The spread of religion: How does it work?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by eXeel, Sep 26, 2013.

1. eXeel

eXeel Chieftain

I play on the 3rd hardest difficulty.
    I'm trying to integrate religion in my plans for the games.

At the moment I am at the level of "Uuh, a Great Prophet... Spread it to a few city states and big civ cities. Then they are mine!"

But it disappears. It seems to be momentarily.
    I read the 10 tile religion spread radius... How does it work?

I have a city which generates 2 faith.
    8 tiles to the right I make a new city with no +faith. How do this city get converted?

Then further to the right, 7 tiles from my new city, is another civilization. They have their own +faith buildings. How does this work?

How do I attain 2 religions in one city? How long does it take to convert a city? How do I spread it to another civ city further inside their territorry? More than 10 tiles away from my city, what spreads my religion and not his?

2. katfish

katfish Warlord

I'm pretty sure all your questions are answered in ingame civilopedia.

3. Glieze

Glieze Chieftain

-A city will have a religion if at least half it's pop size is following the same religion.
    -A Holy city exerts 30 pressure (influenced by game speed) on itself per turn and 6 per turn to cities within 10 tiles.
    -A city with a religion will exert 6 pressure per turn to cities within 10 tiles (like a holy city exerts on others).
    -A trade route between cities more than 10 tiles apart will exert religious pressure as if they were within 10 tiles of each other.
    -It takes 100 pressure to turn 1 citizen to a follower.
    -If there are no citizen left (all of them are following some religion) it's slightly more complicated for conversion and I'm not sure here.
    -An inquisitor removes the religious followers of other religions from your OWN cities.

Hope this helps.

4. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

5. eXeel

eXeel Chieftain

katfish, I find the ingame civilopedia lacking, the search function tragic and therefore not that helpful :)

Glieze, great short writeup, thanks!

Bob, great long read - I hope to find even more answers there, thanks :)

6. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

this is only true for size 1 cities with no religion
    while non-religious city grows it adds 100 atheism pressure points per each new citizen

7. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

You seem to have some misconceptions about religion.

First of all, production of faith in a city (from shrines, temples etc) has nothing to do with religion spreading between towns. Just like Glieze said, each town with dominant religion generates a steady "religious radiation". It can be modified by beliefs and certain buildings in certain cities. Faith produced in cities can be used to convert others only via missionaries and prophets purchased with it.

When you send a prophet to your rival's city, the conversion is usually not welcomed. AI in most cases tries to purge enemy religion asap, usually by creating own prophet and converting cities back. If you eliminate state religion of other players you risk wasting your prophets.

All cities "radiate" their dominant religion. To get 2 or more religions in one city, you need to have this city located near at least 2 sources of different religions. You need to keep in mind that religions are concurrent and if one source is able to generate ~60 pressure and the other one only ~4, the 2nd religion will not have any followers.

Keep in mind that strength of religious "radiation" depends on game speed.

Caravans and trade ships can also transfer religion, however if source city and destination city are within the 10 tile influence radius and already influence each other, trade routes will not double the effect.

8. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

@ OP: Maybe this has been covered sufficiently, but here you get the explanation again:

Religion spreads two ways:

- Missionaries/Prophets actively spreading
    - Cities passively spreading

As was explained, the amount of faith produced by cities isn't tied to religion spread at all (other than allowing you to purchase more missionaries). Each city lists how much 'pressure' it generates and it is this 'pressure' that causes other cities to adopt a religion. This is the only factor in passive religion spreading.

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Slight correction: When you mouse-hover over a city banner, it shows you how much pressure that city is receiving from other cities, not the amount of pressure it is generating. As a general proposition, each city with a majority religion generates (or broadcasts or transmits or radiates -- pick your favorite metaphor) the same pressure (6 pressure at standard speed) to cities within 10 tiles.

The most common exceptions that come immediately to mind are Itinerant Preachers (pressure range extended to 13 tiles), Religious Texts (pressure increased 25%; 50% with Printing Press), a holy city with the Grand Temple will export double pressure (as noted above), any city with a trade route will pressure a city outside normal pressure range (also as noted above), and, if you are playing Arabia, any city connected by a trade route will export double pressure (due to Arabia's UA - "trade routes spread the home city's religion twice as effectively"). A World Congress resolution (World Religion) also will increase spread pressure by 25%.