The Spanish Civil War v4 for ToT + ToTPP + Lua - Development Thread [ON HOLD]

Pablostuka

King
Introduction to SCW v4

I first started designing and creating the Spanish Civil War scenario for Civ2 MGE back in 2002 when I was just a teenager. Back then I reached José Pellón (a.k.a. @Kramsib) in the Spanish Apolyton Site for permission to use his wonderful Iberian Peninsula map. The first version (v1) of my MGE SCW scenario was first released in June 2003 and used the -back then- revolutionary "nemoesque" (@Captain Nemo 's) graphic style, @CurtSibling 's city improvement graphics and title logo, and the ability to play both challenging (thanks to events compensating the AI weakness) individual games against the computer and also exciting human vs human PBEM multiplayer games, which were quite popular back in the day in sites such as CFC (Civilization Fanatics Center), Apolyton.net, CDG (Creative Design Group) and the German Civ Webring site among others.

The v1 scenario was beta-tested before public release by the Spanish Apolyton Site members jasev, @yaroslav, Amilca, El Léón, @academia, El Awrence, HsFB, belisariu and @Kramsib, the map designer. Several PBEM rounds and a full Demogame held at the -now gone- CDG site allowed me the release of an updated v2 version mid-year and a further v3 version was released in December 2003. That was the latest and "official" released version of the scenario.

In 2008 Drew Shortis (a.k.a. @McMonkey) reached me asking for permission for a major ToT overhaul of my scenario. He did a great job and finally released "The Spanish Civil War ToTPP" in 2015, scenario which can be downloaded here and here. However, @McMonkey 's major rework of my scenario is only playable from the Republican side. Apart from this, I always wanted to implement some personal ideas I had in mind (airlifting African troops, aviation aces, buildable airplanes) and also fix some bugs that pre-existed in MGE SCW v3.

It's been almost 20 years now since I first decided creating the SCW scenario but I have to admit I managed to start playing Civ2 ToT in my Windows 10 (now 11) machine, thanks to the efforts of several enthusiasts who keep this classic game alive and well, and I'm addicted. I'm currently rediscovering some classic scenarios which have been converted to ToT and use wonderfully designed graphics done by the most talented artists in the community. It's a new world compared to good old Civ2 MGE!

Having said this, the time to redesign my "classic" scenario has come. It's now, thanks to the latest ToT and ToTPP with Lua capabilities which allow scenario making reach levels never imagined before, when I can put in practice all my ideas without the old MGE limitations.

My starting point when I decided to upgrade v3 to a new v4 a few weeks ago consisted of:
This means the SCW v4 scenario development has started with having already a major graphic and Civ engine overhaul thanks to the work done by the above mentioned Civ2 enthusiasts. I can't thank you enough!

Last edited:
Changelog from version v3 (Civ2 MGE, December 2003) to version v4 (Civ2 ToT + ToTPP, first half of 2022) - Last updated: 14th February 2022

