The speed of progress

skallben

Diplomat
We still have to deal with units and buildings going obsolete way to fast. With that said,
I like the reforms of the research agreements and the pacing seems better than vanilla but it's still not perferct. Moving up to immortal brings the Industrial era back to about 17th century. This seems quite natural since AIs have bonuses and a player probably plays better at a higher level.

However, how hard could it be to compensate the cost of techs for difficulty levels just as they are done in relation to game speed and map size?

Civ 5's tech system is about teching much faster then in real life and you do not gain anything by teching slow. In real life it was probably way harder to figuring out the things that are called techs then civ 5 pretends. Also in civ 5 you know what leads to what, its like you know the future of techs which is realy hard to do in real life. As long as they do not put serve restrictions which limits the teching spead in civ 5 the civs will tech faster then in real life.

How to compensate, they could make techs cost the same in all difficulties for the ai or even make it a bit more expansive on high difficulty which is offset by other bonuses which increase the science.

How to compensate, they could make techs cost the same in all difficulties for the ai or even make it a bit more expansive on high difficulty which is offset by other bonuses which increase the science.

Raising costs for overall to compensate for the AIs bonuses was my suggestion, I guess putting it as a rhetorical question confused things.

Open up the mods list in game and browse [_] Technology
I have never liked the speed of research gain (moving to epic/marathon changes nothing, you take longer to research but it takes longer to build, no net change)
There are several mods which change only research costs... luddite and slo-mo
I play with either 50% or 100% increased costs most of the time. Be prepared for very large armies and protracted wars, though, since you and the AI run out of buildings at times and many units get produced

yup yup, on Standard game-speed and increase tech cost to "150" in the xml file would leave you with no buildings and have to produce units. I'm thinking of knocking the building time to "125" so it's not as bad. That way, I can have units for longer time but not forced to build units continuously.

Matching tech progression to game year is a little hard because the real history of 4000 BC - present is filled with lost empires, dark ages and cultural stagnations. And that's to say nothing of science being driven off the path by politics, religion and of course all those times we got it wrong (the body is regulated by humors, light is carried by aether, etc).

We didn't even have a good scientific method to work through this stuff until a few centuries ago (excluding the Islamic golden age, a period which in many ways mirrored the Italian renaissance due to the appearance of capitalism as a means of middle class social mobility over a rigid system of rule by divine providence) and are still fine tuning it to this day.

Given a civilization that never lost any knowledge and was dedicated to scientific advancement the pharohs could have probably been launching rockets to the moon while the Romans where still nomads chasing a pair of wolves for food.

yup yup, on Standard game-speed and increase tech cost to "150" in the xml file would leave you with no buildings and have to produce units. I'm thinking of knocking the building time to "125" so it's not as bad. That way, I can have units for longer time but not forced to build units continuously.

Meh, I just move Process Wealth to Agriculture, keeps you from having to build units continuously (and I added a Flavor_Gold to it so the AI makes more use of it as well).

Top Bottom