1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Splintered Court feedback

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Official Scenarios' started by Kael, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Both times I got the even that let me purchase units the units appeared in a city nowhere near the one where the event occurred. The first time the event happened in my third city and the unit appeared in my second, and the second time (after my third city was captured by Arendel Phaedra) it appeared in my capital.

Edit: Also, I can't see, to get the actual trophy for this scenario. I think I had it a while back, but was removed by a patch and won't come back no matter how much I cheat.

2. Sekerah

Sekerah Chieftain

Is there supposed to be any ending text for when you win as a Svartalfar? I only had any ending text appear for the Ljosalfar.

Edit: Patch F btw.

3. Old MacDonald

Old MacDonald Chieftain

I really liked the two new Svartalfar leaders, they should really be made available in the main game. If nothing else, then through an option such as unrestricted leaders.

Other than that, well, it was fun enough, though my allies were pretty useless. They just sat there, really.

What does Volanna's sinister trait do, btw?

4. Saytr

Saytr Ex-Faun

Kael is working on making minor leaders come into the game when you make a colony.

All Svartalfar leaders have the sinister trait. It grants recon units the Sinister promotion, which gives +1 attack strength.

5. Verily

Verily Prince

Sinister is a civilization trait, any leader of the Svartalfar has it. Every unit in the Recon line automatically gets the Sinister promotion, which gives +1 Attack.

The Ljosalfar have a civilization trait, too, Dextrous, which gives Dextrous to Archery units (+1 Attack). The Kuriotates' Sprawling trait is also now a civilization trait, so any leader of the Kuriotates (say, with random leaders on) has Sprawling. Fallow is a civilization trait for the Infernals, too, I think, although they can only have Hyborem, Minister Koun and Duke Sallos as leaders.

6. Guale

Guale Warlord

I think I just had a bit of a bug. I won a domination victory as the Ljosalfar in patch e (I think). I read through the little story at the end and it seemed normal until I got to the end of it.
    Spoiler :
    Arendel took off an amulet and turned into Faeryl and the real Arendel awoke in Faeryl's tomb.

7. Sekerah

Sekerah Chieftain

Thats not a bug. The story wouldn't make any sense for a Svartalfar victory, it only makes sense as a Ljosalfar victory.

Also you should put those spoilers in a spoiler tag.

8. Guale

Guale Warlord

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and I'm really not used to that.

9. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Its dark fantasy: the good guys never really win.

10. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Debatable. Good guys do sometimes win, but these goods guys aren't squeaky clean and/or suffer massive casualties and loss of lives to do so. You can have your happy ending, but there will be some tough choices to make getting there, and it may be a bittersweet victory. For an example:
    Spoiler scenario with bittersweet happy ending :
    Lord of the Balors
    Spoiler :
    as Varn Gosam

The epic game, mind you, really runs the gamut depending on who's in it. I had one game that was decidedly High Fantasy, with noble Empyrean followers (led by yours truly, playing Keelyn of the Balseraphs no less!) battling and defeating the irredeemably evil Ashen Veil. I also had a very, very dark fantasy game in which the only thing between Erebus and total annihilation at the hands of Hell were the slave-driving followers of Esus. FfH usually veers towards dark fantasy. That said, any game ending with the Altar being built is probably high fantasy; that's a pretty happy ending, unless you actively seek to darken it. Likewise, if Tebryn wins... well, "dark fantasy" becomes an understatement.
    Apologies for my off-topic mumblings... though seriously, the Ljosalfar ending did bug me.
    Spoiler rant about Ljosalfar ending :
    I don't know, it just seemed like too much of a deus ex machina (or diabolus ex machina?) to be believable. It's the sort of "this is looking too happy, let's go out of our way to screw it up" thing I'd expect, and indeed enjoy in, Warhammer 40k. Of course this isn't Warhammer 40k. FfH is a pretty dark place, but it is also relatively realistic in its non-fantastic elements, by simple virtue of being a 4X game. If evil wins, it's because it was smarter than the good guys. If good wins, its not because of virtue and honor, but because they outmaneuvered and outwitted their demon-worshiping opponents. Its not right or wrong that wins the day, but smart decisions. That's why the Ljosalfar ending bugged me; is a pulled-out-of-nowhere dark ending really any different then a miraculous happy ending? Faeryl might have well have ridden in on an antimatter Aslan.