Major changes:
  • Revisited @COSMIC2 variables to benefit from latest ToTPP features (e.g. no stack kills, no cities wiped out on capture when size is 1, etc).
  • Revisited original scenario Events (which used macro language intended for Civ2 MGE and then ported to Civ2 ToT) to use Lua scripting (Events.lua) to benefit from increased events size and new features such as the use of variables and mutiple conditions. Some examples of these improvements are:
  1. Due to increased ToT event size, historical AI events are given more units to become more realistic and challenging for the human player.
  2. Due to increased ToT event size and the use of variables, reinforcements will arrive on different historical locations and on a random basis instead of every single turn, making each game experience unique.
  3. The above will also allow reinforcements arriving in numbers more historically suitable as these will never exceed actual historical figures.
  4. Multiple new historical events added (both political and military).
  • Increased number of unit types from 63 (MGE) to 189 (ToTPP). All graphic units have been drawn especifically for this scenario by Gareth Birch (@Fairline). These additional 126 units will give players an improved historical immersion and, among others, include:
  1. Buildable airplanes once the relevant factories are set up.
  2. Captured Republican units put into Nationalist service: concept obtained from McMonkey's The Spanish Civil War ToTPP scenario.
  3. Recon units (spy): concept obtained from classic Captain Nemo's Second Front scenario (Jeep).
  4. Aviation aces: One ace for each side, Joaquín García-Morato (Nationalist - 40 air victories) and José María Bravo (Republican - 23 air victories).
  5. Naval airplanes (floatplanes).
  6. Specific infantry divisions/brigades that were historically relevant.
  7. Tiznaos: Improvised armoured cars with little military success but important for troops' morale in the early days of the conflict.
  8. Included several German airplane prototypes tested in combat by the Condor Legion.
  • Implemented new ToT rules on building units (@UNITS_ADVANCED)
  • Scrapped original tech tree. Increased number of relevant technologies used from 26 to 100.
  • Implemented new ToT technology groups (@CIVILIZE2 and @LEADERS2)
  • Increased number of relevant wonders from 15 to 23 (plus other 5 made obsolete but present for historical immersion).
  • Revisited terrain under several cities, as some cities were misplaced on forest/hills+river on the map which made those unhistorically difficult to capture.
  • Expanded original map to include more of Northern Africa and the Mediterranean East of the Balearic Islands.
  • Revisited 'airfield' city improvement: Now it's unbuildable and used as 'Transport airplanes' on the Nationalist side only to airlift troops (L) from Spanish Morocco to Sevilla and Cádiz. To repair airplanes players will need to use the historically placed airfields.
  • When certain cities are captured, static infantry units owned by winning side are created on nearby airfields to avoid unrealistic automatic air reinforcements on losing side.
  • Guernica and Belchite towns will be destroyed by events: concept inspired by Paul (Kull) Cullivan's "Seeds of Greatness - The Early Empires" scenario and its depiction of the of the Thera volcano eruption.
  • Redesigned the bombardment of Almería event by German pocket battleship Admiral Scheer in May 1937. Now triggered by historical events.
  • Redesigned the revolt in Barcelona event by P.O.U.M. militia in May 1937.
  • Descriptions added to Describe.txt file for improved historical immersion.
Minor changes:
  • 5 new terrain types for improved geographical immersion.
  • Increased road multiplier from 3 to 4 to favour movement by road.
  • Motorised infantry units have same attack/defense/HP/firepower stats as regular infantry units, but move twice the distance.
  • Removed 'suburbs' (railroad) instant movement.
  • Decreased river multiplier to 0 to avoid using rivers for movement.
  • Decreased movement points from 2 to 1 to all militia units, but they keep the "alpine" flag to treat all terrain as roads.
  • Improved firepower and hitpoints of several artillery units.
  • Increased cost of Soviet transport ship so disbanding it will provide enough shields to build relevant units.
  • Decreased riot factor to increase chance of revolts if Republican side loses Madrid and its wonders (the devastating effect when originally designed was never achieved)
  • Given the Canarias and Baleares cruiser to the Nationalist side via events as soon as they were historically available. Same with other naval units which appeared later during the conflict.
  • Rebalanced the existing FT-17 units on July 1936 for both sides to meet historical numbers.
  • Added extra Polish FT-17s acquired in 1937 for the Republic arriving via events.
  • Renamed most city improvements and existing v3 unit names for an improved historical immersion.
  • Revisited Trirreme rules and message to simulate Republican presence in the Straits of Gibraltar for Nationalist human player.
  • Revisited building queues on all cities. The war just started to they will all try to draft troops/improvised armor initially.
  • Removed pre-existing city defences on all cities so human player can build them if needed.
  • Proofread and amended generic existing event text.
  • Repaired some sound files which didn't work in ToT.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it and it's great we have another returning designer!

