The Twin Angels, Basium and Gyra

Grey Fox

Master of Points
In my opinion, Basium and Gyra are each others opposites.
  • Basium is Life, Gyra is Death.
  • Basium is Body, Gyra is Spirit.
    • (Basium is Fire, Gyra is Water (or Ice?).)
  • Basium is Rage, Gyra is Calm.
  • Basium is Defiance, Gyra is Obedience.
  • Basium is Violence, Gyra is Tranquility.
  • Basium is Hatred (against Demons), Gyra is Compassion.
Basium was to guard the gates where new life enters creation and Gyra to guard the entrace to the netherworld.

Gyra is more compassionate than her brother and she has acted a few times to protect the Sidar (including keeping Basium from wiping them out once), she also helped the enslaved elves escape from the Dungeon of Laroth.
At least once of these times Basium was destroying the Sidar's library of scrolls which the Sidar where trying to protect and many died trying.

Basically, Basium wasn't trying to destroy the Sidar, but rampaging in his act to destroy necromancy scrolls (?).

she also helped the enslaved elves escape from the Dungeon of Laroth.
Hmm, I didn't know that.

This makes me wonder what kind of a god Arawn was when he had both Life and Death as spheres. Was he more active in the world then, or was he just as withdrawn as he is now? If Basium was made partially in his image, then you'd think that the former was true...

Arawn is just really, really lazy. Thus TWO archangels, it allows him to do less work.

Makes sense... Aside from Camulos'es realm, who's realm is wrought with internal dissidence?

Arawn is incompetent I say!

Well, he did have to deal with two spheres at one point. It was stressful, so now he's on vacation

Arawn is focused on the underworld and doesn't really care what happens in creation. He doesn't like necromancy, but not enough to do anything about it. The compact would allow him to empower priests to go fight undead, but he really can't be bothered. He is similarly apethedic towards the Sidar.

Saying that the Sidar worship Arawn is probably to much. Its better to say that they revere him (not that he cares).

The underworld itself is infinitly large and changes to reflect the emotional state of those within it (many would say the world works the same way but it takes more time). It is not controlled by the powerful wills of the gods as the vaults are so the dead spirits unconsciouly create their worlds within it. Some of these areas are shared by several spirits, some are alone.

The darker spirits are usually claimed by one of the evil gods and whisked off to hell, so you don't see anything to horrifying in the underworld. Though there can be pretty disturbing sites. Some places are pleasent (grass fields where children play), some can be dark (ruins of a house with the echoes of crying throughout), some are bizarre (a city that runs in reverse).

Arawn was intially the god of life and death. He created 2 archangels, twins, one to guard the gates that new life enters creation (Basium), and one to guard the entrace to the netherworld (Gyra). Gyra is more compassionate than her brother and she has acted a few times to protect the Sidar (including keeping Basium from wiping them out once), she also helped the enslaved elves escape from the Dungeon of Laroth.

Laroth... a powerful archmage during the Age of Magic, now dead and building his own kingdom in the underworld. One of the few with enough control over himself to use the underworlds reflective nature to create the environment he wants. He is building an army meant to challenge Arawn himself but the normal spirits of the realm are incapable of real action, they are trapped inside their dream worlds. So he needs heroes to die, powerful men with powerful wills to serve as his captains. So he created the Nether Blade and saw that it was delievered to Rathus. Arawn doesn't care if powerful men live or die, but Laroth wants them.

Sidar and Arawn thread

This is all really quite fascinating Grey Fox, but what pray tell is the point of this thread? That the twin archangels are diametrically opposed in all things? To what end do you make that claim? Do you have plans with Gyra?

I wanted other peoples opinions on this and maybe some more info from the team, but it so far I seem to have failed :p

Well I'd agree that they probably don't have much in common, but since Archangels are supposed to be the the humane version of their god's sphere, I imagine them more to be siblings than opposed forces.

I'd imagine alot like the relationship with my own sibling. One passionate, spontaneous, and aggressive; the other levelheaded, deliberate, and laid-back.

they can still be twin s and be different. i mean look at Apollo and Artemis (from greek mythology) they were as different as night and day, but they still siblings.

Top Bottom