The Third World War 1989

When I try to start the game it comes up with, missing entry in "text\pedialcons.txt" icon-BLDG-partyHQ, I was wondering how to sort this. Using Steam complete version.

Make sure the folder '1989' is inside your scenarios folder, and that there is not a second 1989 folder inside the first.

Hi Tony!

A couple more questions:
- I have noticed that there are two absolutely equal Tu-95 (K and MS) air units. Is it intentional?
- Whiskey class submarine still has a powerful (and lethal) bombardment.
- I have noticed that there is Nanuchka missile ship, but it's not buildable and AFAIK is not present on the map. Something that did not get into final version?

Tupolev and cruise missile designations can be a bit messy.
Correct my if I am wrong but the different Tu-95 K types were designated cruise missile carriers(K-20/AS-3 Kangaroo; K-22/AS-4 Kitchen; K-26/AS-6 Kingfish) and upgraded from old versions of the Tu-95.
The Tu-95 MS 16 and Tu-95 MS-6 were improved versions of the Tu-142M (which was a naval/ASW version of the basic Tu-95) with cruise missile capacity (K15/AS-16Kickback; K15/AS15Kent).

The various Bear units are a hold-over from the early design of the game. Samez, I think your assessment is spot on in terms of their function. Since there is little way to differentiate the types in game, and since they were mixed at the regimental level, there was little point in having them different. I'm not sure about the Whiskey subs; it's probably an error.

Early on I looked at having small missile craft but held off for several reasons, including lack of models, difficulties in accurately represented them in game, and the risk of small neutrals encountering the sub bug. Ultimately, the struggle for space and speed left the missile boats outside the scope of the game, but I had left them in the Biq just in case. MadGad actually got me a few great models of some Russian missile boats but I have not had a chance to make units from them yet.

Dear Anthony Boscia - thank you for this amazing scenario. Encountered a problem: I have Civ3 complete version purchased online. I cant start the game with Civ3 NoRaze.exe - it asks for the CD. How do I avoid that?

I do not have the online version of the game and am not able to test this. This is unusual because the NoRaze.exe does not ask for the CD when you are playing the disk version. Is anyone else familiar with this issue or come across it before? We will have to try to find a solution, and then I can post that in the game introduction.

Lionic, it appears I missed your DANA question but hopefully it's been solved. The movement should be correct in the latest version.

EDIT: I added a clean biq for anyone that needs it and doesn't want to download the whole file again. Make sure you do not make any changes and do not under any circumstances save in the editor. This will ruin the magic of the Naval Power strategy for artillery units and render them useless for the AI. If you want to play around in the biq, make a copy first!

Dear Anthony Boscia - thank you for this amazing scenario. Encountered a problem: I have Civ3 complete version purchased online. I cant start the game with Civ3 NoRaze.exe - it asks for the CD. How do I avoid that?

I am not sure if this can help but have you put Civ3 NoRaze.exe in the same folder where original exe file is placed?
In case you haven't done that, make sure you do not overwrite original exe file.

Lionic, it appears I missed your DANA question but hopefully it's been solved. The movement should be correct in the latest version.

EDIT: I added a clean biq for anyone that needs it and doesn't want to download the whole file again. Make sure you do not make any changes and do not under any circumstances save in the editor. This will ruin the magic of the Naval Power strategy for artillery units and render them useless for the AI.

That was the question actually (some artillery units had no strategy, but then I realized that it's the trick of Naval Power).

BTW I don't recognize the soldier on your avatar.

Hi Anthony,

I started playing this scenario. I can barely imagine the number of hours put on getting all together. Kudos to you and all the people that helped making this.

I'm using the Steam version of C3C, unfortunately the provided .exe for the no-raze doesn't work.

I am also reporting, I think a small problem. See the attached screen capture.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 158
Thanks, Huascar. The two MTLB-lg and -sm files are still in the unit folder (1989/Art/Units/BG-MTLB) and have to be transferred to the civilopedia folder (1989\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units). I'll have to make an update for this.

I don't have a solution for the exe file at present. I can't test it without having the Steam version installed, and I still use the discs. I would just say to make sure the NO-Raze.exe is in Conquests folder right alongside the regular Civ3Conquests.exe.

Thanks, Huascar. The two MTLB-lg and -sm files are still in the unit folder (1989/Art/Units/BG-MTLB) and have to be transferred to the civilopedia folder (1989\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units). I'll have to make an update for this.
Thank you. The files were just fine.

