1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Spanish Reconquista (RCQ)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by LouLong, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

I guess I have the Coat of Arms thing solved. Crusader Kings uses nearly every Coat of Arms availbale in Europe, North Africa and Middle East.
    They are available as BMP but I can easily convert them to any format you like. The question is if we would be allowed to use them. Well there is for sure no copyright on heraldics, not that I know of, ... but still its part of a licensed game.

So, I didn't make it yesterday, of course not, ...

Well I'am studying a few historic maps at the moment, aswell as the BIQ. I fear that some oddities are left to decide on.

We write the year 1180 AD to start with.
    1.) Bilbao and Tudela should be part of Navarra
    2.) Jaca would be part of Aragon.
    3.) Pau could possibly be replaced by Foix, in all respect should be either part of Guyenne or Toulouse.
    4.) Matter of fact, Leon and Castille should be unified in 1080, no idea how to handle this though.
    5.) In 1031 the Umayyad Caliphate of Cordoba was at its end, and was split up various in Taifas(Emirates), which is the start of the Almoravids ... or not?? Its not!!!
    1086 - Several Muslim Emirs (namely Abbad III al-Mu'tamid) ask the Almoravides leader Yusuf ibn Tashfin for help against Alfonso VI of Castile. In this year Yusuf ibn Tashfin passed the straits to Algeciras and inflicted a severe defeat on the Christians at the Battle of az-Zallaqah (North of Badajoz). He was debarred from following up his victory by trouble in North Africa which he had to settle in person.
    6.) Aragon was petit just containing Jaca and Huesca, while the county of Barcelona was independent and quite big and not united with Aragon before 1137
    7.) Valencia ought to be an Emirat including the Baleares. Alternatively Valencia stays as it is and Denia is a Taifa on its own and includes the Baleares.
    8.) Madrid was taken 1083 by Castille and Toledo 1085. There need to be means to make this happen with a high chance in the scenario.
    9.) Almohads didn't start conquering Northern Africa from Almoravids before 1105, Al-Andaluz not before 1146. So here we are some 60 years too early in the scenario, .....
    1105 - The Almohades, founded by Ibn Tumart, began as a religious movement to rid Islam of impurities. Most specifically, the Almohades were opposed to anthropomorphisms which had slipped into Iberian Islam. Ibn Tumart's successor, Abd al-Mu'min, turned the movement against non-Muslims, specifically Jews and Christians. Sweeping across North Africa and into Muslim Iberia, the zealous Almohades initiate riots and persecutions of both Muslims and non-Muslims. In some towns Jews and Christians are given the choice of conversion, exile, or death.
    10.) Even worse we go with the Nasrids, which didn't emerge before the battle Las Navas de Tolosa (1212), where the Almohads lost against a joined force of Christians and were utterly crushed in consequence by uprisings in Al'Andaluz. Muhammad I. ibn Nasr was proclaimed Sultan of Granada in 1232, starting the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada.
    11.) Gibraltar stayed under Nasrid control until 1462!!!
    12.) Portugal: On April 6, 1129, Afonso Henriques proclaims himself Prince of Portugal. Before that Portugal was merily a county, maibnly under Leon or castillian control, though Afonso's mother Theresa had already claimed herself queen (regina). 1139 after the battle of Ourique Portugal finaly goes independent and Afonso is proclaimed King of Portugal.

All in all the Reconquitsa is a tough nut to crack, there will have to be some concessions and a bit less historic accuracy, to keep the scenario playable and fun. An interestin sidenote for the period during the Taifas: All christian and Muslim reigns were in constant struggle for power, not mainly against the other religious confesion, much more against rivals and relatives. Thus many times Christian leaders won battles over their Christian rivals with Muslim help and vice versa, often even ending up on a foreign court to take refuge.

Next post will contain the BIQ, and changes I have made regarding some cities in Portugal, and the added Muslim Techs. It also contains the Arab musketman, something that has to be adressed in the pedia, unitgraphics etc. and animation, else the game crashes.

2. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

View attachment Reconquistav1.3.zip

So here comes the BIQ, remember what I wrote regarding pedia entries, arab musketman etc. Don't forget to copy all those things from Plotinus Africa scenario, else the game will crash. You can of course have look at the BIQ in the Editor without doing so I guess.

Most of the undecided things that I have listed above are not implemented.
    So the BIQ just features a few techs, some units etc. and the location/names of some cities mainly in Portugal and southern Spain.

Regarding the Coat of Arms I already wrote to Paradox, and hope we will be allowed to use them, as it will save a lot of searching and work. If we are allowed to use those, we could also use the CoA for Portugal, Castille, Leon etc.

Important!!!
    Ok we have no permission on the CoA from Paradox, that leaves us with two alternatives, either search for the respective CoA in the web and create those ourselves, or use some of the nice leaderheads that are available around the board.

3. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

Hi Loulong, question:
    can you put a printscreen of the map. I can't see it.

BTW where is the file to download???
    I'm Lost!!!

4. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

The file is that post (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=115216), it is called Reconquista v1.2 (it is the biq file).

