The Trial of Disorganizer

Shaitan

der Besucher
The Right Honorable Sirius Hale checked through his case notes one last time. It had taken a long time (much longer than he wished) to bring together everything needed to try a Lord of Fanatika in binding civil court. Several laws had needed to be rewritten and the Constitution of The North Province itself had been amended to remove some of the special protections enjoyed by the nobility. Then more laws had to be modified in neighboring Taliesin to give his court authority over the case. Finally, everything was ready to proceed.

He took out his tablet and scrawled rough copies of the letters he would be sending. His clerk would type them up and affix his seal later. There would be letters to the Princes Grandmaster and Padma, several to other involved lords, over a score to various army officers in The North and Taliesin, several to the Jedi and the one he was sweating over now. This letter pained him to write as it was to the Mission at Marillion and informed them officially that their spiritual son was demanded to stand trial for crimes so heinous they defied description.

Each letter explained how the court would proceed in the style of the ancient Al-thing. There would be no lawyers, only the presentation of evidence and testimony. There would be no jury; Hale himself would be the scales of justice for this case. Those with evidence against disorganizer would present all they had first. All those with evidence supporting the defendant would then present. Finally the lords principle and himself would direct specific questions to anybody who had testified. After this the defendant would be allowed to speak for himself. Finally, Hale would decide disorganizer's fate.

The clerk came in several hours later to find Sirius in his wing chair with a glass of sherry and a cigar. Though the judge's eyes were open he seemed to be looking a hundred miles away. The clerk quietly collected the letters to be transcribed and left the office. Hale came back to himself with a start and a yell when his cigar burned down to his finger. He extinguished his butt and quaffed his sherry and ventured home through the lonely streets of Kuhkaff.

OOC: As soon as disorganizer is returned to Kuhkaff the trial will begin. There are a lot of NPC's involved in all of this. Make sure that your post reflects who is doing the talking during trial. All charges, evidence and testimony against dis will be presented first. No responses are allowed until Sirius closes the prosecuting side of the case. When he does so only testimony and evidence for disorganizer will be allowed. When Sirius closes that portion of the trial he will call certain Lords who wish to ask disorganizer and the witnesses specific questions. Let me know by PM if you have a question for this portion of the trial or you will not be called to ask it. When the specific questions are concluded disorganizer will be allowed to speak for himself, either for or against, plead for leniency, etc. He can say anything he wants and refute any part of the testimony or evidence that has been given. Though lawyers are not allowed in the court, private (PM) advice from friends of the defendant are fine.

disorganizer - Report your presence to the court when you get back to Kuhkaff.

OOC: It may be difficult to contact dis - I sent him a PM some days ago and he still hasn't read it (according to the PM Tracker)

Octavian stepped out of the Presidential Palace. He had no regret about leaving, he had been waiting for this moment to return to the court, back to more managable days. Taking a bite out of his doughnut, he proceded to walk down Bavaria's main street, planning to stay before he took a train home.

Then, he heard running down the steps of the Palace. He turned around, to see a breathless messenger running after him, yelling his name between gasps for air.

Octavian opened the letter. Yes, disorganizer's long awaited trial. He had been invited to attend as an observer and possible witness. Rather than using his ticket back to the Augusta, he bought another for Kuhkaff...

CivGeneral suddenly gets a message in the mail requesting his presents in the trial. CivGeneral then gets his Train ready to head to Kuhkaff. CivGeneral then awaits for Grandmaster to board his train bound for Kuhkaff.

The Prince of Lancre sat at his desk, going through the day's correspondence. He sighed, reflecting on the days long past when he was just a young Baron, and knew personally all who dwelt on his lands. Now he had to manage a minor empire, spread out so wide he needed a secretary to filter his incoming mail, so he could concentrate on the most important things, while delegating much of the day-to-day running of the Principality to others. He chuckled, wondering how young Prince Grandmaster was dealing with the larger expanse of Vanir. He was startled out of his reverie by a knock on the door.

"Yes. What is it?"

"Sir," said Gregory, opening the door, "A special delivery has just arrived from Vanir, and I thought you should see it immediately."

From Vanir, Padma thought as he took the letter. What a coincidence! Here he had been just thinking about Grandmaster, and now, as if he had been conjured, he ... no, he rechecked the return address. This was not from his friend the Prince, but from one Right Honorable Sirius Hale. Who? ... Oh yes, Grandmaster had told him he was appointing this gentleman to be the judge at Sir Disorganizer's trial. Did this mean the trial was about to begin?

