The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

This is quite interesting to follow. I'd like to join as well, but I have no idea how to play the game. Maybe if there was a position that I didn't need a indepth knowledge of how the game works I could join?

As PrinceScamp (I keep putting in PrinceScampey out of habit :lol: ) says, lack of knowledge of the game isn't a barrier. It helps, as does some knowledge about the time period of course, but really all you need is the imagination to play along.

I'll pop you into the Imperial Defence Council for now :)

I would like to be a Gen. also if the post is not taken I would like to call dibs on the BEF if we send one.

Done. I'll note the obvious now that General's won't be seeing much involvement in the game until, y'know, some sort of war happens.

Seeing as this seems to be the melting pot for all the creative minds and of course the resting place for the Council of Doo......Peac....... wait what are we again? heh

Cabinet of Doom :mwaha:

Anyway, I've got a bit of a dilema in my German 1936 N/VA game. I built up my forces, done the usual, took Austria, Czechoslovakia and split Poland. I got alliances with Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. I invaded France but left Belgiumn and Holland (yes I invaded through the Maginot Line, I am a badass) and it fell, along with Denmark (so I could take Iceland). As I had alot of units sitting about I invaded Spain and set up my own government so I could deny the British it's base in Gibraltar but after that I've just been sitting about, building my forces. I'm planning on invading the Soviet Union but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for going about it? I've got about 30 or so tanks massing in 3 armies of 9 sitting at the border of Poland, USSR and Romania, I was plannign on using them to push forward to Kiev, head north along the river and then turn back on itself, towards Poland again and use my infantry to push forward and hopefully take out a few hundred Soviet units but what expereinces has others had with this? should I spread my force out and attack along the entire line?

I wouldn't have bothered with Spain, but the Soviet Union is definitely your next target. They'll simply attack you if you don't do it first.

You definitely want to attempt mass-encirclements in the early part of the invasion. Use your airforce to weaken the enemy divisions, particularly when they're on the retreat (keeps their organisation low, so you can keep moving quickly). I usually make a push for St. Petersburg/Moscow for my opening offensive, with a slow push in the south. When they fall it's Stalingrad or bust. I of course recommend this for reading: Written by the Victors, particularly section 3 which deals with Barbarossa. I hear the author is quite reputable :mischief:

Heh I took Spain in less than 2 months. I had 3 armies of 9 tanks heading down the two coasts and the center with 3 infantry armies mopping up. Didn't want to have a nation sitting about doing nothing all game when I could take it over and then get it to start harassing anything that came my way and maybe lend me some troops. I'm actually about to transport the 5 divisions they lent me over to Morocco to take the other Spanish holdings there and then move them on to help the Italians in Egypt.

I love allies, they're just so handy. Means I don't have to do anything. the Danes are spitting out destroyers and seem to be harassing convoys in the North Sea, the Hungarians (I took military control of them) have over 30 units available, the majority of which will take part in the invasion of Soviet Russia, while the units the Bulgarians have lent me are being used to fight in Greece(although I had to put a stop to that when I saw 17 Greek infantry divisions waiting :eek: )

Seeing as this seems to be the melting pot for all the creative minds and of course the resting place for the Council of Doo......Peac....... wait what are we again? heh

The Imperial Defence Council, you fool! :mad: ( :goodjob: )

jaysteve said:
Anyway, I've got a bit of a dilema in my German 1936 N/VA game. I built up my forces, done the usual, took Austria, Czechoslovakia and split Poland. I got alliances with Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. I invaded France but left Belgiumn and Holland (yes I invaded through the Maginot Line, I am a badass) and it fell, along with Denmark (so I could take Iceland). As I had alot of units sitting about I invaded Spain and set up my own government so I could deny the British it's base in Gibraltar but after that I've just been sitting about, building my forces. I'm planning on invading the Soviet Union but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for going about it? I've got about 30 or so tanks massing in 3 armies of 9 sitting at the border of Poland, USSR and Romania, I was plannign on using them to push forward to Kiev, head north along the river and then turn back on itself, towards Poland again and use my infantry to push forward and hopefully take out a few hundred Soviet units but what expereinces has others had with this? should I spread my force out and attack along the entire line?

