1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Spanish Ripoff

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by thadian, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

By giving away spain, half of a DLC - Two pack, they are ripping off every person who paid for it - also, what happens to players who buy G+K - will they also get inca free, or do they have to pay full DLC price for half content?

They are just trying to gorge the wallet to death, this is not about "making money" it is about "choke the chicken for one more egg" and im sick of it. i wish civilization didn't turn out this way - half the best mods have different DLC requirements and g+k will be no different.

Instead of worrying about being compatible with 18 different DLC items, you have to worry about this expansion + 18 more DLC items - i wouldn't be surprised if they release a second expansion where all the DLC civ's are the "new civs".

2. tofofnts

tofofnts Chieftain

meh... you got spain early by paying, plus the rerelease of spain doesn't make the fun you had with that dlc any worse

3. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

seriously...it's like $3 and you got to play as Spain for months (years?) before the expansion came out. They are only including it because of the medieval scenario with religious war theme....it would be stupid not to include them in that.

4. thadian

why should people have to pay for something they already have, will players who own spain get a discount?

the "i love you bug" virus stole pennies from billions of bank accounts, so no crime was done since nobody lost more than a couple pennies, right?

the point is, they are making people pay two times for spain - inca. If you don't own spain - inca, then you buy G + K, you still have to pay the cost of 2 DLC Civ's to get one civ!

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: As preemptive warning, this thread is already under observation. Please stay civil.

6. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

A dollar (for single Spain) is hardly a ripoff, IMO, even in a country where dollar is more expensive than native currency (such as Poland). And for that dollar I had plenty of fun for more than a year.

7. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

You can think of it as "oh, I'm paying for Spain as part of the expac, I'm being ripped off!" but others can see it as "oh, I'm getting Spain thrown in for free!" My guess is most people are thinking in the latter way, as opposed to the former. Otherwise, this forum would be in an uproar (I mean, really, look how many debates there were about Steam, DLC in general, etc.)
    I don't expect a discount on G&K, it's already a great value (IMO) and I still got Spain for ~a year and a half. Even if I did agree with you, I'm not getting upset over $2.50.

8. Simplicity4

Simplicity4 Chieftain

They're not even advertising the inclusion of Spain as a new civ. Do you get this upset when Civ 5 goes on sale for $7 on steam? Or when your phone suddenly goes on sale for less than you purchased it for? Getting something years ahead of time commands a premium. You can play some great games for next to nothing if you're willing to wait a few years.

Wait a couple of years before you buy G+K. It'll cost like 5 bucks.

9. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Chieftain

How cheap, lol. This is like saying "I paid $49 for the game and 6 months later it's $39! I want my $10 refund!".

10. thadian

again - the point is that after paying money for spain, i am told that something i paid for is "included" in the next product. why?

and what about the duo-pack? doesn't g+k devalue the idea of it? the pack is advertised as giving spain + inca, but if you get g+k and you already have spain, you are paying full price for half the content.

This would be very different IF they released Inca as a standalone DLC at a reduced cost, or something similar. This feels more like a punishment to people who got spain/inca duo pack DLC, and now pay full price for g+k to get -1 civ.

11. Raneman

Raneman Chieftain

I paid $60 dollars for Civ at launch, and at sales it's gone down to $10.

WHERE IS MY $50 SID I'M GOING TO TELL MY MOM

12. wandmdave

wandmdave Chieftain

Do we know how Spain is included? Can you only play them in the scenario or do you get to play with them in a normal game without having purchased the DLC?

If you can only play them in the scenario then I see no problem. If you can then it is slightly annoying that the releases weren't planned a bit better (and it has to be bad planning in my mind, no game company sets out to give people a reason to wait on purchasing their products). Still, in the end it was a dollar or two so it isn't that big of a deal.

13. thadian

yes it is a big deal - if i steal a candy bar from wal-mart, nobody will say "let him go, it was just a dollar or two".

And i am posting this because (it seems) that spain will be a normal civ in g+k, meaning i had to pay for that civ 2 times.

under the model of selling a chess set without bishops or knights, and selling those pieces separately.

they have sold "2 knights" as separate DLC. king bishop as a dlc. then one year later, queen bishop + king knight as a DLC.

don't you see under this comparison how everyone who bought the "2 knights" loses something by buying the "queen bishop + king knight" pack?

14. DeathFace

DeathFace Male Student No. 7

I was somewhat angry when I heard that Spain was being included in the expansion but then I realized that it's $2.50 and since Spain has been available for a while it's not a huge deal. I can understand if you had just bought Spain and the next day it was announced that it's free in the expansion that you could have the right to be upset.

15. wandmdave

wandmdave Chieftain

But this metaphor is flawed. In the case of the candy bar Wal-Mart gets nothing because you stole it. In the DLC case you got to play Spain for months before anyone else did so there was still and exchange and thus no stealing. You may not like the exchange but 2K isn't stealing from you.

There is a gray area about disclosure where you may have an argument. Many people may have made a different purchasing decision had they known they'd get Spain in an expansion they were going to buy anyway. I'm not sure what the rules are on disclosure of such things though.

Still that assumes 2K was planning to put Spain in G+K all along and it assumes Spain can be played in more than just the scenario. This argument is probably better left for after the release.

16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

My only issue is when the production on expansion began and when the Spain/Inca was released. I really wish they changed Spain to Portugal for the DLC. why not?

I agree, I'm not too fond of it, but what you gonna do? I'm still going to buy the expansion pack regardless..

And Dennis Shark confirmed that Spain is a full 10th civ available with God and Kings.

17. tofofnts

tofofnts Chieftain

If a store gave out free lolipops would you complain that you had to pay for your lolipop, or accept it as an act of kindness?

18. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Chieftain

First-world problems, dude.

Besides the fact that being "ripped off" a dollar doesn't take away the fun you had before, consider that Spain's abilities might be altered somewhat due to the religious themes of the expansion.

19. Gintoki89

Gintoki89 Chieftain

Also, part of this argument assumes that the Inca/Spain will remain a full priced double pack after release, something I highly doubt. I'm sure that there will be a single Inca option that will be released closer to the expansion release, and they'll probably keep the double pack up for people who don't want the expansion as well.

20. thadian

Many people may have made a different purchasing decision had they known they'd get Spain in an expansion they were going to buy anyway.

^^

Im sure many people, me included - i hate paying for the same product 2 times. This is no different than buying a candy bar from the store, 2 for 1 discount. then one week later, when i go back to buy another candy bar, they tell me its time to pay for the free one from last week. Had inca been sold seperately in its own DLC, then i wouldn't be complaining as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.