He tore open the letter, and quickly scanned it. Styled after the ancient Althing ... no lawyers ... no jury ...evidence ... testimony ... Hale would be the final arbiter. Yes, this would be fitting. The evidence presented, and the defense, plain and simple. No legal mumbo-jumbo to get in the way. A smile flitted across his features.

He double-checked the letter. Yes, copies had also been sent to Zimt, and to Anthrax. Sir Plexus was on a voyage, and would likely not return in time for the trial. A shame, since he had been there, and seen the devastation up close, with Padma. Still, Sir Shabbaman should be able to attend.

"Gregory", he called. "We need to pack for a trip to Kuhkaff. We shall be gone for several days, possibly weeks. Sir Disorgaizer's trial is about to begin, and I must represent the people of Tsort, who suffered so cruelly at his hand. Be sure to bring the file of testimony we have collected of his depredation and terror. The evil that was done by him, and in his name, must be made known."

Gregory nodded, and closed the door as he went to his task. Padma turned and gazed out the window of his study, looking over the hills of Kultis towards the sea.

"And then," he said softly, to himself, "as his friend and heir, I must speak in his defense."

*Zarn reads his letter to attend the trial against disorganizer*

Zarn: Well I guess it was coming sooner or later.

Disorganizer: Are you going to take me to Kuhkaff?

Zarn: Yes, and please give me your lightsaber. You have done a good job in dealing with the apprentice, but I can't let you keep it.

Disorganizer: I know.

*He tosses the lightsaber to Zarn.*

A letter reaches the Marillion. It is handed to Brother Joseph, who reads it...

Brother Adam: What is it Brother?

Brother Joseph: It is news that the trial for Disorganizer has been set. He is to be tried for his alledged crimes during the "vampire" affair.

Sister Eve: I see. I am sure that all will find him innocent.

Joseph: Yes. I believe I shall be called to give evidence. After all, along with Padma and Shabbaman, I was present at the final battle.

Adam: I hope you will not miss the wedding my Brother. It would not be the same without you.

Joseph: As for that, I would not miss it for the World, but if it is the will of Alpha that I stand by Disorganizer at that time, what must be must be.

Eve: May Alpha keep you here on that day, surely they will not need you before next week.

Joseph: I am sure you are correct. But come, you have more pressing concerns. Let us hasten for your wedding plans.

Sir SaaMs the Reedy, the Sensible and the Mellow are interupted durring a trio
Mr. Oinkkums: I thought you may want to read this
Sensible: Hmm... It seems Disorganizer is being tried for the whole Vampire thing. Well, I helped fight in that. I suppose I should go. Ill leave you two incharge. No rebelions while im away, okay kids?
Reedy: Yes, Dad
Leaving his son and grandson incharge of the city, Sir SaaM the Sensible boards his royal steamer and heads to Kuhkaff.
Mr. Oinkkums: Have fun, Wesley!
Sensible (from train) : DONT CALL ME THAT

* The large double bound oak doors close with a reverberating boom. The bailif walks up the court and stands at his podium. *

Bailiff: Herewith shall begin the case of The People of Fanatika v. Disorganizer, The Right Honorable Sirius Hale presiding. All rise!

* Sirius Hale enters the elegant courtroom through the judge's door and takes his seat at the impressive marble bench. The general murmur in the courtroom dies as he taps his gavel twice and calls for order. *

Hale: Friends, nobles, coutrymen and honored guests I welcome you to the Provincial Court of Kuhkaff. The proceedings you will witness will be quite different from what you may be used to. This court is based on a long lost tradition of the High North called an All-Thing. There will be only testimony and presentation of evidence. There will be no arguing points of law or reference to statutes. All persons who wish to present will be allowed to do so.

There will also be no defendant. disorganizer has waived his right to appear during this stage of the All-Thing. He has decided to use this time for inner reflection and to make peace with his self and his surrounds.

I now open the floor to the prosecution of disorganizer. No evidence or testimony of innocence is permitted in this portion of the trial. Any person who does so will be removed from the court. As many of the respondents are arriving from distant lands the All-Thing will remain in session and each will be given the chance to speak as they arrive, whenever they arrive.