First off, split your tank armies into tank corps of three. You've Panzer Leaders aplenty to do it with. Mass ALL your panzers, mech and mot down on the Russian steppe and have your pure Infantry up in the forests. The INF can be in as big of stacks as you can manage, and of course you should have some of them down South. You'll want to take ANY AND ALL MOUNTAIN TROOPS into those Southern INF stacks. Every single MNT you have should march through the Ukraine.. Note: Don't ally with FInland...not for a while anywy. It'll save you some grief later, assuming the Finns don't DoW Russia without your help.

What you should do is attack the South only. Only put pressure on the Northern front; advance for a province or two at most. Retreating (out of Russian territory only!) is okay, as long as you're blitzing like all hell down South. You should encircle the everloving hell in the Ukraine. Have your panzerarmees zigzagging like crazy (just hold shift and right-click the next province you want them to go to, and they'll instantly attack it without needing to recover. You can map out the whole USSR invasion at some point, but eventually the advance will be stalled.)

Once you've taken Stalingrad in a month or so, stop advancing East. There should now be plenty of plains up North...so send your armor up to the gates of Moscow and pocket the rest of the Soviet army Army in the Baltics. It is only at THIS POINT that you should bring Finland into the war. They should take care of Karelia (and possibly Leningrad). Surge into Moscow while you're still sweeping up the Reds in the Baltic forests. You can also send a concomitant force down to Baku if the Reds have a paucity of forces in the Caucasus. You know those mountain troops we discussed earlier? Blitz them down to Persia. If you're lucky you've either DoW'd early enough that the Soviets don't have the North, or the event simply didn't fire (I've had it happen).

If you have a concentration of forces, especially a lot of MECH and MOT, this can be done as soon as the mud begins to dry.

Also: keep a few divisions on your border with the Netherlands. They generally join the Allies whenever Japan DoW's them (Written by the Victors is most definitely NOT typical in this regard). If you have no forces in the region, you can face a Dutch assault on Kassel or even Berlin!

(yes, that's experience talking right there.)

Also: keep a few divisions on your border with the Netherlands. They generally join the Allies whenever Japan DoW's them (Written by the Victors is most definitely NOT typical in this regard). If you have no forces in the region, you can face a Dutch assault on Kassel or even Berlin!

(yes, that's experience talking right there.)

It should be noted that throughout Written by the Victors there were always divisions along the Dutch border. I once played a Hands-Off game where Germany didn't DoW the Netherlands or garrison the border, only to suffer a massive invasion by the Dutch halfway through Barbarossa. Damn well near reached Berlin!

As such, it pretty much hammered in the importance of watching the Dutch warily.

In their dykes and windmills...just hiding there. Smoking their pot and wallowing in their lascivious prostitutes. They might need to be 'heeled' sooner or later...

you kidding?? aww man I'll need to watch for that now...

Ok I've finished reading your first AAR with Germany so I think I've gained a basic understanding of the game. I also read a number of reviews on the game since it seems interesting, and can probably run on a non gaming laptop.

Edit: nvm the laptop crapped out, or at least the screens lighting did so i need to send it back for repairs. I love technology. :(

I'll be a General, since Silly Walks is taken by Subi.

Considering that the three of us have been/are ministers of Silly Walks, and I tried to sign up for a general in Heart of the Republic, I'll take that. (I'm that position in Subi's Communist China story)

I'm just interested where will my fleet be assigned.

@ Kan
You forgot to add me to the front page.

I'm just interested where will my fleet be assigned.

Currently at Britain, for patrolling the North Sea, Channel and eastern Atlantic.

@ Kan
You forgot to add me to the front page.

My apologies. Is done now :)

Update is, ahem, tomorrow. Gaming portion is done, but I haven't had time to write it up properly.

Is there anyone we could sell all that oil to? America already has plenty. France might be able to buy some. We definitely can't be selling it to the Germans, Soviets, Italians, and Japanese.

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Five

21st April, 1961

British Radio/Cinema Broadcast, circa February 1937
From the BBC Historical Archives

This rare piece of British history was recently rediscovered languishing among dozens of others in a forgotten part of the BBC vaults. Though the cinema version has long since been lost, we present here the transcript of the original radio broadcast, believed to have been transmitted on the 25th February, 1937. We have tried to provide still images of the film broadcast where possible.

Well listeners, it is now well into the New Year for our New Britain! Across our great country people everywhere are enjoying a newly rejuvenated economy - industries are growing, new jobs are available to all, and there is plenty of money to be spent. We're sure that came in handy for that Christmas season, eh folks?

