the tabloids and the quarrels of the House of Commons, good sir. Your position as chief of the British Army commands great respect, and it is clear you are unwilling to commit your forces to offensive strategy, no matter how strongly I recommend it. I still advocate a firm stance, and if history deems my actions to be gunboat diplomacy and needless adventure then I shall have to accept that possibility. Ultimately it is up to our Prime Minister and our God to decide.

(OOC: I'm an agnostic/atheist in real life, your god might be different than mine, yadda yadda, but it fits with the character that's developing in terms of the RP...so I won't apologize. Though I suppose this post-script is a sort of apology in and of itself. Meh, I say.)

2. nodikus

nodikus It's Elementary...

Very well, we both have our veiwpoints and we're both servents of the crown. Well submit our respective proposals to the Prime Minister and let the Politicians decide. That's what there paid for after all.
    (OOC: I don't really care about religion one way or another. I actually agree with your proposals. I just felt like playing a very conservative, defensive minded General.)

3. Riptide_Monzarc

OOC: That's so weird...because I agree with your points on a more personal level, and also on a gameplay level if we're shooting for historicity. Maybe we should switch characters? [:p]

4. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

Are you suggesting that we attack some lesser nation? There can be no benefit from it. Leaving aside the supply issue for the moment if we wished to attack somewhere (which I'm not sure we can anyway given the people's stance on isolationism) we would need to strip the home nations of men which we just don't have, Britain has never had that.

Say we attack Persia, and we capture it, then we would have to administer it and guard it from disgruntled Partizans. We are fighting to stay in the black as it is, we can't afford a prolonged struggle. I doubt we can afford a short one either.

There can be no wars. There must be no wars. We are still hurting from the Great War, we must rebuild first.

5. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

Hear Hear! Although pre 1914 I would have wanted nothing more than a good war (after all, who wouldn't?) that stance is no longer possible- the Americans, already our significant economic betters and only useful potential ally, take a dim view of our imperialism already- how might they react to us being warmongers as well?

And did I hear talk of aid to COMMUNIST CHINA!?!?! What a preposterous suggestion! TRADING with "Republican" Spain sounds too much for me- but going so far as to actually fund the downfall of society as we know it in favour of the eveil that is the "worker's paradise"? Totally unacceptable!

6. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Some excellent speeches Riptide.

OOC: I very rarely take military control of allies, but I believe in this case it may be inevitable. I doubt I could offer a reasonable reason in-game as to why why have direct control at this time, unless war seemed inevitable or had already begun.

It will almost certainly be used when the Second World War breaks out.

I would agree with this, though I believe Canada would be far more useful in Europe, rather than the Pacific.

While I might agree with you on principle, sadly our main problem is our lack of military strength, which is only now beginning to increase. If we were to intervene in, say, Persia, then we would only open up a potential route for the Chinese factions - or worse the Soviets who, as you say, may their own interests in the region.

Both Siam and Persia benefit our position by being buffer states in their respective regions and having neutral relations to us. Both are surrounded by ourselves and our allies, and they have little reason to invade. Extending our borders to the Soviets or the unstable Chinese factions, and we may welcome a more serious problem.

I assure you that oil remains our greatest strength, and we recieve vast quantities of it per month - more than enough for our forces, and to trade away to our friends and allies.

It is the belief of this government and her allies that the Treaty of Versailles is clearly obsolete, and to continue to allow Germany to suffer under it a violation.

We have little idea on what Hitler is definitely planning, though you are quite right in suggesting it probably to do with regaining 'lost' German territories. The rest of the Cabinet remains undecided on how best to respond, should such a situation develop.

Or an invasion of Siam may anger them into definite action against us. After all, what would be our response if they suddenly invaded Siam?

Our only worry is if Japan seems genuinely interested in taking our colonies in the Far East, and it appears they do not. Even with their sudden government change, it is likely that they are more interested in the weakened China, or even a push into the Soviet Union. Should such a campaign happen, it is unlikely that they will even be able to strike at us.

Looking over the North African situation, I believe we should reinforce the region. Egypt and the Suez are particularly vulnerable, and should probably receive the new infantry divisions under development. If Italy decides to strike (which I firmly believe they will not), we can ship Indian divisions to assist short-term, and the power of the Royal Navy will greatly assist a campaign there - remember that the two fleets currently at Alexandria and Malta are specifically picked to combat the Italian fleet.

I believe we will be regarded as the power that held its hand at moment others would move to quickly. Our resources are only just beginning to increase, and our forces are simply outstretched. In a few years we may begin seriously putting your proposals into action, but as of 1936 they simply cannot work.

For now we bide our time, securing powerful allies and restructuring our military strength. We upgrade our obsolete weapons, gain intelligence on what our potential threats are, and how to respond to them.

I noted as well that your list of potential enemies did not include the Soviet Union?

7. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I agree with you.

Effectively neutral. They don't bother us, we don't bother them.

Them and Guangxi Clique. Normally they have this war and sign a white peace (which I still expect to happen). I'll be interested in seeing how this affects the Nationalist Chinese military effectiveness.

Before you wanted to aid the Spanish right-wing Nationalists, now you wish to aid the Chinese left-wing Communists! Are all Canadians as fickle as you are? ;)

Yup! Will create one for you.

And to mine, and to most foreign officials I've spoken with as well.

I have supported your decision to develop the Hurricane, and will continue to do so.

Is the policy I agree with.

8. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

short answer, yes, we are

9. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

The Spanish Civil War.