* There is a bit of a gasp from the court. The idea that the court would simply remain open and in session, waiting for people to speak. Hale smacks his gavel again. *

Hale: Order! As I mentioned earlier these proceedings will be strange to many of you. I do not expect disorder in my court at every mention of what is an oddity to you! The floor is now open. Bailiff, select the first witness...

* The bailiff looks out on the assembled court and waits for one of the many people to raise a hand or stand up or otherwise indicate their wish to testify or present evidence. *

As the court looks expectantly from one to another, the aging Prince Padma rises, his sky-blue robes looking out of place amidst the more modern coats and ties worn by the rest of the court. Yet, one look at the stern visage, and steely gaze of the white-haired gentleman and all stop to listen to him speak.

"Your Honor, most of the crimes of disorganizer took place in Tsort, in and around the confines of the once-castle of Tsort. As the Prince of Lancre, the lands and the people of Tsort are in my care. Therefore, it is my duty to represent them here. For they suffered much under the villiany of their former lord. Were all who had charges against him to come here to present their individual cases, this courtroom would scarce hold a tenth of them, and the commerce of their district would suffer grieviously as none would remain behind.

"The case that Gregory is holding," he indicated his secretary, seated beside him, "contains the testimonies I have collected since being directed by this court to do so. To read each of them aloud for the benefit of those present would take much time, and be wearying to all. So I propose to read a sampling from them. Rest assured that while no two of these hundreds upon hundreds of testimonies are identical, they all bear a common thread: the terror, and the destruction, wrought upon them all by their former prince, disorganizer."

He reaches into the case, and pulls out a paper, apparantly at random.

"My husband, and my son, have not been seen since the evil took over Tsort", he began to read. "They went out to cut some firewood, and never returned. Their axes were found beside a half-chopped tree, and the earth was torn up, like there was a struggle. Blood was found everywhere, and trailed off in the direction of the castle."

He set the sheet down, and withdrew another.

"My herd of cattle has been greatly diminished. At first, I thought the wolves had returned, so I set myself as guard over them. I saw men, and other, hideous creatures, descend on my herd and kill them, and carry them off. Some would kill like a wild beast, rending wih claws. Others would bite the neck, and drain their blood. I only escaped by running for my life."

Another.

"Ian McKenzie was supposed to meet with me. When he didn't show up, I walked over to his farm. It was eerily quiet. Not even the dogs showed up to announce my presence. I called, but no one answered. The door of the house was ajar, so I pushed it open, and went inside. It looked like a cyclone had been through there. Things were thrown about, even heavy furniture. I had the impression they had barricaded themselves there, but whatever it was, got through to them, anyway. I found what was left of Elsie, his wife, near the woods, in a straight line to Tsort."

Still another.

"Since you fine gentlemen blew up the castle, my son, Brian, has returned. But he is not himself. He spends all day curled up on his bed like an infant, and his cries and screams through the night keep all awake."

The Prince set this last sheet down, and addressed the judge.

"I could continue like this for hours. They are all the same. Family members missing, often dead. Livestock being killed, and carried off. Survivors who can no longer speak of their horror, but mutely point towards Tsort. Witnesses of this carnage that was unleashed across their lands, many of whom have identified disorganizer as a willing participant. They know that this once noble prince was the source of their ruin amd devastation.

"I will speak of more personal matters later, but for now, my throat is dry, and I must rest my aging legs, so I will let others speak."

* The courtroom is filled with buzzing chatter as Prince Padma retakes his seat. The sample of testimonies the great lord had read cast a pall over the viewers as the scenes of horror flashed through their minds. Wisely, Hale allws the chatter to continue for some minutes before calling the court back to order. As the courtroom quiets the Bailiff sees someone else raise a hand and nods to him. As the well dressed officer approaches the witness podium the bailiff announces him. *

Bailiff: Colonel Brenson of Her Magesty's Artillery Corps.

* Brenson steps up behind the podium and looks out over the courtroom. His eyes are haunted and many people notice a small tic in his left eye. *

Brenson: Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, your honor. The tale I tell now will seem fantastic and contrived but I swear on my sword and my honor that it is the truth as best I know it.

* Brenson coughs nervously and the Bailiff hands him a glass of water. He thanks the bailiff and takes several large gulps before continuing. *

At the time of the assault on Tsort by the combined armies of Vanir, Lancre and others, I was on a specific mission for my commanding officer to acquire a large demolition charge. My return travel with the device brought me into contact with elements of the 14th Vanirian cavalry where I and my men were impressed into service for that assault. I was then assigned to the 5th horse artillery in position at Castle Tsort. There were a...prodigious...amount of pieces set against the old castle and the crews were rather lighter than desired. With the permission of the artillery commander, a Lancrean named General Briggham, I split the more experienced teams and enlisted the aid of foot soldiers to bring the guns up to full contingents.

