1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Swamp is Overflowing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, May 10, 2018.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-donald-trump-lawyer-michael-cohen/594358002/

Trump didn't need to pay off Stormy, his lawyer has been raking in the dough... But it does appear Trump's been paying him, so was Trump's lawyer selling access without the Donald knowing about his side business? Was Trump paying Cohen to cover his 'bimbo alert' in addition to whatever the lawyer could get from special interests? If I was Trump I'd be mad as hell. Why pay Cohen when the guy's making millions from people wanting "access"?

The question now is: did Trump get money thru his lawyer?

Bribery aint nothing new in Washington... The 2 parties threaten to regulate someone and the tap opens up. That much is bipartisan.

edit: I guess Trump paid his lawyer during the campaign to cover his 'indiscretions' and the selling of access came later once Trump won election.

2. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Novartis 1.2 Mil payment stands out, that is one massive payment for "healthcare consulting"
    Iam wondering if this was what had promoted the FBI raid and seizure of evidence from Cohen.

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-china-zte_us_5af9f701e4b0200bcab7fa66

scumbag

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Make China Great Again...as long as they pay the bribes.

This is making for mass hilarity in the Breitbarf Bubble of Disinformation. Trump tweeted about saving ZTE, so Breitbarf dutifully reported what a great thing Trump was doing, but of course they are not mentioning the widely circulated obvious reason he did it. In the absence of that the clowns in the comments section are casting a wide net for speculations on "what is the great deal Trump is making for America here?"

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

Wait so ZTE wantonly flouted IP protections and an arms embargo, got caught, did it again and now he's saving them?

I thought the rationale for the trade war with China was IP protections?

Well I guess that goes to show his base will never leave him.

6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

He's going to keep doing whatever he wants as long as he's getting away with it. It's the rich brat way.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

https://www.caller.com/story/news/2...hold-finds-safe-harbor-port-lavaca/600039002/

Just when I thought a little bit of sleaze was getting drained out of Washington, this piece of snot hangs onto the GOP nostril

How can we make the Calhoun Port Authority pay for that? I'd like to know who hired him.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The US has been stealing too many Gyna Jobs, for years the US have cheated and been so unfair to Gyna, US has so many unfair trade tarriffs on steel and alumium all by that crazy US President
    Were going to make Gyan Great again.

All it took was 500 Mil investment / bribe
    I guess trade wars are good and easy after all

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  9. Oerdin

Oerdin Chieftain

Trump is the swamp. He flip flops a 180 on ZTE (who was caught red handed selling US goodies to both North Korea and Iran) with in 24 hours of the Chinese government paying a half billion dollar bribe to Trump Tower Indonesia. This is after every single last western intelligence agency said Chinese state owned ZTE is a major part of Chinese communist party espionage.

Moderator Action: <snip> removed calls for killing Trump supporters and issued a temporara ban - ori
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  10. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

Sen Grassley from the state of Ethanol - I mean Iowa - is mad at EPA administrator Scott Pruitt. Apparently Pruitt has been issuing waivers to refineries who dont like adding ethanol (corn) to gasoline.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I mean.. This is why this guy wanted to be president. Why is this news to some people?

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

13. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Donald Trump is a great man, comparable to the old fathers of your country!

In his own mind.

14. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Before Trump, I never realized just how above the law the president is, at least while he is in office. He can blatantly accept bribes from foreign powers and then do things to undermine national security in favor of the country that bribed him. All anyone can do is impeach him and try to remove him from office, but as long as the other party holds at least 1/3 of the Senate seats and hasn't abandoned him yet, that won't do anything. We're in banana republic territory now.

Baby boomers often talk about how Watergate shattered their trust in government and made them cynical. To me, it just looks like they were incredibly naive. They basically grew up in the Garden of Eden, or the Matrix, because the government was unusually non-corrupt and run by civic-minded presidents from 1933-1968 (arguably to 1972). Also, of course, the news was very centralized in the early TV era, with three major networks all saying the same thing, and everyone trusting a few soothing men to tell them the truth. So things like how we overthrew various Central American leaders and replaced them with repressive right-wing regimes at the behest of the United Fruit Company, more so than out of any fear of Communism, weren't widely known. And Johnson was kind of a dick, and J. Edgar Hoover was worse. But still, there was an unusually good string of presidents from FDR to Nixon's first term.

The Watergate era has nothing on what we're going through now. Anyone who isn't a cynic is an idiot, and now the main goal is to find out which kind of cynicism is most appropriate.

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Faith does not make one an idiot.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Having faith that America can recover from Trump might make one an idiot, based on the observation that a significant segment of the population shows no inclination to even try.

17. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

My concern is, how can a man with a knowledge of how to make money in his field, where he is pretty good where he silence people with bribes and continue to be even voted for?

There are some really weird things going on the the US elections, A rich dude with an abysmal TV show, where you could see him already, at his worst?

At least Ronald Reagan was a star in B-movies, and he turned out to be alright, at least a good diplomat.

If anyone have the money, they can buy into being a President of America! There should be some by-laws against that. Not just being a movie-star or a rich guy.

Sad! :(

18. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

There was something of a reaction to curtail the powers of the imperial presidency and of some agencies. Carter did not had an easy time with congress, did he? And there was the Church commission, etc. Any chance of that happening again?

19. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

This seems like as good a place as any.
    One of the swamp monsters had a mild heart attack.(The one who said that Trudeau stabbed Trump in the back) I was not aware that he possessed one.
    Unfortunately; He is expected to make a full recovery.:sad:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44447715

20. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

Kudlow's one of the few people I like... somewhat

now that I said that I'm trying to think of anyone else I like...somewhat

Nobody's coming to mind ;)