1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Touhou Mod Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by bouncymischa, May 8, 2013.

1. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Okay, so there appears to be a few of us who are working on various mods (primarily new civilizations) related to the Touhou games, so I figured it was about time to start up a discussion thread for us so we could both collectively brainstorm ideas, as well as avoid too much duplicated effort.

If people want, I could probably use this first post to try and keep track of active projects and assets...

Touhou Empires

Scarlet Devil Mansion - Remilia Scarlet
    CivFanatics thread

Fairy Alliance - Cirno

Tengu Republic - Aya Shameimaru
    CivFanatics thread

Earth Spirits - Utsuho Reiuji

Oni Clans - Suika Ibuki
    CivFanatics thread

Kappa States - Nitori Kawashiro

2. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

Cool, let's use this thread for any brainstorming we need help each other out. Now if only Graan was still on this...

3. bouncymischa

Did something happen with Graan? I admit, I don't really know much about them aside from the fact that they made the Scarlet Devil Mansion mod...

Also, been brainstorming ideas for the Moriya Shrine mod... got a couple of ideas for UUs, and the UB should be fairly straightforwards. The UA will likely depend on how easily I can bend my mind around Lua...

4. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

My guess is nothing, I was just saying that because he hasn't shown any signs of still making Touhou mods.

What is your idea for the Moriya shrine trait?

5. bouncymischa

Ahhh, too bad... I'd replied back when he posted the Scarlet Devil mansion one here but he never replied... maybe someday!

Currently, some of my ideas for the Moriya Shrine:

UU: Most likely a Swordsman replacement as Suwa Soldiers, or something. Basically, reflecting the period of battle between Suwako and Kanako, when Kanako defeated Suwako's iron-equipped armies. I figured I'd make it a Swordsman that didn't need Iron, and upgraded (eventually) to Musketman rather than Longswordsman, so you could build up an early army while conserving your Iron for Knights or other units. :3

Another UU possibility is some kind of Great Prophet replacement. Since a Great Prophet is generated as a Great Person, rather than being bought like Missionaries and Inquisitors are, it might be more workable. Be interesting to give it some kind of "miracles" ability like Sanae has, or at least let it build Academies as well as Holy Sites.

UB: Most likely some kind of Onbashira. I'm really hoping to tie this into religion and make it building you purchase like the Pagoda or Mosque. it'd depend on how the trait turns out...

UA: Ideally, I'd like to make a religious trait. It seems possible to use Lua to basically give the Moriya Shrine a starting pantheon, and possibly add additional beliefs to it for a start. So I could have them start with the "Purchase Onbashira with Faith" or something. If that's the case, then I could have the onbashira generate science and culture, giving the Moriya Shrine an inducement to collect faith and then spend it to advance scientific progress. :3

If I can't get it to work, I could always just do something like having Holy Sites generate Science as well as Faith, and possibly some other faith modifiers... Not sure exactly what I could do in XML...

6. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

I'd recommend you don't meddle in religious units just yet (not until the community is more experienced in changing them), but if you can it would be great.

It shouldn't be hard to do that, and sounds correct.

If you want to go big you could try adding new beliefs to the game with the Moriya faith, but what you say sounds good. A starting pantheon is almost necessary in my opinion.:goodjob:

7. bouncymischa

Well, I might be able to get away with modding the Great Prophet because Great Prophets appear more like other great people (which you can mod) and less like Missionaries and Inquisitors (which cause all kinds of problems). But right now it's a kind of "nice to have" idea if I can get everything else to work (since I may end up with a spare unique slot if it does).

I'm pretty sure it's easy to make a new belief tied to making a new building -- the "Supernatural Beliefs" mod introduces a whole set of new beliefs with corresponding buildings tied to them. (Heck, each building then had a unique unit tied to it... so it'd be another way to get a religious unit into the game...)

The big question, though, is that there's no way to assign a specific belief to a civilization, at least with standard XML. That's where the Lua part comes in -- if I can get the Moriya Shrine to start with a pantheon, then assign that belief to it, I should be able to give them the ability to build unique stuff through faith.

