The Succession Game

It took me quite a while, but I'm back from travel and some sick time.
Will try to play shortly.

Hey, sorry I haven't been very active but seems like not a lot has happened here anyway. I'm on summer vacation now which means I have lots of spare time on my hands, so I'll read up on the game to know what's going on here. :)

I have a couple of things on my hands ATM, so if anyone wants to jump in?
Gurra?

Return of the Dido(s)
After Redwings1340's hasty departure from his post as President of Carthage in 1922 new elections were prepared to be held but they were never concluded.

From the Carthaginian port of Tsuruga two men of the Uticus family, descendants of the ancient Didos, had travelled to the Nagoya on the day of the elections. Their names were Gurra and Arrug, and no one knew for sure who they really were. Many stories were told and on the streets they were known both as lovers and as twin brothers. However it happened to be so that these two men somehow overthrew the government, reestablished the old Dido title and for the next 19 years ruled the lands of Carthage as the Two Didos. To this day no result has been confirmed for the 1922 elections and officially they are still ongoing, although new elections have been held later.

Conquest of Gao
Under the Two Didos' command the Carthaginian Navy moved their ships right outside the Songhai capital and after a year-long siege the city of Gao fell to Carthage. The nation's Muslim community was especially happy with this as they now had unlimited access to the Holy City of Islam. Redwings1340 III had ordered the city of Jenne to be razed to the ground but this decision was stopped and a Courthouse was built.

Askia of the Songhai offered the former Greek city of Argos in peace negotiations and after liberating the city to its former owner to better diplomatic relations with leaders of the world, the war between Carthage and Songhai was now over.

Spoiler :

A Wonderful Time
The next few years was a time of peace and rebuilding. While the Two Didos are most known for their accomplishments on the battlefield they are also known for their investment in culture. All over the nation amphitheatres, opera houses and museums were built. Great works of writing from both Carthage and other places on the islands were showcased and tourism increased. Teams of workers were hired to build a network of railroad to connect the growing empire.

Great philosopher Boethius completed a list of the World's Most Wonderful Peoples and The Two Didos' Carthage was number 1 on that list.

Spoiler :

Not all places on Earth were as splendid as the Carthaginian lands though. In the north the Dutch Army ventured further and further into Siamese lands, to the point where Si Satchanalai became part of the Netherlands and Wellington once again became a free city-state.

Spoiler :

I Dream of Athens

The Two Didos had heard many great stories of the city of Athens far away in Greece and their dream had always been to step foot in that magnificent city but Alexander never invited them to visit. After years of making repairments and resting, the Carthaginian Navy departed from Gao and war was declared against the Greek nation in 1938.

Spoiler :

In 1939, the World Congress met in the Songhai capital of Tombouctou. Even though this was the first time the Congress met here and not in Gao, the Songhai insisted to call the event the Third Tombouctu Conference. The proposals were to ban Incense trading and repeal the Scholars in Residence resolutions. The Carthaginian delegation didn't have any strong feelings about any of these proposals and decided to abstain all their votes. Neither of the proposed resolutions were passed.

After having acquired new city-state allies, Carthage was now one of the two nations having the most votes in the Congress and could now propose a resolution for the next Congress conference to vote on. Not wanting to upset any world leaders, the delegation chose to propose voting on the establishment of International Games which no leader had a negative attitude towards.

Spoiler :

The Carthaginian Navy conquered Athens in only two years and in 1940 the Two Didos set foot in the former Greek capital and it was just as great as they had imagined it. They decided to stay there for good and resigned from their positions as Didos in 1941. An interrim regime was formed to put the old parliamentary government back in place with elections to be hold next year. Resistance had finally ended in Gao and the city was renamed New Nagoya to show Songhai who were the new rulers there.

Spoiler :

Out of character
Okay, so the Songhai war was successful and I went on to capturing the Greek capital which is now ours. We're still at war with Alexander and I say we shouldn't try to end it just yet even though we have Athens because capturing Sparta would give us a passage down to Attila's Court. All capitals are on the coast except for Amsterdam so we can get a lot of use of our navy.

We're still open for several victory conditions and there are many ways to go. We have the control of 4 original capitals which leaves just 8 more to go for Domination. I also opened up a little bit for a Cultural victory by almost doubling our tourism output and we're now producing the third most Tourism. Also, except for the declining Songhai, we have the lead in tech so we could just as well go for the Science victory. Domination games are fun though and most of the world already have mixed feelings about us anyway... even Maria is guarded nowadays.

Here's our demographics, we're number one in everything except literacy but we should be able to pass Songhai now that they only have one city. I started researching Rocketry but switched to Combustion when I realised that tech would give us Destroyers.

Spoiler :

I forgot to take screenshots of the rest of the empire but there's not much to see really. There's an archaeologist digging up stuff outside Hokuto and I did show you a screenshot of the Greek-Songhai area a few paragraphs up. :) There are also some workers running around building railroads in our mainland. We have lots of money and 450 GPT so anything is buyable really.

Who's playing next?

Attachments

• Dido_0361 AD-1941.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 232
Nice! Who's going next? Putchuco, if you can go anytime reasonably soon (next weekish), then awesome, otherwise, maybe Caesar can take it.

It seemed like every other ruler of the Carthaginian Empire had someone ruling with the name of CaesarKyros. Strange.

