1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Turn Time is killing me

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zenstrive, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I think the turn time on this game is just...immersion breaking. It feels too long, with activities between turns lacking. In turn 240, on CiV, I can do many things between turns, like buying stuffs, planting a new city and boosting it right away with buying things, and checking spies.

In here, so far, I only move units, buy some unit, and seeing that district productions are still ongoing...20 more turns. Then I click next turn, and wait 3-5 minutes.

3-5 minutes that feels like an eternity.

Once I can actually boil water and make coffee while waiting for a turn!

And AI is not so much smarter anyway! parking units on my tiles, blocking my builders from cutting those trees on tiles that need to be liberated for planting districts!

Gah!

I don't remember waiting turn time on CiV and CiV:BE this boring.

2. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

3. rastak

rastak Emperor

How does immersion play into it? You feel like your building a civilization when the turns are fast but they slow down it's like you're at a computer?

I noticed things are much slower on my laptop than my desktop. There is enough for me to look at during the AI turn that I don't mind too much.

4. King_Course

King_Course Prince

Don't have a problem with turn times at all, it must be your computer struggling. Mind you I have put fast movement and fast combat on, or else it's a drag to have to sit and watch all the slow moving around.

5. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I have turn on fast everything, and still feels it turn so slow.

Now I remember that part of the feeling of slowness is that there is just fewer AI interactions than before. In CiV, I would be interrupted by the AIs every turn, God, I remember the AI insisting of an unproftable trade every turn, making you feel you're interacting with them.

Now that you don't have to renew relationship level with the city states,
    have to actually build spies otherwise not interacting at all with the spionage,
    and have to actually buy missionaries on your own otherwise you miss it,
    the turn time feel very very empty, to me.

The pathetic notification icons on the lower right doesn't help either. It's just not very functional right now. Give me stack of those icons, instead of lumping them together, making it barely functional and confuse everyone.

6. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Sorry, maybe it's your English but I have no idea what you are talking about.

7. ScorpionTDC

ScorpionTDC Chieftain

Switch to strangic view before you start the AI's turn. The entire game moves significantly faster

8. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I've found Civ VI turn loading times to be significantly shorter than Civ V.

5 minutes/turn? Will all due respect, it sounds like you are playing Civ on a potato.

Thank god for that.

You'd rather have the game auto-build your military units, settlers and workers too?

There are some issues with espionage, but letting the player decide how much he is willing to spend (time and hammers) on this feature is something good.

Just like in Civ V.

In any case, there are more ways to spend faith in Civ VI than in Civ V, its up to the player to decide how and when to use this resource... which again, is something good.

It sounds like you are just pressing "next turn" without taking time to decide how, where and when to spend the resources your Civ is generating.

You don't have to press the next turn button everytime it appears mate.

I do agree that UI needs a lot of work.

9. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

No, I do everything too, micromanagement wise, and then I press the next button.
    Still, less thing that I want to do between turn.
    Buy buildings? No, you have to wait for this districts to be built first.
    Improve tiles? Gosh, you're out of money and the builders are not done being produced yet.
    Arrange available trade routes? Done in 3 seconds.
    Then click next turn. And watch youtube videos on the phone while the turn is...turning.

And no AI interaction again this turn? Sigh. At least Shaka and Sejong was insistent on offering me those research agreements I heartily reject everytime.

10. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Turn times on my computer are faster than CiV, I don't know what kind of computer you would need to get turn times up to 5 minutes. I tried a 5 years old laptop below minimum specs just out of curiosity, and nowhere near 5 minutes.

11. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

It takes time because AI script is very deep and complex. Oh wait...

skyclad likes this.
  12. Huaojozumakurwa

Huaojozumakurwa Chieftain

Playing standard settings, quick combat and movement on, I get around 10-15 second turn times in the late game. Just enough for me to check the city demographics screen and see that the war weariness bug/feature is still rampant.

Playing on i7 4790k @4.0 Ghz and 980ti.

13. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Around 20 seconds on i5 4670k @3.4 Ghz and 970. (Large map)

14. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

i7 4790 @ 3.60 GHz and GeForce GTX 760. Around 15 seconds in the Modern/Information Era on a Large, Continents map with the default amount of civs.

Seems reasonable, and wouldn't want to see it reduced if it meant less improvement done on the AI front.

15. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

Are you using any mod? Or custom content? That length is not normal.

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You've, um, stopped talking about turn times, and you haven't given your hardware specs.

You've got to give people something otherwise it might lead to speculation that you started this thread off just to vent.

17. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Depends on what map size you're playing. I'm playing on a huge map with 11 opponents and turn times take long (= usually a minute, sometimes two if the AI's are at war) from the Medieval Era onward, but that is to be expected, right?

It was way worse in Civ 5 though.

18. WankIT

WankIT Chieftain

I think my turn times are slow as well. 30 seconds...but its the largest map and the max amount of civs.
    One thing, I saw a memory slider in the options, sliding that all the way to the right, does that make a difference?

And whats this: "switch to strangic view before you start the AI's turn"

What is strangic view?

19. WankIT

WankIT Chieftain

One thing, is that it seemed to be 30 seconds since the start of the game. Its annoying cause I just bought a new gaming laptop just for CIV (I dont play other games other than NHL on my xbox).

I hvae a i7-6820HK, Geforce GTX 980M with 8GB GFFR5, 16 GB RAM. I am very surprised how slow the turns are taken from the start and surprised there isnt more discussion on this matter.

20. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador