the top three biggest EU country

what is the biggest (in size) country of the EU?

• Hungary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Finland

• Germany

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Spain

• UK

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Greece

• Italy

• France

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Sweden

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawai_74

mac über alles
PLEASE DON'T CHEAT

What is the three (or ten if you know them) biggest country (by the size) of the european community (25).
Name the countries in your post, even there is a poll. The poll is for the biggest country.

France : 551 000 km²
Spain : 500 000 km²
Germany : 400 000 km²

(from memory and without any help)

will a poll really determine the biggest country? aren't there already borders that determine how large the countries are?

Originally posted by kmad
will a poll really determine the biggest country? aren't there already borders that determine how large the countries are?
:confused: The poll isn't here to determine what is the biggest country, but to show what are the views of the CFCer for that question. :rolleyes:

Hmm , by the way what is your thinking about the biggest country in the EU?

Land mass:
1. France
2. Spain
3. Sweden

Population:
1. Germany
2. France
3. UK
(Italy a very close 4th)

Darn, yup, forgot Sweden and its 450 000 km².

Addiv beaten me :(

Originally posted by Akka
Darn, yup, forgot Sweden and its 450 000 km².

Addiv beaten me :(
It's strange, when you look at a map you would say Sweden is bigger than France and definitely bigger than Spain, but somehow it isn't. Maybe it's the projection method.

It's definitely the projection method.
Just look the apparent size of Greenland and Arabia, and then think they are both nearly exactly the same size.

(still, the think I never understood, is why the USA seems to be bigger than Canada, even without Alaska, and even though the projection method should make Canada seems smaller... This one is a mystery for me ^^)

It's definitely the projection method.
Just look the apparent size of Greenland and Arabia, and then think they are both nearly exactly the same size.

(still, the think I never understood, is why the USA seems to be bigger than Canada, even without Alaska, and even though the projection method should make Canada seems smaller... This one is a mystery for me ^^)

Well, I agree that map sucks because of the projection... but I can't post you my globe :p.

Actually, the United States is quite a great pretender. Indeed, it pretends to be 9 million km², but it's only 7.5 million km². It's only because they add Alaska to the size of the country that it's bigger than Brazil or Australia.

We can say in the same way that Denmark is 2 million km² since it would be the case if we include Greenland. More seriously speaking, France is considered to be 550,000 km² and it would be 650,000 km² if we would include French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion departments. I agree I'm talking about places which are in other continents, but still, you get the point. ;)

Now on topic, here are the largest countries in Europe :
  1. France : 550,000 km²
  2. Spain : 500,000 km²
  3. Sweden : 450,000 km²
  4. Germany : 360,000 km²
  5. Finland : 340,000 km²
  6. Poland : 310,000 km²
  7. Italy : 300,000 km²
  8. United Kingdom : 240,000 km²
  9. Greece : 130,000 km²
  10. Hungary : 95,000 km²
  11. Portugal : 90,000 km²
  12. Austria : 85,000 km²
  13. Czech Republic : 80,000 km²
  14. Ireland : 70,000 km²
  15. Lithuana : 65,000 km²
  16. Latvia : 65,000 km²
  17. Slovakia : 50,000 km²
  18. Estonia : 45,000 km²
  19. Denmark : 43,000 km²
  20. Netherlands : 42,000 km²
  21. Belgium : 30,000 km²
  22. Slovenia : 20,000 km²
  23. Cyprus : 5,900 km²
  24. Luxembourg : 2,600 km²
  25. Malta : 316 km²
European Union : 4 million km²
European Union (incl. everything) : 6.3 million km²

Well, we do count Corsica into the size of the metropolitan France, so I don't see why Alaska shouldn't be counted for USA either.

And anyway, Canada is 10,5 millions km², and USA 9,3 millions with Alaska, so anyway USA is smaller.
And well, the projection used is particularly misleading : Greenland seems to be of the same size than the whole USA ^^

Right Marla...:goodjob: you didn't know all that numbers ;)

here's the top five
France : 551,500 km²
Spain : 505,990 km²
Sweden : 449,960 km²
Germany : 357,030 km²
Finland : 338,150 km²

i'm not sure if it was a good topic for a thread (it would better in a quiz!)
to go on with this thread you can order the top five for the population...

:goodjob:

Well, we do count Corsica into the size of the metropolitan France, so I don't see why Alaska shouldn't be counted for USA either.

And anyway, Canada is 10,5 millions km², and USA 9,3 millions with Alaska, so anyway USA is smaller.
And well, the projection used is particularly misleading : Greenland seems to be of the same size than the whole USA ^^

the biggest country on earth
Russia: 17 075 400 km2 then comes
Canada!: 9 976 610 km2
China: 9 596 960 km2 and US: 9 363 520 km2

The UE at 25 members is only.... at the 7 place with 4 050 000 km2 (behind Brazil and Australia)

Yes. You're totally right on both points. I understand we don't count French Guyana in the area of France since it's in South America, however, I could hardly understand why we shouldn't count Corsica, it's an island. Do you think we shouldn't count Sardinia and Sicily in Italy's land area and population ? It would be meaningless.

If I said so, it was mainly to point out that Alaska represent 20% of the landmass of mainland US. And it was also for the sake of arguing. :D

By the way, Canada is 9.9 million km². If we don't include water, it's 9 million km².

Top Bottom