1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Spiral Minaret Destroyed?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedRalph, Jun 13, 2007.

1. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

2. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Yes, it's the same one, but it's hardly been destroyed.

"Police say insurgents blew up the top section of the 52m (162ft) Malwiya tower, which had been used by US soldiers as a lookout position... The blast left crumbled brick and clay on the minaret's winding ramps."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4401577.stm

I refuse to visit any Al-Jazeera page, so I've included this BBC link. :D

3. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

:rolleyes: you think BBC is more reliable than al-Jazeera?

4. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

You think Al-Jazeera is more reliable than the BBC? :lol:

I'm an American, so personally I don't care about the BBC.

5. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

What dont you like about al-Jazeera?

6. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

For one, it often incites anti-Americanism abroad.... oh dear, I think I've backed myself into a corner! :lol: Seriously, I don't know how guilty the BBC is of that, but it surely can't be any worse.

Does the story on Al-Jazeera say the Spiral Minaret has been damaged or destroyed? Because if it's the latter, this is a good example of how it deliberately blows things out of proportion to stir up sentiments against the west.

7. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Man if you hate al-Jazeera for stirring up anti americanism then you must hate the US govt about a million times worse, cause believe me, even if al-Jazeera didnt exist and events of the last 6 years had proceeded the same, the US would still be as unpopular as it is now. and even if you dont like al-Jazeera, reading one of their reports wont infect you with anti americanism.

8. Brentimus

Brentimus Chieftain

Yes, It may have been another station but IIRC the broadcaster was claiming that US forces hadn't reached Baghdad even days after it had occupied the city. . .

I remember arguing with a Lebanese friend of mine who insisted the American media must be lying

9. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

RedRalphWiggum, It's got nothing to do with all that... But I see no point in going off-topic and debating it. ;)

BTW, a slight difference: the U.S. government is America, or part of it, Al-Jazeera is not. Comparing them makes no sense.

At any rate, only the top of the Spiral Minaret has been damaged, not the whole thing, thankfully.

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Actually, it dosent say on the al-Jazeera one that its been destroyed.... two other minaters of the mosque have been, it wasnt clear which ones had been at first. Two are completely destroyed, the Spiral one has been just damaged

11. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

It is the Askariya Mosque the same bombed last year not the Spiral Minaret.

About Al Jazeera it is no more than a TV Channel broadcasting extremist propaganda against American,Israel or other European Countries.
    If to me their news are just garbage an arab should really take with a grain of salt what they say, because it's no more than hatred propaganda

12. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

give me an example

13. LDeska

LDeska LDeska

Those people are so dumb! To destroy such ancient building! :(

You know - I'm from Poland, we have some troops in Iraq, I also graduated from Military University of Technology, so I'm an officer of Polish Army (but I quit Army right after I graduated, so I'm a civlian right now). My friend with whom I lived in a dormitry was in Iraq for 6 months (this is the normal time which Polish soldiers spent in Iraq). It was around 2 years ago - I remember that he said that Iraqi will be killing themselves now and I can clearly see that he was right. Americans (and others like British, Polish etc) withdraw to their bases and employed Iraqi Police and Army to keep order in Iraq. So now those 'insurgents' are killing their brothers who serve in Iraqi Police and Army. It's really sad.

Of course I'm not trying to justify USA or any other (including mine) government - it was really stupid and inhumane to invade this independent state which had nothing to do with WMD and terrorists... I'm just frustrated that it is always the same - during Saddam's rule and now - always Iraqi suffer... :(

14. GABB

GABB Warlord

Now you get 1/2 gold from state of religion buildings???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. zbyszke

zbyszke Chieftain

Hej, LDeska!

You are active here, aren´t you?

A sad thing is that it is impossible to see now when peace in Iraq will come och things go only worse for Iraq with every new day. I meet more and more refugees from Iraq (BTW they are often Christians) that come to Sweden, often they are well-educated. I mean that it is "brain drainage" that takes place now. How can Iraqi people govern themselves after so terrible migration?

16. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

If you just go on al jazeera site you will notice the militant language and their not so hidden hate toward USA or anything which is Western.
    About some example i remember a news which said that some torture made by Al Qaeda members like eye-cutting,dismemberment and so on were not made by Al Qaeda but from members of Iraqi militias supported by US army, to make confesional strife more likely.
    I am not stupid to think that all media are impartial i have noticed for example how during Israel/Lebanon war CNN,FOX and other TV channel become more militant but quite frankly there is no way it can be compared to the disinformation, or the hatred propaganda made everyday by al jazeera channel.
    Journalism should be as much impartial as possible when it becomes militant you should really doubt about the truth of their statements.

17. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Honestly man, and I'm not just saying this, I go on their site regularly and have never seen examples of extremist hatred from al-Jazeera. If you find some point it my way and I'll be impartial, but I've yet to ever see that

18. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Perhaps we have different point of views so we see things in a different way.
    Personally journals or TV channel which shows militant language, select what news to publish, and make often propaganda statements are not believable and Al Jazeera is one of them for me.

19. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Come on man. Every news source is selective to some degree, every one. and I've yet to be given an example of militant language.

20. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

It is what I said, but there are some journals or TV Channel which are more partial than others....(Reuters is clearly better than FOX for example).
    About militant language on Al Jazeera it seems so obvious to me that i just think that we see things too much differently if you don't notice it.