Guernica and Belchite towns will be destroyed by events: concept inspired by Paul (Kull) Cullivan's "Seeds of Greatness - The Early Empires" scenario and its depiction of the of the Thera volcano eruption.

If you have a moment, check out my video on strategic bombing in OTR (developed by Knighttime)... You could use the same concept and add it to as many cities as you want.

Strategic Bombing in Civ2

Around 4:50 you can see the concept in action.

Current development status - last updated 14th October 2022

CONFIGURATION FILES (Rules, Game, Labels, etc)
  • Reviewed @ COSMIC section and implemented ToTPP specific @COSMIC2 section - COMPLETED
  • Implemented ToT specific @CIVILIZE2 and @LEADERS2 tech groups - COMPLETED
  • Redesign brand new tech tree - IN PROGRESS
  • Redesign city improvements and wonders - COMPLETED
  • Implement expiration of wonders by new technologies - COMPLETED
  • Rework existing 63 MGE units - COMPLETED
  • Design and implement the new 126 units - COMPLETED
  • Implement ToT specific @UNITS_ADVANCED section - COMPLETED
  • Rework existing terrain/resources (Map 1) and implement 5 additional terrains/resources - COMPLETED
  • Implement/encode sounds for all the 189 units - PENDING
  • Review and rewrite relevant texts in Labels and Game files - IN PROGRESS
MAP FILES
  • Map 1: Standard - COMPLETED
  • Map 2: Political - COMPLETED
  • Map 3: Strategic - IN PROGRESS
  • Map 4: Weather - PENDING
GRAPHIC FILES
  • New Cities - COMPLETED
  • New Units - COMPLETED
  • New Terrains - IN PROGRESS
  • New Icons/Improvements - IN PROGRESS
  • New People - COMPLETED
  • New Title - COMPLETED
  • New user interface (dialog/civwin_back/boarder/city) - IN PROGRESS
  • New extra graphics contained in DLL files - IN PROGRESS
SCENARIO FILE
  • Expand original scenario map further South and East - COMPLETED
  • Review city/roads/terrain/custom resource placement (Map 1) - COMPLETED
  • Define unit size representation in-game vs real terms - COMPLETED
  • Initial unit placement as per historical records/OOBs (Map 1) - IN PROGRESS
  • Review city improvements/production queues using Civitas tool (Map 1) - COMPLETED
  • Assign relevant starting techs to tribes - COMPLETED
  • Other/Misc. scenario file edits and tweaks - COMPLETED
  • Start a new Fantasy game to integrate the additional 3 maps into the same .scn file and import all data - COMPLETED
EVENT FILES / LUA CODE
  • Event planning & design - IN PROGRESS
    • Game Mechanics - IN PROGRESS
    • Historical Events - PENDING
  • Event implementation - IN PROGRESS
    • Game Mechanics - IN PROGRESS
    • Historical Events - PENDING
  • Event debug & test - IN PROGRESS
  • In-game reporting system implementation (unit status, battle outcome, etc) - IN PROGRESS
  • Weather engine - PENDING
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Implement new file directory structure and batch loader - COMPLETED
  • Source and encode additional in-game sound/music files - PENDING
  • Write Civilopedia entries for all relevant units, techs, improvements, etc - PENDING

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it and it's great we have another returning designer!

If you have a moment, check out my video on strategic bombing in OTR (developed by Knighttime)... You could use the same concept and add it to as many cities as you want.

Strategic Bombing in Civ2

Around 4:50 you can see the concept in action.

Hi! Thanks :) Yes I downloaded your revolutionary OTR scenario, already saw the video and trying it out is in my to-do list :)

I hear what you mean, but in my case the destruction of these 2 small towns (one by air bombing, another by land battle) is not related with any implicit strategic bombing purpose, in a way that there was no selective bombing in order to destroy X military objective in these towns. Translating this into Civ2, there's no purpose in destroying a particular city improvement in any of these 2 towns, as these were entirely wiped out directly.

