1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Torment of Auric Ulvin

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Ozbenno, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Cold.

I, Auric Ulvin, have always been cold.

I can remember nothing but the cold. Sometimes though, I can almost recall slivers of memory of other places, other times. These memories hover at the edges of my mind and occasionally flash across my sight.

Trees, water, a valley, sand, dragons, ice, tunnels, voices, people, none of which I recognize. Some of them are of places that do not look to be cold but once the visions stop, I have no memory of ever being in these places or seeing those people, just this cold wasteland at the edge of the world, surrounded by the living ghosts of the Letum Frigus.

My first consistent memory is of standing outside the Letum Frigus, talking to the living ghosts that haunted this monument to a god destroyed.

"Once you had been the greatest of scholars and priests, tributes were paid to you by all nations. You think those days are past, you dream of the return of your lord and I tell you, he will not come. I am your lord now, forget what you have lost, and think only on what can be gained; follow me and I will return your glory. This world will be yours again."

These are the words I spoke, the first words I ever recall speaking. I did not know then where these words came from or even what they meant, they just appeared in my mind as I spoke. It was like I was watching myself in a dream, a spectator to my own actions. At various times since I think that I have known where, or more precisely who, those words were from but I have either lost those memories as well or they have been taken from me. I don’t know why this does not worry me. Maybe the cold has numbed my emotions into acceptance of what is, not yearning for what was. I do not know how long ago I spoke these words, as time seems to have no meaning here in the cold. One day seems like the last, without end.

It is only now, as I sense the grip of the cold begin to weaken, that it is clear to me that the time of the Illians is here. It is time to gather all of the ghosts that haunt these wastes together in one spot, time to plan for our future in this world.

It is said that when the Illians awake, the world sleeps; and when the world sleeps, the Illians awake. This time as the world awakes from the cold, the Illians will not be sleeping.

2. dot

dot crossing the i's

Oh, a DM FfH Auric tale? :woohoo:

Keep it coming, Ozbenno. I'll keep reading. :)

3. Ozbenno

It can be most disconcerting living amongst the ghosts of the Letum Frigus. Most are barely visible spirits that appear to be in a dream-state most of the time. It was hard to get them to band together in the first place. They certainly would not move far from the Letum Frigus, their home for countless years.

As the first crude structures were erected, a name branded itself across my mind, Garduk. And so it was called.

Some of the ghosts, however, seem to have been taken by the same fervor that recently has begun to affect me. Whether it is the slight increase in the temperature that has warmed us up or something else I do not know. Two in particular have been able to take the semblance of fleshy reality for sustained periods of time.

Morpheus was a warrior before he became a ghost. He was the first to approach me and offer assistance in the redemption of the Illians. Slow, strong of limb and methodical, he will scout out the lands surrounding Garduk.

While Stuporifix was a scout, fast and nimble. He will search out the furthest lands of Erebus, finding those others awakening from the cold, those who will fuel our expansion.

I do not know what we will find out there in Erebus but maybe the lands we discover and peoples we meet might rekindle something in my own mind, something that I might be able to remember, something that will cause me to recall who I am.

4. Ozbenno

Thanks dot :D

It will be a very slow game, as I've not actually finished a turn yet :lol:

For reference as well, it is a huge Erebus map, aggressive AI and no tech brokering options are selected. Emporer level.

5. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Did you regen until you got Letum Frigus? If not, lucky you. Aggresive trait!

6. Ozbenno

I did, using the justification that it fit the story much better :blush:

7. Ozbenno

One strange thing about the inhabitants of Garduk is their reduced need for food, or more correctly, the way they can sustain their forms using the icy landscape they have been inhabiting.

As Garduk grows, that need for food might grow but there are herds of deer that will come under our influence, as well as a colony of beavers to harvest. We will need to discover the means of harvesting these resources but I will leave that for another time, we first must find a way to use the rich riverlands to the south of Garduk, I will consult the ancient scribes for assistance in this.

There are others of the Illian who are starting to thaw and come back to reality as well, I will try and find one who will stay and guard Garduk from those who would do us ill.

Spoiler :
    Just using this to show the fact that the Illians get food from ice (as shown in the city screen). Also, having been setting this up for over two days once it actually came time to play 1 turn, I can't believe how long it took me to decide between Agriculture and Hunting for the first tech to research. I went Agriculture mainly because it takes less time and I can farm the grasslands straight away (once I have a worker).

8. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

@Benno:

We could make a two man story-telling SG out of this - I have finished my first game with the Illians already, and it was a blast :D . Of course I stirred Drifa from Slumber and ascended to the place of the God of Winter...

9. Ozbenno

There has been some interesting news from the field.

Morpheus has quickly discovered that the NW of Garduk is an icy hilly wasteland that does not lead anywhere else. Even the Illians would struggle to make much of this landscape. Word has been sent for him to return to Garduk for further orders.

Stuporifix, however, has some very interesting news.

Firstly, there is a camp of strange creatures just outside the borders of Garduk. From the descriptions sent back they appear to be Lizardmen. We will have to be on guard as the capital is currently undefended, Morpheus will soon be back to take care of this though.

The most important news was that he has already found existence of another civilization out there. No contact has been made, as Stuporifix wants to know if we should approach them first, so we do not know who they might be.

When the news first came to me, I felt a presence awaken in the back of mind, as if eager to hear the news as well. It made no effort to do anything other than listen to the reports coming in from Stuporifix and when it realised that the civilization we have discovered was unknown, it disappeared into the depths of my unconscious, or wherever it came from in the first place.

This is the first time, that I can remember, I can recall such a thing happening. What does this mean? Am I sharing my mind with another being or has some trauma I can’t recall split my mind into two?

On one hand this revelation fills me with dread as I do not know if I have the strength yet to resist if this presence tried to take over my mind.

On the other hand, maybe there is a chance that I can regain my memories and the flashes of recollection that fly across my mind can start to make sense and I can reclaim the knowledge of who I really am. The first stirrings of hope are starting to take hold.

Spoiler :
    Wow! I wasn't expecting to see anyone else for a while yet. I wonder if an early warrior rush might be in order!!

10. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

I'll certainly be watching this. Well written and whatnot. Umm...really don't know what else to say! XD

11. Ozbenno

Thanks! I'm enjoying playing this (the whole 2 turns so far) so good to know people are watching :goodjob:

12. Marksman77

Marksman77 Aethernaut

Good story :goodjob:

I'm glad there's someone who plays slower than me :)

13. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

14. ssmage

ssmage Warlord

You can't kill the lurchirp! How else will mulcarn get more ice golems?

(Barnaxas was given life by Mulcarn and made ice golems for him)(But when the AOI ended Barnaxas went back to the Lurchirp. Most Lurchirp think that it was Kyolin that gave Barnaxas life.)(That's what kael wrote in post sometime ago, I believe.)

15. Ozbenno

Morpheus has started his return to the capital. He has apparently called the area mapped out to the north-east Morpheus’ Drift. I see no reason not to humour him in this. It is good to see the life returning to him. He is returning towards Garduk. I am unsure whether to let him explore the NW or stay in Garduk to guard against any attack from the lizardmen.

Stuporifix has gotten his orders to approach the rival civilization but has yet to make contact. I feel quite hopeful that once I first can see the face of another, this may return some of my memories to me. I also feel trepidation that it will not. These feelings of hope and trepidation are most welcome as it has been a lifetime since I last felt anything at all.

16. Ozbenno

I didn't know that. I'll have to think whether I change some of the story I have planned out.

17. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

You should wait till they have completed Barny, kill it and treaure the pieces of Barnaxus.

18. Ozbenno

I am filled with rage today :mad:

Stuporifix had made camp, preparing to meet our neighbours the next morning, sending back word of his intent.

He has not been heard of since. I fear an attack by the mindless lizardmen is the most likely reason. We will defiantely be keeping Morpheus close to home to guard against a sneak attack, he is not far away.

Perhaps the fervour that has so awakened him had left and he returned to Garduk or the Letum Frigus in the ghost-like state we first found him in.

He was a good man and we will remember him.

It does little to ease my rage though. Someone will pay for this.

Spoiler :
    :mad::mad::mad:

Can I just say I'm not too fond of the spawning Lizardmen one square outside the capital, if it had headed towards Garduk instead of killing my scout, I would probably be a goner.

19. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

=(

I miss Stuporifix.

=(

20. Korias

Korias King

(Would it be worthwhile to nab the Agressive trait ASAP from the Frigus?)

Also, Great job. This may be the first compelling dramatic story I've read in a while.