The Twelve Clans of Ethiopia

You ought to be able to find Rise and Rule pretty easily over in the Completed Modpacks subforum of the Creation and Customization forum here.

The download could take a while if you're on dial-up. It's over 100mb if I remember correctly.

Hooray said:
You ought to be able to find Rise and Rule pretty easily over in the Completed Modpacks subforum of the Creation and Customization forum here.

The download could take a while if you're on dial-up. It's over 100mb if I remember correctly.

Do I need to download special picture/text files to add to the mod?

All the icons and such should be included in the download.

The only "extras" you need are some of the extra units that came with PTW. If you bought and installed the original Play The World expansion, then there's no problem. Otherwise, you'll need to find and download those too.

------------------

The period immediately following the destruction of Japan was a time of celebration. Ethiopia now ruled the entire world, and there would never again be anymore wars or strife. The Council of Chieftains declared the beginning of the Age of Enduring Peace, a never-ending era of prosperity and peace.

The population took to great projects of building, trade, and education. Schools and markets flourished in every town. And, in the year 540 AD, Clan Aksum constructed a great temple dedicated to the new era:

Soon enough, Ethiopia entered a distinctly new era:

In 670 AD, Clan Aksum built another monument dedicated to commemorating the everlasting peace of Ethiopia:

As new ideas flourished in the schools and universities, some began to question if Ethiopia was truly the only land in the world. After all, no one truly knew what lay beyond the great Ocean. Some claimed that the world simply ended after a few hundred miles, but most were not satisfied with this theory.

Around 750 AD, about 300 years after the Age of Enduring Peace began, technological advancements made possible the construction of a ship that was theoretically capable of crossing the Ocean. So, the Council ordered the creation of such a ship and sent it to the East.

However, this ship was never heard from again. The disappointment throughout Ethiopia was so profound that it brought an end to the Golden Age which had lasted for over 300 years.

Most gave up on the idea of crossing the Ocean, declaring it to be impossible. However, Chieftain Hooray of Aksum and Chieftain Menelik of Matara never gave up hope. In 780 AD, they ordered the construction of a new ship, and named it the Voyage of Discovery for it alone would discover the secrets of the seas.

The Voyage of Discovery headed East and followed the route of the original ship.

Soon, in 800 AD, the ship returned to Ethiopian with exciting news that it had discovered an island! It was cold and lifeless, but the discovery was exciting nonetheless. The island was thus named Cold Island. The Council sent some colonists to occupy Cold Island, and put the new colony under the control of Clan Ham

The Voyage of Discovery continued its mission further to the East. In the year 840 AD, it came across another landmass, but this one was very different from Cold Island. This land was fertile, and there were even some signs of civilization....

--------------------------------

Notes: Well there was a long period of basically nothing for a while. But the Golden Age helped me climb my way up the tech tree until Longships were available, which are the first ships in RAR capable of crossing the Ocean. Unfortunately they can still sink in Ocean tiles, though.
The end of the GA coincided with the sinking of the first Longship, so I figured people were disappointed by it. By the way, the GA seems to be much longer in RAR.

could you please post again. i really like your story and i think your idea with the 12 clans is awesome. GOod luck and GoOd story. :goodjob:

---------------

The news spread quickly. Many Ethiopians were at first indifferent, and some skeptical enough to say it wasn't true at all. But, before long, the whole nation was shouting with excitement, wonder, and even a little fear that a whole other world had been discovered beyond the Ocean!

In the year 840 AD, Chief Hooray of Aksum himself traveled to the West to meet with Xerxes, the king of the Western World. When he returned, he announced to all of Ethiopia that they were now friends and trading partners with the Kingdom of Persia.

Thus began the Age of Exploration. The Voyage of Discovery and other ships were sent to explore and map as much of the Western World as possible.

It soon became apparent that the Kingdom of Persia did not rule over all of the West. To the south of Persia, the Voyage of Discovery encountered the French, who were an inferior nation, but possessed a few technologies that Ethiopia was willing to purchase.

Much farther to the south is discovered the Russians who are a mighty nation and are even nearly equals with the great Ethiopia in terms of technology and power!

Chieftain Hooray traveled to Russia and established diplomacy with their queen, Catherine. However, shocking news awaited him upon his return to Aksum. The Ethiopian ambassadors to Persia delivered the news that the Persians had utterly destroyed the nation of France! Apparently the Western World was a continent of turmoil and conflict, unlike the eternally peaceful Ethiopia.