For instance, Guernica had several fully operational weapons and ammunition factories and a bridge over a river (which back in the day was used as the excuse to justify the bombing), but these potential military targets were not targeted and didn't take any damage. The 30 tons of bombs (including 3 tons of incendiary bombs) were dropped entirely in the city centre, and not in the industrial suburbs, over the people's houses reducing the town to ashes. So in Civ2 terms I see more logical to just wipe out the entire city and leave a new "ruins/rubble" terrain on its place instead.

In the case of Belchite there were no factories or military objectives at all. It just happened to be a small town in the middle of the way for a major offensive which aimed to take Zaragoza, and where the Nationalists entrenched and tried to resist the Republican offensive. The fights were so heavy that the town ended up entirely destroyed.

Guernica:

Belchite (never rebuilt after the war and preserved as a "memorial")

Pablo

What I am currently working on: reviewing all the relevant Lua posts and related material in this community to plan the events accordingly. Just checking basic Lua introductory posts by @Prof. Garfield, the ToTPP Lua function reference and also this thread on the Lua possibilities applied to Civ2 so I learn how to translate everything I want to implement in actual Lua code. Luckily I'm working as a software developer since 2005 so picking this language up shouldn't be too challenging, and it can be something nice to add to LinkedIn too :D

Here's some of the remaining units Pablo; SM-62 to follow

SCW bits n bobs.png

Here's some of the remaining units Pablo; SM-62 to follow

View attachment 620421

That's simply wonderful, thanks!!! Please give the SM62 early republican markings. Both the dornier and SM62 were used by both sides so I'd like to give some balance as the Dornier is in Nationalist markings already.

Again, thanks a lot, they look outstanding

yeah, I assumed the SM.62 should be Republican. Should the He-59 be generic?

Here's some tweaks btw: tried to make the Vildebeest and R-5 a little more distinct from each other and the RZ and tweaked your Loire 46 a bit. Also, the Fokker CX I drew originally had a radial engine, which I think is wrong for the Spanish Civil War and they only used te in-line engine version.

SCW bits n bobs 2.png

yeah, I assumed the SM.62 should be Republican. Should the He-59 be generic?

Here's some tweaks btw: tried to make the Vildebeest and R-5 a little more distinct from each other and the RZ and tweaked your Loire 46 a bit. Also, the Fokker CX I drew originally had a radial engine, which I think is wrong for the Spanish Civil War and they only used te in-line engine version.

View attachment 620504

Thanks for these Gareth, my initials on the Loire are not deserved as I just used chunks of your Polish PZL P.11C mixed with bits and bobs of your French Dewoitines, so it's all yours :)

The He-59 should keep its Nationalist markings, it was a Condor Legion exclusive airplane. And very deadly BTW, most of the 17 planes received were equipped with a 20mm cannon and bombs/torpedoes, sinking 52 ships in the war themselves alone. These Heinkel, nicknamed "Zapatones" (big shoes), contributted to put out of service the Jaime I battleship for the rest of the war until it exploded while being repaired .

You have done a greatr job in these other tweaks. And yes, the Spanish Fokker C.X had an inline engine: the manufacturing trials in Spain included using a Soviet Klimov M-100 V-12 engine (license-built version of the Hispano-Suiza 12Y). This is the only picture I was able to find of the plane which arrived to Spain to serve as a model for manufacture:

Fokker C.X.jpg

I love these tiny bits which add more flavour. I have only 2 playable civs and all others are just there as "decoration" so...let's use the unused government types and titles to add additional historical immersion!

For instance, Salazar's Estado Novo :

2022-02-14 00_03_23-Civilization II_ Test of Time.png

Or the Tangier International Zone:

2022-02-14 00_04_16-Civilization II_ Test of Time.png

Regarding scenario progress, this weekend's dedication has allowed me to refine the tech tree, set tribe starting technologies and expand the original map South and East to have more of Northern Africa and the Mediterranean around the Balearic Islands without losing all my previous work, thanks to @Prof. Garfield 's script to move game data from one savegame to another. I also took the opportunity to amend some misplaced terrain and rivers and added some extra cities. Lua is proving very useful to do such fixes :)

But not only that, I have also successfully implemented the ToT features @CIVILIZE2 and @LEADERS2 to allow 5 different technology groups and also resolved several issues I had with technologies and unit obsolescence.

