The States in Flames: Crimson Skies

Paasky

Good News Everyone!
I decided to make a thread out of this little idea I've been having: to make a Crimson Skies mod for Civ4. This ofcourse wouldn't focus on the flying part (so no civ4 flightsim here :p), but rather is a scenario of the US (+ Mexico & the two Canada's) that has been split apart due to the numerous failures of the Federal Government. Full story, and lots of other nice things to read about here.

First I thought I'd simply add a few units & make a map, but then I had an idea. And it's a big one ;)
First, the changes:
Spoiler :
1) Citizens don't require any food. This way the cities will stay big, even though they don't have huge farms around them.
2) Farms don't create food. They create health & tradable resources. So the People's Collective (N&S Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa & Kansas) would have a huge surplus of food resources to sell to the others.
3) Almost eliminate the natural growth of cities. This way a small town simply can't grow to be a huge metropolis in a few years, as the growth rate of every city is 1 pop per year.
But how can cities grow? Well, every time a city is attacked, 1 pop point will either a) die, or b) turn into a refugee unit, controlled by a civ which doesn't have any cities & open borders with everyone. This unit will auomatically move into another city & join it. So if a nation is constantly in war, the borders will quickly become deserted, while the larger/peaceful cities will grow.

Also, cities won't have factories built in them, they will be built in the surrounding terrain. This is so that the production capacity of a city, or even a nation, can be totally destroyed with strategic bombing (ala Germany 1942-44). Also, the building of any improvements will be very time-consuming, so that the un-united states won't be a paradise full of productive & happy citizens and a perfect railroad network.

To make sure that there's enough food, you need atleast 1 food resource for every 2 citizens in your nation. Note that farms outside of the city radiuses are counted into this. Also, by buying food, you can keep your inhabitants alive. If you have too little food, 1 pop will die per turn from a random city.

Units:
Spoiler :
Code:
*TYPE* <-Zeppelins
	Fighters | Infantry | Strength | Hammers | Movement
Light Cargo Zep
	1 | 1 | 5 | 100 | 5
Medium Cargo Zep
	1 | 2 | 6 | 150 | 5
Heavy Cargo Zep
	1 | 3 | 8 | 200 | 4
Light Carrier Zep
	2 | 0 | 7 | 175 | 5
Medium Carrier Zep
	2 | 0 | 9 | 250 | 4
Heavy Carrier Zep
	3 | 0 | 10| 300 | 3

*TYPE* <- Aircraft
	vs Fighters | vs Bombers | Strength | Hammers | Max bomb damage | Max collateral | Bomb strength | Range
Light Fighter
	+50% | -20% | 3 | 50 | 20% | 1 | 2 | 3
Medium Fighter
	+10% | +20% | 4 | 60 | 40% | 1 | 4 | 4
Heavy Fighter
	-40% | +50% | 5 | 90 | 60% | 2 | 6 | 5
Fast Fighter
	+75% | -20% | 4 | 150| 10% | 1 | 1 | 4
Strike Bomber
	-50% | +50% | 4 | 60 | 100%| 1 | 7 | 3
Tactical Bomber
	 0%  |  0%  | 5 | 100| 60% | 3 | 5 | 5
Strategic Bomber
	 0%  |  0%  | 6 | 200| 30% | 7 | 5 | 7

*TYPE* <- Land Units
	Strength | Movement | Hammers | Withdraw chance | Extra info
Milita
	3 | 2 | 30 | 50% | No upkeep
Infantry
	5 | 1 | 70 |  0% | +100% vs militia
Mechanized Infantry
	5 | 2 | 100| 30% | +50% vs tanks
Machine Gunner
	3 | 1 | 50 |  0% | +200% vs inf
Light Tank
	4 | 2 | 200| 30% | +75% vs inf, can't capture cities
Heavy Tank
	3 | 1 | 300| 10% | +100% vs tanks, can't capture cities
Artillery
	3 | 1 | 50 | 60% | collateral=4, max damage=75%
Mobile Artillery
	3 | 2 | 100| 70% | collateral=4, max damage=70%

*TYPE* <- Sea Units
	Strength | Movement | Hammers | AA | Capacity (Air/Land) | Extra info
Submarine
	3 | 4 | 150 | 0 |   0   | +100% vs ships, invisible
Large Submarine
	4 | 3 | 300 | 2 | 1(A) | +100% vs ships, invisible
Destroyer
	4 | 6 | 160 | 1 | 1(L) | +100% vs subs, can see subs
Cruiser
	5 | 5 | 200 | 3 | 1(L) |
Battleship
	6 | 4 | 300 | 5 | 2(L) |
Aircraft Carrier
	5 | 5 | 400 | 6 | 3(A) | Can only carry Light Fighters/Strike Bombers

Improvements:
Spoiler :
*All resource producing stuff adds 1 commerce on the plot. 4 farms/factories are needed to create a resource.
Wheat Farm | Creates 1/4 wheat
Rice Farm | Creates 1/4 rice
Chicken Farm | Creates 1/4 chicken
Cattle Farm | Creates 1/4 cattle
Sheep Farm | Creates 1/4 sheep
Radio Factory | Creates 1/4 radios
Car Factory | Creates 1/4 cars
Electronics Factory | Creates 1/4 electronics
Clothes Factory | Creates 1/4 clothes
Brewery | Creates 1/4 beer
Factory | 5 hammer
Cottage etc | Same effect

Buildings:
Spoiler :
These + defaults
Aircraft Plant | +50% aircraft production
Recruitment Office | +50% land unit production
Tank Plant | +50% tank production

Techs:
Spoiler :
Any suggestions?

