The Steam Awards

sherbz

Deity
Just curious to see if/whether anyone from the community is keen to share any of their picks for the steam awards.

Im quite often frozen out from these, as i usually wait for a sale and rarely these days do i join the ranks of people who absolutely must have a day 1 purchase. I have made 4 nominations this year though. They are:

Best game - They are Billions - not quite sure how this one counts, as it was released late December last year. I guess its because nominations close end of November, so it therefore falls in this year. Anyway, even though only in Beta still - what a Beta it was. Great game and an original twist on the RTS genre. If they can nail the campaign this may turn out to be a classic.

Best Studio - 11bit studios - I was a big fan of this war is mine. And Frost Punk is a pretty solid entry into the strategy arena. But the main reason i chose them is that they included a DLC in their season pass whereby all the money made would be donated to a charity that provides support to children affected by war. Which i thought was a nice touch.

Labour of Love - No mans sky - Slightly ironic that this was many peoples picks last year as most disappointing game of 2017. After their disastrous launch, and absolute panning they received by reviewers, i think it would have been easy to just take the money and run. But to their credit, they seem to have been beavering away at this over the past year. And it is now something approaching what was originally promised. And i think that is commendable.

Best alternate history - I have read quite a bit on Wolfensteins alternate history. And it does intrigue me quite a bit i must be honest - even though i rarely go in for FPSs these days. Im waiting for a sale before i get, but im getting it primarily for that reason. So it takes the prize.

I almost exclusively play Paradox games, point-and-click games and RPGs, but I'm happy to say what I chose:

Game of the Year: Pathfinder Kingmaker - I've only played three new games this year (AC Odyssey, PK & KCD), so there wasn't exactly much choice here.
Labour of Love: Crusader Kings II - it's nearly seven years old at this point and it's still getting quality DLCs.
Best Developer: Paradox Development Studios - there aren't many options I could vote for on personal experience, so I chose the one that eats up so much of my leisure time.
Best Environment: Kingdom Come Deliverance - The scenery is lovely and it's quite possibly the closest we'll come to a real mediaeval town without actually visiting one.
Better with Friends: Titan Quest Anniversary - I don't really play multi-player games, so there weren't many I could pick in this category.
Best Alternative History: Europa Universalis IV - Well, it was this or CK II and EU IV has the better map-painting mechanics.
Most Fun with a Machine: Stellaris - Somewhat of a stretch, I'll admit, but I haven't played Crazy Machines in literal years and Materialist empires are a valid option in Stellaris.

Haha. I suppose I could have picked Stellaris on best fun with a machine on that basis. I felt it was more of a specific type of machine type of award. Paradox is also a good pick for the best developer.

I don't think steam should force you into picking games in a field where you have little or no involvement. But the way they have set up their awards that seems to be the case.

If you are interested, the Steam Awards are back and there is one category where you could nominate Civ VI for an award. Go the following link https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/ and you can nominate it in the Labor of Love Award category. It's available until today at 10 a.m. PST.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.50.55 AM.png

I put CK2 in that category. It's far better suited to it than Civ VI.

Not that ive played it, but id put no mans sky in for that award. Its really come a long way since its disaster at launch. Even has VR support now. I voted that way last year too. And they have continued with the good work.

Well this was an interesting thread to revive, if only to see what my choices last year were. :p

Top Bottom