- Feb 7, 2010
In the dark early hours of 4 August 1989, the forces of East and West collide in the opening moves of the Third World War. This animated board game places you on the front lines and at the head of the conflict: from the tank commander's hatch to the Marshal's map, the pilot's cockpit to the General's bunker, and the sailor's station to the Admiral's information center. You must decide how to move your mechanized forces, air squadrons, and naval vessels in a titanic struggle for the fate of Europe. As the leader of one of 31 nations, you must be a prudent economist, a savvy diplomat, and an aggressive battlefield commander. The field of battle has never been so deadly, covered with tanks and missiles, cluster bombs and thermobaric explosives, nerve agents and mines.
Choose your side: NATO, Warsaw Pact, or neutral. Take control of your land, naval, and air forces to foil enemy advances and launch your own attacks. Command your economy to produce new forces and progress through the technology tree to unlock new options for negotiation, warfare, and expansion. Will you use your skills as a soldier and diplomat to secure a military or political victory? Or will the conflict lead you to defeat, and send the world teetering to the brink of nuclear armeggedon?
Table of Contents:
1. Introduction, Installation, and Credits
2. The Story of the Third World War
3. Theaters of War
4. Conditions for Victory
5. Nations of the 1989 Conflict
6. The Technology Tree
7. Reports from the Front
9. CXE Flintlock Patch
10. 1989 Multiplayer
How to download, install, and play The Third World War 1989:
1) Make sure you have Civilization III Conquests with the version 1.21 patch or Civilization III Complete installed on your computer. The Steam or GOG versions will work, and the disc will work without CXE.
2) Place the 1989 folder and 1989.biq in the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios folder. Make sure that inside the 1989 you see the Art, Text, etc. folders and not another 1989 folder.
3) Make sure there are no barbarians. Barbarian units may affect the AI opponent's playstyle, making its play more erratic. Unfortunately, Civ III does not follow the 'No Barbarians' setting in the .biq, but instead follows the setting in the Conquests.ini text file.
To make sure you have no barbarians, do ONE of the following:
a) Open the conquests.ini file located in your main Civilization III\Conquests folder. Set BarbarianActivity=-1 and ActualBarbarianActivity=-1 and then save. Proceed down to Step 4.
b) Start Civ III normally and choose the 'New Game' option. Set up the game any way you like, but make sure you set Barbarian Activity to 'No Barbarians'. Start the game, and then exit Civ III. The game will record your preference in conquests.ini file. Now you can proceed to Step 4.
4) The scenario as uploaded is designed for the Steam version of the game. If you are playing a non-Steam version of Civilization III, such as GOG or disc, you must also change the labels.txt file located in the 1989/Text folder. Inside the Text folder, you will see a file named Labels and a file named labels-Non_Steam. Simply rename, delete, or move the original labels file, and rename the labels-Non_Steam to Labels.
5) The scenario has been set up to take advantage of CXE, known as the Flintlock patch. CXE is not, however, necessary to play the scenario. Please do one of the following to start the game to ensure the no raze patch is running.
a) If you are NOT using CXE, take the Civ3Conquests NO RAZE.exe out of the 1989\Conquests No Raze EXE folder, and transfer it to the Civilization III\Conquests folder. The NO Raze EXE starts up your Civ game normally, except that it prevents the computer AI from burning down captured cities. This will preserve the integrity of the map.
b) If you ARE using CXE, please follow the normal procedures for starting CIV 3 with the CXE patch. A CXE config file is located in the scenario folder with the recommended setting already included. These settings were chosen based up the ideal capabilities of the game. Be advised that if you alter them, your gameplay experience will vary. CXE includes the no-raze patch so the NO RAZE.exe will not be necessary. For more information on CXE, please visit Flintlock's download at https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/c3x.28759/
You are now ready to play. Use the Civ3Conquests NO RAZE.exe or Civ3Conquests with CXE to launch Civ III, and choose the 1989 scenario from the Civ-Content option on the Main Menu. Good luck!
Map Graphics: Ares de Borg Terrain Set, Balthasar, Goldfool
PCX Graphics: Balthasar, Bathyskaff, Etain, Goldfool, Kyriakos, Lionic, Pounder, Samez, Vuldacon
Unit Graphics: Ares de Borg, Balou, Bjornlo, Delta_Strife, Gary Childress, gwendoline, Navy Dawg, Vinegar Joe, Wyrmshadow
Scenario Development: Ares de Borg, Balthasar, Bengal Tiger, Civinator, Delta_Strife, El Justo, KevinLancaster, Lionic, Montizzle, nick0515, Samez, Smirnoff, VadimBT85, Vuldacon, Wolf 66, Wolfhart, Wolfshade, Wujah
Playtesting: Lionic and Wolfhart