The map is ready, but is has to be cut in size (what can I use for this?) and I'd like the help of anyone who wants to help with the map, to add the different improvements/road/buildings/city sizes. You can volunteer to do a nation. I'll start with the easy Maritime Provinces & Atlantic Coalition.

I've done the improvements now, and decided to go with a more default road: The resources are gained the same way as before, but I'll go forward with the population changes. This is where I need a python coder, to make a code that:
On every attack into a city
- removes 1 pop point (if civ doesn't automatically do that)
- 50-50 chance of it either dying or changing into an UNIT_REFUGEE under the command of The League of Nations.
- Randomly pick any city from any civ not in war and auto-move the unit there.
- Once inside the city, the unit will be deleted & the population of that city risen by 1.

What I still need is some info on the city sizes. There are a ton of cities, and I don't have any idea what size they are. I've attached the map if anyone would like to help.

Finally, everyone loves screenies, so here's the map:

Attachments

• Crimson Skies Map.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 69
Looks very nice! I especially like the idea of the US seperating in the 30's rather than in modern times. Are you going to include foreign troops to help restore order or things like that?

Hmm, barbarian Las Vegas? Did the gamblers take over? :hmm:

I am going to include the Mexicans, and probably the English, Germans, French, Russians & Japanese to give aid, but remember that this is post-WWI time, and everyone except the fascists are pacifists in Europe.

That's just because I'm using civ4 with the 18 civ restriction. I'll add Mexico & Protectorate of Ontario. The Disputed western Territories are barbarian as they are simply no-mans-land.

Added the map as an attachment.

Also, how would I do the Pirates? A major part of the fighting is against pirates, not other nations. The "Hide Nationality" tag of civ3 would come in handy.

sounds very nice paasky, i like the crimson skies scenario, perhaps i can contribute by one or too land units ;) would like to see some images for them

Well, since CS was first created as a dogfighting boardgame, and then continued as a air combat PC/Xbox game, the aircraft are the only ones I have pictures for. But some forms of tankette/armoured car/light tanks would be nice. I think I'll try to do a ship or two :D

http://www.crimsonskiesuniverse.com/universe/planes

Well, here's the steamer I made. Not sure of the poly amount, but it's very low. Should I add the life-boats?

Attachments

• Steamer.png
    Steamer.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 237
Well, the map's read except for Unit/Building placement & city sizes.

Now I need someone to do two different python codes:
1) Randomly spawn a Pirate Zeppelin every 8 turns on a random plot. Should check if it's in use, then do a new random. The map is 61x36. I'm using weeks, so there are 46 weeks in a year.
1b) Same thing, but spawn a barbarian Zep ever 2nd turn.

2) The refugee code.

A larger project would be to make the AI able to use zeps properly. But that's beyond python.
Also, if anyone wants to help with the city sizes, tell me so & I'll give you the latest version of the map, or a citylist.

Still to do from my part are the XML's, as I'm using default rules atm. Any ideas for the tech-tree?

this looks quite interesting, i liked the game a lot, but here are my thoughts

1. boston is part of the atlantic coalition
2. pacifica doesn't extend that far north
3. maybe you could expand the map north and west to include hawaii/alaska
4. pehaps you could make this scenario for warlords, thus negating the 18 civ limit as it has a 24 civ limit, and as it is newer.
5. should have that one indian nation in the midwest
6. add quebec, mexico, etc... eventhis was already mentioned

that's all the suggestions, but you said you needed a refugee mod, and i just happen to know of and immigrant mod which does roughly the same thing http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173972

I hope you can expand the map and add the other nations, it would add a lot if you could fight in alska and hawaii, maybe even including japanese and europeans,but as i said, to do that you would need to convert to warlords

good luuck with the scenario, i hope toplay it soon

1) Yeps, The Atalntic Coal. & Maritime Terr.are different civs.
2) Actually it does, as Vancouver is the northernmost city of Pacifica. The map ends there ;)
3) The reason I haven't expanded it North or West is because it would make the mapmuch much larger and much much slower, and it really doesn't add much. Also, moving the mapinto N/W would require LOT'S of work.
4) Oh it's on warlords, and I've got every civ (except Alaska/Hawaii) that's in the game + Mexico. ATM I'm using 22/24 civs, so two more could be added.
5) Both Lakota & Navajo are ingame.
6) Both in already.

That's nice & dandy, thanks :D

Sure, it adds 2 battlefields more, but believe me, there's enough battling in the mainland ;) I tested the scenario as Dixie without any premature wars/relations, and within 50 turns Mexico, Appalachia & Navajo were at war with me :p

Top Bottom