The Conquest of Greece
CaesarKyros the 7th was in the prime of his life, and he just wanted to see the world burn :devil:.
The previous rulers of the Empire did a great job of burning, but Kyros wanted MORE; he wanted all cities that could compare in splendor to those of the Carthaginians. That meant much purging had to be done.

Kyros began by finishing the conquest of Greece. He did this not only because he wanted those filthy Greeks gone, but he also wanted a clear path to Attila's Court. After a few turn of killing, Alexander, the so-called son of Zeus, asked for a peace treaty which was quickly denied. After the peace treaty was offered and ten quickly denied, the troops attacking Athens were quickly killed by the extra battleships and bombers floating around. When the walls of Knossos fell and the flag of Carthage rose above the city, a worker belonging to the dirty Huns was found hiding in a wine cellar. The worker was given back to the Huns, but that wouldn't matter because we were going to kill EVERYBODY.

[/B]The road to New Conquests[/B]
After the Greeks had been sufficiently dealt with, Kyros pondered the idea of declaring war against multiple opponents at the same time. Surely, with the power of his navy, no one could stop him, right? After checking with the advisors (who only existed in his head), he decided to ask Askia about open borders (to attack Japan). Kyros asked for open borders, and Askia sked for: Whales, Pearls, Gold, Gems, Ivory, Furs, Silk, Cotton, Copper, Crab, Truffles, 5 Iron, 5 Aluminum, 278 GPT, and Open Borders. Kyros rejected just on the basis of his Truffles. As time passed, nations began denouncing The Carthaginians while Kyros began his slow conquest of two empires.

THe Slaughter
Kyros had only a single battleship and 2 bombers attacking Kyoto at first, but after all, what could the Japanese do? They had no troops that could even compare to Kyros' and Kyros was sending even more battleships to provide assistance. Attila's court fell within the fist two minutes of sieging by the Navy's two most powerful battleships. All of this killing had upset the people of Carthage, but they could not see what Kyros could see, so the world must continue to burn. The fight against Japan proved to difficult, mostly because Jenne was undefended and few troops were actually attacking. When the Japanese siege against Jenne came, the empire's finest paratrooper(just one, mind you) dropped near enemy lines. In the north, war was declared against Portugal, who had submarines, so the fight would be (slightly) more difficult. Shortly after the main fleet arrived near Kyoto, the city fell. This had the unfortunate effect of putting the empire at -22 happiness. A splinter fleet moved to assist in taking Lisbon, but morale was extremely low so little damage was done. Now the people were angry. They revolted and formed legions of great war infantry in remembrance of the good times. Long story short, Kyros mercilessly killed them and while more ships arrived near Lisbon.

The end
A mysterious man started preaching about peace and how we don't have to kill to win, we can merely win the WC. Naturally, this man was assassinated by secret agents because, well, why don't we set fire to the world.

(For the next person, I want to see how you enter ruling. By being overthrown, by assassins,
whatever.)

Out of character
We went from 450 GPT to... 147 GPT
We went from positive happiness to... -5 happiness
I saw a horse on a mountain
I killed MANY people

Attachments

• Dido_0381 AD-1961.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 268
I wonder what made the people of Carthage elect such an aggressive leader in their first election after the rule of the Two Didos. Maybe he had a very impressive campaign or the people just loves war. :lol:

Anyway, nicely done! I had to read the Slaughter paragraph twice to get an overview of how many civs you really declared war against. :p So we're certainly going down the Domination path now (unless we do an aggressive culture victory by killing people and influence the rest :D).

Who's next? Putchuco?

Caesar, you are a true warlord in this game. I suppose Putchuco is next, then me again I suppose if we you don't end it. I'm looking forward to seeing what we do next!

Sorry guys, the world cup kept me busy over the last 4 weeks...
Maybe I can fit my round in today before the finale. :)

I did make it before the game... :)

Will write up tomorrow, here's the save game for the next to continue.

Just one capitol remaining... ;)

Attachments

• Dido_0400 AD-1980.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 229
Here's a little overview of the last 20 turns:

381: As I'm a big fan of City-State-Support I made Antwerp and Quebec our Allies.
And as the war with Portugal was hot, I bought a Rocket Artillery in Hokuto.
Focusing everything on a quick win against Portugal, 2nd fleet in eastern ocean commanded up north.

382: Holding back an attack on Washington, as I would like to finish Portugal first, then Washington, and then go back up north.

383: Int'l Games have been voted on. This won't make any difference on the current and planned wars.. :king:

385: Taking Lisboa! followed by immediate peace with Maria... :)

386: Immediate declaration of war with Washington, attack from South with Land units while attacking from the North with Battleships.
Annexed all puppet Greek cities and bought Courthouses. Happiness boost...

387: Attack on Washington in full force.

388: Taking Washington!, but they won't hear about my peace offering...
Building some zoos; I really hate unhappiness...

389: Land forces move up North towards... NETHERLANDS, they are AMSTERDAMNED!

390: Circling Amsterdam with tons of Battleships

392: Invented Combined Arms, which opens up the Tank, nice.

393: I moved too few Paratroopers towards Amsterdam, can't take the city directly.

394: New Policy: Nav School (this will change the course of history very little...)

397: Taking Amsterdam!

398: Peace with Netherlands, moving directly up north to the next target...

399: Taking Assur!

If I'm not mistaken there is only one city left to take, India, here we come...

Will post some screenshots later.

The game is almost over, take it away!

I'll play next I suppose, unless someone who hasn't played in a while wants to take it. Nice work, and this is looking pretty awesome!

Top Bottom