(EDIT: Sorry if I'm a bit rambling; it's a late-night rant.)

11. Psycho_Ivan

Psycho_Ivan Warlord

I'd just like to be the next in line to say that the Blue Marble terrain with this scenario looks pretty strange. Is there some reason it's enabled instead of the regular FfH terrain?

12. Guale

Guale Warlord

Well to me it felt very anti-climactic, I mean I went through all the trouble of busting ass to defeat the Svarts (Never can fully spell out the elven nation names) and then, well without spoiling it you know what happens next and with no explanation of how it happened even.

13. DioBrando

DioBrando Warlord

I, for one, liked the ending. It really felt in-character with the two queens.

14. Brokenbone

Brokenbone Prince

Playing patch F as Svarts (Faeryl), think I came across a bug. Will put under spoiler tags I guess:

Spoiler :

1. Defeated Amelanchier. Turned down the Baron's offer, picking the "jail" option. Baron was weak and distant, so really, who cares, I figured.

2. Later defeated Thessa. Alexis makes an offer for her, something about making her a dark queen. I think to myself, "kinky" and let her have Thessa. I expected Alexis to declare war on Arendel, but instead she stayed neutral, and the Baron declared war.

I suspect if I'd taken the Baron's offer, AND Alexis's offer, things would have turned out differently. Anyhow, felt like a bug, i.e., something about the options forcing war picking the wrong player to do it.

15. Old MacDonald

Old MacDonald Chieftain

Thanks for the response (both you and Verily). I hadn't seen this trait before, as I've mostly played the Elohim (to keep the armageddon counter low). This was my first time playing an evil civ.

Anyway, I knew that there's been talk about bringing the minor leaders into play through colonies, but it'd also be neat if there was an option to make them playable.

16. Love

Love Deity

The game got pretty easy with alazkan + fellow assassins and nyxkins. Didn't get a message after winning though :( Also when i get these immigrant events, the units i get spawn in other cities.

17. Saytr

Saytr Ex-Faun

When I won as the Ljosafar (Gilden is OP) I was unhappy with the ending. It made the scenario (I played as Arendel Phaedra) a little pointless. Stil loved it though.

Spoiler :
    I think the ending should be as it is, but Arendel spares Faeryl's life, fakes her death, and sends her into a secret exile. Faeryl, naturally, is planning to come back and kill Arendel, but not for a few centuries.

18. TreeCounter

TreeCounter Chieftain

I found this scenario to be too large. After 120 turns or so the game slows down so much for me that it is no longer much fun.

I think the main reason is that all the formerly open space gets filled with barbarian cities, which then get taken over by civs. I would like to see less barbarian cities, and to have the choice to raize captured cities.

Another possibility would be to have a map size choice for the scenarios, so you don't have to go through these monster boards.

19. TreeCounter

TreeCounter Chieftain

I'm not sure the day/night mechanic is working correctly. Are all the werewolves supposed to turn into men during the day? I've seen a few wrecking havoc at noon. (using patch f)

20. reverend oats

reverend oats King

I think Alazkan is way overpowered as the Svalts. I easily one in under 100 turns on emperor with this guy. The only techs you need are poisons and military strategy for blitz. After that, Alaz can just kill everything the Ljos can throw at him. Gilden may be able to hold against one, but he sure as heck can't defeat two in one turn. I think he definitely needs a nerf.

I seem to remember Kael talking about PMing the Svalt end text to a guy who had won the scenario. If I am correct, may I too please have a copy?