Coincidentally, this was also at the same time that the first ambassadors from the nation of Siam arrived in Ethiopia. The Siamese lived to the West of Persia. They expressed no surprise at the news of France's destruction since they were well aware of their neighbor's aggression.

The year 1000 AD arrived, marking the beginning of a new millenium, but also marking the end of an era. The journey of the Voyage of Discovery came to an end in this year when all of the Western World's coasts had been mapped. The ship returned to Clan Matara where it was decomissioned and placed in a museum which commemorated the Age of Exploration.

Here is a map from 1000 AD showing the known world of the time.

A new age was beginning in Ethiopia. One of scientific achievement. This scientific era was sparked off by the emergence of two of the greatest geniuses in all the history of Ethiopia: Tekla Hymanot, and Zaki Sherif.

These two geniuses worked together and established Ethiopia's greatest scientific institutions in Aksum: Leonardo's Workshop, and Copernicus' Observatory. With their research, they also invented a new type of ship that would far exceed the legendary Voyage of Discovery.

A man named Magellan was put in charge of this new ship, and sent on a new voyage of exploration. This time, however, they would explore to the East. After all, if there was a Western World, then perhaps there was also an Eastern World.

In the year 1120 AD, Magellan's ship did indeed discover a new continent to the East.

Diplomatic relations were quickly established with the nations of the Eastern World. In rapid succession, Ethiopia discovered the nations of India, Egypt, Inca, England, Ottoman, and Germany.

It was about the same time that Ethiopia perfected its map-making technology, and thus was able to obtain accurate maps of every nation it had met. In the year 1150 AD, The Council in Aksum unveiled the first full map of the entire world, and the people were amazed at how vast the world was. Ethiopia seemed but a meager speck dwarfed by the wide seas and massive continents of the Eastern and Western Worlds.

-----------------

Notes: Some nice, peaceful, builder turns for the most part. However, it was quite refreshing to have something *new* happen after so many centuries of being isolated.
Getting one SGL seems like a miracle. Getting TWO one after the other is almost incomprehensible. After Leonardo's completed normally in Aksum, I used the leaders to rush Cop's and Magellan's in Aksum and Matara respectively.
I'm always very impatient to get to Map Making (or Navigation in normal Civ3) so I can see the whole world. I usually feel better once that black stuff is gone and there's no mystery about the foreign lands. However....Egypt is freaking HUGE, and I'm just a little intimidated seeing it....

EDIT: I just now realized that I completely mixed up my references to East and West. I have now fixed this.

Just in case anyone gets confused by the Eastern/Western World thing, since on the minimap both continents are to the West of Ethiopia, I've altered a minimap to show the world as the Ethiopians would have seen it.

Note that the other continents are actually right next to each other, but I had to alter it like this because I didn't like having parts of the continents jutting out from the sides of the map. It looks cleaner this way, but it's less accurate.

------------

Ethiopia had just discovered the Eastern World, but unlike the discovery of the Western World, there was no sense of excitement like before. Instead, the Ethiopians felt only trepidation and fear. The Eastern World was dominated by the massive Egyptian Empire which was nearly twice the size of Ethiopia.

Egypt was a very aggressive and powerful nation. In the year 1200 AD, Chieftain Hooray received news that the Ottoman Kingdom had been utterly destroyed by the unstoppable Egyptian military.

War proved to be a constant presence in the Eastern World. In 1220 AD, the Republic of India declared war on Egypt. Apparently they had been close allies with the Ottomans and hoped to avenge them. Ethiopia could only watch helplessly as Egypt retaliated and slowly overran all of India. After more than a century of warfare, India lost its final battle in 1355 AD and suffered the same fate as the Ottomans.

Chieftain Hooray looked upon Egypt and was filled with anger and fear. The Egyptian Empire conquered and oppressed every nation that it encountered. It would be only a matter of time before they controlled their entire continent. What would Egypt do after that? Surely, Hooray decided, Egypt would look to conquer Ethiopia as well.

In the Council, Chieftain Hooray tried to convince the other Chieftains that it was necessary to strengthen Ethiopia's military and invade Egypt before it was too late. The Chieftains ignored him, however. Ethiopia had been at peace for over 900 years; why should they now disrupt the eternal tranquility of their nation? The Chieftains claimed that Egypt would be satisfied with its own continent, and that Ethiopia would never be under any threat.

Hooray saw that there was no convinving the Eleven Chieftains. Undoubtedly they would continue to delude themselves even as Egyptian soldiers marched onto Ethiopian shores. Hooray resolved not to let that happen.