Shop for Britain!

Across the globe, our British Empire and her Commonwealth remain the bulwark of stability in tumultuous times. Civil wars rage across Europe and the Far East, virtually demanding that the British Royal Navy step in to quell the flames. The First Fleet - sent to patrol the seas near China - achieved almost immediate success in influencing peace, as the great battles between the controlling ‘Nationalist’ Chinese and the southern Guangxi Clique factions came to an end last January, after over half a year of fighting. It should be noted that this ‘white peace’ agreement was reportedly predicted by our own Prime Minister in late 1936.

In Spain, another civil war turns the way of the Nationalist party, as Franco’s forces force the Republicans south towards Gibraltar. The presence of British troops and submarines should be more than enough to protect our presence in a war that was always going to see our forces lose, if we had gotten involved with either side!

But back at Britain, we suffer our own traumas as our Monarchy deals with the fallout from the abdication of Edward VIII. Allegedly an unpopular figure with the chiefs of the government, his new move to Austria must be a relief with them as new King, George VI takes the throne. Yet despite such reports, Prime Minister Kan’ Sharuminar was quick to wish the future Duke of Windsor all the best with future endeavours.

All hail the new King!

Quite willing to appreciate the more military matters of the Empire, the new King was quick to take a tour of our latest and most modern military equipment. Visiting the Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Manufactures along with our very own Chief of Airforce, Mr. E350tb, he declared how delighted he was with the new Hawker Hurricane fighter aircraft. Certainly a concern for our friend Mr. Hitler, should he take a step further than the Rhineland, eh?

All this and not a word about our upcoming “pride of the Royal Navy?” The Ark Royal and Invincible, both launched at the end of last year and due for commissioning this coming August, remain a sign that Britain is devoted to her power at sea. A new approach indeed, much vaunted by Chief of Navy Mr. Pugwash, but much softened with the news that the King George V battleship is still due for final commissioning by this time next year. Certainly some bold steps, but definitely some good ones. Keep up the good work, lads!

[Piece moves onto general opinions about the British weather, good places to visit this summer, and the newly laid-down R.M.S. Queen Elizabeth]

Some comments given about the broadcast:
Despite the upbeat comments about the state of the British Empire - in particular regarding the military - there is little reason to assume that the Cabinet didn’t realise how precarious the situation was. As proven by figure 4.3, the Empire’s military strength was barely greater than the previous year, while her perceived enemies had already gained a headstart…

…Little information given about the ongoing civil war in Spain, probably purposely to avoid igniting fears that the German-supported Nationalists could cause a greater threat to Britain. And the mere suggestion that the arrival of the First Fleet influenced China's affairs is insulting at worst, laughable at best...
[Griffiths, Brittania Falters: The Interwar Years. England: Allen & Unwin, 1987]

Figure 4.3

It can easily be said that Britain entered 1937 in a far better state than what it was the previous year, and any message about the general public and government coping with the Monarch reshuffle was not exaggerated - in general the country coped well with the change, and were quite accepting of the new King George VI.
[Savage, Propaganda or Reality. England: Oxford University Press, 1966]

Most importantly, it should be noted that this broadcast was hastily put together to calm the British populace after the signing of the Anti-Comintern Pact, signed by the powers of Germany, Italy and Japan on the 23rd February 1937. While not threatening British interests directly (indeed, Soviet Russia was still seen as the chief enemy at the time), there can be no doubt that such a collaboration of potential threats was immediately seen as a threatening sign of things to come…
[Murison, The Sound of Drums. England: Transworld Publishers, 2007]

I must say that the King is a delightful fellow. Now, I'm off to a meeting with a chap called R J Mitchell, or something to that effect.

(In other words, great update!)

Memo to the Prime Minister and all department heads:

Gentlemen, with the signing of the anti-comintern pact between 3 of the most aggressive nations on the planet, I belive that we have to regard them as the most likely threat to the safety of the Empire.

I believe we must formulate a clear military strategy to pursue if and when one of them triggers a major war. I'm sure all of my collegues have thier own suggestions. Personally, I favor a defensive troop build-up in France along with heavy fortification of Egypt and Singapor.

In the meantime, however, we must accelerate rearmement and secure further international support.

Thank you,
God Save the King.

Top Bottom