The status of Civ3

Corsican

Chieftain
Hello,

First post. Wanted to get a little info on the community as of '09. My first question is, what has become of the status of the Civ3 "Masters" (Ision and Zardinaar in particular). I think this remains one of the greatest games ever, I hope it hasn't lost its luster, so to speak. I'm just a regent player myself, so my arms are open to learning as much as possible. Having noticed that the Civ reviews have yet to be completed, I'm curious as to what the old masters have been up to...

Welcome to CFC Corsican! [party]

Zardnaar posted in one of his threads some time ago (Carhage review IIRC)...

I still play C3C, and nothing but, even though I had a 'vacation' for nearly 8 months.

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely one of the greatest games ever. Although some people have moved on, many others are still finding the game for the first time.

The reviews have some good points in them and do prove worth the time to read. But, beware when they start talking about a "tier system" for the tribes. All sorts of conditions can strengthen one tribe while weakening another tribe. As a case in point, usually Sumeria has a lot of potential for space race games at pretty much any level. However, you probably can pick a slew of better tribes for a 20k Deity or Sid game on an 80% archipelago map with minimum opponents. Availability of fresh water can also change the value of an agricultural tribe in an initially slow tech pace game.

Been playing on and off since CivII (pretty intensely when ON) and often wonder what keeps me coming back for more. Feel the same way about the Civfanatics Community. It takes pretty regular check-ins to keep up with the discussions here and under "Strategy & Tips." And judging by the viewer counts for "Creation & Customization" there is still plenty of life in CivIII.

Complements to the staff for keeping things going. Challenges are many: Newbies (to life, to forums, to English, to the game) can be... what can I say the full gamut of great fun to frustraiting; the versions of CivIII (vanilla, PTW, Conquests) often lead to confusion; and for myself a difficulty in finding a way to pitch in and help.

Don't leave, I tell you. Civ4 may (may= a slight chance) be good, but it can never beat Civ3 in gameplay and overall accuracy. I've been playing for about two years now (intensely), and if you have any questions about playing, or editing, I can help (and if I can't, ask somebody else, for I am not, by far, the best player)

Fiddlin Nero: My dog is named Nero ;)

Who said anything about leaving Civ3. Can't imagine going back to CivII, even though I could very easily still be playing it, tried the Civ4 demo and saw nothing to draw me away from CIV3.

My frustration seems to be in the fractured nature of the forums, limitations of the threads and my own ability to communicate well within there constraints. I'm sticking with it though.

Fractured nature? Constraints? How so?

Been away, sorry for the delay in response.

Fractured nature: the main ones that come to mind are the different versions of CivIII and the different objectives that players are pursuing for their own enjoyment or in competition with other players. I find it difficult to contribute many times because I am unsure of these variables. Then there are the many causes that tend to generate a need for many threads and a lost focus of the originator's original intention. This seems to lead to a need for CONSTRAINTS by the originator to keep the thread on track.

I can only express my frustration poorly because of my own poor writing abilities, the other constraints I'm trying to get at are the ones that a couple minutes of verbal conversation would clear up versus the several dozen exchanges within a forum that it would take to clear up (and who has the patients for that, I'm getting windy aren't I)

For me it all really comes down to having a direction and a feeling of contribution towards something.

Hmm, well, if the game was exactly the same, and everybody played it the same, then there really wouldn't be any point in the forums at all. I can't help but agree on the verbal vs writing (texting, if you like), it's much better in person. It doesn't really matter how other people play the game, it's how you do; much of the content in this forum is comparing playing styles. There is bound to be somebody who plays like you do, but then again, maybe not.
and who has the patients for that
I'm sure your local doctor does ;).

Fiddlin Nero said:
I can only express my frustration poorly because of my own poor writing abilities...

You're doing fine :)

I worried too much about expressing myself as a new member here in 2004. Now I don't care anymore. People understand what I'm trying to say anyway ;)

Been playing on and off since CivII (pretty intensely when ON) and often wonder what keeps me coming back for more.

Same here, my girlfriend and I had a conversation about my CivIII addiction and she said that she doesn't care that I play it so much, she just doesn't understand how I can play the *same* game all the time.

I tried to explain to her how each game is very different because everything is random, and if you get bored of that there are various MODs and scenarios to make it different, etc etc. Needless to say, she didn't get it. :mischief:

I think all of the user made MODs, custom maps and units are what is keeping CivIII going. It's something new and fresh from a game that was released almost a decade ago...

Civilization 3 is a worthy game compared to other great games such as the Diablo Series, Warcraft, even Civilization 2! (and I LOVE civ2). It is a pity that you can't really buy it anymore, why don't they release it her in Aus? (I had to get my copy via Internetz)

Trust me, it's worth getting into, unless you don't want to lose hours of sleep.

I love this forum, there are no other civ3 players in my school, most play Warcraft, or (sadly) civ4. For me the playing is just as fun as the editing; I just downloaded FLICster, and am having a good time fitting sounds to the units that I downloaded.

Well im new to Civ3 and find it intriguing, Ive owned C3C for quite some time, but everytime i went to play it, i got bored or didnt like some aspect. This time around I approached it with an open mind, mainly cause I cant quite recall who i let borrow CivII so I figured ill give CivIII an honest shot and found out it is enjoyable just takes some time to get used to for me, I played CivII from 1997 till today.

Glad you like it! I only play civ3, so I don't know how different it is from civ2. Civ4 though, don't play that....It's still civ, but turned upside down.

Glad you like it! I only play civ3, so I don't know how different it is from civ2. Civ4 though, don't play that....It's still civ, but turned upside down.
Civ 1 was a straight 9. Messy, but for its time addictive, new and good. Highly entertaining. Empires would split up when you took the capital! :D

Best Game Feature Ever.

Civ 2 was a 9. Built its predecessor's success and made it better. Loved that game. Not over the top like you see from other sequels.
Civ 3, I'd rate that a 9. Not a 10 because not much is a 10.
Civ IV... I'd rate it a 4 for eyecandy and effort. I understand the idea, but the result is just bad. It's like the transformers movie. It looks ok, I get the idea. But it sucks. Some might like it, but I don't.
I like the first 2 terminator better. Or Rambo 1. They have a great story, I get hooked up, it's not too flashy and I want to relive it over and over again. Just like Civ3.

Civ1 id personally give an 8
CivII a 9.5
and Civ3 a 7 personally.

Maybe im biased lol, but i played Civ1 after i played Civ2 to death

Civ IV... I'd rate it a 4 for eyecandy and effort. I understand the idea, but the result is just bad. It's like the transformers movie. It looks ok, I get the idea. But it sucks. Some might like it, but I don't.
Completely agree with you there...

Here are my ratings for the CIV games I play:

Civilization III: 8
Reason: Relatively simplistic gameplay with lots of strategy possibilites. Modding the game is very easy via the map editor, though there are limitations to both.
Civilization IV: 7.5 Much more complicated than Civ3, though there is still lots of strategy possibilities with the almost completely redesigned tech tree, units, wonders etc. Graphics are very good, though it is harder to customize, though you can do much, much more since CIV has the source code revealed for every player.

Top Bottom