1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: The Sword of Islam' started by The Turk, Apr 3, 2011.

1. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

The Sword of Islam (PLUS) EDITION

About​

The idea for this mod started with me changing a few details in Embyrodead's mod The Sword of Islam. So due to popular demand I've decided to compile all the changes I've made in the past (and will make in the future), and create a separate mod for all of you to try out without interfering with your regular Sword of Islam games. This mod will constantly be up to date with Embryodead's latest version of Sword of Islam. My future aspirations for this mod, is to include an advanced start to SoI around 1300 CE.​

Future Ideas:
    Spoiler :

- The Rus' and later the Kievans constantly attacked and raided Byzantium and several times even had Constantinople under siege. This wikipedia article shows each time they attacked and the nature of their attack (why and with how many men/ships):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'-Byzantine_Wars
    So basically if the Byzantines don't pay gold, viking raiding boats spawn in the all too peaceful Black Sea (loaded with troops, like in RFCE)

- An event representing the Sikh religion, which was established in 1606 (the death of the 5th Guru, and became a political entity), but goes back to the 15th century with the first Guru teacher (Guru Nanak, I'm pretty sure), (which was fairly militant, as far as I know), there would be some sort of event, where you can either support the new and upcoming religion OR you can suppress it, and have barb troops spawn, but if you support it you have minus piety, but no barb spawn, and perhaps some other bonus as well.

- I was also thinking, that you could have something relating to the Jains of India, who have been established for hundreds of years before the game even starts in 750 AD. Perhaps a similar event to above, but because Jain's are STRICTLY non-violent we could instead have a lose of money, especially considering that they were GREAT Jewelers (and still are, as they are very rich), and perhaps they can build a workshop in your city, or a jeweler building (which would be cool to include...) or +1 gold to your markets.

- Two other events concerning the Syrian Alawites and Druze.

- Add late game competition to the Portuguese Trading company, by introducing the British East India Company to compete with the Portuguese for trading partners and land. Might just implement them as a series of events for Indian Ocean civilizations, representing the Battle of Ormuz of 1606 (Major British victory against the Portuguese navy)

- Add new leaderheads for different civilizations.

- Add the island of Diu (major trading port) off the coast of Gujarat, with spawning Portuguese city.

Changes:
    v.01 (R)
    Spoiler :
    - Sunni Islam spreads instantly to al-Qahira upon Fatimid spawn (DONE)
    - Updated the Dawn of Man texts for KoJ, Ottomans, PoA and the Byzantines (DONE)
    - Added an extra archer to KoJ and PoA, while removing one lancer, this will help them be more defensive (DONE)
    - Removed the walls and spearman from Adrainoupolis and instead added an Archer (DONE)
    - Added walls to Damascus from the start (DONE)
    - Added an independent Aleppo (Halep) (DONE)
    - Added al-Quds and the Jewish Holy City (For eye candy value) (DONE)
    - Added wheat near Damascus, and a few spawnable resources in 1096 around Antioch, Edessa and Aleppo (DONE)
    - Changed the name of the "Byzantine Empire" to the "Roman Empire", explanation of doing so in the Civilopedia (DONE)
    - Only Hindu state religion civilizations can research 'Caste System' tech(DONE)
    - Reduced the chance of Edessa being razed before the Crusader spawns (DONE)

.02 (R)
    Spoiler :

- Decayed two wheat and one honey from Northern Syria and Jazaria in 1400, to represent declining populations after Timur's conquest (DONE)
    - Added a new hint (DONE)
    - Add the Western Wall for a Jewish Holy Shrine to al-Quds (ON HIATUS)
    - Change the main menu background (DONE)
    - Change the scoring list of leaders (DONE)
    - Add new icon for mod (DONE)
    - Remove one Sunni Missionary from Ayybuid and Mamluk spawns (DONE)
    - Added a spawnable castle in Damascus if controlled by independents or barbarians by 1096 (DONE)
    - Added provinces and civilizations that would be more affected by the Black Plauge (DONE)
    - Buddhism spreads from 1256-1295 representing its support from the Ilkhanate (only in barb cities), after 1295 Buddhism dies down (DONE)
    - Added a spawnable walls in Aleppo if controlled by independents or barbarians by 1096 (DONE)
    - Added a new soundtrack (DONE)

