1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Third World War 1989

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by AnthonyBoscia, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Jarovid

Jarovid Prince

Looking forward to new version

2. jimmywfl

jimmywfl Chieftain

When I run no raze, nothing happens. When I try to play it with normal start, it loads, but crashes sometimes and sometimes not

3. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Hey Jimmy, when is your game crashing? The no raze should not have an effect on your starting load. Do you have a screenshot? Maybe we can tackle this issue.

4. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Now posted is the second and last major update since the original release in 2014. As the first update concentrated on the Central European theater, this one is focused on naval forces and small nations. Changes include:

-Reduction in the number of naval ships with the bombard ability and altered naval attack and defense values. This forces more direct action and makes naval combat more risky, as well as reducing the amount of ships and subs that get overrun in cities.
    -Updated minor nations, with an emphasis on the Middle East, the Balkans, and Sweden. Some new units are available, and the unit progression and stats are improved. The tech tree is corrected for Middle East nations and all proper wonders and diplomatic options are included.
    -Resources and city improvements updated. Soviet cities especially have been beefed up to better represent production in major cities, and many smaller nations have received additional improvements and appropriate resources.
    -New unit graphics from the last two years have been integrated, and a couple new units have been added to the biq. A lot of redundant units have been consolidated and updated on the map.
    -Lots of small corrections to the civilopedia and other minor areas.

A huge thank you goes to Lionic who do a great deal of play-testing and troubleshooting for the new version.

Also thanks again to Civinator and civforum.de for continuing to host the game.

The only major update I can think of at this point is the addition of a multi-player biq. This would be designed specifically with house rules in mind (such as forbidding the use of anti-ship missiles or ASW helicopters against land targets). There are no plans to do this any time soon unless there's a demand for it, as I want to focus on the Worldwide game now.

Wolfhart likes this.
  5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

AnthonyBoscia, it´s wonderful that you give us an update of the greatest war scenario, ever done for Civ 3! :):thanx:

6. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi Tony! My sincerest congratulations on this release, there were still couple of things I wanted to report to you, but on the other hand testing and fixing could go on forever.

EDIT. I have sent them to you via personal message.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. Wolfhart

Wolfhart The Last in Line

Awesome Tony!!! :woohoo:
    Looking forward to downloading this tonight and go back to 1989 again!
    Sweden is updated?! Hot damn! Ok, now I know which nation to play! :king:

8. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Yeah, who do you think they were updated for? :)

9. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

I've tried the updated version a few times, but have run into errors when trying to save the game, with the error message "FAILED TO SAVE GAME" appearing, followed by the save path.

The size of the saved game file in the save folder is noticeably larger than any other mod, perhaps contributing to the error. I have mapped the course of my actions over the first term. An initial save right after loading was only 1500kb, but after signing Right of Passage agreements, it jumps up to the 17,000 level that triggers the error.

Attempting to load the same saved game, from before the Right of Passage agreements, comes up with the error message "NOT A VALID SAVE FILE".

It isn't just the RoP that seems to trigger it, but I'm going to continue to troubleshoot it. I seem to remember seeing something about this a few years ago, possibly in the development process of the mod. Did any solutions arise?

Edit: After another run through today, the error occurred without any actions other than simple gameplay - sinking Soviet subs, deploying US aircraft to Europe, moving troops about in aerial transports and loading ships and moving ships about. Something seems to trigger or cause a tenfold increase in size that corrupts the save.

It ran successfully on an older computer, also running Windows XP, over the summer with no issues; that was the original release of the game.

Well done on an excellent piece of work; I do like the sheer level of detail in the accompanying Excel file, particularly the force balance section.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  10. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Hi Anthony. Having drooled over this Scenario for literally years, I DL'd it tonight, put the NoRaze.exe in my ...\Civ3\Conquests\ folder, double-clicked it, and to cut a long story short, nothing happened.