In 1380 AD, Hooray declared his intention to take back his position as King of Ethiopia. The Eleven Chieftains would not stand for this. They gathered their armies and declared war upon Chieftain Hooray and his Clan of Aksum. A five-year civil war resulted. Aksum was the most powerful clan and was eventually able to subdue the other clans. However, with some diplomacy, Chieftain Hooray negotiated the surrender of several clans without the need for violence.

In 1385 AD, with the civil war settled, King Hooray reascended to his throne in Aksum. The Council building was restored to its status as the Royal Palace once again. The Council itself was dissolved, and the Chieftains were reduced to governing their individual clans once again.
With all obstacles out of his way, King Hooray began building up Ethiopia's military for the eventual war wtih Egypt.

However, for many years it seemed that Egypt had given up its aggressive expansion. King Hooray decided not to rush to war and waited to see what Egypt would do before he took any action.

The peace did not last very long after all. In 1440 AD, Egypt declared war on its neighbor, the Inca. King Hooray saw an opportunity and hoped to invade Egypt while it was distracted with its war against Inca. Ethiopia's military was not yet ready, so King Hooray held back for a little while longer.

King Hooray's prediction was proven right in the year 1465 AD when Egypt, not satisfied with oppressing the Incans, declared war upon Ethiopia.

King Hooray immediately sent his armies to attack Egypt. He knew that Ethiopia's forces were not large enough to subjugate Egypt, but the invasion could not be delayed at this point. Hopefully Egypt was preoccupied with Inca enough that Ethiopia's army could deal a serious defeat to the Egyptian Empire.

King Hooray also sent his ambassadors to England and convinced them to declare war on Egypt, since they would undoubtedly be next if the Inca were defeated.

In the year 1495 AD, Ethiopia's fleet arrived off the coast of Egypt. The army began its invasion just outside of the Egyptian capitol of Thebes. After a fierce battle, the city was captured.

The Egyptian government retreated inland towards Memphis.

Acting swiftly, the Ethiopian army moved north and captured Heliopolis with its legendary Great Lighthouse.

Egypt could not ignore Ethiopia's invasion any more. They ended their aggression against the Inca, and focused all of their attention on regaining Thebes and Heliopolis. The Egyptian armies were massive and well organized. It became impossible for Ethiopia's army to make any further advances. Instead, they were barely able to hold on to the few gains they had made so far.

In 1530 AD, some unfortunate news reached King Hooray. England had been utterly destroyed by Egypt. The war had completely backfired. Egypt had not been subjugated. Egypt had not even been weakened. In fact, Egypt was now more powerful than it had ever been.

The army made one last desperate attempt to capture the Egyptian government at Memphis, but the attack failed miserably. The army retreated to Thebes and fortified there, waiting for the inexorable Egyptian forces to come after them.

In 1535 AD, King Hooray decided that the Egyptian War was no longer sustainable. He sent envoys to Memphis and managed to negotiate a peace treaty with the Egyptian Empire.

The war had ended in failure, and King Hooray was filled with shame. But he knew that the war had been the right thing to do. Egypt needed to be stopped! But, perhaps he and Ethiopia were simply incapable of such an incredible task...

------------

I like this story alot, hopefully through diplomacy you can destroy those acursed Egiptians with the help of the Western Continent's inhabitants! Or maybe you could beat them with lots of artillery? Whatever happens good story!

As far as I understand, you and Egypt are in late Middle Ages and you rule the seas. If so, it is very far from Trenchers who are the first troops with Def. 5 - it means that their cities are vulnerable to attack. I guess Egypt is in Republic or other pop-rush government - it would mean that probably they have tons of cash.

Under these assumptions, you need 6 types of units:

- a nice bunch of Colonial Marines (they come with Flintlock), their attack is 6; if you far from it, you must wait until you discover Flintlock

- a nice fleet of offensive warships to support amphibious troops (preferably Corvettes and also some Sloops-O-War because of their enslavement ability, you will need Naval Cannon)

- some artillery (Cannons, Bombards are also fine; if you have anything else - upgrade)

- some cavalry

- some defensive troops (even Pikemen will do)

- some transport ships (Galleons), but you may have enough of them already.

First of all, I would get rid of captured cities - e.g. switch to a pop-rushing government (Religious trait rocks!), pop-rush some units until they have size of 1 (after that you may switch to previous govt) and give them e.g. to Incans. Egypt will retake them soon but apart from their Wonders they will be rather useless.