.03 (WIP) -- Split into two parts: v.031 [RELEASED] and v.032 (WIP)
    Spoiler :
    - Spawn al-Qatta'i with ibn Tulun Barb GG, to beef up Tulunid barbarian pressure
    - Add Muslim/Indian burial mounds (Bonus not yet decided)
    - Increase the spread of Shi'ite Islam in Iraq
    - Have Catholicism spread to Samarra (Head of the Nestorian Church)
    - Beef up Samarra's production, (+1 stone nearby) (DONE)
    - Add Simjurid invasion of Afghanistan
    - Add Tocharistan as Ghaznavid border province (DONE)
    - New Ghaznavid Dawn of Man text
    - Zengids vassals of the Seljuks (to be tested/ DONE)
    - Have Aleppo respawn before Crusades if razed (DONE)
    - Have Kashgar pre-placed at the beginning (750 AD start) (DONE)
    - Have Sunni Islam spread to Central Asia in the 10th century
    - Add Firouz as Crusader Great Spy
    - New Georgian unit textures (Great Merchant, Great General, Bombard & more)
    - New "True Cross" unit (DONE)
    - New Intro movie for the mod (DONE)
    - Add Rhodes as Sultanate of Rum Border Province (DONE)
    - Redirect the Civ4.thm file -- so that you don't need SoI to play SoI (PLUS) Edition (DONE)
    - Fixed the dimensions for the Dawn of Man text screen (DONE)
    - Add Judaism to Rhodes (DONE)
    - Add in extra Byzantine (Alexios I) and Portuguese (Martim Afonso de Sousa) Leader Head's

.04 (FUTURE)
    Spoiler :
    - New LH's for some civilizations (Portugal, Roman Empire, Abbasids etc.)
    - Add in the Sikh Golden Temple
    - Add in spawning Amritsar in 1574
    - Have Sindh respawn at Thatta in 1339 as the Sunni Summa Dynasty
    - Remove Syria from Kingdom of Jerusalem Border Province
    - Restrict "Caste System" Technology to Hindu and Muslim Indian Civilizations
    - Add a Druze event and mercenary type
    - Add a Maronite event and Archer mercenary type
    - Add Greece and more of North Africa to the map (Resources, new cities, new barbarian spawns etc.)
    - Reduce the strength of the Zengids
    - Have Spearmen and Archers get production bonus with a barracks
    R: Released
    IP: Work In Progress

DOWNLOADS

Sourceforge Download
    Spoiler :
    Version 0.31: HERE
    Version 0.2: HERE
    Version 0.1: HERE

Instructions:
    1) Unzip the file
    2) Place the "Sword of Islam(Plus) Edition" folder in your Civilization4/Beyond the Sword/Mods
    3) Delete any older versions, when downloading a new version

SVN Repository -- Currently Not in Operation

Nightly builds of the mod can be found on sourceforge. Use the following address to do SVN Checkout: (N/A)

Instructions:
    You can get TortoiseSVN here. Note: Create an empty "Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition" folder and then click SVN Checkout; after that just click "SVN Update" and you will get the latest version of the mod. Remember to delete your old Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition folder first!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition Promotion Video

Pictures
    Spoiler :

New Background
    Spoiler :

Reworked Northern Levant
    Spoiler :

New Hint
    Spoiler :

"Roman" Empire
    Spoiler :

Reworked Dawn of Man Screens (KoJ Example)
    Spoiler :

**v.03 Special Feature**
    Spoiler :

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments feel free to ask! :)

I hope you enjoy! :goodjob:

For extra news on the mod, you can check out my sourceforge page here.
    Feel free to contact me here: the.turkciv@gmail.com

Credits:
    The Turk - Creater of The Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition
    Embryodead - Founder of The Sword of Islam
    Baldyr - Python Help
    Leoreth - Technical Help
    Cool3a2 - Background Help
    J.Pride - Ideas and Suggestions
    The_J - Modding Help
    The_Capo - The "True Cross" unit & future Harun al-Rashid LH
    Bakuel - Awesome Unique Units

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Did you take into account that a Jewish holy city in Jerusalem makes the Abbasid UHV a lot easier?

3. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Yes I have, and I'm currently working on excluding the Jewish Holy City as one of their options. I'm guessing I just need to change it in the victory.py file.

4. SteveTR

SteveTR Chieftain

Nice. I haven´t played SoI in a while, so this might be a good reason to play it :D

5. J. pride

J. pride Chieftain

Great Work Turk;
    two suggestions:
    1) You should try doing a 1150-1200 ce start as two of the most important invasions were happening:
    -Mongol Conquest
    -Crusader Kingdoms
    A start along those lines wud be epic as it wud allow people to reconquer from the Christians or stop the devastation that avaited them from the Mongols
    2) I think u should change the hosting site

6. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Good point, anyway that will come later, so we have time to talk about it.