Spoiler Well, that's not quite true... :
    The first thing that happened was Windows8.1 told me to log in as Admin (I'm already logged in as Admin, AFAIK). So I right-clicked on the file and then clicked Run as Administrator. This gave me the usual Windows UAC 'Are you sure you want to allow this file to make changes...?' pop-up (I say 'usual' because CAII gives me this as well every time, as does LEGO Star Wars, even though I am Admin, and have already authorised both those softwares to run as Admin in their Properties... :rolleyes: ), so I clicked Yes. And then nothing happened.
    FTR, I am running a DL-version of Civ3 installed from GamersGate a couple of years back, and the epic game runs without problems, as did/do various other large Mods I've installed (e.g. WorldWide, CCM1.8, EFZI2) for the most part. (Late-game CCM interturns get increasingly long, and occasionally white-screen, but I've put that down to the vast number of [re]calculations needed).

So I'm wondering... was Antal's .exe originally created from a CD-based Conquests.exe? If so, it's therefore likely (now) being killed by Micro$oft's disablement of the secdrv.sys function (since September 2015, on WinVista+), so those of us with NoCD, DL-versions of C3C will not be able to use it...

Undaunted, I tried running the Scenario from my (NoCD) Conquests .exe, and while it took a long time to fill the 'Configuring Scenario' progress-bar, it did finally start up. I Random-rolled the Romanians, scrolled around the map a little to start with (looks incredible!), but when I hit End Turn... boom, whitescreen for a good 15-20 minutes ("Civ3 is not responding..."), then a report of Soviet Paratroopers landing (I guess I should first have signed an RoP with the USSR...?), then another 30-40 minutes' wait...

In the end, I quit to the desktop. (Sorry, but) As gorgeous as this thing looks :drool: , to be honest, if the AI is going to raze all your carefully placed towns, and the interturns are regularly going to take well over an hour to resolve (even with all animations off, which I'd already set for my CCM game-in-progress), I'm afraid I don't have the time/patience to play through this Scenario even once. Which sucks, and I wish it wasn't so, but what can you do...? :sad:

11. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

Antal's patches work just fine on my Steam version. The NoRaze does as well, as does City Limit exes.

12. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Bear with me, fellas. I'm on a much deserved vacation from Civ and computers in general to recharge my batteries before tackling the worldwide game again. I will be checking in, though, since I think if y'all take the time to play and post then the least I can do is respond to the best of my ability.

Hey, Simon, glad to see you here again. Your game is running way hotter than I've ever seen before. Mine runs at the high 800s to mid 900s. You are absolutely correct that this is the issue that almost killed the game during development and has plagued it ever since.

My understanding is that since Civ 3 can only use a single core, there is essentially a hard limit to how big a mod can be and still function. At one end is the issue of "failure to save game', which is extraordinarily frustrating to players, and at the far extreme is that the game simply won't load at all without crashing. During development, I was constantly keeping an eye on the memory used, and implemented a number of changes (like eliminating aircraft fidgets for example) to shave down that number. The biggest drain comes from the number of unit animations specifically, although diplomatic actions and trade will add to that.

I don't have a ready solution, as the only way to significantly reduce the memory used would be to substitute graphics and extensively re-mod the game. I imagine that if your older computer had more horsepower per core, than that could explain it running better. When I got my current computer 5-some years ago, I specifically looked for larger individual core size cause I knew I'd be Civ 3 modding for a while.

I'm glad someone checked out the Excel file :), since absurd amounts of time were sunk into that and the civilopedia. There are still a number of omissions or simplifications in the file once I pinpointed what would and would not be able to make it into the game. One thing I'd like to do is go back and add in other forces and details regarding things off the map. It would be kinda cool to create a massive Balance of Power summary that included naval and air forces. Even with all those lists of hardware and unit designations, though, there is so much left unsaid about training, maintenance, readiness, and above all morale.

Hi, tjs. Well that sucks. In terms of the no-raze patch and non-CD versions of the game, that is outside my sphere of knowledge for sure. I am fairly certain that the No Raze exe included in the scenario is not an Antal version, but a much older one that's been on the site for a while. I'm still running Win 7 so I can't test issues with newer versions.