The artillery assault was a complete success as could only be expected with that much throw power assembled. The castle was already falling before a sally from it emerged. That force was cut down by grape well before our lines. There was much cheering from our assembled forces as we all thought it was over at that point. Castle destroyed, forces eliminated, let's go home. That was not at all the case. The first thing I saw that told me the day was not yet won was a filthy young man in Tsort colors rushing out of the thickets with a torpedo strapped to his chest. Er...you good folk would be more familiar with calling it a land mine. He was essentially wearing a goodly sized bomb as a jacket.

The fiend, for I can scarce call him a man, screamed with fury and ran down on one of the 12 pound guns. The crew was as stunned as i was at the action and had scarce taken up arms when he arrived in their midst. He yelled out "Look out below!" and detonated his device. The field piece was blown from its carriage and the entire crew slain by the explosion. More of these suicidal attackers errupted from the surrounding woods from well within our perimeter and attacked other guns. Hundreds of similarly lunatic submen fell on the footmen and unhorsed cavalry. Many of our men scattered or tried to form battle lines but it was a moment of chaos. Next to me corporal Davies was borne down by a ferocious attack of a naked savage. It...bit him. Over and over. As Davies screamed in terror and pain it ripped at his flesh and tore at his neck with its teeth.
Finally Davies stopped struggling and the thing stood up and started coming towards me. I shot it in the head and finished it with my sabre. The field was lost. Defenders of Tsort rose from the very ground itself and the allied forces were in a rout. I secured the charge that was my original duty and fled into the woods. My last look at the battlefield will haunt me to the end of my days. The men...things...from Tsort were...eating...the fallen allied troops. It was horrific.

* Brenson is visibly distraught and nobody can fail to miss the muscle ticking in his eye. He is holding hard to the podium but even so his hands shake. Hale interrupts him. *

Hale: Colonel, you seem unwell. Would you care to take a short recess to compose yourself?

* Brenson shudders and sighs uncontrollably then closes his eyes and drinks some more water. When he opens his eyes he is quite a bit calmer. *

Brenson: Thank you your honor but I can continue now.

As I said, I secured my device and trundled it into the woods. There was pursuit and I slew half a dozen of the attackers. They were fierce and cunning but relied on ferocity instead of skill. Like animals. Still I was growing exhausted and my swordwork was failing. One took a bite of my arm before I dispatched him.

I continued deeper into the woods and spent a nightmare of a night hidden in a thicket. I was distraught and exhausted and coming out of my own mind. I had no sleep that night, plagued by noises and sights. By the time morning came I was trapped in the thicket and frantic. I hacked my way out but lost the travois for my device. I rigged a sling using my clothing and continued dragging it away from Tsort. Around mid morning I was again startled by good Brother Joseph appearing seemingly like magic in my confused state. The good brother calmed me and reassured me and told me that the madness of Tsort could possibly be from foul humors coming from the great salt mine. It was then that I realized the burden I carried was for a reason. The grande petard was meant to close this poisonous mine.

With Brother Joseph's assistance I recovered the travois and I headed towards the salt mine with my explosives as he continued towards the castle. I was forced into hiding several times as parties of Tsortians or even Lancreans and Vanirians hunted through the woods. By this time any who survived in the area had been corrupted so all were my enemies. I arrived at the mine shaft and took some time to determine the best method of destruction. I did not have enough slow match to safely light the device so I did my best with improvising a torch to a pike where I could detonate it from around a corner of the shaft. I prayed to Alpha as I lit the petard and that is the last thing I remember until much later.

I awoke on a horse travois, being dragged towards a field hospital. Men marched along side the horse convoy in ragged clothing and wearing haunted expressions but the madness was out of their eyes. I do not know how I survived the explosion. I had somehow been blown clear of the shaft to just inside the mine where I was found by the hospitalers. There were 3 bends in that shaft from where I set the device to where I was found. The shaft collapsed to within inches of where I lay. I was concussed but had no broken bones or other serious injury. My original detail were all dead or missing. I helped as best I could to gather the dead. We had to try to match up parts. There were none who had simply been killed. All had been defouled, dismembered, devoured...

