The Spanish Reconquista (RCQ)

Your comments are welcome. This scenario is not a finished product nobody should touch. If I can improve it I will.
owever you must understand sometimes realism is not possible or is difficult for gameplay, balance or other reasons. For instance a city can be slightly wrongly placed to have more land to use or to create a proper frontier.

I can move Viseu one squre SW and 1 squre West. Not much more afterwards. Anyway it is still East of Coimbra ! I have checked and will add the river Mondego.
On the other hand I am clueless about the Estrela (=star ?) mountains.... Are they South of the Tage ?
If you see anything else like city that did not exist back then or city that should be but is not on the map or anything else (like famous Portuguese leaders,...) don't hesitate and tell me.

BTW is it Avis or Aviz in Portuguese ? Would Aviz be Spanish ?

I am otherwise delighted you can play your country (especially since I am 1/4 Portuguese myself ! (but don't speak at all)) and I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as looking at it.

And remember things can change and evolve before I consider this scenario complete.

I don't really like your muslim cities, so I began making some cities inspired by my recent trip to Andalucia. I will complete them if you want them.

Attachments

• Moorish city.gif
    Moorish city.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 456
Nice !
But what about I make a lunar mod ??? Will you go there on vacations to check ? lol

BTW does the scenario makes you feel like you were back there ?
BTW2 : romantic holidays ?

Hi,
I played the scenario and I must rate it A+. The technologies, the players are realistic. But it crashed when I tried to look for sth in the civilipedia, I will try the new version.
BTW, I'd like to comment a few things.
I think the AI razes cities too easily. It's a personal matter, anyway.
The capital of Aragon was Jaca when the scenario starts, but Jaca belong to Navarra in the scenario, and the capital of Aragon is set in Barcelona.
I've investigated a little and that's what I've found:
"En 1035 el condado de Aragón se independizó del reino de Navarra, por lo que Jaca es la cuna del reino de ARAGÓN. En 1096 se trasladó la capital del reino de Aragón a Huesca."
Translation:
"In 1035 county of Aragon was made independent of kingdom of Navarra, so Jaca is the cradle of kingdom of Aragon. In 1096 the capital of kingdom of Aragon was moved to Huesca"

After that, in XII century, the capital was moved again to Zaragoza, when it was conquered.

And Soria is located a few tiles to the east of the loaction in the scenario.

ok lou, heres what i did (on emperor level):
first thing i built in each city was a feudal knight (traded with valencia for feudalism) and after i had like 14ish i went south and attacked the almoravids. i thought it would be much harder than it was. i managed to get deep into southern iberia, went west to southern almoravid portugal, all the while i was building more knights and garrisoning them around toledo, then i started a push east with the toledo garrison, drove them back to cordova in the south with my initial force, (that was their last city there), brought that force up to the walls of cordova, sued for peace and got EVERY other city of theirs as part of the deal. almost immediately after cordova fell to the nasrids. then i went back to get portugal which was easy due to previous valencian actions there, then i amassed something like 50 arabalets and a few pikemen, and organized about 30ish knights, medium and feudal, into 4 squads, all along the border with castillia. then after my alliance with them against provence (done for lux's and money) was up, i declared war. i used the slower infantry in the north to just keep pushing forward while my mobile cav. forces swept the south until they could converge. then i just drove them back, taking navarra (they had taken it beforehand) and france (same deal). then i took aragon (which had conquered provence) by simply using pikemen to repule the initial force in the north while i used a cav sweep in the south around barcelona. then after that i took valencia using the same strategy. finally i amassed all my forces on the border with the fanatics, again using an infantry trench warfare type thing to hold back their first charge and then after taking a few cities from each civ (locked alliance) i got the domination victory.

i would say muslims need more defense early on, 3 for their pikes isnt enough. also i didnt even encounter the pirates. not once. maybe that should be adressed.
basically the way to win is to just amass cavalry and run through territory as fast as you can until your reserves = your active force, then repeat, and repeat, until you win lol. i would make the christian units weaker than the muslim ones until half way through the reconquista tech era...

in conclusion, this scenario is amazing. i truly enjoyed it. excellent job my friend! excellent job.

Actually, the best information I can find LouLong says that c. 1030 there were about 20 petty states in southern Spain (What had been the Ummayad Calphate - and by 1065 there were only 10) but in 1086 the Andalusian emirates, under attack from Christian north, including King Alfonso, called on Ibn Tashfin and his Berber warriors to cross the Strait of Gibraltar and come to their rescue. By 1090 the invaders had taken control of Muslim Spain - these invaders were the Almarovids, who had risen to power in Africa and who had established Marrakesh (from which Morcco is named) in 1060.

