1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Third World War 1989

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by AnthonyBoscia, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Hey Lionic. I fully agree on the naval bombardment. Too bad we don't have that ability like in Civ 5 to separate naval and land bombardment.

-As far as I know, all Polish MRLs were part of divisional artillery. The Soviet ones on the map are separate artillery regiments. So these should be build-able for the Poles but not pre-placed.
    -Yeah, I was never happy with the partisans. If they aren't hidden nationality, you end up with crazy wars. If they aren't invisible, they are worthless. If they are both, they end up with chaos. Better just to delete them all, or limit them to the special forces-spawned versions.

Other than releasing a 'patch' with minor corrections at some point, I have no intention of making a new version. As far as I'm concerned, it's done! Funny that you brought this up today, as I have some time and was debating playing a game for a few hours. Now I know what to play. :)

2. Lionic

Lionic King

I've been toying with "1989 with all things I ever wanted to add" and made it totally unplayable, so I dropped it, installed everything anew and started a game. I wanted to try out Egypt and Czechoslovakia but the games did not go well, so I decided to try Poland. It was a great game, even though I had to admit defeat.

3. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

How did Egypt go?

4. Lionic

Lionic King

I have always thought that Egypt was a worthy idea to try for Middle Eastern player--large army mostly equipped with good Western weapons, relatively small territory to defend. My plan was to invade North Africa expecting Israel to block the way for Arabian armies, but actually Israel left a gap and I've got invaded instead. And bailed out. Sorry for such a short report...

5. r16

r16 not deity

ı should have been busy working on mine in whatever little time ı have available but ı keep harping on scenarios whose modders might no longer have the time to do more work . Also NATO is naturally begging for ever more epic disasters as if the plotted is not already more than enough . Accordingly , there is a canal to be dug across Thrace to allow USN deploy in the Blacksea without any treaty "restrictions" , it will kill the Sea of Marmara as in all the fish dead . In addition to well established mundane stuff like plunder of the national treasury and Arabs changing the ethnic makeup of the rural areas to remove "guerilla operations areas" when NATO invades . Forum members will remember my attempt lasted only half a turn before the game seized up and ı never got the chance to see the 2nd . ı blame myself for changing the city of Bursa from making a stadium to -ı don't know- something military , because it already had one and the newly built one is a just waste of money , benefitting only its builders in the fashion of the times and everybody eavesdropping gets crazy about it . More likely to be ı totally avoid adding no raze patch , if anything happens to Civ III how am ı going to replace it ? So , everytime a city is captured and maybe razed it takes hours to recalculate trade routes ...

so the rant was the Red Banner thing in the Blacksea simply sailed across the Straits right away and my pathetic existance as an armchair general assures me firmly that would not happen . So , in case if there was ever any reworking of this scenario , Istanbul should be city that straddles Marmara and the Blacksea , no sea connection type , with a measure to stop rail traffic to prevent the AI doing silly things . The Turkish player might be denied coal and iron for example and the tile next to the city devoid of roads to prevent the forces in Anatolia driving all the way to Sweden for some reason .

this would be problem when the Bulgarians "occupy" and "politics" require r16 to declare this wouldn't happen but this is a game . With bottling up the Russian Fleet . Solution ? Bulgaria being the most loyal ally of Russia should become the Southwestern TVD , which ı remember as the "theatre of operations" , with the capital in Odessa to build replacement ships if the timescale of the scenario allows for that . This way the Blacksea forces might occupy the Med or else keep the relevant AIs busy .

justification ? Some talk ı had with my mother . She remembers my late father telling of the time when he was put on alert during his compulsory service in the Bulgarian Army , to be sent to Prague . She thinks that should have been about the regular putting down rebellions thing but Prague itself was in 1968 , they were married for years , my father just fired 3 rounds in training as he was a Turk and Bulgarians would like totally trust its Turkish minority with arms in WW III . He spent his entire time under uniform working as a labourer so ı would imagine that to be the Cuban Crisis , the Turkish troops sent for repair and contruction behind the Czechs who were supposed to be in Le Havre in 15 days . See , none of them would imagine to defect and if they weren't nuked by the Americans , they might be shot by the Maquis , serving post war Bulgarian interests much better as dead . So , totally realistic if Bulgarian units that survived first few turns (because ı hear the scenario gets real quick after a lot units get killed) to end up in Spain and the like after their Russian cousins .

will also totally troll Pentagon which will be forever whimpering they would win the world war if they had the canal .

6. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

I wouldn't say it gets quick after the first few turns. Just not as slow.

The No-raze patch doesn't effect any of the original Conquests files. It can just be dropped in the Conquest folder.

Don't worry about the Bulgarians encroaching on Eastern Thrace. The Turkish and Hellenic Armies obliterate them in the first few turns. I haven't seen them end up in Spain but I have seen the East Germans lug their Scuds across the Pyrenees to blast Vigo.

7. r16

r16 not deity

have actually downloaded it again to see whether ı could add some amount of firepower on my part to finish it all together in one turn . I have noticed you have one guy on an island in the Aegean . "Should" be removed in any 4th edition , because it certainly leads me the idiot to the smallprint about the Aegean , borders , ownership issues and this chief of the generals who yesterday claimed Greeks were not following treaties as if that would make him popular the post A-K-P country where the first actions are bound to include some little clash about driving Greeks off some rock , and like WW III as a train crash .

8. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Yeah, no idea how he ended up there. It looks like the brigade was on vacation in Chios or Samos. The unit will be removed for next time, if there is a next time.