1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Third World War 1989

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by AnthonyBoscia, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

You're a good man, Lionic. I didn't think I did, but on closer inspection, I sure did. Thank you.

2. chickenx4

chickenx4 Prince

Nice work on that scenario

3. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, man. Hope you enjoy.

4. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

A very detailed and interesting modern WW3 scenario. The orientation of the map gives an interesting perspective to the Atlantic and the German front is suitably monumental. Perhaps the finest element not mirrored in any other work I have encountered in 25 years of Civ gaming is the complex and creative backstory.

Playing as Britain is an interesting challenge that reflects some aspects of historical reality, although perhaps they have been squeezed a little bit. The absence of armoured infantry, whether FV-433 or Warrior based, is slightly out of kilter. Having four cosmetic/machts nichs units in the British orbat such as Warrior, Victory and ceremonial guards when it is already limited emphasises this. Separating out RAF squadrons into single units would also be a good step.

A very good addition to the ranks of fine, detailed scenarios.

5. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks very much Simon. I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

The British Chieftain Armoured brigades are actually the FV-432 mechanized infantry for the UK. The reasons for them being represented by tanks instead of APCs are a) they were called armoured instead of mechanized, and b) at the time I created a Chieftain camo unit and Gwendoline's FV-432 had not yet been created. But perhaps APCs and IFVs can be added to the build queue in the tech tree. As for the air squadrons, they have been combined to equate them to USAF squadrons (24 aircraft) and the artificial Soviet formations (half regiments) so that their combat stats would be on par. With Civ 3's all-or-nothing air combat, I wanted the fighters to be as close as allowable when facing off against one another.

I don't know if you've seen in the thread here, but the next and hopefully final update should be forthcoming, with emphasis on restructuring the Middle Eastern units and reducing naval bombardment.

Samez likes this.
  6. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi Tony! Could you please allow other WP states beside Czechoslovakia build MiG-27? It's not historical, but for now Soviet Union's closest allies have to rely on obsolete Fitters for bombing missions, while Middle Eastern powers could obtain more advanced aircraft? After all WP states operated MiG-23 so I presume upgrade to MiG-27 could be possible if needed.

7. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

No, but I'll do you one better, homie. There really should be a MiG-23BK available for NSWP air forces. I have no idea why I had the MiG-27 for Czechoslovakia. From what I understand, MiG-27 production was already over before 1989, and it was complicated to build, and probably not suited for mass production during a world war.

Now to find a model...

8. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi Tony!

Could you add some more units for Middle East?

- A-4 Skyhawk. Used by Kuwait, maybe available for purchase to Arab States and Iran (Iran planned to purchase some during the war with Iraq);
    - BM-27 Uragan. Used by Syria;

9. Lionic

Lionic King

Also could be nice if Syrian T-62 did not upgrade to T-72, as it seems T-62 is more cost effective.

10. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

The Uragan will probably be added to Syria's build. The unit values for Syrian tanks are going to differ so T-72 will end up being a better deal. I'm not sure about the Skyhawk yet. I don't think there's a model, and I'm not sure what the availability of A-4s were at that time, or whether there would be any interest in picking them up. I'll keep it in mind.

11. Lionic

Lionic King

12. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi Tony! Any news on scenario development?

13. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Hey real fast update. I survived the storm and lost my truck but life goes on, just without internet access for a while. Using this time to finish the scenario update. Will post more when I get some online time.

14. Lionic

Lionic King

Got a couple more testing issues:
    - There are two Kashins named Strogiy on the Black Sea;
    - Whiskey class is still capable of bombarding (though it may be the only way to get some use from this ship);
    - Tu-16 bomber has better bombardment than Tu-22 or Tu-95.

15. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

All three now fixed. Tu-95K needs to be eliminated as well.

16. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Here's an update for those still following this thread. The new (and hopefully final) version of this scenario will be released in December, just three years after its original posting. Lionic has been a great play-tester and provided lots of feedback for improvement. This update won't be as drastic as the last one where the major borders were re-drawn, but will address some peripherals and balance issues. Changes include:

-Altered naval stats with an eye towards reducing the number of ships with bombardment. A number of ships now have greater combat stats (especially submarines) but have lost their bombard ability. Small numbers of ships, particularly modern ones and those slated for shore bombardment, will retain their bombard ability. I'm leaning this way with Worldwide as well, to reduce the player's casualty-free vacation and making him have to slug it out with the AI.
    -Aircraft values are being based on the capability of the aircraft and crew, and no longer on the number of aircraft per squadron. Squadron numbers will still be represented by hit points, but this is to differentiate aircraft from land units, as the whole squadron is not engaging in combat simultaneously. This will be a slight advantage to NATO.
    -The Middle East is getting an overhaul with units, techs, resources, and trade. If you haven't played one of these nations yet, try one out in the new version!
    -Units that were made in the last couple years by Delta Strife, gwendoline, and me are being added into the game.
    -More machts nichts stuff

So clean off your periscopes, boresight your guns, and grab your circular slide rule cause this winter the cold war is gonna get hot!

Link to video.

Link to video.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  17. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Tony, it´s great news, that you are still improving this magnificant scenario! :goodjob:

18. Lionic

Lionic King

Or another melody that became Cold War classics, even though it appeared much later

19. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Bah, nothing beats the original. :p

If this thread is now a propaganda dump, I gotta plug the man in the middle. If there's one thing the GDR got right, it was its patriotic music:

20. Lionic

Lionic King

Oh thanks! I have played my first game of 1989 for GDR. The whole army got blasted apart by enemy air power...