Scenario status' post updated.

More to come...

Pablo

Last edited:
Having played the McMonkey Version, let me ask three questions
1. Can you play the Nationalists? Or any other side/government?
2. Do you have any RP control? Like if you play the Republicans, can you throw your hat in with the Anarchists, the Communists or the liberals to see who comes out on top in the struggle for control for the soul of the Republican cause and the Nationalists in turn? If not that's OK, it's your show obviously, but since this is a bit of revamp, I thought I'd ask.
3. The McMonkey version had it the Nationalists and their Axis allies could and absolutely would attack Soviet aid vessels coming into Catalonian ports. Did that happen historically?! My google-fu seems to get weaker every year but I can't find anything to confirm that and Stalin doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take that sort of thing lying down or with good humor. If not, is that simply for game balance or does that represent something historical that the Civ 2 engine simply cannot simulate any other way?

Hi there

Having played the McMonkey Version, let me ask three questions
1. Can you play the Nationalists? Or any other side/government?

You will be able to play 3 types of games as in all the previous versions since I released the game: Nationalists single player, Republican single player and Multiplayer (any of both - not sure how multiplayer works in ToT but I'll leave that there). The other tribes (France, UK, Portugal and Tangier) were and will be non-playable.

2. Do you have any RP control? Like if you play the Republicans, can you throw your hat in with the Anarchists, the Communists or the liberals to see who comes out on top in the struggle for control for the soul of the Republican cause and the Nationalists in turn? If not that's OK, it's your show obviously, but since this is a bit of revamp, I thought I'd ask.

Not sure what you mean by RP. There will be multiple political events, changes of governments and leader names, etc. Lua will allow me to historically depict the different Republican governments for extra historical immersion (so a change from previous versions and from the previous post's screenshot) is that instead of depicting the head of state - Presidente de la República - who really had little power of decision, in v4 it will depict the head of the government - presidente del consejo de ministros- (prime minister if you want to put it that way). So in July 1936 the Republican tribe's leader will be Santiago Casares Quiroga and that will be changing. Same with the Nationalist side, initially their leader will be José Sanjurjo Sacanell...Franco in July 1936 was far from being the leader of all the rebel generals...apart from that, mutiple special techs and events non related to military reinforcements will be present. As I said in the changelog, now I am using 100 relevant technologies, while previous versions only used 26.

3. The McMonkey version had it the Nationalists and their Axis allies could and absolutely would attack Soviet aid vessels coming into Catalonian ports. Did that happen historically?! My google-fu seems to get weaker every year but I can't find anything to confirm that and Stalin doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take that sort of thing lying down or with good humor. If not, is that simply for game balance or does that represent something historical that the Civ 2 engine simply cannot simulate any other way?

Oh yes that happened historically, I implemented that feature since the first release of the scenario back in 2003 (Italian submaries and Soviet freighters). But back then in previous versions of the game having a Soviet ship arriving to the Spanish ports had little or no impact as they were not even worth disbanding, it was purely "historical flavour". But in v4 they will play an important (but not vital) role thanks to Lua. It will be as historical as Lua allows me, as war material also arrived through the -often closed- French border.

The most famous of these sunk/captured Soviet vessels was the Komsomol. And yes, of course Stalin got furious, he tried to persuade the Non-Intervention Committee to treat the Nationalists as "pirates" so the international fleets could open fire against the Nationalist ships, but as always, France and the UK were too afraid of Hitler and...you know the story. The Non-Intervention Committee Naval Patrols in the end did nothing to stop these activities (on the contrary, Italian and German patrols served to report the location of merchant shipping to the Nationalists, while Legionarii Italian submarines directly opened fire themselves on multiple occasions as long as they could be undetected), while on the other side, nothing happened to the continuous German and Italian aid to the rebel side. As a side note, there were multiple international incidents in our war (too many to mention now) that could have led to a very early WW2.

