The Torment of Auric Ulvin

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I have heard that saying somewhere, I do not know where. It can't have been the Illians because nothing ever changes here in Garduk. Days, months, years go by with no change at all. Just the wind and the snow for company.

It seems to not worry the Illians at all, as change is anethema to their philosophy but it grates on me. It grates on me badly. I want things to change, I want to find out what is happening in the world, what things might bring back memories for me. When I mention this to th Illians they just say "What will be, will be." I think they know how much this infuriates me and just say it all the more because of it.

Things will change I know it. I just don't know yet what the instrument of this change will be. Hopefully it comes soon.

Attachments

• Auric.CivBeyondSwordSave
    102.5 KB · Views: 48
We have much to accomplish and I don’t know how much time we will have to achieve our goals.

I have been speaking with Morpheus recently about this and suggested to him that he seek out others that might be of a similar mindset to him as exploration of the surrounds must be the first order of business.

He has found another warrior of old, Olnius.

He is solid enough but is eerily quiet, a very quiet “yes, my Lord” or “no, my Lord” is all I have heard him speak. As most of the Illians do, he has piercing blue eyes that seem to stare straight through you.

I am now torn as to who to send out exploring and who to keep at home. I think Morpheus is the better choice to explore, much as I would prefer him to stay in Garduk, as I could use the company, as he is more hardened to the realities of this age and more likely to survive what may well be out there waiting for him.

Where to send him was the next choice I agonized over. In the end I decided not to show our hand to our neighbours until we are ready for them and have fully explored our own part of the world. As such, I have sent him to the north west, to map out the terrain in that direction. Once he has done that I will send him south to make contact.

After Morpheus left, I called Olnius to me and repeated my suggestion to him. “We need more warriors to achieve our goals, find me another of a like mind to you, Olnius.”

He paused and stared at me, his blue eyes gazing into my soul. Was he waiting for a sign from another before responding? I do not know. “Yes, my Lord”, he replied and slowly left my chambers.

I then climbed to the top of my tower and faced the north west, straining for a view of Morpheus, heading further into the tundra. I wonder what he will find out there.

Attachments

103.5 KB · Views: 71
Morpheus has quickly discovered the local wildlife northwest of Garduk. He is observing some wolves from the safety of the forest. Wolves are renowned for their sense of smell so they may learn of his presence and attack but I am fairly confident he shall survive.

The reports coming back state that there are impassable mountains further north-west. Maybe there is a passage out of this region further west. Time will tell.

As suspected, the wolves attacked Morpheus.

He was easily able to survive their attack, without even sustaining any injuries. As instructed, he moved further west and has spotted a bear.

This is a more worthy foe than the wolves. It appears to be guarding a lair of some sort, so may not want to attack Morpheus. If it does, it will be a fierce battle indeed, one I fear Morpheus cannot win. Word has been sent for him to leave the region and head south towards our neighbours.

It is time to find out who we are sharing this region with.

Very very good Ozbenno, keep up the good work!!

I have been thinking hard on what can happen as a consequence of meeting our neighbours. I have been talking to Domanus as much as possible and also some of the older, less stable, Illians, about the various races and tribes that inhabit Erebus. Or at least, those that inhabited Erebus in the Age of Magic and the Age of Ice, which is what the Illians most remember. The names mean nothing to me, the Elves of the forests, the hidden Dwarves, the mysterious Aifon, the barbarian orcs, and the human tribes, the Bannor of Braduk, the barbarian Doviello and the magical Amurite. Who knows who of these have survived the long years and who might be near us and what their intentions might be.

I know as much as I can about these things and hopefully enough to be able to fit them into my brewing plan to trick the Illians into divulging whatever information they are witholding from me about my past.

The wait is over it is time to find these things out.

Loving this story Ozbenno keep up the good work. Will be watching this closely good luck.

Morpheus has sent word to Garduk this day that he had made contact with another tribe, the Dwarven Luchirup and their leader Beeri Bawl.

