The Special Relationship

dosed150

Emperor
borrowed this idea from the bbc have your say, I thought it would be more intersting with more intelligent people( if youve ever read a have your say, you'll realise that may not much of a compliment)

what is your opinion of the special relationship between the uk and usa; is it still relevant? does it benefit both nations? how is this relationship seen in other countries?

they're mutual allies, it doesnt really hurt to have allies when a lot of ppl hate you( the US) but when you have a strong enough military and dont plan on getting involved in any wars its best to stear clear of an alliance.

The English and Americans, sharing a common ancestry and common goals have benefited much from such a relationship. I don't see what the problem is.

Having lived in both places I always enjoyed the special relationship between the UK and the Yanks. I lived there in the 80s and early 90s so perceptions have probably changed, but back then, in the UK Americans were kind of seen as the uncultured yet powerful country where everything was cheap and people were fat and wore bermuda shorts. Everyone still was able to maintain their air of superiority though. Actually the air of superiority may be something the Americans and the English (English, not Welsh or Scottish or Irish) share most.

The Special Relationship is kind of the American version of being a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. Canada, India, Australia, and other nations that have gained independence from Great Britain have kept their relations with her, and so have we. That our departure from the Empire was violent and unapproved by the mother country is why the Queen is not our Head of State, as she is in Commonwealth nations.

This is the relationship between passive and active partner in a sodomistic copulation.

This is the relationship between passive and active partner in a sodomistic copulation.

You have an odd way of describing the relationship between two nation states. Do you think about relationships like this often?

This is not rocket science folks, two nations that have a shared history, common language, both are democracies and have fought in two world wars together. But more than anything else they have a commonality of interests at this point in time - this may change in the future.

the usa is larger with more muscle. the uk is better looking, wittier and more intelligent (envy is a horrible thing)

The special relationship was abused by Bush and most of the British public have a distaste for it.

Personally, i'd rather we were closer to Europe than the USA.

Do you think the British public feel this way in general? Certain Sun headlines, ie. ''Frog off!'' spring to mind when thinking of British opinion of the EU.

The special relationship was abused by Bush and most of the British public have a distaste for it.

im not actually so sure it was bush, blair seemed pretty keen on running round finding other nations to join in with the wars, i think he believed in it without being pushed. and we stayed out of vietnam, so its not like we couldnt have said no

i think our relations in europe and with the usa are both important, as for the french i think for most people, except maybe sun readers its just friendly banter, we make fun of them for surrendering etc, they make fun of our food or our culture but at the end of the day were still friends

@dosed150 - well yeah Blair played a large part as well.

Do you think the British public feel this way in general? Certain Sun headlines, ie. ''Frog off!'' spring to mind when thinking of British opinion of the EU.
Not sure. The Sun is just right-wing tabloid nonsense though.

@dosed150 - well yeah Blair played a large part as well.

Not sure. The Sun is just right-wing tabloid nonsense though.

Yeah I know the Sun is hardly an example of honest journalism. But it is a good indicator of what the average person believes in. I mean they are the highest selling paper in the UK right? This must be the sort of stuff the average person wants to read, and therfore believes in.

Yeah I know the Sun is hardly an example of honest journalism. But it is a good indicator of what the average person believes in. I mean they are the highest selling paper in the UK right? This must be the sort of stuff the average person wants to read, and therfore believes in.
Hmmm.....i'd seriously bet page 3 is a major factor for at least 70% of men who buy it.....

Yeah they buy the paper to see tits, but when they read it they pick up the right wing tendencies of the article in it.

Yeah they buy the paper to see tits, but when they read it they pick up the right wing tendencies of the article in it.
Perhaps. But I doubt alot of them vote to be honest. Though Labour has always courted the sun in the past few years. I reckon the Sun will go Tory for the next election though.

It is a relationship that goes for centuries due to common interests already existing and an attempt by both parties to create common interests. And that was because it was better for Britain to approach USA than other countries. Interestingly enough i would add Britain and USA as being partners in an imaginary federation with common foreign policy sooner than i would consider Britain as being a member in a European federation following the same policies than other European countries.

However that is only on the regard of foreign policy which i imagine will still continue. On other factos they are almost as Europeans as the rest and more than the others. On foreign policy i would not call them USA dogs but a country that attempts continuously to have common interests with them. And so does the USA. Hence i call them the Aglosaxon federation. And look they are colony and mother country too , historically.

It is a relationship that goes for centuries due to common interests already existing and an attempt by both parties to create common interests. And that was because it was better for Britain to approach USA than other countries. Interestingly enough i would add Britain and USA as being partners in an imaginary federation with common foreign policy sooner than i would consider Britain as being a member in a European federation following the same policies than other European countries.

However that is only on the regard of foreign policy which i imagine will still continue. On other factos they are almost as Europeans as the rest and more than the others. On foreign policy i would not call them USA dogs but a country that attempts continuously to have common interests with them. And so does the USA. Hence i call them the Aglosaxon federation. And look they are colony and mother country too , historically.

How are they a federation? They're an alliance, nothing more.

Top Bottom