Rearding these Soviet freighters, if you ever have the chance to visit the Naval Museum in Madrid, they even have on display some of the flags of 10 captured/sunk Soviet vessels. In this link (in Spanish) there's more information. Please find below some photos of these flags on the museum display (photos by Miguel Ángel Ferreiro / @retohistorico).

English translation: Flags of Soviet freighters captured by the Nationalist Navy during the Civil War (1936-1939). These belonged, among others, to the vessels XXXXX (list fo ship names)

Regards,

Pablo

Last edited:
Multiplayer (any of both - not sure how multiplayer works in ToT but I'll leave that there).

More on this: the Multiplayer version was and will be nothing more than a simpler single-player version with no special AI events, no AI-driven offensives and no unit loss compensation to make the human game harder, but all the other features. I plan to include this in v4 too, selectable by batch program, the same way it used to be 20 years ago :)

Quick update: Not a lot of progress in the last few days (weekends are usually more productive), I'm just tweaking the original map, city placement, industry, farming and other resources to make the new update as much geographically/historically accurate as possible. For instance, I'm using 1930s road maps for reference, nowadays one can find in the internet much better resources than when I first designed the scenario back in 2002 :D.

Once all terrain tiles, city placement and city improvements are up to my entire satisfaction, I'll rework the initial unit placement as the next step. For this I need to ensure to have a consistent conversion ratio from actual historical numbers (divisions, brigades, air wings, squadrons, etc) and civ2 units and this is going to be a major challenge: I need to design a satisfactory ratio-conversion model wich works nicely and while historical, is balanced for gameplay and player satisfaction. I have included several "unique" units and I don't want in-game to show that a single plane can shot down an entire squadron, or that a light cruiser destroys an entire infantry brigade on a shore bombardment. But at the same time I don't want to have hundreds of infantry units roaming around the map and very few units of other types, so I will review what I did back in the day with the original unit placement, and come up with a proper conversion ratio that I can apply throughout the game.

That's all for now...

For instance, I'm using 1930s road maps for reference, nowadays one can find in the internet much better resources than when I first designed the scenario back in 2002 :D.

Even though I'm in the most boring stage (reviewing and correcting city placement, terrains, roads, etc), it can also get interesting with the nice material I am using for reference. Have a look at some of the historical maps I mentioned...all really interesting stuff sourced from my government's National Geographic Institute:

Map1.jpg

Map2.jpg

Map3.jpg

They have digitalised historical maps from everywhere in the world, but the website is not in English (or I can't find the translation button). So if any scenario designer is in need of such resources, I am happy to help looking at what they have (just let me know country and era and I can look for you:

https://www.ign.es/web/catalogo-cartoteca/search-country.html

Regards,

Pablo

Hi all, a brief update on how are things as of today 23rd Feb 2022:

I have finished with all the map tweaks, relocating existing cities and placing new cities, roads, etc, including the expanded South and East areas of the original map. I am almost done with editing each city's improvements and production using the civitas tool, and I finally came up with the following unit conversion ratio which adjusts best to my original scenario unit stats and placement (but of course I need to re-do all unit placement again):

Naval units = 1:1

One civ2 naval unit equals to 1 actual ship up to and including the size of destroyers, submarines, large freighters and gunboats.