* Brenson covers his face with his hands. His shoulders shake as he sobs deeply. Hale motions to the bailiff who then approaches to remove Brenson from the podium. As he gently pulls at Brenson's arm the colonel puts his hands from his face and shakes off the bailiff's help. With tears openly falling down his face he continues.*

Brenson: I'm sorry, it's very...difficult. I am finished but for one more statement.

I have not slept through a night since that time. I awake with cold sweats from terrific nightmares. I fear the darkness like some pitiful toddler. I cannot stomach meat of any sort and the sight of blood makes me bawl uncontrollably. I am a shadow of what I was and I am typical of the Tsort survivors. I have with me affidavits from 13 Vanirian survivors that I have collected for the court. There would likely have been more but I did not start searching out fellow survivors until a relatively short time ago. Of the 94 Vanirian soldiers and cavalrymen I have identified that left Tsort alive, 31 have since taken their own lives and 12 others died as a result of their injuries. 12 have since died in action or through normal means and 14 have disappeared. The remainder refuse to discuss the events. I have all of this documented and submit them to the court.

* Brenson steps down from the podium and walks slowly out of the court. There is deadly silence for several moments. *

Hale: Court will recess for one hour for the afternoon meal and to give me time to review the submitted documents.

* Many other witnesses had come forward with similar tales of the attrocities committed upon themselves or their families. The testimonies has petered out and a full day passed with no offer of new witness. Hale announces that if there are no more presentations in the next day the trial will move on to the defense testimonies. *

* The Bailiff casts the roll and announces the last testimonial. *

Bailiff: Will Brother Joseph of the Spiritualists please take the stand to give testimony.

* Excited murmurs erupt in the court. There has been much speculation on what would be presented by the Spiritualists as disorganizer had long been associated with that religion. *

Hale: (Banging mallet) Order! There will be order in this court or I will clear it! Brother Joseph, please give your testimony.

Brother Joseph takes the stand, he is resolute as he takes a vow before the court...

Brother Joseph: I, Brother Joseph of the Vanirian Mission of Spiritualists, swear by the Divine Alpha and his Angels that what I about to say is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I offer into evidence the statements given to me by Brother Fox and Sister Dana, our Special Investigators, who were sent to Tsort Castle on the orders of Brother Adam. They report that the denizens of Tsort on their arrival acted very strangely. They had a obsessive fear of sunlight, their food, always meat, was dripping with barely cooked blood, and there were no mirrors at all in the castle. They did not see the master of the Castle, Disorganiser after his initial greeting. Mostly they were with the one called James, the whole time. Before the sun went down, they were sent to a bedchamber. In the middle of the night, they were rudely awakened by what Brother Fox describes as "a man of superhuman strength" who broke down their locked door and used some form of hypnotism on Sister Dana. This is why she remembers no more of what happened next. Brother Fox testifies that the attacker, named Ivan, made to bite Dana, and if it were not for the intervention of James, who stopped him with a greater display of strength, he does not know what would have happened. James told them to leave the Castle immediately. They made their escape.

Joseph looks visibly shaken as he hands the baliff the statements from his fellow Spiritualists. He takes a breath and begins to speak once more...

Brother Joseph: I now come to the events I personally witnessed when I journeyed to the Castle of Tsort during the conflict between Disorganizer's forces and the forces of Grandmaster...

Brother Joseph: I remember those days so well. It was during the wars with the Americans of Denver. Brother Adam had just been returned to the Mission after sustaining a terrible wound on the battlefield. Sister Eve was tending to our striken Brother. Sister Dana and Brother Fox were away on a mission to find Cassandra the prophetess. In this time of increasing crisis, there were only a handful of Spiritualists at the Mission. Brother William and I, helped by the young James, were very busy.
For my seniority, I was introduced to a man called Master Shaghorn, who was a miner. It was from he that the first seeds of suspicion on the condition of the people at Tsort came to me. He told me of a terrible experience he had as a young man, involving noxius gasses that made men mad. It was then that I remembered a passage in our holy book, The Book of Spiritualism that also made mention of such a phenomenon. Discussing the matter with Brother Rudy, we concluded that the salt mines beneath Tsort Castle might have such madness-inducing gasses as well and that may hold the key to Disorganizer's belief of vampirism. I resolved to journey to Tsort and see for myself.