I'll probably have to take it in baby steps -- build the Onbashira as a normal UB for now, and just try to get the Moriya Shrine to start with a pantheon. Might be decent enough for a starting point, at least :3

EDIt: An alternative I thought of was to do something like "Cities connected by trade routes to the capital generate an extra +2 faith" or something. I've already got the Lua code to do this from the Geth mod, which generates a certain building in each city connected by trade route to the capital. All I'd have to do is change the building to generate faith instead of science. So since there's a few ways to make the Onbashira an "extra" unique, I probably will start brainstorming ideas for a second UU (probably based on a Great Person or civilian unit... some kind of "miko" unit)

8. 2hu2good

2hu2good Chieftain

Reading over this thread as I see it so far, I see the potential for a very impressive mod in Civ V. This is a very good idea, please don't abandon it unless you know for a fact it's impossible.

Now I'm not really an expert modder when it comes to Civ V, but I do have a couple suggestions for how you can lay this mod out. Firstly, I'd recommend looking at Touhou Jojishi for Civ IV BtS if you haven't already. It has a lot of great ideas and concepts to work off of, including some graphics that you might be able to use as bases for whatever units you guys want to design. Unlike Touhou Jojishi, however, I'd like to see the possibility of vanilla civilizations remaining in the game while the new touhou civilizations are also integrated. Jojishi doesn't do this, it takes out all vanilla civs and leaves only the nine touhou civs with their leaders. Simply put, I would love to be able to orchestrate Napoleon's French Republic vs the Scarlet Devil Municipality or the Russian Empire vs the Ice Fairy Alliance.

Also, try and find some voice actors to make sound files for the leader dialogue. I'd love to actually hear Remilia or Flandre go on little rants whenever one would contact them for diplomacy.

Lastly, if you need someone to be an alpha or beta tester for this mod, I would be happy to assist.

9. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

First, I want to thank you for putting faith in us :), the more faith the more powerfull we grow (lame reference).
    Second, checking the Touhou civIV mod (I believe it's also called "Touhou Epic") would be useful, at least I didn't think of that. About not replacing the vanilla civs, Graan's Scarlet Estate, Huitzil's Great Fairy Alliance and Palace of Earth spirits replace some vanilla civs, so I'm afraid it's impossible to have ALL the vanilla civs in-game (seeing as how much work it takes to transform a replace civ to an add civ). You could get at least 3 or 4 vanilla ones since I use the add civ method (that brings more difficult installation of the mod though). Voice actors? That is looking too far I think, but if we get far enough in this, I guess it's kind of possible.:D

10. Huitzil37

Huitzil37 Chieftain

Well, this isn't a big unified mod like Touhou Jojishi, this is a bunch of separate individual civs that can be added a la carte. And I don't know if it's possible to add voice acting, isn't the format they use for the leader scenes some weird proprietary thing nobody really gets?

Stealing the models from Jojishi is probably a good idea though.

11. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

Let's say "borrowing" his models. It sound better ;)

12. Huitzil37

Huitzil37 Chieftain

Also, here's my Great fairy Alliance mod, if you can't get it off Steam. Every time I try to upload the Palace of Earth Spirits, it says my security token expired, so I have no idea what the deal there is.

Attached Files:

13. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

Silly steam, making us go through so much trouble:rolleyes:

14. bouncymischa

Eee, someone else noticed us! X3 As has been noted, so far we're just working on individual civilization mods, as opposed to one big mod like some of the other fantasy mods that are going on here. I suppose eventually if we decide to do more comprehensive changes that might change, but small steps first. :3

Touhou Epic/Touhou Jojishi was one of the few Civ IV mods I played. X3 As was noted, though, so far our mods are just civilization additions/replacements, which means they're pretty compatible with the existing game. In fact, playtesting my Oni civilization produced the amusing results of one of my neighbours (I can't remember exactly who it was at the moment) complaining to me that they distrusted Remilia, and I do recall Askia being pleased that I had also befriended Cirno. :p (On the other hand, Cirno was constantly attacking nearby city-states, the little warmonger!)