Air Units = 1: (1-6)

One civ2 air unit equals to a number between 1 to 6 actual airplanes (1/2 "escuadrilla")

So 1 "escuadrilla" (standard air unit in 1930s Spain, which consisted of 12 airplanes and was bigger than a flight but smaller than a squadron), will be represented by 2 Civ2 air units. But specific airplanes which served in smaller numbers than 6 will also be represented by 1 Civ2 unit. With this we have:

1 Escuadrilla: 2 Civ2 units
1 Grupo (air group): 4 Civ2 units

Infantry/MG/motorised inf. units = 1:150

One civ2 infantry unit will equal to a "compañía" (company) of 150 soldiers. Therefore with this we expand as follows:

1 Battalion: 5 Civ2 units (750 soldiers).
1 Regiment: 10 Civ2 units (1500 soldiers)
1 Brigade: 20 Civ2 units (3000 soldiers).
1 Division: 60 Civ2 units (9000 soldiers)

Of course there are exceptions (Guardia Civil garrisons on each town) and differences and particularities between sides (the Nationalists had divisions formed by 5 brigades, while the Republicans usually by 3 brigades, also the latter used a concept of mixed brigades "brigada mixta" formed by 5 battalions), and we have special particularities with the Army of Africa (tercios, banderas, tabores, etc) and the militia columns, but this standard ratio will allow me to depict the historical numbers on starting units and limit foreign reinforcements to historical figures.

Armoured units = 1: (1-6)

One civ2 armoured unit equals to a number between 1 to 6 actual vehicles (1/2 tank company). With this we expand as follows:

1 Tank Company: 2 Civ2 units (12 tanks).
1 Tank Battalion: 6 Civ2 units (36 tanks)

Artillery units = 1:4

One civ2 artillery unit equals to 1 artillery battery of 4 pieces/cannons. With this we expand as follows:

1 Light Artillery Regiment: 9 Civ2 units (9 batteries - 36 pieces)
1 Heavy Artillery Regiment: 6 Civ2 units (6 batteries - 24 pieces)

Some actual in-game examples:

The maximun number of T-26B tanks to be received in the game will be limited to 47 (281)
The maximum number of CR.32 planes to be received will be limited to 63 (376)
The initial numbers of Legion units on scenario start will be 18 civ2 units (2 legions, of 3 "banderas" each, each "bandera" with 3 infantry companies + 1 MG company). During the war each bandera received a 4th company, which will translate into 6 additional civ2 units created by events.

In the end, with these ratios what I am trying is at some extent to be able to depict something plausible but also playable, and not come up with unhistorical situations where one plane destroys an entire infantry division of 10K men or one AA battery shots down an entire air wing :) Happy to hear your thoughts on this!

Regards,

Pablo

In the end, with these ratios what I am trying is at some extent to be able to depict something plausible but also playable, and not come up with unhistorical situations where one plane destroys an entire infantry division of 10K men or one AA battery shots down an entire air wing :) Happy to hear your thoughts on this!

Regards,

Pablo

The best and simplest method to avoid the multiple unit stack kills is to use ToTPP No Stack Kills feature. As per the current v0.18 reference guide:

Code:
42. No stack kills: Enables the @COSMIC2 key 'NoStackKills'
When enabled with value 1, unit stacks are not removed in their entirety after defeat.

The particular mechanics depend on the domain:
- For land stacks, only the defender is killed;
- For ship stacks carrying land units the defender is sunk together with its cargo;
- For ships carrying air units (i.e. carriers or submarines) the defender is sunk and the air units remain.

Defaults to 0, disabled.

Oh yes of course, I'm using that feature in my Rules.txt file. What I meant with my previous message is that I mean to represent each civ2 unit into something that makes sense battle-wise (ground vs ground, air vs air, air vs ground, vs sea, etc). I've seen many scenarios in the past (and I've made that mistake myself too) with a ship unit shore bombarding and wiping out entire divisions, because the civ2 unit representation was too off. What I want to achieve with my game is that a batte victory (a unit is destroyed) is something that could make sense.

I'm only not too convinced between the infantry vs armoured (150 soldiers vs 6 tanks in real life), but it's the only way the latter can have an active role in-game. It's hard to balance historical accuracy with playability...

Top Bottom