On the way to the Castle in the forest before it, I came accross a wretched and half mad man. Calming him down, he told me his name of Brenson, an engineer in the Fanatikan armies. He must have seen terrible sights to unhinge his mind so. When I was satisfied that I had calmed him down and we had talked on the possibility that the madness was caused by underground gasses, we parted company as friends.
When I arrived at Tsort Castle, I was greeted by a terrible sight of unimaginable carnage. All around were the bodies of forces led by Prince Padma and Shabbaman. The forces of Disorganizer had completely wiped them out. I was reeling with shock at this sight, and it would have been so easy for me to flee, for the Tsort population seemed to preoccupied with the dead.
But I could not leave. I resolved that I had to try and stop further death and destruction. And so, saying a prayer, I walked out into the open and surrendered myself to them.
I identified myself as Brother Joseph of the Spiritualists. They apparently were not impressed, and moved to attack me. But then their captain interceded.
"No, our master has said that Spiritualists are not to be harmed. Take him to the master."
I was taken deep underground, but instead of being taken to see Disorganizer, I was put in a cell with the captured Padma and Shabbaman. Thus we all awaited our fate.
Above, Brother Grandmaster and Lord Master Zarn were arriving with fresh troops to battle the forces of Disorganizer, but we were oblivious of this fact.
We were feeling very apprehensive during our imprisonment. It could have been the gasses affecting us, I do not know. We lost all track of time, and did not know how long we had been in the cell. All the time, I clung to the faith that Disorganizer would not harm us, although my cellmates were not convinced.
We were brought into the presence of Disorganizer at long last and what happened next is what makes me believe that Disorganizer is innocent of the charges against him...

Brother Joseph takes a drink of water before continuing. He is obviously shaken by having to retell the harrowing story...

Brother Joseph: We were taken to see Disorganizer, it was like seeing the end of a great civilisation, with its emperor staying until the last. The same James who had saved Brother Fox and Sister Dana those weeks before, had been made commander of Disorganizer's forces. He entered and said that the battle was lost and that the enemy forces had entered the fortress.
Disorganizer made to surrender, so as not to have more blood spilled. But before the order could go out, Zarn and his Jedis arrived. They knocked Commander James aside and
were about to slay Disorganizer, but I stopped them and told them of the surrender.
But James would not accept this. He tried to kill noble Padma with a poisoned blade. If not for Disorganizer, who stopped him by taking the poison himself and putting the blade into the wretch, Padma would be dead right now.
The death of James led to a remarkable transformation among the ranks of Disorganizer's army. Gone were the signs of vampirism in them, and in some, they had lost all memory of the entire event. I believe those were the luckiest ones.
Moments later, Brenson detonated an explosive charge and brought the Castle to a final end. We were fortunate to escape in time. Disorganizer was poisoned badly by James' blade and we had to take him to the Marillion quickly. I believe that Disorganizer's guilt at himself was more to blame for his decline than any poison. But thanks to the tender care of Sister Eve, he managed to recover.

This is the testimony of what I personally witnessed. I truly believe that Disorganizer is innocent. And this is why.

James was behind the whole affair. I believe he had a powerful influence on the people of Tsort. Disorganizer was used a the figurehead, while James worked his plan behind the throne, as it were. The gasses that were underneath the Castle weakened their grip on reality, and James used a form of mesmerism to control them into the belief they were vampires. James had a well devised plan. One which would not allow any interference. Thus when Brother Fox and Sister Dana were threatened, he actually had to save them and send them away, so as not to ruin his plans by the unwanted attention their deaths would bring.
But James was not immune to the gasses effect himself. When all his planning and plotting had come to naught, he snapped and tried to kill Padma. His control on Disorganizer had been slipping all this while, and at last Disorganizer could act of his own free will. And what was this act? Why, to put himself in danger to save Padma.

Joseph pauses as he wrestles with an unspoken question.

There were many accounts of supernatural occurances during this event. Many believe that the forces that they battled were vampires. When James died, it did seem that he aged a thousand years in seconds. And his army did seem to transform back to humans at this time. As to this, I cannot say for sure. I myself saw James age thusly, but I cannot say if it was truly as it was or the product of the gasses. The evidence is deep underground, buried under the tons of collapsed stone and wood that used to be Tsort Castle. All I can say for sure is that Disorganizer acted as an honourable man when James' control over him weakened. Disorganizer is not to blame for any of this horrendous happenings in Tsort. That is my testimony in Alpha's name.