Part one: diversionary attack. Move your invasion fleet next to one-two small, low-culture towns (to avoid culture flips), preferably surrounded by Forests, Jungle, Hills or so (to slow down counterattacks). After your peace treaty expires, redeclare war and bribe other civs to do the same. In the first turn of the war start naval bombardments, then amphibious attack and after you take the cities unload defenders, artillery and cavalry and rush barracks ASAP (and Harbors, if necessary). Probably Egyptians will throw anything they will have to retake the cities but you should be able to contain them, they should be good MGL farms.

Part two: not only seas should be yours but also coasts. If you see any coastal city without any Great Wonder: warships bombard, Marines take and raze. If it has a Great Wonder: take, sell everything and give to Incans (I hate razing wonders!). Repeat until Egypt doesn't have any usable coastal cities, it should bring you a lot of money and some MGL's. You may devote some warships to pillage their coastal improvements, especially on resources.

Part three: if you feel Egypt is weak enough, you may start a land offensive.

Warning: I am also a Monarch player and I am not absolutely sure it will work (but it should!). However, in my last game (as China) I have produced some amphibious troops and definitely it was not a waste, even at some point I had to cease using them because I did not want my enemies (Persians) to get too weak :crazyeye: If you cannot wait until Colonial Marines, you may skip this part and make a slow land invasion.

Best regards,

Slawomir Stachniewicz.

Thanks for the response. I'm actually in the late industrial age as of now. I've fought several wars with Egypt already. Some successful, some not. I've devised a strategy that may win more definitively the next time (for one thing, I need to use more artillery). I may take your advice on the amphibious troops, though. However, I've basically put my game on hold until this story catches up to it.

I hope to have another update later today

-------------

Following the end of the Egyptian War, Ethiopia was filled with outrage against their King. The war had fallen far short of its goals, and too many young men had died in the Battle of Memphis. Many were simply angry that Ethiopia had fought its first war after 1000 years of peace and prosperity.

King Hooray refused to step down from his throne in Aksum. However, he knew that his mistakes had diminished the strength of Ethiopia. So, he relinquished most of his power back to the Eleven Chieftains, who quickly and eagerly restored The Council. The Chieftains did not restore the old Democracy, though, but instead gathered the country's power and influence into their own hands and set up a Republic-style government with The Council as the land's sole authority.

A century of peace lasted following the end of the war and the establishment of the Republic. It was not to last, however. Egypt made open threats against Ethiopia, demanding the return of Thebes and Heliopolis. The Council refused.
In 1640 AD, Egypt decided to take back Thebes and Heliopolis by force. Their Knights struck quickly and without warning.

The defenses of the cities barely held out against the initial attack. But they knew that they wouldn't last long against the mighty armies of Egypt...

The Council panicked. They were not prepared for another war, and even if they had been they knew nothing about waging an effective war.

At this time, King Hooray had gone into seclusion. Leaving the affairs of state to The Council, he retreated to the Forbidden Palace in Kyoto and spent his days there planning for when he might restore the glory of Ethiopia.
One day the Chieftains interrupted King Hooray's solitude and demanded that he help them resolve the situation with Egypt. He told them that it would be impossible to hold on to Thebes and Heliopolis, and that it would be best abandon the cities and evacuate the troops that were stationed there.

This was not an acceptable solution to The Council. They wanted to punish Egypt for this war that had been forced on them, so they devised a more cunning plan. They did decide to evacuate the armies and abandon the cities. However, before doing so, they made an agreement with the Republic of Germany. The agreement was that Germany would take control of Thebes and Heliopolis, thus keeping them out of Egypt's hands. The thinking was that Egypt would not dare start another war with Germany while it was still at war with Ethiopia.

For a while the plan worked. Egypt couldn't afford a war with Germany.

The war between Egypt and Ethiopia lasted for several years, with very few battles fought on either side, and even those battles were on the sea. Ethiopia was the premier naval power of the world, and thus won nearly every battle.

Some degree of prosperity returned to Ethiopia after the war. The most significant event during this time was the foundation of a great trading company in Aksum that expanded Ethiopia's economic power greatly.

Advances were made in commerce and science. New industries using the latest technology began appearing in every town. Before long, Ethiopia entered into a new era of industrialization.