Update takes longer than expected (especially leader art) but it will turn up.

5. LouLong

Mentat, first don't blame me for the delay, blame YOU ;)
    Indeed Crusader Kings is quite addictive and I spent the last fex days on it. The only thing I mind a tad is the importance of random events that you cannot fight against. But it has lots of depth !

I have already found very similar art for the leaders of the Chrisitans so no need to borrow anything except if all leader art must look alike.

About your map, I have had a look and don't mind changing a few cities accordingly (I will have to change all the improvement list anyway).

About your other remarks concerning accuracy, I prefectly agree but as you know, without events it is impossible to do. I CHOSE indeed some ways to represent what was for me important and/or fun but I can accept other people disagree but without events there is no perfect solution ! (IMHO).

6. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Loulong are you going to update V1.3 soon?

I'm thinking of trying to start a PBEM of this scenario and if you updated it soon enough then I'll wait.

7. Zenon_pt

Sorry Loulang, but I can't yet see it! I still have a bug. the same as the one mention before. not the Madrassa bug, but... * I forgot it!!!
    If remember it, I say to you later, OK?

BTW the name of the city of Setobal is SETUBAL or SETÚBAL
    like on my location

8. Luthor_Saxburg

I've just noticed there isn't any version of MPP ready yet...

So I've made one leaving France, Nasrid, Portugal, Leon, Castila, Aragon, Almoravid and Valencia, eliminating the other 4. Do you think this is a good idea or what would you do it different?

9. LouLong

Sorry for the delay. My PC is under the roof and with the heat wave we got recently I hardly spent any time at all in front of the computer and did not come here. Because of the heat and because of other RL stuff my July month was much busier than it should have and I did not advance much. I am leaving for a week and will finish the changes when I come back. August shall be quiet. You will have MP version, Luthor (for you and for me !) and 1 single package, Zenon.

10. Zenon_pt

Sorry me!
    the bug was the Huerta, but already solve by putting the upgrade mode v1.2.

BTW thanks!!!:goodjob:

11. Luthor_Saxburg

I've noticed that 'Arab Archer' unit can not be loaded into ships, which I assume it's a bug.

12. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

@Loulong

No worries about the delay, I am sure it will be worth to wait a bit for anybody. Sorry of getting you addicted to another game, I should have known :).

Regarding accuracy, just go with how you prefer to display the story. I just wanted to help with some information, if you intended to change some of the "events" to go through.

Grant

Mentat

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

LouLong, I added this to the file database for you, but as I can see, I'll need to update that soon.

14. Zenon_pt

@Loulong

I repaired that when playing with the Portuguese in the initial text (in the final part), it says: "SPAIN" and not PORTUGAL.
    Another thing that I repaired was the name of some cities:
    Setúbal
    Coimbra

15. Zenon_pt

IT's quite funny, when I making a peace deal or a right to pass over with the Almoravids or the Almohads (can't remember), the Christian nations are not happy, like the last conformist said before!

16. dugfromthearth

dugfromthearth Warlord

I'm new to the scenario.

I downloaded and installed just from the first post on the thread. It is a very cool scenario.

One thing I noted was that Leon's government is communal corruption, which makes it the best in the game basically. Was this ever modified?

Is there a later biq I should be downloading for an updated version?

17. Luthor_Saxburg

Some comments after playing a muslim in a PBEM:

- The Djihad life spam is too short. I'd propose either increasing the frequency of the Fanatics or make it obsolete later (Arab Science?).

- There is little advantage for the muslims to research techs in the Reconquista Age and none in the gunpowder age (that I can see). There should be some sort of incentive to research Arab gunpower otherwise why do it? It could be a weak cannon unit, a slightly stronger Inf unit, a better naval unit or even a better wall (representing gunpowder weapons defending it).

18. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

@Luthor

I think Lou is working on an upgrade of the Mod since quite some time.
    If you want to have some more advances for the Muslim powers in the gunpowder area download the BIQ I posted above and add the Janissary unit.
    I have added an Arabmusketman and Bombard in that BIQ, aswell corrected some city locations.

I myself encountered an error with this Reconquista 1.3 in the Pedia regarding the "royal tournament". I think it was my fault, 'cause I couldn't resist to correct the spelling in the BIQ and so the Pediaentries for the royal tournament have to be corrected respectively from "turnament" to "tournament".

@dugfromthearth
    Hmm, thats interesting, and might well be the reason making Leon so powerful in most games. But it could be on intention, though only Lou knows.

19. brachy-pride

brachy-pride Warlord

I cant upload it, I get a mistake that the file for english kinght KnightDeath.wav is missing

Maybe I am doing something wrong

in which foulder should I upload the biq

Is it alright that most art files are flc files or maybe something in my computer changed them from wav to flc?

20. Luthor_Saxburg

I've been looking into my Reconquista scenario and have a lot of .flc files and it works well, so that shouldn't be the problem.

You should download the files and place them in the \Conquests\Scenario\ folder.
    Don't place them in the \Conquests\Conquests\ folder, which is a common mistake.