The doors open... suddenly a big silence goes through the attendants of the court session as they turn their head.
Disorganizer enters the room and walks to the front...
People start muttering...

Disorganizer: "Highest Court, I herewith plead guilty for all charges braught up against me. I will not accept any excused of the defendants and i beg you not the listen to them. They are wrong... I WAS aware of what i did. I WAS in controll. Even if i was influenced by the bad, i SHOULD have been able to controll it. And to fight. I now give myself into your humble hands and am willing to receive the punishment you see fit"

The Prince of Vanir enters the courtroom. A hush falls over the crowd as he approaches the bench to give his testimony.

GM: Good people of Fanatika, Your Honor Justice Hale, I come this day to speak of the good and the evil of a man who I have known my entire natural-born life. His name is Disorganizer, and he is both a good and a great man who made a mistake.

The Prince pauses, allowing his statement to sink in.

GM: Lancre was built upon a foundation of strength and determination, coming from Sir Disorganizer himself. But the Castle Lancre was built on a far different foundation: a foundation carved from a salt mine filled with toxic gas. It was this gas that turned my good friend Sir Disorganizer into the monster you have all heard of. I witnessed myself the terrible deeds he committed; I was at the front line in the siege of Tsort Castle, fighting alongside my men, and those of Lancre and Anthrax. I myself was hit tiwce, once by friendly gunfire, and again by shrapnel from an enemy bomb. I was there when the Castle fell, when the "vampires" were destroyed. And I will tell you, the horrors that befell us were not Lord Disorganizer's doing! He had no hand in the matter; he was a pawn, a puppet to a puppetmaster, with no control of his own actions. This I can assure every one of you, with my word as a Prince and a man.

Again silence falls over the crowd. The Prince sees that the crowd has been subdued, and decides to give his final statement.

GM: I fought against Disorganizer's onslaught. I destroyed the Castle Tsort. But I also grew up with him, served under him as a Lancrean general, and fought alongside him in many a battle. Therefore, it is the suggestion of the man who knew the Lord best that he be punished. And I suggest his punishment as thus: to atone for his crimes against the populace of Fanatika, he will be handed over to Vanir for a 1-year sentence to be served out either as an inprisoned guest of the Vanir Court, or as an enlisted fighter in the Vanirian army. This is my suggestion, Your Honor. But I leave the decision in the hands of the court. But know this: regardless of what Disorganizer says, he could not have avoided his actions. He is guilty, yes, but only as a forced accomplice.

The Prince of Vanir steps down from the bench, salutes the Judge, and walks briskly out of the courtroom.

NOTE: I had a server problem when posting this. It should come between disorganizer's post and that of Grandmaster.

* The courtroom is in an instant uproar following disorganizer's statement. Judge Hale pounds his gavel but the crowd is beyond control. The bailiff enlists the assistance of the attendant Vanirian guard and clears the courtroom, leaving only disorganizer and Hale. *

Hale: That was quite inflammatory testimony, Lord disorganizer. I will of course take it into consideration along with all of the other testimony. I trust you understand why I cannot accede to your request not to accept that other testimony?

disorganizer: No, I do not. You have no need of other testimony. I am the defendant and have pled guilty. I have testified that I acted criminally and with knowledge of my actions.

Hale: Yes, this is so. However, there are two great reasons why I will not hinge this trial on your testimony alone. First, you yourself requested this trial. That tells me that you are not convinced of your own guilt. If you were you would have taken a noble perogative to self sensure yourself instead of involving the machinations and expense of this court. You have made it my responsibility, not your own, to determine your guilt or innocence. Second, it is entirely possible that you are of a scattered mind. Whether that is so and if it was your state during the commission of your crimes or now during your plea of guilt is another burden for my decision.

disorganizer: You will make a grave mistake if you do not accept my testimony as the whole and unadulterated truth, your honor. A very grave mistake.

Hale: That is entirely possible. In a career as long as mine I have made mistakes before. I assure you I will do my best to not make one in this case. Now, tell me all that you remember of your activities in Tsort.

* disorganizer begins telling the judge the tale of the dark days of Tsort. Hale frequently interrupts for clarification and it is many hours before the interview is completed. When the gallery is again allowed into the courtroom disorganizer is not there. Hale announces that this will be the final day for testimony on disorganizer's behalf. *

Top Bottom