The top picture shows the Republican campaign from the 17th July to 26th September. The one below shows the Nationalist counter-attack from the 26th to 7th December.

10. Riptide_Monzarc

Ah'thankah'you, ah'thankah'you:goodjob: :king:

Of course. In my narrative I was suggesting a creeping, incremental control over some of our more dependent allies...reinforcing the Monarchy's role over the countries in the Commonwealth, for example (I like the idea of custom events to bring CAN, SAF, AUS and NZ into the status of puppets by '42-'43)

It is as you say: Canadians on the South Shore or guarding the northern French flank would likely be more useful than having to supply them on far-flung sun-drenched islands of questionable strategic import.

Surely we haven't the resources or the will to intervene immediately, and I do like Persia as a buffer state. When we are ready, in perhaps five years, they would be useful subjects for influence but no overt alliance, so that we can get their oil directly from their wells and not have an obligation to come to their defence should the Soviets decide to get frisky.

One can never have too much oil, no matter our surplus.

While I certainly agree that many provisions of the Treaty were onerous and counterproductive to the peace, I believe the retreat from our positions along the Rhine has been a mistake which may well come to haunt us in the future.

I honestly have little idea as well. The Nazis seem to be at least as ideologically opposed to Bolshevism as we are; perhaps they will focus their entire attentions to their East without bothering to seek any sort of 'revenge' against the Western allies in the future. After all, their only claims to lost territory are in the East, to the recently-independent Poland. France has their own designs in engineering a 'little entente' among the relatively new States of Central Europe, but this advance is meeting only limited success. It is just possible that the Gerries could be allies in the fight against Communism, if Hitler were amenable to reason and truly democratic principles...but I fear he simply wishes to replace one form of vile despotism with another.

Siam is completely surrounded by us and our allies in France. Any Japanese invasion of Siam would need to proceed through French Indochina or through the Bay of Bangkok. In either case it would be more effective, when we are able, to have the British Army already in place in Siamese territory; retreating to Burma would tax the Japanese much more than us in any assault, while simply sitting and manning the forts while they gobbled up the Siamese without any intervention would expose a whole other flank. I do feel that this issue deserves even more attention, now, than any other possible offensive operation, but of course we must be patient with our peoples' will and our own resources.

I have serious doubts as to Mussolini's offensive capabilities myself; in any war they would likely lose Ethiopia almost immediately. The Suez and the Egyptian frontier must receive the immediate attentions of the rearmament, to be sure...at the very least as a deterrent against Italian aggression.

Of course, each task as we can reasonably accomplish. The visions I have are broad-sweeping in nature and will take time to put into effect...I am by no measure an impatient man, merely passionate. And I did not include the Soviet Union because I had thought it went without saying that they are the greatest threat to our Western livelihood on the face of the Earth. Realities on the ground preclude us from liberating the Russian people of their Bolshevist yokes, at least at the present time and maybe for the next decade at least, but a little realpolitik might be enough to contain them. Perhaps we could nudge the Japos into looking North for the resources to fill the bellies of their industry, rather than at the glittering jewels of India and the Pacific?

11. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

OOC: Unlike now, there was more than enough cheap oil to go around way back when, I do believe. The USA was still prodrucing lots oil too I think.

12. Riptide_Monzarc

OOC: I know. But more oil is more fuel for divisions, and more resources to potentially trade.

13. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

I like reading this discussion, so keep it up.:thumbsup:

14. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

@Riptide: Ah, my impression was that you wanted your suggestions implemented as soon as possible - talking months rather than years. I think then, that I find them far more reasonable.

I will still suggest waiting for our potential enemies to make the first move, rather than any sort of pre-emptive strike.

Indeed! Our fantastic oil supply has granted us our best trade deals with other nations. Nearly all military supplies come from other nations, and our recent deal with the U.S.A. that gave us 2000 in cash was chiefly because of the amount of oil we supplied.

And it still remains are largest resource income.

15. Riptide_Monzarc

It has been deemed that the best way to defend our Empire from all aggression is to UPDATE!

16. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Will be done roughly Wednesday evening. Wanted one done on the weekend, but had more important things to do.

17. rabidveggie

rabidveggie King

This is quite interesting to follow. I'd like to join as well, but I have no idea how to play the game. Maybe if there was a position that I didn't need a indepth knowledge of how the game works I could join?

18. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I've never played it either, though I've learned a lot from reading and particicpating in these AARs.

You don't need to know much about the game to have any of the positions.

19. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

Seeing as this seems to be the melting pot for all the creative minds and of course the resting place for the Council of Doo......Peac....... wait what are we again? heh

Anyway, I've got a bit of a dilema in my German 1936 N/VA game. I built up my forces, done the usual, took Austria, Czechoslovakia and split Poland. I got alliances with Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. I invaded France but left Belgiumn and Holland (yes I invaded through the Maginot Line, I am a badass) and it fell, along with Denmark (so I could take Iceland). As I had alot of units sitting about I invaded Spain and set up my own government so I could deny the British it's base in Gibraltar but after that I've just been sitting about, building my forces. I'm planning on invading the Soviet Union but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for going about it? I've got about 30 or so tanks massing in 3 armies of 9 sitting at the border of Poland, USSR and Romania, I was plannign on using them to push forward to Kiev, head north along the river and then turn back on itself, towards Poland again and use my infantry to push forward and hopefully take out a few hundred Soviet units but what expereinces has others had with this? should I spread my force out and attack along the entire line?

20. Equuleus

Equuleus King

I would like to be a Gen. also if the post is not taken I would like to call dibs on the BEF if we send one.