The Third World War 1989

Hi Tony! Could you check if Syrian Republic Guards T-72 were placed on the map? I have lost almost all Syrian T-72's in my course of actions, but I am 99% sure that there were all the same quality.
In other news Arabs don't seem to have access to Merchant Marine tech and therefore to Sea Transport. Also they don't know their own Arab Culture.

Nope. If I remember, I couldn't think of a way to represent the Republican Guard without making them immobile units, and eventually settled on the solution of doing nothing. They''ll probably be put in as BMPs instead of T72s.

Arabs will need their own sea transport; this will be figured into the tech tree somehow.

Syria has the Syrian resource. The Arab culture is on the Arabian peninsula so it can be traded.

I meant Arab Culture technology, that in particular is required for State of Palestine Wonder. Could you please check if Arabs get it, or it's my scenario settings got damaged?

Next portion of questions:
- Saudi Tornado ADV can't be built, is it intentional?
- Saudi Badr class is to weak (A/D is 4/4). I thought it's 8 Harpoons should have been a more serious power;
- Industrial Realigment tech that is require to build Mi-25 is not accessible to Arabs;
- Two Mig-29 types (Yugoslav and Warsaw Pact versions) are available to Yugoslavia, but no Attack Helicopters like Hind or Gazelle;

Next portion of questions:
- Saudi Tornado ADV can't be built, is it intentional?
- Saudi Badr class is to weak (A/D is 4/4). I thought it's 8 Harpoons should have been a more serious power;
- Industrial Realigment tech that is require to build Mi-25 is not accessible to Arabs;
- Two Mig-29 types (Yugoslav and Warsaw Pact versions) are available to Yugoslavia, but no Attack Helicopters like Hind or Gazelle;

-Yes, the Saudi Tornado ADV was meant as a flavor unit, and the first squadron was barely operational by the start of the game. Any Tornado production in Britain would surely be used as replacements for UK air defense.
-I had thought about giving the Badr 10/8 or 12/10. Their only real in-game purpose is to help prevent an Iranian sea invasion.
-The Middle Eastern tech tree is most likely going to be re-organized so that every unit falls in era 2. I'm thinking that it will be more like the French tech tree including some trade technologies.
-Yugoslavs should only have their own MiG-29. I landed on no helicopters for them as I'm not sure what their manufacturing capabilities were: whether they could independently manufacture their own rotary wings or had to rely on imports for critical components like avionics and engine parts. Whatcha think?

Badr could have been used to fight USN group in the Persian Gulf. I have lost all of them trying to finish off Tarawa with 1 hp left.
As for Yugoslavia probably a Gazelle could have been included, but armed with Malyutka (Sagger) missiles. TopGun made a Romanian version of Gazelle long ago that might be used for the purpose. It seems Hinds were delievered to Yugoslavia and successors later on in 1990's.

Tony, could you please have a look if international trade is not broken for Arab world? More than 50 turns have passed since the start of the game and no one could sell me (Arab League) any resource.

Also all French warships require NATO War Preparations, meaning French Navy may not be rebuilt. Intentional?

Last edited:
No, the Georges Leygues and Cassard frigates should probably be buildable at some point.

I don't know why the international trade is not working properly for the Arab League. I know that European nations build the Petroleum Trade wonder, as I've seen it happen many times. All it takes is for one nation to build the thing to connect you to the whole network. The Arab resource is also a requirement for the space race, so I don't understand why they are not connecting their trade route to you.

I am working on this game again, currently going through the Middle Eastern unit list one by one. There will now be techs to allow defensive structures, cargo ships, and diplomatic alliances, similar to the French-unique techs.

Feel free to double post in the thread if you want to add questions; I might miss some otherwise.

I don't remember why the Saudis didn't get their AWACS In the scenario. I guess it would make sense to add it in. The French didn't get theirs until the early nineties, so that will stay the same. Thanks.

Hi Tony! Just wanted to ask what city of Arab League was supposed to allow International trade? I've been loosing Kuwait a couple of times, could it be that it contained the building that allowed international trade and it got destroyed in the process?

Hi Tony! Just wanted to ask what city of Arab League was supposed to allow International trade? I've been loosing Kuwait a couple of times, could it be that it contained the building that allowed international trade and it got destroyed in the process?

That has to be it. The OPEC Membership small wonder is what enables 'Air Trade', or International Trade represented by the oil icon. I chose Kuwait City instead of Al Jubayl to make defensing Kuwait more of a priority. Unfortunately, if the city is lost then the wonder is destroyed, and cannot be rebuilt. So this means your game will be crippled, I'm afraid. I can change this to function properly, however, by making OPEC membership a hospital (improvement that allows size 3 cities) so that it cannot be destroyed and will be preserved if you lose and recapture the city.

Whatever. I have achieved my goals even without it, though of course it's a shame that the productivity of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf is not used efficiently. Can OPEC membership be used by other powers if captured if it's a "hospital"?

The new version and all backups have been lost. With time being short, I haven't been keeping a written record of the changes and can't remember the specifics other than the items listed in the thread. No idea yet on when there will be free time to work on it, so the new version will not likely be finished until end of the year. Updates will be posted here as things progress.

Just the biq files were lost, so no graphics or folders were destroyed. I do have a written list of the Middle Eastern changes I was working on, but I do not have a list of the new submarine and surface fleet values (which were working very well) and so that must be redone from scratch.

Hi Tony! Don't know if you are in the mood for more corrections but still:
- Cuba can't train more air units except MiG-29 and Mi-25;
- Carribeans could also train Mi-25, but it's technology is unavailable for them;

Also what is the reason to keep Tanker unit in game?

Yeah, keep 'em coming! Even when I can't correct them immediately, there will be a record here on the site that I can use as a reference.

Cuba will be done last after the Middle Eastern powers. They will probably get MiG-21 and -23 as well.

Funny that you mentioned, the tanker unit was just finally taken out about two days ago. Originally they were going to be pre-placed high value targets (hence the 1000 shield cost) so that Soviet submarines could score some victory points early in the game. The concept really didn't add anything so they were never included, but I usually leave these things in (like the small missile ships) in case I find a solution at a later date.

The T-12 and 2S5 are the last remaining graphics that I would like to find proper models to replace them. The reason I didn't replace the Zis graphic earlier was that I was holding out for a real T-12. So we can keep this in mind until late in the scenario development and make a decision then.

Top Bottom