1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Story in Iran

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by egroen, Jan 21, 2010.

1. egroen

egroen Her Grace

Prior to 1979 Iran was the most secular and westernized country in the middle east... but overnight, contraceptives were banned and the legal marrying age for women went from 18 to 13. Currently, 50% of the population is under 25 and almost 2/3 of the population is under 35. The 1979 Islamic Revolution literally gave birth to its own death. These people are well-educated and "wired" --- The internet will prove to be the death knell of the Islamic Regime, as the information out there directly contradicts what they are being told by the State-Owned Media in Iran.

Foreign journalists have been kicked out, locked up and killed. The regime is sentencing non-violent protesters to death for 'warring against god'.

Please help get the story out there. These are brave people, fighting tyranny for basic human rights and a real democracy.

A recent message from a friend in Tehran: "..for now it is very dangerous to take pictures you can get arrested..its almost 20 basiji militias in every corner of the streets and even if you want to buy some bread they ask you where are you going. but for 22 bahman in februari [February 11] it will be millions out again and revolt..that day i will take many pictures because when we are many they cant do anything."

A YouTube video I recently made as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5YpIUpuF8

2. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Iran will have its Tiananmen Square before this is over.

We will see if the people can bear it and continue to push reform.

3. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

You might want to go here.

4. egroen

egroen Her Grace

I have great hope... these are not just students leading this revolt; they are many of the same who led the 1979 Revolution and have become disillusioned since then. They succeeded in a revolution once.

The Regime has recently stated there will be no more "mercy" on the protesters... I do fear further violence. But with Iranians, as it did in 1979, martyrs only incite the movement all the more, with people taking to the streets with more momentum at each mourning period.

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I think one of the main ways to help (outside of actual time & money) is to keep on bugging the media for news about the Iranian protests. Use the search term "Iran" in the main news websites, and click on the links.

I have a strong affection for the current Iranian agitation. I believe that we're going to see the effects of education & economical empowerment finally causing a change in government.

6. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

a change in government or the overthrow of the state?

7. egroen

egroen Her Grace

Provided the West does not botch this up, I guarantee they will find Iran as their biggest ally in the Middle East within 25 years.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and support - I am so scared for my friends and family living there, but so proud of the stand they are making.

8. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

What? I was under the impression that the protestors are not pro-western

9. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

I, as well, am very proud of the Iranian people and they have my full support. I support an invasion and spending US lives for their cause.

10. egroen

egroen Her Grace

I don't know what will happen or what is best - but change is coming to Iran. The diabolical, Western-hating leaders of the original revolution are getting old, and the next generation is three times the size, and more open and educated than they can imagine.

Is open, armed revolution best? Or does it best come in small pieces and over time through reform? I usually side with the latter, but I vascilate a lot... especially this being so close to my heart.

11. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Mmm hmm. How many Iranians do you think would support that?

12. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

They'd greet us with "candy and flowers", of course.

13. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

14. egroen

egroen Her Grace

The pro-regime rallies, where american flags were burned and "death to Israel and USA" were chanted, were recent and received media coverage (this is the only official news and coverage coming from Iran).

The people on the streets dying, that are being jailed - their story is being silenced. They want a secular democracy... many of their family, like mine, has fled the country. I voted, but doubt my vote (or any from overseas) was counted. Women and other religions want to be accorded full rights. These are now western ideals tbut were originally written down by Cyrus the Great, whom has been denounced by the current Regime.

15. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Yeah but that doesn't mean the country's foreign policy would be pro-western. I have no doubt people want a more transparent and free political system, better women's rights and a more secular society, but those qualities don't make a country pro western.

16. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Oh, I couldn't distinguish. It seems (to me) that the Iranian government is capable of being a legitimate one, it merely needs to be tweaked in that direction. The majority of the people within the government could affect the necessary change, and the populace is currently motivating them in that direction.
    I had a colleague with family there. He was really worried as well. It's hard being outside the country, because there's just not much a person can do. I'm terrified of my government trying to intervene, because I just don't know how they can intervene and actually help the agitators. Outside support is usually used as a reason for crackdowns, but (at the same time) agitators appreciate outside support.

17. egroen

egroen Her Grace

I see... however, sharing common values, ideals and cultures certainly will help break down those walls. It will not be an overnight thing.

Even very religious, muslim Iranians are steeped in Persian culture and Zoroastrianism -- ideals that literally helped provide a large part of the foundation to western civilization and even religion (christianity).

18. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

I support the Iranian revolt.

However (many of you will find this odd) I am not sure a U.S. invasion of Iran is a good idea--yet. The reason I supported the U.S. invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan was because the oppressive regimes controlling those two nations had such an incredible stranglehold on the People that revolution was not possible. That is not the case with Iran.

At least, not yet.

19. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

All the best. for those in Iran :) Take care thou.

20. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

That would be the stupidest idea since the invention of sub prime loans.

You're not that stupid. But just to be on the safe side: Please tell me that was a joke.
    If they share many of the values the west does, then it would be pro-whatever-the-west-is-pro, no?