The Spanish Riding School: Haut Ecole for Warhorses

And we're off...
I move the warrior NE and sees a cow plus coast. Look at both rivers and decide why waste a chop so I move Madrid.

Reveals a hut too. Set research on poly and move the citizen to the crabs to get poly down to 11 from 13. Warrior didn't seem as important as getting some religion.

3960 Our warrior heads NW and finds two elephants :)

3920 Another elephant.

3880 Rice is located

3800Madrid expands and the hut people give us 66g

3680 :eek: So much for the 3 headed hydra. Buddhism is founded in a faraway land.

3640 Pop another hut for 71g and find some wheat.

3560 Tah dah!

Start incantations immediately.
Start research on mining since I think BW and the hydra looks dead. I felt finding copper and iron wwill end up being needed sooner rather than later. Hope everyone's ok with this.

3480 Locate another hut on the tundra of which we have plenty of.

3440 Pop the hut and learn priesthood.

3400 Our new warrior gets trained and I start a work boat. I don't think we'll need a 3rd warrior right now.

3360 Mining is learned and start on BW.

3320Wolves attack our warrior and without any damage to our guy.

3240Lions located to our north.

Our limited resources...

Summary Hopefully I made the right choices here. Civ4 seems so much harder in a SG because things change faster than they do in Civ3. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism on this set, and any future set, since I'm not quite comfortable in my Civ4 skills. With the quality of the players here many of my mistakes will be covered up so please edu-mah-cate me.

Better change the name of Madrid to Martini, it looks dry and cold.

With Priesthood from a hut, bronze working and and a worker we could probably chop out the Oracle. Won't get much in the way of technology but the Prophet points would help get the Shrine built, though we would sure burn a lot of wood....

Roster check:

grahamiam - up
Kylearan - if you post like Sirian getting the 4th digit shouldn't be a problem
Admiral Kutzov
romeothemonk
Bede
Whomp - BTW did the Cubbies win?

Hi,

if we had wanted to breed a hydra, we should have gone for Meditation first instead of Polytheism. Most AIs go for Buddhism first, and Hinduism often gets ignored for some time. Plus, Meditation is much cheaper than Poly. With Meditation first, we might have been more successful - but then I'm not really disappointed because I'm no big fan of the hydra except for show anyway. ;)

I don't think we should chop any forests for the Oracle. We have a coastal start with no hills, so we will need every forest for hammers we can get - chopping them would be a major sin in my book! Also, if we go for it reasonably early, like after the first settler or so, we should be able to get it even on Monarch. If in doubt, we could use the whip.

Bede said:
With Priesthood from a hut, bronze working and and a worker we could probably chop out the Oracle. Won't get much in the way of technology
Sure can we get useful techs with the Oracle! Metal Casting for example is very expensive in the beginning and one of the better choices for the free Oracle tech. It enables forges and the Colossus, and it makes for great trading material once Alphabet is known.

Ouch, we have quite a resource-poor start... :eek: Let's hope we have plenty of copper available...

-Kylearan

If we're going for the Oracle, do we have a shot at the CS slinger? But if we're all alone, do we need it? If we're all alone, would it be better to have the commerce of CH than the hammers of forges? But if we build coastally and get the Big Bronze Guy then we get +1 on coastal...

<safety overides have enganged. AK will be resting his brain cell for a while>

Guys,
From my experience in Civ4, early size is everything. Building 2 crab boats right away is huge.
With Religion, priesthood and phants near by, we should be able to get to size 8, pound out a quick library, run 2 scientists and get a really early academy in the capitol.

We really want to head for max size quickly. The expansive really makes sure that happy is our only problem.

3200BC Preflight check: Workboat in 11T, growth in 3T. Red crab waves, I pretend not to notice.

T1: 3160BC Shuffle warriors.

T2: 3120BC Borders expand

T3: 3080BC Warriors moving, with the Northern one dancing around a lion till I get better land to defend.

T4: 3040BC Warrior in N attacks lion and kills it (0.9/2, 3/2EXP)

T5: 3000BC Give the winning warrior a Combat 1 Promotion and heal on hill.

T6: 2960BC Western Warrior finds more crabs

T7: 2920BC Western warrior finds more land, but across some water.

T8: 2880BC Workboat -> workboat

T9: 2840BC BW -> Hunting (5T) (incase we need archers as there's no copper), revolt to slavery. Warriors still explore.

T10: 2800BC Shuffle warriors. 4T till hunting (Is that the edge of the map to the W?) I suppose we ought to research AH as well so we can get chariots. Otherwise, the barbs are gonna start tearing us a new one soon.

Never thought about crabs quite that way, romeo....

Rolling right along. No copper, huh? And where do we think the horses might be?

Is that floodplains I see to the west? Get a town out there and start mining those hills for the brown metal, maybe.

Roster check:

Kylearan - up
Admiral Kutzov - on deck
romeothemonk
Bede
grahamiam

With raging barbs on and our people complaining about the lack of protection (I wonder if this might be related :p), I've decided to move our combat I warrior back to our capital. And a good decision this had been! First, our western scout finds copper - guarded by a barbarian archer.

Our warrior dies an unpretentious death. Good thing I had set research to Archery earlier when Hunting had come in! Because...some more guys have appeared, gleefully marching towards our capital.

Our warrior just has arrived in the city, and really starts to sweat, thinking "Fortify! Fortify faster! Fortify harder!". :eek: If the barbs continue to head to our city, I think we should apply the whip next turn. (Edit: Of course the city has started to build an archer and not a work boat as shown in the screenshot) If the archer changes direction, we can let our archer finish manually.

