1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Spanish Reconquista (RCQ)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by LouLong, Mar 25, 2005.

1. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Well, that's a nice welcome !

Now a few "cold shower" remarks :

- size : 23 MB
    - the scenario is not "complete". But since I got little feedback from the beta-test version and since I won't be able to work on it for a while, I chose to release this anyway. It is playable, it just lacks many gfx on improvements, wonders, 1 LH, a few pedia texts,... It is just I need it to be tested to finish the last things I need to add/adjust. No bugs in gameplay AFAIK. But one bug if you click on strategic resources in the pedia. Don't know why.
    - A bug just as in the Napoleonic conquest. If one plays the Almoravids, he/she should not have any diplomatic exchange with other civs for 2 turns (otherwise it is much to easy to rip them off). Nothing I can do about it.
    - All alliances are full at the moment. So no place for Aragon-Provence albeit it is a pretty good idea. But you can easily change that in the editor.

2. music_theory7

music_theory7 Warlord

What is with the Alpha Centauri graphics?

3. Crash757

Crash757 King

And u're saying u needed beta testers for that ? U could have added and tested new graphics yourself, graphics don't usually get bugs :rolleyes:

4. LouLong

Well, they definitely can, sorry to have to tell you the truth.
    BTW nice map in that Baltic map of yours !

Links to files posted (post 2) !

Have fun and let me know.

5. Crash757

Crash757 King

I'm using your map for my mod, duh :D Though nobody plays it anyway, so it's no big deal :rolleyes:

6. Crash757

Crash757 King

7. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

i got the same error as crash but for the guild. btw, this looks fantastic. thank you Loulong. ive always been a fan of your mighty fine work, and this llooks amazing.

ok Lou, i fixed these 2 bugs (mine and crashes) it turns out you had
    "#TECH_TECH_Guilds_LARGE
    Art\tech chooser\Icons\Guilds_Large.pcx
    #TECH_TECH_Muslim_Gunpowder_LARGE
    Art\tech chooser\Icons\Islam_large.pcx"

you just need to remove one "TECH" from the entry and it'll work

8. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

one more thing, the civs seem to ONLY raze cities, not capture them. maybe increase the number of optimal cities?

9. Crash757

Crash757 King

It's ok, as it is. Some cities are very close to each other and AI city razing just frees up some space ;)

10. lastchairsax

lastchairsax Chieftain

When i try to load the scenario, i get an error message that says the text for
    <txt.pedialcon/ICON/BLDG?Madrasa> is missing an entry.

I went and looked at the pedialcons and found the entry. It reads as follows:

#ICON_BLDG_Madrasa
    ERA
    art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\librarylarge.pcx
    art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\librarysmall.pcx

Has anyone else had this problem or know how i might fix it?

Thanks for your help.

11. LouLong

@ King Coltrane : thanks for noticing that.

@ Carsh and King Coltrane : in the Taifas version (that I will release later), AI don't raze so many cities. Even now I have limited the razing by Nasrids and Almohads. But the Christians still do when they capture the Almoravids cities (probably because of size and culture). Haven't found a way around that and I don't think it is even possible. Only dividing them into different taifas.

@ lastchairsax : never met that problem. The "?" in the error report is weird though. Will check that. Maybe it is in the civilopedia... But I don't understand why I never encountered it. Maybe because I modify my own pedia regularly.

@ all : feedback, bug report, ... extremely welcome !

12. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

I started a game as the Almoravids (and was getting my butt kicked by the fanatics by the way) but the game crashed when I tried to check resources in the civpedia...strategic resources, specifically. Other than my Ansar warriors laying down and dying for anyone who gave them a mean look, I was having fun.

lastchairsax, I didn't get that message so I don't know what's up with that. My game loaded without a hitch.

13. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

Loulong, may i suggest a little more variety for the muslim civs later in the game? it seems that with them all that happens is they use the units they have initially and then later the mozarabs... i would like to see a little more to do with them, though im not sure what.
    also! biggie here! you know the order of XXX wonders? well i checked the BIQ and you need to fix the units they produce. they are moved down by one thing and so the last one produces a chebek (sp?) i fixed this in my game, but you should know that.
    one last thing, can you give a description of which gov't to use and when/why? i just stuck to early monarchy as Leon and was easily able to win.

14. lastchairsax

lastchairsax Chieftain

Hey, I apologize, but the information i gave you was not quite correct.
    I went and double checked, and here is what the error message said exactly:

Missing entry in "text\pedialcons.txt": ICON_BLDG_Madrasa

(there was no question mark "?" in the entry at all)

The civilopedia entry is listed under SPACESHIP COMPONENTS as:

#BLDG_Madrasa
    ^
    ^
    ^A [Madrasa] provides a 50% research output for the city it is constructed in.
    #DESC_BLDG_Madrasa
    ^
    ^
    ^The madrasa is a Koranic school and is the closest equivalent in the Muslim world of a school or a library in Civ3

15. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

Er... could you just have Almoravids "Skip 1st Turn"? Or does the Locked War make this unviable?

16. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Wow, this mod seems very thorough; it must have taken a lot of work! Looks great, and I will download immediately!

I did a report for Spanish class on La Reconquista, glad to see it in Civ!

SilverKnight

17. LouLong

@ Hrafnkell : historicall speaking the Almoravids had already dissapeared as such, being replaced by small taifas fighting one another. In this scenario albeit it is really large it is basically meant to be eaten by the fanatics (who can in turn become decadent !) while Christians take advantage of the wars in the south to bite a bit and round their holdings. Now the fanatics seem not to do so well after conquering the South.... but otherwise they should basically clean the Almoravids (who are then supposed to be real challenging).
    That strategic resource bug I encountered and mentionned already. Now the real pb is I don't know where it comes from (and therefore neither do I know how to slove it !).

@ King Coltrane : variety : there will be, albeit much more limited than for Christians. They start with a big advantage but don't evolve that fast. Nevertheless since I needed some good testing before I had not finalized the late Muslim tech-tree. They should get at least : saboteurs (missile-like suicidal slaves) when they get first knowledge of gunpowder (before the Christians as for most of the other techs) and some musket units, maybe even a fantasia unit (horsemen with muskets). That part is just not completed (5-6 techs, 3 units).
    Wonders : thanks for the report. Should be enough to release an updated biq soonish.
    Governments : arggh seems I forgot to update another part of the civilopedia (governments use 2 places in it and obviously I just changed 1). Will do.
    Winning as Leon easily with Early Monarchy.... Can you tell me more ? Balance is an important part of this testing period so I need to know what level, what strategy you used, if some units, improvements,... made it very easy (or were even gamebreakers), when you won...........). On the other hand Leon is not a bad civ. It is not really threatened by Almoravids, is quite large (strategic depth) and has Santiago and luxuries. Congrats on the victory anyway. And if you want to post screenshots, be my guest ! :)

@ lastchairsax : OK, the text is fine and the "spaceship component" just a convenient place for me to "store" new improvements. My best bet is you did not save/unzip in the proper place. You must unzip both the main 28 MB and the biq files into Conquests/Scenarios, NOT conquests/conquests. In the Scenario folder you should have both the Reconquista folder and the Reconquista v1.0 biq.

@ Sir Donald III : might be an interesting idea. It can also help the conquest by fanatics ! Need to check but this idea could be brilliant.

@ SilverKnight : thanks. But try it first. Some bugs still around and it is not complete yet (albeit for Christians it is 90% done and you can play a long time with no issue except some placeholder gfx).
    It probably won't be exactly as in your report but I hope it will be quite close AND fun ! Let me know when you have played....

18. LouLong

Biq v 1.1 uploaded. You don't need to change anything with the main scenario folder, just replace the old biq by the v.1.1 one.

Changes :

- bug about Universities corrected. They could not be built before because they required madrasas.... They require monasteries.
    - bug about unit-spawning wonders normally corrected. Piracy dominance spawns checbeck as it should.
    - Despotism is now attached to the Piracy tech and has no more War Weariness. Pirates can now generate ransomable prisonners too if they win a combat. Pirates should now be much more effective.
    - some troop changes have been made (no more Arab knights for the Nasrids for instance, France and Provence as more advanced have some feudal knights already, they might get feudalism from the start as well).
    - corrected bug for ships buidable with the tech Naval Cannon.

19. LouLong

If you are not afraid of playing with files, I have added a small patch in post 2.
    This includes new pediaicons and civilopedia files. It should correct the tech_guilds bug and add infos on governments (among other things).

20. eddie_verdde

eddie_verdde Warlord

What can I say? Being a Portuguese I could only be delighted with this new mod. Congratulations LouLong. It was somewhat frustrating to play the Middle Ages scenario with the Cordovans because they were the only civ available to play in the Iberian Peninsula and I always dreamed of a scenario where I could play as the Portuguese to rule over the Peninsula....

I haven't played the mod yet so I can not make judgements other than geographical: lovely details such as the wines in the river Douro (Porto Wine), or the Olives in Alentejo (Southern Portugal), the Orders of Avis and The Chanson of Roland make this mod very interesting and accurate. So far, I only miss the Estrela Mountains in the center of Portugal and I also noted that the city of Viseu should be dislocated 2 or 3 squares to the West. And by the way what happened to River Mondego? During the reconquista this river in the center of Portugal was a kind ofgeographical border between the Christians (North) and the Muslims (South).

But it looks like a very good scenario, nonetheless.