The Sword of Islam: RFC Medieval Middle East

Byzantine city names for cities in Edessa (Harran and Aydaman) and Lesser Armenia (Aydaman, Kaysun, Cabakcur - also for Armenia) are still missing.

Added Hellenoupolis for Harran.

As far as I can tell, Perre is the Greek name for Adiyaman, and since crusaders also used it, I assume it's fine for Byzantine Greek as well. Added Hısn-i Mansur as Arabic name though.

Is there a reason this isn't available for Civ 5? Let me guess. because civ 5 is crap?

Civ 5 doesn't have the modding capabilities of Civ 4, nothing like this mod (and many others) is possible in Civ 5 at this time.

Can i play this mod with the epic/marathon Mod?

No, this is a standalone mod, but it already includes Epic speed in addition to Normal.

What other mods can you advice me. Heard the dawn of Civ is also super

a bit off-topic, but apart from RFC family mods (see other RFC subforums) my personal favorites were Dune Wars and Planetfall (both are sci-fi though).

Could Spies start out with Infiltration I? Due to the Superspies mod spies can't use enemy roads.

Can there be a special building that let Spies start out with experience points?

The second solution also solves the first issue (original SuperSpies mod has Intelligence Agency add +2 XP so you can buy Infiltration I). I'm not sure if I want to add another building - there's quite a lot already. Brothel is kind of empty now and would be ideal, though I have issues with the name. Alternatevily Inn +1 and Brothel +1 (one requires the other anyway). That would be it.

Can you alter the diplomacy screen so that I can order vassals to attack rebel cities? If you're not a war with an actual civ this option disappears.

Nope.

Civs take into account war with rebel cities when deciding to voluntary vassal. Can you eliminate this factor?

Yes, done.

Why would a civ say I've grown too powerful for them if I ask them to vassalize? If I do vassalize the civ through World Builder it doesn't give me a victory.

I'm not sure what you mean. "too powerful..." happens when the vassal is too powerful compared to the master (the vassal has to be much less powerful, I think <50%).

Why does Blitz require a tech in the first place? What about changing the prerequisite to Combat IV?

I don't see anything wrong here tbh.

How come Mongols don't add to Great General XP?

Fixed, thanks.

You lose 20 or 30 faith points for razing a city with your state religion. Why so much?

Razing cities with a religion is a pain because you get the -1 diplo penalty. Can this disappear after a while? That and the "You didn't help us in war/didn't convert to our religion/civic" that they still remember after 100 years and through a collapse and respawn. Or maybe just eliminate it all together? I understand if you build a prosecutor to kick out the religion, but what if you want to raze the city because it sucks?

It's a good penalty for murdering hundreds of thousands of people. As for the diplo penalty, AI has a memory which fades over time (randomly).

How come Influence Driven War changes city population to your culture?

It just works this way.

Due to the new Religious Victory I was thinking about making a Great Saint a super missionary. But spreading your religion to 10 cities is too powerful IMO while 5 is rather small.

Yeah, I'll think about it. It could spread religion to all cities in the province and in a few cities in surrounding provinces, including cities that you do not own.

Around 1270 the fish by Gaza disappears. Why?

A lot of resources appear and disappear at various points in time to make certain areas better/worse. In this case it reflects the fact that many Levantine cities lost its importance after Crusaders & Mongols (Gaza itself was razed).

What did you change to Aristocracy, Market Economy, Merchant Capitalism, State Monopoly and Religious Freedom?

I'd rather not go through it and list every detail tbh.

Is there some way you could keep the power from the old Topkapi Palace and give it to a new wonder? It was a cool wonder that unfortunately never got used because it was so far in the tech tree.

I'm not really adding anything new unless there's a good art & idea available.

Does it also mean there's no relationship between how stable the human player is and the chance of respawn? Because clearly that's not what I remember playing Ajmer the first time (I was solid, owning all of former Ghorid land and Delhi itself, and the Delhi Sultanate never spawned). Now, I eliminated all other religions in India then, but now I have both Shia and Sunni in all these former Ghorid lands...does that matter?

Your analysis is good. There's no relation to human player's stability in this script, but all this script does is the killing, not the spawning, which is done by the 'resurrection' function, which takes city owner's stability into account.

What about trading stuff for cities or giving/receiving cities from vassals? Maybe giving cities to vassals would be a bad idea, but I think you should be able to take away cities from vassals who decide to wreck their stability by conquering cities in the middle of nowhere.

This kind of stuff hasn't been made for Civ4 and most likely won't even be made, unless someone feels like rewriting much of the diplomacy table. Civ4 diplomacy is too simple for this.

I also found a bug. If your unit is standing on a road in your territory and you attack an enemy unit in a vassal's territory also standing on a road, it counts as 1 movement instead of 1/3 movement.

More of a Civ4 bug that I won't be able to fix either.

Why do the Timurids flip Eastern Khorosan if it's not a core province?

AI civs that are preceeded by barbarian invasions can flip extra barbarian/minor cities outside of their core.

Are Zengids, Malwa, Portugal and others expected to be playable some day? Played some of them, Portugal and Malwa were nice challenges though no historical conditions at the moment. ;)

I've got no such plans. Was thinking of Malwa but see below.

- Malwa and Bahmani aren't scripted but they're rather minor, never really expanded or collapsed quickly.
- Zengids only have some units generated to attack the Crusaders, but they are really shortlived.
- Apart from all the invasions, Portugal reguarly receives carracks and other ships in random places, as well as extra units in Goa/capital; they are also immune to collapse and immortal.

Is there a way to make it so that the Abbasids are playing defensively constantly? I'm sick and tired of stacks of Abbasid troops invading the Crusader lands! Can we make them so that they stop producing too many offensive troops, but more defensive ones, and limit them to Mesopotamia?

They are already set to be defensive, as per Leader XML. Feel free to modify it further.

Out of pure curiosity, why did you name Tocharistan as "Bactria" in python? You don't even want to know how many exception I got for play rTocharistan everywhere! :p

Because I originally used "Bactria", which is the usual, historical name for the region.

I suggest that you review the citynamemanager.py for the Latin and Turkish names for "Tripoli" (in Lebanon), as there seems to be some sort of error, or the computer might be getting confused. As I continue to see Tripoli becoming Tortosa, but also it says that Tartus (in Cilician Armenia), = Tortosa, so there is a bit of a discrepancy there, which you might want to look into. For my mod I've decided, I will just have Tripoli become Tortosa for the Crusaders, but I'm guessing you can't have two cities with the same name, ya?

There is no discrepancy, you mixed up two (three?) cities in different locations. Tartus/Tortosa is (20,47), 1 tile North of Tarabulus/Trablussam/Tripoli, which is (20,46). Both are in Lebanon, and one is sometimes founded instead of the other. Tarsus is the city in Cilicia.

Out of curiosity, why did you add the Sindhi's to spawn in 1058? And why are they Shi'ite? I've being doing some research and it seems as if they should spawn as Sunni's and earlier, then again my source is wikipedia, so perhaps you have a better source... :mischief:

There is no good source for the history of medieval Pakistan really, and wikipedia is terrible as well, with conflicting data in different articles, sometimes even the same ones. I used it as well, and at that time it had 1058 as the date of Soomro's independence, and now it says 1026, and then 1011 in the same article, few paragraphs later. I can change it to 1011, it'll make a bit more sense with Mahmud's invasion.

There were Ismaili and Qarmatian Shi'ites in Multan & Sindh, esp. before Mahmud, although again, it depends on who edited the article (Bahmanis were first called Shia dynasty then someone edited it and changed them to Sunni, saying Shias only started to spread with Safavid Iran). Note that Sunni Islam automatically spreads to Sindh, and also Sindh respawns as Sunni Sultanate, to reflect that Sunni Islam dominated later. This happens most of the time for me, I mean, in 14th+ I usually see them as Sunni. Also, now I added another Sunni spread event 1020 since the start has moved to 1011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_conquest_of_South_Asia#Communities_in_the_North-West (Ismailis)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soomro (Qarmatians)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soomra_Dynasty (1026/1011)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samma_Dynasty (Soomra as vassals of Shia Fatimids)

Why'd you choose 1190 as the date for the KoJ to control Syria, Palestine, and Transjordan?

Like with many UHVs, no reason other than a sensible point for UHV check.

What about the Chancery as the UB for KoJ?

It's explained in the civilopedia.

As for the PoA Open Borders UHV I mentioned changing it because I thought that you had to switch to Islam in order to fufill it. If that's not true then never mind.

You don't have to switch, it was just a "hack" to make it easier.

Why did you decide to name the Sunni shrine Kaaba instead of Masjid al-Haram?