As I was told of the news I ran through all the scenarios I had been planning for. Luckily, I had much information about the Luchirup and I had something planned for this very moment.

I went very still in my chair unmoving, as the messenger looked on with increasing concern and curiosity. I then started twitching muscles in my face at random and clenching and unclenching my fists.

“My Lord, are you well?” asked the messenger.

“SILENCE!” I roared, in a voice I hoped was different to my own and jumped and started pacing the room. “DEFY ME WILL YOU BEERI BAWL. I THOUGHT I HAD ALREADY DEALT WITH YOU BUT THIS TIME I WILL MAKE SURE OF MY WORK. DESTROY THEM ALL. DESTROY THEM ALL.”

I put all my anger into the performance, every word was spat out with a grimace and a scream. I must be convincing here or it will all be for nothing. After I finished I then sat back down and shook my head as if recovering from a blow. I looked blankly at the messenger as if unawares of what had happened.

He just paused, nodded and said “Yes, my lord.” And headed quickly towards the door, was I imagining an added spring to his step, a bit more respect in his words and extra urgency to his pace. The potential benefits of my ploy working were huge so maybe I was imagining it but already I felt hopeful I would be able to fool the information out of the Illians that In was sure they were withholding from me.

All at once the struggle to gain control of my mind was not for show. The presence hiding within suddenly exerted all of its will against mine. I was not prepared for such an attempt as it had been dormant for so long and it was easily able to gain temporary control. As the messenger was going out the door, I again spoke but this time truly not with words of my own making.

“IF YOU FIND MY GOLEM, RETURN HIM HERE. I CAN ALWAYS PUT A PUPPET TO GOOD USE.”

It then withdrew into the depths of my sub-conscious, laughing maniacally to itself. The messenger stood rooted to the spot, obviously unsure as to what had just happened. Slightly stunned myself and drained from both the real and pretend performances, I waved him on his way.

All of a sudden there was no doubt as to who I was sharing my mind with. Mulcarn, the fallen God of Ice, has returned.

What am I to do?

I've been out of this thing for some time now as work took most of my free time. Things should look up now though the next weeks... :)

FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH

I have been sat down in my chamber all day trying to compose a missive to Beeri Bawl to put him at ease, as he will no doubt have many suspicions of the Illians, given the problematic nature of their history but all that comes into my mind as I try and write is the same three words repeated over and over again.

FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH. FEEL MY WRATH

It makes my head hurt intolerably, so I have abandoned the letter and have sought solace in my tower. I have found that the voice retreats to a more tolerable dull murmur if I am not trying to write anything.

As I stood atop the tower and look south towards the lands of the Luchirup, I had a strange feeling as if something of great importance happened in the world.

I wonder what it was?

I AM STUCK IN THE MIND OF A FOOL.

HE THINKS TO TRICK THE ILLIANS INTO REVEALING WHAT THEY MAY KNOW OF HIS FORMER SELF. TWO CAN PLAY AT THAT GAME AND I HAVE TRICKED HIM INTO BELIEVING THAT I AM THE SPIRIT OF MULCARN SO I MAY GET SOME CLUES AS TO MY OWN NATURE.

I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING TO SEE HOW FAR I CAN REACH OUT MY SPIRIT TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD. I CAN SEE THE ILLIANS IN AND AROUND GARDUK AND I CAN SEE THE ONE CALLED MORPHEUS APPROACHING THE LAIR OF THE LIZARDS BUT THAT IS ALL.

I KNOW THAT THERE IS POWER JUST BEYOND MY REACH, CALLING OUT TO ME FROM THE ICE AND THE LANDS AROUND HERE BUT IS IT MULCARN’S POWER OR IS IT KYLORIN’S? IT MAY BE THAT UNTIL THE POWER IS MY OWN AGAIN I WILL NEVER KNOW.

Attachments

105.1 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom