The thread for space cadets!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

The first time I ever heard the insult/endearment "space cadet" was in Supergirl (the 1984 movie), so I've always assumed that it originated in the USA — and it's clearly been in general use for at least 40 years, and possibly longer (strikes me as being a bit Valley-Girlish, like, fershure, y'know?).

And @hobbsyoyo is American and (now) lives in California, so was likely well aware of the idiomatic meaning when he started the thread.

I miss hobbs.

2. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Sadly I can't see their profile. When were they last active?

3. Samson

Samson Deity

In my friend group it means someone who is into recreational pharmaceuticals.

4. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

That's a different kind of rocket fuel to be sure!

5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Hobbs still come by on occasion. He had a kid so his RL keeps him busy.

El_Machinae and tjs282 like this.
  6. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

:(
    Man who blasted to space alongside Star Trek star dies in plane crash
    Glen M. de Vries among 2 killed in Thursday crash in northern New Jersey

A man who travelled to space with Star Trek actor William Shatner last month was killed along with another person when the small plane they were in crashed in a wooded area of northern New Jersey, according to state police.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/glen-de-vries-fatal-plane-crash-new-jersey-1.6247375

7. Samson

Samson Deity

An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse, not visible here but perhaps for you?

The best viewing will be right around the peak of the eclipse, on November 19th at 9:03 UTC/4:03 AM EDT/1:03 AM PDT. This part of the eclipse is visible in all of North America, as well as large parts of South America, Polynesia, eastern Australia, and northeastern Asia.​

A world map showing where the eclipse is visible at the time of greatest eclipse. Earlier parts of the eclipse are visible farther east, while later times are visible farther west.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Spinning into suborbit

SpinLaunch conducts first test flight at New Mexico’s Spaceport America

Copyright © 2021 Albuquerque Journal
    BY KEVIN ROBINSON-AVILA
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Aiken_Drumn likes this.
  9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Ballista missiles!

He was a Blue-Shirt, too :(

Ferocitus likes this.
  10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

i posted a link in the science news thread but should be here

this Thursday/Friday night-morning the longest eclipse in centuries

11. Samson

Samson Deity

I glanced at the moon soon after 6am this morning, and knowing that is was supposed to be entering the penumbra I could imagine it was a bit browner than usual, but I am not convinced. Then it set. I hope someone gets a better view.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

it'll start in about 6 hours with maximum a couple hours later around 4 am est

or is that 3 am est

13. Samson

Samson Deity

So I got the wrong day :blush:

A private space based kaleidoscope to find planets around Alpha Centauri

A proposed space telescope will use an innovative lens to search for habitable exoplanets in the Solar System’s nearest neighbour, Alpha Centauri. The project is a collaboration between scientists from Australia’s Sydney Institute for Astronomy and Saber Astronautics and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and is backed by tech billionaire Yuri Milner’s alien-hunting Breakthrough Initiatives programme.

The telescope will be named TOLIMAN, which is an Arabic-derived alternative name for Alpha Centauri. Or, in an admirable backronym, ‘Telescope for Orbit Locus Interferometric Monitoring of our Astronomical Neighbourhood’. All being well, it will be “an agile low-cost mission that delivers results by about the middle of the decade”, says astrophysical imaging physicist Peter Tuthill.

The TOLIMAN telescope will use a diffractive pupil lens that spreads starlight into a flower-like pattern, making it easier for astronomers to detect perturbations that indicate orbiting planets.

Ferocitus, tjs282 and red_elk like this.
  14. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Dart: Mission to smack Dimorphos asteroid set for launch
    A spacecraft is set to launch and test technology that may one day be needed to tip a dangerous asteroid off course.

Nasa's Dart mission will evaluate a longstanding proposal for neutralising a sizeable space rock headed for Earth.

The spacecraft will crash into an object called Dimorphos to see how much its speed and path can be altered.

If a chunk of cosmic debris measuring a few hundred metres across were to collide with our planet, it could unleash continent-wide devastation.

It's the first attempt to deflect an asteroid for the purpose of learning how to protect Earth, though this particular asteroid presents no threat.

"Dart will only be changing the period of the orbit of Dimorphos by a tiny amount. And really that's all that's needed in the event that an asteroid is discovered well ahead of time," said Kelly Fast, from Nasa's planetary defense coordination office,

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59327293

stfoskey12 and Ferocitus like this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

This is kind of cool, but my guess from this image is that "a tiny amount" means really tiny. Has anyone calculated how ar away that much delta V would have to be applied to a damaging asteroid for it to miss earth?

E.man and Ferocitus like this.
  16. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Well, I guess from this experiment, we will have practical science to calculate such efforts if they are needed?

I'm pretty confident of humanities maths and science, so I am sure we could do it if need be.. but understanding the mass/volume etc of a spinning, uneven object, zillions of miles away will always be a bit of a clusterfudge.

I consider "blasting it to smithereens" might be a more practical approach.. and then obliterate the bits that are formed after. But then again, there are reasons I am not in charge!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  17. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Not to worry we have whole surveys dedicated to spotting rocks that may threaten us. Problem is the smaller they get the less likely you are to spot them. The later you spot them the more destructive you'll need to be to stop them falling on our heads.

18. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

'Incident' delays launch of James Webb Space Telescope
    The launch of the James Webb Space Telescope has been put back by at least four days to allow for more checks.

It was to have been sent into orbit on 18 December and will now go up no earlier than the 22nd of the month.
    A US space agency statement said an "incident" had occurred during launch preparations that may have
    caused a sudden vibration in the observatory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59388109

19. Imaus

Imaus King

Anything that can be a danger to the Earth, or our biosphere, or our technological civilization, can't be blasted to smithereens, not with our tech.

Nuclear detonations from a distance away, while the rock is far off, may be enough to angle it away/change its course. Or sending probes to latch on and use ISRU to fuel rockets to push it away, or parasite-mass driver drones that chuck pieces of it and alter it that way. But all of those require time.

Aiken_Drumn and Ferocitus like this.
  20. Samson

Samson Deity

What happens when stars get too close to a black hole

In a series of simulations, a team of astrophysicists has chucked a bunch of stars at a range of black holes, and recorded what happens.

When a star ventures a little too close to a black hole, things turn violent pretty quickly. The extreme gravitational field of the black hole starts deforming and then pulling the star apart, due to what we call tidal forces – the stretching of one body due to the gravitational pull of another.​