Right now I'm having a blast playing as the Canadians (albeit at a lower difficulty level). And I love the C-130 and its long range airlift capabilities. Some of the units available to the Canadians show in the description to be light airlift-able but they aren't. Examples I could find so far: NATO AH-64A Attack Helo; M101 Howitzer Brigade.
Is it because the unit is non-US, but the description is for the US, and these are capable of airlift?

I don't have a solution for the exe file at present. I can't test it without having the Steam version installed, and I still use the discs. I would just say to make sure the NO-Raze.exe is in Conquests folder right alongside the regular Civ3Conquests.exe.

At the moment I'm playing with the regular C3C from steam. I suppose if the no-raze.exe is the same for across platforms. I tried TTWW 1989 with other no-raze.exes from other mods and the game just crashed. Maybe somebody knows about a patched version of C3C-steam with the no-raze option activated.

It's sad how the AI just raze some historical cities. My European buddies would be upset their hometowns. But I also noticed that in several places, where I believe cities used to be, I got a very weird terrain icon, sort of a city with two very high skyscrapers, like the WTC prior to 911. Is it intentional or it is just a bug?

Right now I'm having a blast playing as the Canadians (albeit at a lower difficulty level). And I love the C-130 and its long range airlift capabilities. Some of the units available to the Canadians show in the description to be light airlift-able but they aren't. Examples I could find so far: NATO AH-64A Attack Helo; M101 Howitzer Brigade.
Is it because the unit is non-US, but the description is for the US, and these are capable of airlift?

I'll have to check the files when I get some time. Off the top of my head, both should be able to airlift.

At the moment I'm playing with the regular C3C from steam. I suppose if the no-raze.exe is the same for across platforms. I tried TTWW 1989 with other no-raze.exes from other mods and the game just crashed. Maybe somebody knows about a patched version of C3C-steam with the no-raze option activated.

It's sad how the AI just raze some historical cities. My European buddies would be upset their hometowns. But I also noticed that in several places, where I believe cities used to be, I got a very weird terrain icon, sort of a city with two very high skyscrapers, like the WTC prior to 911. Is it intentional or it is just a bug?

Steam screws everything up. I don't know a solution to this, other than making lots of dummy wonders to prevent razing, which is a project I don't have time for right now. God, I hate steam.

The twin towers were a specialized graphic (since I grew up within sight of them) that was based on the city ruins graphic, since with the NO RAZE patch there should be no city ruins. But with the no-raze patch not working, these graphics will now pop up everywhere. Unless there is a way to get the patch to work, the only solution will be adding dummy wonders.

I'll have to check the files when I get some time. Off the top of my head, both should be able to airlift.

I was wondering if for the attack helos, since they do fly, terrain restrictions should not apply to them. Thus a "treat all terrains as roads" and maybe a reduced move to 2 would be more appropriate?

Indeed about the dummy wonders, too much work.

My Canadian conquest of the Soviet Union is going very well. Moscow has fallen and a contiguous area comprising the land all the way to Berlin is now becoming addicted to the Maple Syrup. At times, I had to use airlifted reserve regiments just to secure some road junctions. Talk about traffic jams with your allies. I have to block them from taking my cities!

Then I found a crash. Please see the attached screenshot. What Swedish .ini file do I need to copy and tweak?

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 244
In the Pediaicons.txt file, the entry for SW-Infantry90 needs to be changed to SW-InfantryM90. At the end of Post 1 in this thread I added a patch to correct this and the MTLB. Thanks for spotting these.

In early builds of the game, the Allied helicopters ignored terrain. Unfortunately, the AI would then send all his helicopters deep into enemy territory. Those that survived were wiped out the following turn and basically made the helicopters useless.

My Canadian conquest of the Soviet Union is going very well.

There's something you don't hear everyday. Canada is one of the few civs that I still haven't done a test game with, so I'm glad it's going well.

Are you saying the AI still raze cities?

Before the civ3 mp update for steam versions, all modified .exes worked fine. After the update I did notice them crashing on launch. I tried just now to see as I recall trying to launch a modified .exe at a later time and it worked, and both Antal's patches, and the NoRaze.exe launched just now. I havent tested to see if the AI were razing cities, but in Antal's exe, he made it so a city can use all tiles under its territory, not in the immediate vicinity able to place production on, and that all worked. The only thing is, the labels.txt is set for the disc Conquests, so you have to fix that, unless a mod uses the disc labels.txt.

Top Bottom