While events were going well in Ethiopia, the Eastern and Western Worlds were torn by several more wars. In the Western World, Persia had begun a massive invasion of Russia and it seemed as if Russia would collapse at any moment. More worrisome was Egypt's declaration of war against the Inca and the Germans in the Eastern World. The Council allocated money and supplies to the governments of Inca and Germany, but it was too little too late.
Egypt seized its cities of Thebes and Heliopolis quickly, as well as several other German cities. And, in the year 1708 AD, they succeeded in wiping out the Incans entirely.

Ethiopia shuddered in fear at the might of Egypt. Now the entire Eastern World was ruled by a single nation. Egypt was easily three times the size of all Ethiopia now. The Council, unsure of what to do, began losing its grip over the country. Rebellions began to spring up everywhere. The people were tired of the inefficient way that The Council ruled.

King Hooray saw his opportunity to retake power. Gathering the armies of Clan Aksum and Kyoto, he suppressed the rebellions, and removed the Chieftains from power. Within five years, he once again claimed his throne in Aksum. This time, however, the people refused to accept King Hooray's rule. They had begun to develop notions of basic freedoms that belonged to everyone regardless of whether they were peasants or merchants or kings. They demanded that King Hooray adopt an official Constitution that guaranteed basic rights and freedoms to the people. After much debating and negotiations, King Hooray accepted their demands and allowed a Constitution to be drafted. Ethiopia officially became a Constitutional Monarchy.

The Council was also restored, but with more limited powers, and it would no longer be controlled by the Chieftains but by elected representatives.

At this time, King Hooray wondered how he could strengthen Ethiopia. Looking to the West, he developed a plan. For the past several centuries, the Western World had been torn by war. However, the three powers of Persia, Siam, and Russia were all of equal strength. No gains or losses were made by any sides, except for a few distant border cities which changed hands many times.
Persia war against Russia changed that dynamic. They had finally won some decisive victories and were pushing south into the heart of Russia.

King Hooray plotted to take advantage of the situation. Russia would not last another two years against Persia. But, why allow Persia to take all of Russia for itself? Why shouldn't Ethiopia declare war on Russia, and prevent the Persians from capturing all of it? Russia was doomed anyway, King Hooray decided, but it presented an opportunity for Ethiopia to gain new glory.

Obtaining permission from The Council, King Hooray declared war on the Republic of Russia in 1725 AD. The chosen invasion point was Crimea Island in the far south.

The war was quick and decisive. The cities of Crimea Island fell with little resistance. Ethiopia then turned its forces to attack the Russian mainland. They captured the cities of Minsk and Vladivstok on Russia's eastern peninsula.

The inevitable happened shortly thereafter when Persia captured the last remnant of Russia.

With Russia destroyed, Ethiopia began to consolidate its gains.
King Hooray distributed control of the Russian territories in this manner:
Clan Aksum would control Odessa.
Clan Matara would control Minsk.
Clan Zeila would control Yakutsk.
Clan Qohayto would control Astrakhan.
Clan Samidi would control Vladivostok.
Clan Tekondo would control Krasnoyarsk.

King Hooray also established a Summer Palace in Odessa in order to better control the Crimean Territories.

Ethiopia's armies had redeemed themselves with the victory over Russia. Sure, it had been a war of aggression, but it was also one of liberation. Persia was a mighty Empire with a cruel emperor who would have enslaved the Russian peoples. The inhabitants of Crimea were saved from the fate, and enjoyed greater freedoms under Ethiopia's Constitution than they had under the rule of Russia.
So, some good came about as a result of the war. More importantly, the armies of Ethiopia regained their confidence and felt ready to take on Egypt once again if it became necessary.

------------

Notes: Switching to Aboslute Monarchy during the first Egyptian War was a bit of a mistake. It completely killed my economy. I switched to Republic after the war to make up for it. Upon entering the Industrial Age I had a choice between Federal Republic and Constitutional Monarchy. I chose the latter because it had a few improvements and wonders which could reduce war weariness.

The second Egypt War caught me off guard. I think gifting the cities to Germany was a very underhanded thing to do, but I was going to lose the cities anyway. Egypt now is the most powerful nation in the world. In fact, Ethiopia is only a distant third to Egypt and Persia. I hope to correct this soon.

The Russian War was blatant aggression, but I had to do it. I needed to increase Ethiopia's strength somehow. Besides, Persia was on the verge of taking it all anyway. No sense in letting the AI get away with everything.

I got an MGL in the battle of Odessa. I used him to rush the Summer Palace.
I also got an SGL in these turns, but didn't feel it worth mentioning. I used him to rush some small wonder, I think.

Hooray: I can't say that I disagree with your thought process on the Russian War. You got to do what you got to do! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom