1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sun never sets on the British Empire

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by redwings1340, Oct 27, 2016.

1. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

When I play a game, I don't grade myself necessarily for how fast I tech or how soon I win, but for how much I'm using civ specific bonuses, and how much I can feel like I've been that civilization at the height of their power. In past games, getting bonuses for cross continental colonization has always fallen a bit flat in my opinion. Indonesia's settle on other continents for spices bonus was never game deciding, denmark's pillaging always fell a little short, and england was good at sea warfare, but settling cities in the mid game has never felt too productive in V, even for civs that wanted exploration.

Cue me loading up England in VI, with the goal: roleplay as Victoria and create an overseas empire that can help support my core cities.

Well, my presence on my first landmass is modest, just four cities, while brazil is there, doing the AI thing of just getting a massive amount of horsemen and doing nothing with them.

http://imgur.com/VXYWUfE

However, I also have...

http://imgur.com/Afl8mj6

With every single one of my conquests and settlements on the other continents giving me a melee unit, and eventually a naval dockyard, I have 38 trade routes, 865 gold per turn (and it could be more, I'm using some card slots for tourism instead of increased gold), and with the +10 gold, +5 production per trade route policy, I'm getting a ton of extra production too, with barely any industrial zones. It's rare that I get a game where I get to use every one of my civ bonuses for great effect, but this one has been one of my most fun games for abusing civ based abilities, and I'm doing it in a way that would have been impossible in V, or at least impossible to this extent.

England is amazing, and the mechanics in civ VI are awesome. Whenever I tried something different from tradition in Civ V, it always felt... weak. I've won in VI in a few different ways now, trying to match the strengths of my civilization or the terrain, and it's felt pretty strong so long as I have enough space to do it. All hail the british colonies.

Side note: is sharing images from imgur broken? I used to do it, but it doesn't seem to show up when I try now.

2. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

That would be a lot easier in Civ5 with Austria.