I'd really love to get ahold of some of the unit models from Touhou Jojishi, though. However, from the sounds of it, converting Civ IV models to Civ V is akin to pulling teeth, and while we've finally started to get a decent selection of medieval, WWII, and modern models converted, fantasy models are few and far between. :( Even just getting one of the fairy units converted would be nice...

That will probably have to wait a loooooong ways down the road... I wouldn't know where to start in looking for something like that! However, I believe most (if not all) of the civ mods thus far have incoporated appropriate music arranges for the civilizations, so hopefully that'll help set the mood a bit. (I know both the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Fairy Alliance will play appropriate music during diplomatic negotiations :3)

Feedback on the mods we've made is always welcome! So far we've got four civs posted so far, and I'm hoping to get mine up this weekend. Plus, any help in brainstorming new ideas would be appreciated :3

15. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

You have just said the exact main reason why I play this game... With the mods out there currently, it is possible to establish a four-way struggle between Kim Jong-un, Hlaalu Helseth (2 different mods!), Kato Kiyomasa and Nick Clegg.

16. Huitzil37

Huitzil37 Chieftain

Anywho, my next civ I am working on will probably be Eientei, with a bonus to GP generation and increased Food yield from Great Person tile improvements. I kind of need to work on someone who is intelligent and not warlike, after doing Okuu and Cirno.

Two things I wish I could add to the mods are wonders and achievements. Wonders, I could actually do, and maybe will at some point: each civ would also add a wonder that is related to and good for them, but not exclusive to them. Great Fairy Alliance would get the Shrine of Togetherness (the shrine that Luna, Sunny and Star make from Oriental Sacred Place chapter 10 which is just THE CUTEST THING EVER), which would give, let's say, +1 Happiness per city and cause all cities to be linked to Trade Routes regardless of tile improvements or Harbors. I think. It sounds like something a togetherness-shrine would do, but doesn't particularly help Cirno better than others.

The Palace of Earth Spirits would get the Subterranean Sun wonder, which provides a huge boost to research generated in the city where it's built, along with a crippling penalty to growth there.

Eientei would get a False Moon -- probably a big defense bonus in that city, and a smaller defense penalty to every other city.

I really wish I could add achievements, though -- those are a great way to nudge people into seeing what a civ's ability lets them do that others can't. Cirno would get "Behind The Nine-Ball: As Cirno, have an opponent surrender a city to you in order to end a war they started." to nudge people to see 'hey, you don't necessarily have to use this ability on offense, you can use it to focus on culture or infrastructure and only pull out an army when an opponent attacks you for weakness, and then just fill the sky with so many guys they back down.' Okuu would get "Hell's Traffic Accident: As Utsuho Reiuji, annex two cities after dropping atomic weapons on them." to tell people 'Hey, unlike everyone else, you aren't supposed to only use nukes on cities you never plan to take and just want to deny to your opponent; you're supposed to nuke cities before you capture them so they are in unrest for less time and recover more quickly.' That sort of thing.

17. bouncymischa

Wonders wouldn't be hard to add, as long as they weren't exclusive to the civ. They're just buildings with a little additional code to define them as being unique and one-of-a-kind, and I if they're thematically related to the civ I don't see any reason you couldn't opt to include them with the civ in a mod...

I don't know if you could do anything about Achievements, though... although I seem to recall someone implementing "Magellan's Expedition" (circumnavigate the globe) in the game somehow. You could maybe use Lua to flag when certain conditions are achieved and then pass a message along to the player "You did X!", although it wouldn't be anything like a Steam Achievement...

18. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Can we put a list of already released Touhou civs here with authors and download links?

19. Apolodog

Apolodog Chieftain

A list could be made easily, but about download links:

- All of the civs are in the steam workshop (for all the good that does...) and I made a collection of all the Touhou civs recently added and I will update it with the Touhou mods being released.
    - Or perhaps you mean uploading the file to the forums? Cause I don't know if Huitzil has uploaded them to something like mediafire and all that, but I haven't.

Cheers

20. bouncymischa

I've been meaning to do that... I'll see if I can edit my original post with that information.