Because the building art is Kaaba, not Masjid al-Haram.

Why can the Prophet's Mosque only be used by Sunni civs? Shia Muslims also consider it holy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiest_sites_in_Islam_(Shia) And why the English version of the name?

Sunni only - because Medina was the original capital of the (Sunni) Caliphate and there never was unified Shia caliphate, as Shias were more like local rebels or outlanders. Tradition/legitimacy thing.

Name - same reason I used House of Wisdom and Spiral Minaret etc.

Would it be possible to have a notification every time the mercenary pool is replenished? It would appear in the white text that shows up at the beginning of a new turn. That way I don't have to keep checking the mercenary screen every turn.

It's possible, but it would be rather annoying considering it happens every 4-5 turns or so. I might add it as an XML option.

The Sikandar Shah Suri and Hemu invasions of India are rather weak and are easily taken care of by a couple Armored Elephants. I don't know about the Sikandar invasion but Hemu outnumbered Akbar when they fought. Could you give them some more units?

I don't want to because the AI isn't as good at handling them as the human. I can add more units in case Mughals are human-controlled.

What do you think of changing the Portuguese leader to Afonso de Albuquerque? From what I've read it appears that he, not Manuel I, lead the Portuguese colonies along the Indian Ocean. You could use this http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16925 as the leaderhead since it looks like the painting of him on his wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_de_Albuquerque

I'll think about it. At least the LH isn't big.

The version currently up on SVN (Rev. 124) is most likely what I'll release as 0.3.4 tomorrow or on Monday. Here are the patch notes:
Spoiler :

General changes
- Added Religious Victory (State Religion + Holy City + 65-80% Influence depending on Religion)
- Added a new Great Saint ability: spread state religion to up to 6 cities, including those belonging to unknown, hostile or distant civs
- Added the option to select target religion during Religious Persecution
- Added new hints & game concepts
- Added small Piety bonus for razing infidel cities
- Changed Inn and Brothel to provide cumulative +1 XP for all Espionage units
- Changed the way secessions work: some cities will revolt before others depending on the province, unhappiness, culture etc.
- Renamed Toassin Mamluk to Royal Mamluk
- Changed the Sindh's birth date from 1058 to 1011 CE and adjusted their UHVs and modifiers accordingly

Balancing
- Changed the Mongol GP massacre mechanic to randomly kill some settled GPs, rather than all of them
- Changed the tech boost effects of Al-Jazari's Workshop from 25% to 40% of tech cost
- Reduced the cost of some late-game techs
- Changed Courthouses and Temples to provide Stability to the owner, not just the founder
- Moved Topkapi Palace to Administrative Reforms; changed the effect to -40% Expansion Stability Penalty + early Absolutism
- Adjusted Empire, Aristocracy, Market Economy, Merchant Capitalism, State Monopoly and Religious Freedom civics
- Changed the Roman Emperor title: the holder cannot collapse but will lose some if its foreign territory instead
- Changed the Vikramaditya title: all foreign provinces in Hindustan become border provinces
- Adjusted inflation and research rate for Mamluks
- Added Kerman to Seljuk border provinces
- Changed the Pilgrimage to Mecca to a one-per-civ event
- Switched Infiltration I and II; moved -1 Movement Cost bonus to Infiltration III

Bugfixes
- Added a possible fix for the RFC AI gold bug that occasionally made the AI get millions of gold
- Fixed the default autosave behavior
- Fixed the bugged Safavid UHV3
- Fixed the Oman UHV1 incorrectly counting cities that already have Shia Islam
- Fixed the UHV progress tracking display bugs for Oman, Ak Koyunlu and Safavids
- Fixed naval units incorrectly allowing Barrage promotion
- Fixed the mercenary upkeep causing unit strikes before auto adjustment of commerce sliders kicks in
- Fixed the 'Reconquest of the Holy Land' quest not disappearing after one civ completes it
- Fixed the text for 'Grateful Aristocrats' event
- Fixed the problem with the name of Sur in Oman (will be renamed Sour if the player already owns Sur in Syria)
- Added cancellation of holy war call if the Commander of the Faithful dies/collapses
- Disabled tech trading for the first 2 turns after civ birth (exploit fix)

Graphics & sound
- Enlarged the text space in the Dawn of Man popup
- Added some updated city, building and unit art from Realism Invictus
- Added new diplomacy music for Akbar, Prithviraj, Dodo and Bhoja (cybrxkhan)

The second solution also solves the first issue (original SuperSpies mod has Intelligence Agency add +2 XP so you can buy Infiltration I). I'm not sure if I want to add another building - there's quite a lot already. Brothel is kind of empty now and would be ideal, though I have issues with the name. Alternatevily Inn +1 and Brothel +1 (one requires the other anyway). That would be it.

That sounds great. I also agree with the name change since it's more of a training ground for spies. The piety penalty would have to be eliminated as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. "too powerful..." happens when the vassal is too powerful compared to the master (the vassal has to be much less powerful, I think <50%).

When I hover over Vassal State it says "You've grown too powerful for us." From what I can tell this should only come up if I end up winning when they become my vassal. But I used world builder and adding them as a vassal did not put me over the domination land threshold.

I don't see anything wrong here tbh.

Blitz is a useful promotion and I'm not sure why it requires a tech in the first place, let alone one that's near the end of the tech tree so a lot of civs don't get to use it.

It's a good penalty for murdering hundreds of thousands of people. As for the diplo penalty, AI has a memory which fades over time (randomly).

Fair enough.

It just works this way.

Is it realistic? If you conquer a city that wasn't anywhere near your borders it would take time for them to integrate into your culture but thanks to Influence Driven War part of the population magically culturally identifies with your civ.

I'm not really adding anything new unless there's a good art & idea available.

Hopefully somebody will. Using other civs' UU's is a neat idea.

Name - same reason I used House of Wisdom and Spiral Minaret etc.

How come?

- Zengids only have some units generated to attack the Crusaders, but they are really shortlived.
- Apart from all the invasions, Portugal reguarly receives carracks and other ships in random places, as well as extra units in Goa/capital; they are also immune to collapse and immortal.

Zengid UHV could be having to conquer the Levant before the Ayyubids spawn, and then having to defeat Saladin for control of Egypt. They did the former but weren't able to do the latter in real life. Being on such a strict timeline could be a lot of fun.

Portugal is another cool civ. I don't see anything wrong with the human player receiving reinforcements from the homeland but being immune to collapse would have to go if it would be made playable.

It's possible, but it would be rather annoying considering it happens every 4-5 turns or so. I might add it as an XML option.

There's always a couple of notifications at the beginning of the turn so having one more every 5 turns isn't too bad.

I'll think about it. At least the LH isn't big.

Right now it's Joao II who wasn't king when they started creating their Indian Ocean empire.

Is it possible to use spies to cause a city revolt in rebel cities?

Right now Spies can perform Assassin missions and vice versa.

The Kaaba/Prophet's Mosque doesn't provide culture for anyone because you need to conquer the city. This is pretty minor and I don't know if this can be changed or is just a function of the game.

When hovering over the Maintenence part of the city screen the word governing has an extra "en".

I like the Vikramanditya change. Much better IMO.

Could you also prevent a civ from vassalizing when they first spawn until they flip their cities? The Mamluks asked to be my vassal when they only had Cairo but when they flipped the rest of Egypt they said they were fine on their own.

Great to see you back on SOI Embryodead !
About the pilgrimage to mecca event, did you make the inflation fade over time ? Like starting at 100%, then progressively getting lower until a final ~25% ? And/or give a sort of bonus, whether a +2 :) in all cities or 300 :gold: .

Great to see you back on SOI Embryodead !
About the pilgrimage to mecca event, did you make the inflation fade over time ? Like starting at 100%, then progressively getting lower until a final ~25% ? And/or give a sort of bonus, whether a +2 :) in all cities or 300 :gold: .

Pilgrimage to Mecca is a different event from Mansa Musa's pilgrimage. The first one is about piety, the other is about inflation in Egypt. I only fixed the first one.

As for Mansa Musa, I'm not doing progressive inflation as that would rather complicated. Currently the event just uses the built-in event system which provides a one-time inflation change. That, and I really think the event is bearable.

(I've actually followed the Mamluk Domination succession game closely and you guys barely felt it :p )

(I've actually followed the Mamluk Domination succession game closely and you guys barely felt it :p )

That's only because we rock! :band:

Can you please get nerf it for non-Islamic civs that have Cairo (e.g. I don't think Mansa Musa can even get through Cairo with his baggage if the Christians controlled it)?

Can you please get nerf it for non-Islamic civs that have Cairo (e.g. I don't think Mansa Musa can even get through Cairo with his baggage if the Christians controlled it)?

I disagree, Mansa Musa would have stilled passed through a Christian Egypt, to get to Mecca. Its not as if all traffic to Mecca through Egypt would stop, just because the rulers were of a different religion. :crazyeye:

I disagree, Mansa Musa would have stilled passed through a Christian Egypt, to get to Mecca. Its not as if all traffic to Mecca through Egypt would stop, just because the rulers were of a different religion. :crazyeye:

I don't think so. He wouldn't have passed through enemy territory with tons of gold (unless he was suicidal and wanted to be robbed and killed by the infidels).

I don't think so. He wouldn't have passed through enemy territory with tons of gold (unless he was suicidal and wanted to be robbed and killed by the infidels).

I really think your taking this to an extreme. Anyway how often do you see an Egypt that is controlled by a Christian power, and has absolutely no Muslims in it? Just Catholics, since Orthodox Christians wouldn't stop a pilgrim, from continuing his/her journey.

How do you know that the Orthodox Christians won't stop an Islamic pilgrim?

Alt-history here: if the Byzantines weren't so weakened after their wars against the Persians, the Arabs wouldn't have been able to conquer Egypt and the Levant.

When I hover over Vassal State it says "You've grown too powerful for us." From what I can tell this should only come up if I end up winning when they become my vassal. But I used world builder and adding them as a vassal did not put me over the domination land threshold.

No, it's also the correct answer you get when you offer yourself as a vassal to the AI, and you're too powerful for them. The power criterion isn't necessarily the same as when you want to be released, it's probably lower. You don't normally see it since human vassals are disabled in BTS.

Is it realistic? If you conquer a city that wasn't anywhere near your borders it would take time for them to integrate into your culture but thanks to Influence Driven War part of the population magically culturally identifies with your civ.

That's what IDW is about really, and it's only a portion of culture. Remember that culture is rather silly concept, especially in a mod like this one, where the actual culture of the natives is not represented. It's more like the populace accepting the new ruler because he is capable. Exactly such things happened many times e.g. in Syria, Egypt or Persia, where people were ruled by different foreigners all the time.

Also, spies can do the same, in BTS and elsewhere.

How come?

No reason to use Arabic name when there's a well known English one. If I renamed the Prophet's Mosque to Al-Masjid al-Nabawi, I should follow with Bait al-Hikma instead of House of Wisdom and Malwiya Minaret instead of Spiral Minaret and so on.

Zengid UHV could be having to conquer the Levant before the Ayyubids spawn, and then having to defeat Saladin for control of Egypt. They did the former but weren't able to do the latter in real life. Being on such a strict timeline could be a lot of fun.

I might think about this one but in a rather distant future.

Is it possible to use spies to cause a city revolt in rebel cities?

No and it won't change since rebels are four different, hidden minor civs that you can't invest EP in. It's not like they're a challenge anyway.

Right now Spies can perform Assassin missions and vice versa.

That's correct. Assassins are just Spies with free promotions, e.g. the one that increases the success rate of Assassinations (which are normally much lower than success rates of other missions).

The Kaaba/Prophet's Mosque doesn't provide culture for anyone because you need to conquer the city. This is pretty minor and I don't know if this can be changed or is just a function of the game.

I didn't even think of this - but I think they should provide culture so it's fixed now.

Could you also prevent a civ from vassalizing when they first spawn until they flip their cities? The Mamluks asked to be my vassal when they only had Cairo but when they flipped the rest of Egypt they said they were fine on their own.

Yes, done.

IMHO for ai , non islamic civs, the penalty should be nerfed, allways happens that ai conquers a far away city, and would be odd that gets that penalty, only for that.

A question: ¿the event just triggers if you control cairo?, because you should get the event if you controll alexandria, domyat, etc.

@ Edead, grat changes, i will play again! , but just a question , ¿what is the idea of absolutism?, i thought it was for big civs, but empire is better.

I really think your taking this to an extreme. Anyway how often do you see an Egypt that is controlled by a Christian power, and has absolutely no Muslims in it? Just Catholics, since Orthodox Christians wouldn't stop a pilgrim, from continuing his/her journey.

I've convinced the Fatimids to be catholic a couple of times when playing as Jerusalem. Speaking of which, has anyone won UHV with Jerusalem when the Fatimids have collapsed? The difference in difficulty with and without them alive feels huge.

Top Bottom