1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Suggestion for Majapahit

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Zenstrive, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Majapahit was a great empire that had its domain in almost all of south east asia archipelago and the peninsula.

The story of it can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majapahit

"....the King [of Java] has subject to himself seven crowned kings. [Yet] his island is populous, and is the second best of all island that exist.... The king of this island has a palace which is truly marvelous. For it is very great, the stairs and palace interior were coated with gold and silver, even the roof were gilded with gold. Now the Great Khan of China many a time engaged in war with this king; but this king always vanquished and get the better of him."

— Description of Majapahit by Mattiussi (Friar Odoric of Pordenone)

I am still wondering my firaxis never include this one. This is clearly one of the major empire in history, eclipsing even Iroquois and Siam.

I suggest the following:

Leader:

Hayam Wuruk. Use Kromo Inggil (High Caste) Java language.

UA:

Glory of The Archipelago: Coastal cities have 10% gold bonus and 15 XP bonus to sea units, 15 XP bonus to sea units from harbor, 15 XP bonus to sea units from seaport.

UB:

Candi (replaces temple): +3 culture, +1 happiness.

UU:

Keris Warrior: 18 attack, + 25% attack when attacking melee. Replace Longswordman. Keris warriors are warrior that use keris. Keris said to have mystical power and a very potent killing weapon.

City List:

Spoiler :
    Kahuripan

Daha

Tumapel

Wengker

Matahun

Wirabhumi

Paguhan

Kabalan

Pawanuan

Lasem

Pajang

Mataram

Jayakarta

Magelang

Bandung

Semarang

Demak

Palembang

Gurun

Seran

Tanjung Pura

Haru

Pahang

Dompo

Bali

Sunda

Makassar

I hope this can begin a discussion for this glorious empire mostly forgotten by Civ developers :)

2. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

The UA is borderline OP
    The UB is decent.

The UU is just....OP. Overpowered to an extreme. They're a warrior replacement with 12 strength and a bonus against every unit that would be fielded at the time.

3. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Sorry about that Keris Warrior. Should be 6 attack and not +6 attack :p

I am now thinking about it replacing Longsword man though, because making 14th century Keris requires unique metallurgy. Will edit as necessary afterward after thinking it through.

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

As with other perhaps worthy empires, it was most likely not included in the game due to a lack of notoriety amongst the target audience. Being well known is much more important than historical influence is for inclusion in the game. That said, hopefully this would be made available for use in a mod. :)

5. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Can anyone points out mod tutorial to make a civ?

6. Palfouri

Palfouri Chieftain

Siam.

They also have to fill quotas like with Songhai.

7. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Alright, Keris Warrior will now be replacing Longswordman. Why?

1. Longswordman is a unit in an era where war is mostly waged in Civ V.
    2. Keris requires mysterious metallurgy akin to steel making.

Attack equivalent to Longswordman, +25% when attacking other melee unit. Should bonus apply to base attack or apply to total attack after promotions, terrain, flanking, wonder, general bonii :D ?

8. Vordeo

Vordeo Chieftain

Kael's guide is excellent.

Good luck!

9. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

will learn more of Kael's guide.

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would posit that a degree of geographical spread is endeavoured for, and that Siam is more well known than Majapahit.

11. Vordeo

Vordeo Chieftain

12. Revoran

Revoran Chieftain

Also the Majapahit empire existed from about 1300 to about 1500 (The Srivijaya Empire preceded it) which is when Longswordsmen were around in Europe. So it makes sense that way. Though the technology level of the Majapahit I dunno about whether it warrants that good of a special unit. Perhaps have them replace the regular Swordsman? Let's face it, an Indonesian guy with some bronze armor and a Keris doesn't have the same power or reach (LONGsword, see) a Longswordsman in full Steel armor does.

I've been advocating having these guys included in CiV ever since I heard about them. There is actually more support for these guys than you would think:

13. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Whew, Majapahit got some love afterall :)

Anyway, I can somehow explain why I want the Keris Warrior to have similar strength to Longswordman: Many Javanese warriors are also adept at Martial Arts, many even said to have powerful Kung Fus if you will. Combine that with Keris unique metallurgy and its "mystical power" (mostly due to poison, so I heard) you have tough dudes that may surpass Longswordman that rely on armors and lengths.

Now on UA: Should I stick with the coastal city bonus or will this be better:

UA:

Glory of Archipelago: Coastal cities have 10% gold bonus and 15 XP bonus to sea units, 15 XP bonus to sea units from harbor, 15 XP bonus to sea units from seaport.

14. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

15. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Hi and thanks for planning making Majapahit Civ, an empire that once ruled the place I'm living now :)
    I've got something to add, though...

Unique Units
    Spoiler :
    I would like to suggest Bhayangkara (Majapahit's war army) rather than Keris Warrior.. or maybe because I've never heard about Keris Warrior any before :D

Then about the city name, I know this is wasn't a big part of the Civilization, but just adding so it could be a little bit historical, which was during the Majapahit reign...
    *From Kahuripan (now Surabaya) to Mataram (now Yogyakarta) is a brilliant choice for city names, it was already known during Majapahit's.
    1. Daha was known as Dahanapura at that time.
    2. Jayakarta name was given after the capture of the region from Portuguese. During year 397-1527, it was known as Jayakarta.
    3. Bandung was built during the time of Dutch Colonization in Indonesia, under Governor William Daendels.
    4. Semarang was known as Bergota until May 1, 1547 (Majapahit already collapsed)
    5. Magelang was established on April 11, 907 under the name of Glanggang.
    6. Palembang and Demak, no problem :)

As we know, all of this city are located in Java Island only, except Palembang, which is in Sumatra. Because Majapahit rules territory which is now including Indonesia itself, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, part of Philipines,and so on, I think we should add some more Outside-Javanese City, which we can inherit from Gajah Mada's Palapa oath,

"Lamun huwus kalah nusantara isun amukti palapa, lamun kalah ring Gurun, ring Seran, TaƱjung Pura, ring Haru, ring Pahang, Dompo, ring Bali, Sunda, Palembang, Tumasik, samana isun amukti palapa".

There's city called Gurun, Seran, Tanjung Pura, Haru, Pahang, Dompo, Bali, Sunda, Palembang and Tumasik. I've checked and each of this are located right in Majapahit's maximum territory and on the exact name at it was before :)

I'll update if I find some better information than this one :)

16. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Salam, BenZL43, seneng dapet temen di civfanatics :)

Anyway, I'll add your city names on the lists.

Also, could you describe Bhayangkara? I can only see men using spears and shields, which is closer to spearmen we already have. Probably Spearmen with bonus 30% when close to each other :D ? Or we can use Bhayangkara name for my Keris Warriors concept...

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

Oh, I don't know. I mean, Siam/Thailand is still an independent state. :mischief:

Civ doesn't have to be historically accurate, just close enough. :p

They're not exactly the Britain or China, granted. Both are/were quite important in their own respective regions though.

A UU doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than the original unit. In this case, a Kris Swordsman might be cheaper to train and have some other special abilities (increased maneuverability, perhaps? On account of not being loaded down with heavy armor) to make up for the reduced strength.

18. haroon

haroon Chieftain

well, to inform you, indeed they are pretty more developt in metal-casting then european in that day, as some of the Keris are forge sometimes with meteorite material. Suprise? even me suprise. There are things in history that we dont even cant imagene. For instance, chinese, they produce their sword with chrome, it's being reveal after the discovery of Terrakota relics, they produce it in BC period, sword made with chrome, and that sword, even already past thousand year, it still on great shape. While we know, in europe, chrome are invent first in german at 1940's.

And in that time, Majapahit even can defeat a Tartar troops (Mongol) that being send to capture Java. I think the UA make sense and do have base arguments.

19. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Hai salam salam :)
    Hore ada orang Indonesia juga yeahahahaha
    Bhayangkara.. I'll explain later.. There's exam tomorrow at school lol :)
    I'll better ask my history teacher too what weapon they use if she is at school tomorrow :)

20. Brawndo

Brawndo Chieftain

Well if historical influence is the overriding factor for including a civ in the main game, then they need to add the Spanish, Dutch, Byzantines, Mayans, Koreans, Portuguese, Sumerians, and Vikings before they even CONSIDER flavor civs like the Javanese :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.