Also do you know of any other hosting websites? I really hate the one I'm currently using, but if anybody knows of a better (free) one, please do tell!

7. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

The Jewish Holy City does not count, as it says you need three shrines, which Judaism does not have (yet), as I would like to later add the Western Wall for them.

So for the time being your still going to have to go and conquer Mecca as well ;)

8. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

9. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Sure I'd love to. I could use the texture for a much needed Ummayad Mosque in Damascus, which is currently not represented, although it being the 4th holiest site in Islam. Could you send me the files necessary to my e-mail:
    the.turkciv@gmail.com

10. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

You know it's already in SoI since Dec 2010 or so? ;)

The Turk: hosting on sourceforge is very handy if you can learn to use it (with SVN); if the mod is a branch of SoI it'd give you the added benefit of easy updates/merging.

EDIT: I can probably add a branch & write access on the main account, but I'll have time to work on it after Apr 12 or so, if you're interested.

11. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

While I love this mod, the units, the wonders, etc. I wish there was a feature to turn off the revolts or civ spawns so it could be similar to other mods. I also get frustrated with the stability rating since I like to create huge empires.

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

SoI at least has the benefit of the Roman Emperor title, which allows you to do exactly this. So if you like huge empires, play as Byzantines/Ottomans/Rûm or anyone else who's in easy reach of Constantinople.

13. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Thanks Edead! :)

I've already made a sourceforge account, my username is: theturkciv1
    My svn account is: https://theswordofislam.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/theswordofislam
    Its not up yet, as files are still be loaded, so no one use it yet!

And yes, any assistance from you would be great! I'm not sure what you mean by a branch, but anything to help me assimilate your latest patches in SoI would be a great boost for me, because currently I have to continually update manually, which is annoying!

PS. Which file do I change to change the people on the scoring list? Because as you know I would like to add Empress Irene as second to last ;)
    Thanks again! :D

14. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Sorry but this is pushing it... you named the project "theswordofislam" which is SoI's name. I'd like you to change it because you're essentially using my mod's name.

I really don't mind spin-offs but just adding a PLUS was annoying, and this is way too much. Why not come up with an original name?

Also, if you created a seperate account, then it cannot be a branch of SoI.

15. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

I'm ok with redoing it, but tell me, how would I branch it to your mod, so I essentially could make my minor changes but keep up with the general developments in the vanilla SoI version?
    Also sourceforge came up with the name, not me. I thought you wouldn't mind since its just the URL...

16. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Just the URL means that someone searching for the sword of islam will land on your mod-mod's page, be it sourceforge or google. Use soi-plus or whatever, the name is unoriginal enough...

There is no way you can make your changes and keep up with the main version without work. You have to merge it anyway, it's just easier with a merging utility such as WinMerge or SVN. It's probably a bit easier with SVN as it will inform you of updates, but you still have to do the merging. Like I said, I don't know how to setup branches which is why I recommended that you try to figure it out in some SVN / Sourceforge manual. EDIT: Creating a separate project is actually a bad idea in your case, because you'll have your own SVN completely off from the main one, and you'll have to update it manually following the other SVN... the easiest solution is either find out how to create a branch, or just don't do it and keep your development version, while updating it from the main SVN. Confusing I know...

17. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

mmm.... as you know I'm still ifffy with the whole SVN/Sourceforge utility. Also I was wondering, how do I upload a new version? And how do I change the people scoring list, what file do I change?

thanks!

PS. The reason I chose such an "unoriginal" name, was because this mod-mod-mod does not venture too far away from its origins, I'm just changing around a few files, and the such. Nothing big... yet... (at least)

18. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

SVN Commit (just below SVN Update) is for uploading new version, if you really have to. I'm just trying to say it's a bad idea, as you'll be doing double work, for no gain.

Wha--?

19. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

I've already done the merging on winmerge, it isn't that bad. Anyway, my long term goal is to include:
    a. more events
    b. an advanced start
    But first I want to create a base.

Look below? I would like to change some of the names on the score ranking page, like I would like to include Sher Suri and Empress Irene.

20. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Those names are in XML/Text/CIV4GameText_MEM_Misc.xml . Sher Shah Suri is already there btw.