1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Soundtrack is Out!

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by MasterEcabob, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Chieftain

Just checked itunes and the Rising Tide soundtrack is now available for purchase! I'm sure someone will have them up on youtube soon as well. Say what you will about the gameplay, the soundtrack for this game is top notch and the expansion soundtrack seems just as epic.

2. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Chieftain

Nice. Thanks for the update.

Although I really hope it's not completely new music (and ditching the old soundtrack entirely) regarding the in-game music. A good mixture of old and new is fine by me.

3. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Chieftain

We'll have to see, but its a safe bet they will replace the title music, as they did with G&K and BNW. The song they have now (planetfall) is a great intro piece, but if the track "Rising Tide" is what they are replacing it with then I'm perfectly fine with that. The chanting at the end is just glorious!

4. x2Madda

x2Madda Chieftain

I enjoyed Xenomancy, hope to get more songs like that one.

5. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I wonder whether they'll include it as part of the game (in the correct track listing and MP3 tags instead of loose random files) for people who bought the game as with Civ:BE proper?

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Probably, did they ever sell the Civ 5 or G&K or BNW soundtracks?

Besides, it's a waste of money given you have .ogg files anyway available for free with the game purchase.

7. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

I hope so! It was convenient to simply import them all to my account with all the information and cover art already setup.

I asked twice about this during the last livestream, since they were talking about a similar subject and getting the art files from the game to use as wallpapers and such, but didn't get an answer.

8. FXS_MisterKevin

FXS_MisterKevin Chieftain

The soundtrack is also available on Spotify for free streaming!

9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Nice. Thanks!

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I've listened to about half of it so far. I think I like it better than the original.

Edit: Ha! The Young World has hints of the Star Trek theme song in it.

11. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

Oh, man... I don't think I can wait 9 more days. I guess I'm going to have to create a Spotify account, haha.

12. SahintheFalcon

SahintheFalcon Chieftain

It's truly amazing. Definitely lives up to the original game's soundtrack.

13. winddysphere

winddysphere Chieftain

Welp...Asian....No Spotify yet...welp...

I guess I will have to wait for Youtube then. lol

14. Doviello

Doviello Chieftain

15. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

16. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Finally managed to listen through pretty much all of the soundtrack and I have to say, I'm impressed - it really incorporates the little ocean-inspired notes (almost bubble-like synth sounds) that still work for the space theme. The hopeful, uplifting strings are still there but feel a bit different - it's a broader, more resonant, more orchestral, while still fitting in with the existing tracks. I hope it's integrated into the ebb and flow of the game as well as the Civ:BE soundtrack.

17. Arnelos

Arnelos Chieftain

Bought the soundtrack on itunes the morning it came out. I've been listening in the car and at work for the past few days.

I have to say that the soundtrack is what kept bringing me back to playing vanilla BE and it will definitely be doing that with the expansion as well. The guys who worked on these soundtracks deserve a LOT of credit for making this game more compelling than it otherwise might be.

As for the tracks, my favorite of the original was Earth's Ambassadors, followed by Xenomancer.

For the expansion, my favorites so far are Lahar and Tide Hunter. That said, here's my #1 piece of feedback I was thinking through while listening through the tracks this week:

Listening to Holocene, I was thinking "Huh, there are some homages to Jerry Goldsmith. Ok, that's sorta neat." By the time I got to The Dendrite Frontier and Fractal Aquilon I was thinking "HOLY S---, GUYS! FIRAXIS IS COMMUNING WITH THE GHOST OF JERRY GOLDSMITH! GHOSTS ARE REAL, EVERYONE!" ;)

18. Arnelos

Arnelos Chieftain

I agree that they did a phenomenally good job with the oceanic tracks, in particular - they're really quite evocative of an aquatic setting. It's probably due to common sources of inspiration, but they remind me most of the World of Warcraft: Catacylsm soundtrack for the underwater zones (which was also well done in this regard).

As for the overall style, the color is brighter, more trebble, and individual (non-brass) soloists stick out more than they did with the original soundtrack (especially the ice tracks). I may generally prefer it the other way around (one reason I like the water tracks and Lahar), but this is great music. I have to figure that the apparent influence by Goldsmith was intentional and it's probably a good call. My guess is that they're hoping for their more scifi settings (the ice planets and volcanic planets) to be evocative of classic popular scifi such as Star Trek - and using music that reminds you of that inspiration could help set the mood for players.

Overall, should be a great addition to the original soundtrack when playing through the game. I'm looking forward to it.

19. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Chieftain

Yeah, my only complaint so far is the Old World main theme starts off sounding like the classic Binary Sunset melody from Star Wars, only to then fade out into something else. It makes me want to complete the theme in my head, which is a bit distracting!

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I actually like that. It subverts expectations.