The absurd turn times are unfortunately a reality of the scenario and have been a killer to many would-be players. This is exacerbated by playing someone like Romania, for example, as you can't see the back and forth attacks in Central Europe as say Czechoslovakia or West Germany could. Mine doesn't last as long as an hour, but that first turn is a beast. The turn times rapidly reduce due to the immense slaughter involved, and usually I get down to 10-15 minutes after a few turns (and less later), which I usually use to read books, make phone calls, and throw empties at the cat.

I understand very well if this is too tedious to play (you're not the first!). I had to make the decision early on to follow this path or start the whole scenario over at the division level on a small map, which would have lost so much detail and nuance as to make the game a bore snore exercise in ramming tank toys together. I do appreciate you giving it a whirl and sorry it didn't get the job done for ya.

13. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Hi Anthony, thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm going to try a complete re-download and reinstall of the mod and biq over the coming weekend to see if any different results can be coaxed out of the situation. My gut instinct is that it is some sort of bug or stuff up at my end and it will come out in the end.

It could well be that the older (2005) computer had more bang for buck; a curious circumstance all round.

The Excel file and civilopedia are masterworks and one of the many great features of your work.

14. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

The No-Raze-Patch was done by Skyer2, the first great genius in improving Civ 3, long before Antal1987, the other great genius. :hatsoff::hatsoff:
    You can find the thread here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ai-doesnt-raze-cities.194794/

BadKharma from the former SOE-Team was the first who understood what is needed to make that patch working.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ai-doesnt-raze-cities.194794/page-2#post-4891512
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ai-doesnt-raze-cities.194794/page-3#post-4895147

He found out, that there were needed two different versions of that patch before SOE was published: One for CivIII Complete and another one for Civ 3 upgraded with the expansions PTW and C3C. That´s why SOE included two versions of the 'No-Raze-Patch'. In the information textfile of SOE you can read the following:

No Raze Patch
    29 March 2008
    Install Instructions:
    ~~ very easy - first, go into the Civilization III/Conquests directory and
    rename the Conquests.exe to Conquests ORIG. It's ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that you do this back-up procedure.
    ~~ cut the corresponding no raze file in this folder. now, the one that corresponds for
    you depends on what type of civ3 conquests you have on your computer. the one with the 2
    on the end is Civ3Complete. the one without is Civ3 Conquest. so be sure to use the
    appropriate no raze file and make certain that you name the new exe file exactly the same as your original one.
    ~~ it's VERY IMPORTANT that you back up the original Conquests exe file!

So at least at that time it made a difference for the correct version of the No-Raze-Patch if you played C3C coming with Civ III Complete or C3C by upgrading Civ 3 with the both expansions. I cannot say if now for the Steam Version of Civ Complete or the GoG Version that situation has changed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. abie321

abie321 Chieftain

Firstly an absolutely awesome mod!!! I Played to day 7 last night. Then it would not save.

I thought that the autosave would work - it didnt.

Is there ANYWAY past this at all?

My computer is a 7 year old I7 and easily runs the turns. But will not save. Please tell me this Mod is not lost to me?

16. abie321

abie321 Chieftain

Ok I THINK I have sorted it - I went into settings and increased the max size of virtual memory - Game save day one - so lets see.

If anyone else has any advice - please let me know....

17. abie321

abie321 Chieftain

Nope - by turn 3 - it will no longer save the turn.....

18. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi everyone! I've been wondering if anyone plays for South Americans (Cuba or Venezuela)?

19. CivCat101

CivCat101 Chieftain

Downloaded the mod and right off the bat I can tell that you're insanely dedicated to this. :hatsoff: Hats off to you, sir! The only bad part is that it runs very poorly - though that's mostly due to my hardware.

20. Lionic

Lionic King

Hi Tony! I have three things to say regarding my last game (for Poland):
    - Removing most naval bombardment is a good idea, it gives Warsaw Pact much better fighting chances;
    - Should Poland have some MRL (RM-70 or BM-21) units preplaced in the start of the game?
    - In case you ever do a new version, I BEG YOU PLEASE! Remove hidden nationality flag from Partisan units or make them unbuildable. All Warsaw Pact nations started to spawn them once available and ended up fighting each other around Eastern Germany, oblivious of NATO counterattack and making me abandon the game--I simply had no chance to do all the job myself.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.