Over the next 10 years they gained control of all Morocco and within another 20 years, of course, they controlled Muslim Spain. If your scenario begins in 1085, you have the taifa's misnamed as the Almoravids, who were not yet even in Spain. The invaders you call the Almohads should be the Almoravids instead. The Almohads did indeed arrive in Spain and defeat the Almoravids, but not until 1147, subjugating the Maghrib, and capturing Marrakech, (which became the Almohad capital) did the Almohads conquer Almoravid N. Africa. It was not until Caliph Abu Ya'qub Yusuf (1163-84) forced the surrender of Seville in 1172 that the Almohads gained control of Spain. Until then Spain had been left to the Almoravids. You have the Almoravids already established and broken into petty states before they even arrived in Spain, and I could find no evidence that the Almoravids suffered the fate of the Ummayads, whom I think you meant to be represented by the allied taifas.

I can understand the difficulty of trying to represent not one, but two basically off-map invading forces, given my difficulties in trying to make the Romans work in my Hellenstic Kingdoms, but perhaps you should rename the "Almoravids" though I'm not sure to what, since the Ummayads came to an end in Spain c. 1001.

LouLong said:
Nice !
But what about I make a lunar mod ??? Will you go there on vacations to check ? lol

BTW does the scenario makes you feel like you were back there ?
BTW2 : romantic holidays ?

Ok I'm opening a preview thread.
Nah, space travel is a bit too expencive I'm afraid:p

Well I didn't have time to try it yet.
Romantic holidays? Yeah I guess one could say that :mischief:

LouLong said:
On the other hand I am clueless about the Estrela (=star ?) mountains.... Are they South of the Tage ?

BTW is it Avis or Aviz in Portuguese ? Would Aviz be Spanish ?

I am otherwise delighted you can play your country (especially since I am 1/4 Portuguese myself ! (but don't speak at all)) and I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as looking at it.

Actually the "Star Moutains" do appear in your map, they are just below Viseu, maybe that's why I found that Viseu should be located further to the East. River Mondego starts in "Star Mountains" and goes southwest, with Coimbra located in its northern bank.

For the sake of geographical accuracy: :)

I would put Setobal 2 tiles to the north as it is very near Lisbon.

Ourique was an important city (1 tile to the west and 1 tile to southwest of Mertola).

The central region of Portugal (between river Tage and river Daurus) could have a little more forests.

With respect to your Aviz/Avis question, in most books I read I found it as "Aviz", it's not a matter of Portuguese/Spanish, it's just the way we write it :)

I'm new to this download of scenarios thing, so could you tell me what I need to do if I want to change some map features?

A couple of questions:

- what are the effects of Toledo Blacksmith, Huerta Technics, Piracy Dominance and Pilgrimage of Santiago Great Wonders?

- when does the Iron resource appear on map?

- why does Leon starts the game with Muslim Pikemen?

- silly question: can Christian players export wines to Muslim players? Because you know the muslim religion prohibits drinking of alcoholic beverages lol :)

- in the map editor what can I do to create a new city or change the location of cities?

Someone probably already reported this, but it crashed, when I build the Huenta Technics.

@ Yoda : thanks !

@ eddie_verdde :
- Ok, will work on improving the map.
- Wonders ! My bad I forget their entries.... :-(
- Iron should not appear. Why ? Is there any unit/improvement,etc requiring iron ?
- because I had overseen Leon was checked.
- nope. You need Christianism to see wines so even if there are wines in Andalucia they are not for the Muslims to enjoy. And since they cannot use them they cannot import them either ! I tried to be politically correct on this one lol
- select the civ for which you want to add a city (shield) then select town and put it where you want. Then click properties to change size, culture and add improvements.

With all this stuff I should release a v 1.2 tomorrow.

Lou: I downloaded the scenario, but keep receiving
LOAD ERROR
File not found
"Art\Units\ArabPikeman\..\Horseman\HorsemanRun.amb"

Ahora el juego saldrá (Now game will exit)

More little bugs before version 1.2 is finished:
- It crashes when I discover guilds
- It's writen 'Teruel', not 'Terruel'
- French found cities in the north border of the scrren that are barely visible.
- IMO, it's too easy to conquer cristian cities with cavalry if you are cristian too

KemetNesut said:
LOAD ERROR
File not found

Probably, you have the Spanish version of the game. You have to copy the folder "Jinete" and rename it "Horseman" also rename the .ini file. You will receive more errors with archer, knight, settler and a few more. It's a little disturbing, but the scenario worths renaming these files.

this looks awesome, i want to play as valencia

alireza1354 said:
A pity we lost Spain....

spain was an even trade off for Anatolia

KemetNesut said:
LOAD ERROR
File not found

As someone already mentionned you have a Spanish C3C.

I usually play without sound (gets on my nerves after a while) otherwise I would probably have erased these "horsemen" sounds anyway. Now you need to erase all the sound links in the Arab Pikeman INI but honestly with a Spanish version I guess you will keep on having issues. And there is nothing I can do about it.
So either you install a copy of C3C in English or you use a software tool that enables the reading of English mods with your version. I know it exists for French and German, don't know for Spanish but I guess the Spanish Site at Poly should know.

Top Bottom