I've set research to Agriculture, to make a subsequent research of Animal Husbandry cheaper. But this is of course open to debate; we could also go for Writing instead, or Iron Working to hope we have iron nearby. The problem is that our capital will likely be busy building some units before we can safely put out a worker. (Good thing our crabs cannot be pillaged yet!)

Our units will be regular, but will gain experience soon enough I guess. *cough* My suggestion would be not to promote our first archers with City Garrison, but with Combat I -> Cover so that we can use them to protect our future worker in the open.

We have already invested two turns into another work boat while waiting for Archery, which could be used for scouting purposes.

Have fun! This opening game is...interesting. ;)

-Kylearan

2400BC - no changes

IT - Barb warrior flawlessly dies. Archer I (hereinafter I) moves to forest NW

2320 - rush Archer II (hereinafter II)

IT - I kills barb archer. Another barb moves to attack.

2280 - I promotes (combat 1). II heads west.

IT - barb flawlessly dies attacking II

2240 - Work boat finishes (hereinafter Titanic), heads SW. II healing. Start III.

2200 - the lost turn

2160 - another lost turn

IT - II kills archer as another pops out of the fog.

2120 - We're now researching animal husbandry. What is that cow with horns doing to the other cow? II promotes to combat 1 and heals.

2080 - hey where did this glacier come from?

Barb archer about to attack II has strength of 1.63/3? They attack each other?

IT - II wins, 2 more pop out of fog.

2040 - start I west to help II.

IT - another barb archer pops.

2000 - the archers are unmoved. I can cross the river to help II or II can retreat. Leave it up the next (much) better player. Change to worker now and rush? Then go back to archer? Madrid has 2 red faces due to my cruel oppression. Haven't used slavery much, I will again defer to the next (much) better player.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Warhorse_BC-2000.Civ4SavedGame

I will get a slideshow up later. Igor has baseball tonight.

I was lamost ready to say that whipping the capitol into two unhappy faces was a little excessive but then I did a count of the bogies.....The woods is fill of vampires and they are all on the doorstep.

Looks like we need to push the vampire killers out into the fog and spread them out a little e to keep the bogies from popping too close to home, then maybe another town near the cows?

Only problem with raging barbs on an island is we won't get any help from the neighbors.

Roster check:

romeothemonk - up
Bede
grahamiam
Kylearan
Admiral Kutzov - used the whip, "liberally"

I got it. It will probably be on Sunday.

My Alma Mater has a cool tradition of letting alumni put on pads and helmtets and play honest to God football against the Varsity team. Tomorrow, I will be banging heads. Thanks to turmoil at work, I have had awesome weight room sessions and tons of motivation. WOOOT!!!

Hmm. Well I MM some tiles to give us more production and commerce at the expense of food.
With 2 crabs we should be working the 2 hammer forests.
I have us working a 2 hammer forest and the wine for 1 hammer and 2 commerce.
We are the 3rd wealthiest civ, and we kill 3 barb archers while we remained perched in the woods.
Next build will prolly be worker, then settler, but I want to grow 1 size first.

In a brilliant stroke of planning We built the capitol on horses. Try and pillage that you nasty barbs!!

I start a worker and research to the wheel.

Some Bad RNG causes us to lose a cover promted archer in the woods across a river to an archer.
I am building a new archer. It will be done next turn.

The new settler should be built and sent to where the other archer is fortified.
This will be a commerce/production town.

I had a little time tonight, so I pounded this out.

Good luck.

I think raging barbs is a little nutty, but hey, I am nutty too.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Warhorse_BC-1600.Civ4SavedGame

Our capital on the horses is bad news. :sad: Improved horses are a nice source of hammers, which we will now not get. Production will be a problem for us, and we should make sure to found at least one hammer-heavy city!

Regarding whipping, did we really need to whip the second archer? Because one archer with his city defense bonus fortified in a 20% culture city is enough usually to repel barbs easily until axemen arrive. And if he had really died, we would still have had the warrior defending the city (and then whipping an archer would stil have ensured the safety of the city, as production comes before barb movement).

Ah well, let's hope the AIs are alone on their islands as well, otherwise we will have some catching-up to do...

-Kylearan

I'll be looking for hammers to drive railroad spikes....

Roster check

Bede - up and got it
grahamiam
Kylearan
Admiral Kutzov - used the whip, "liberally
romeothemonk - loooked under the bed and found "My Friend, Flicka"

Regarding whipping, did we really need to whip the second archer? Because one archer with his city defense bonus fortified in a 20% culture city is enough usually to repel barbs easily until axemen arrive. And if he had really died, we would still have had the warrior defending the city (and then whipping an archer would stil have ensured the safety of the city, as production comes before barb movement).

point taken. I rushed the second in part due to my past history with the RNG. I also wanted to get an archer out into the fog asap.

@romeo, some where along the line your save got corrupted, as I can load the one from the Adm and the one from Kyl, and other SG's but not yours :sad:

Can you either zip it and then send it up to "uploads 11" or use the "attach" file?

Thanks.

Ok.

Good news. Us old farts won our football game 34-13.

I played Guard every snap, and played Nose Tackle in the 4th quarter. My poor arms got pretty beat up, so I am going to add some ethanol to my bloodstream. Do not really expect anything coherent from me for a day or 2.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Warhorse_BC-1600.zip

Age and treachery wins out over youth and skill every time!! Good show old(?) man.

Thanks.

Top Bottom