The Steel slingshot

Patricko

Warlord
This is a strategy that has worked well for me, so thought I'd share it it. Probably old hat to the more experienced players.

Cannons are such a powerful unit that being the first to get Steel can be game winning.

The method I use is:

1. Save a Great Scientist from your GP farm (you'll need him later)
2. Research to within 1 turn of completing Liberalism
3. Tech to get Engineering and Gunpowder (a GE can help)
4. Then use the GS for Chemistry. It won't complete it so you spend a couple of turns finishing teching Chemistry.
5. Once Chemistry is done finish Liberalism and use that to get Steel.

While you've been teching, you should have been building Trebs. Once Steel is in, put you research down to 0% to get gold and upgrade those Trebs to Cannon while building more Cannon. Then go on the rampage!

It really doesn't matter what units you use with the Cannon. Old axemen left over from the BCs will do, but obviously stonger units mean you need less cannon.

This is a fun alternative to Cuirs.

pretty basic stuff for Cannon route. however, the real difficulty lies not how to beeline Steal and afterward but mainly how to get it first and safely. The Steal is usually researched no earlier than 1000AD, which is 150+ turns to survive. How to safely cruise there involves too many techniques and a lot of luckiness on Deity. On, IMM or lower, especially where early survival is not a problem. Cannon beeline is indeed a overpowered strategy, even more powerful on smaller map scripts.

There's already a new post on the subject with more details here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13047114&postcount=1

Edit:

And in addition to what Amao said, one of the most important aspects in this type of play is key planning in regards to GS generation. I'll help. Start 2 GS in 1000 BC and keep them. At 1AD start 2 more GS (new city) and keep them too, although, this city should be capable of running 5 in a starved state some turns later. At 500AD have a 3rd city already set up that can run 5 GS. You're original city running its 1st 2 GS should have been able to grow even more with the addition of CS.......

Now, at 500AD start a GA with the GA you got from Music (good for trade either way). IMO a later GA works much better when going for Cannons. It lets you get key infrastructure in place (finish whipping so you can stay in caste/pac a bit longer), grow cities bigger, make sure religion is in GP cities, the ability to research a little faster because you have more improved commerce tiles, etc. Now switch civics to Caste/Pacifism/Shared Religion for the 3 cities. You're original city running scientist runs 4, your city from 1AD and 500AD both run 5GS. Keep in Caste/Pac/Religion until 760 AD and you'll have generated 3 more GS, for a grand total of 5 (you already would have got 2 til this point). I like to use my 1st GS on an early Academy, 1X Philo, use 1X on EDU, 1X PP, and 1X Chemistry. This usually guarantees Libbing Steel in the late 800s.

That seems like a long time to sit on "1 turn away from Liberalism"... how can you ensure the AI don't get it while you are researching the THREE other techs needed?

That seems like a long time to sit on "1 turn away from Liberalism"... how can you ensure the AI don't get it while you are researching the THREE other techs needed?

By checking the F4 screen.

Top Bottom