The ultimate Civ

Ok , you get to choose the following .

Traits (2)
UU
UB
Starting techs.

Huge continents on marathon at immortal level . All other settings standard.

I guess Napolean with Praets and Ziggurats starting with mining and the wheel would be nice.

Expansive, Imperialistic
Fast Worker
Terrace
Wheel and Agri

Hmm...

Aggressive, Organized
Praetorians
Sacrificial Altar
Agriculture and Mining

Traits are hard, because I like most of them, but I'll go with Philosphical and Organised, just because I had a great game with Fred recently. Pretty much anything + Organised is fine by me.

UU: Redcoat. It is by no means the best, but you can use it in pretty much every game and it's draftable. The rennaissance is the golden age of warfare in Civ IV.

UB: Hammam. Or Ball Park. Both give an additional +2 happiness over the basic bonuses so they are about equal.

Techs - Mining and Agriculture, but Wheel and Agri is also fine.

Napoleon of the Mongols
Wheel and Agriculture I guess

Although Julius of the Praetorians + Ziggurat might be nice...

Wow lots of different oppinions, my two cent

Spiritual, expansive
Terrace
Prets (of course)
Mining + aggriculture

Financial + Charismatic
Praetorian
Rathaus
Mining + Agriculture

Marathon speed and big map means battles will be very numerous so Charismatic boosting experience will definitely pay off, I think. Financial doesn't need explanation. Agriculture and Mining mean I won't waste worker turns. Praets will allow me to capture a holy city and perhaps a nice wonder or too. Then the Rathaus will allow me to recover quickly and have a good edge for the rest of the game.

Though something like Aggressive Protective Totem Pole Cho Ko Nus might be interesting too :p They'd probably slaughter Riflemen.

Charismatic (great for warring and happiness), Organized (Praets)
Praets
Ball Park
Agriculture, Mining (Ag to start worker, Mining to start IW research)

Since it's Marathon, Fast Worker is out

fishing is garbage if you start inland

Fishing is great if you get a coastal start. If you start inland, all starting techs suck except for hunting and mysticism. Because you still have to build a worker to be able to farm, mine, etc. And it takes the same amount of time to build your worker as it does to research one of these techs.

If you start with fishing and get a coastal start, you are good to go as you will probably have 1 seafood resource at least. Which allows you to grow and build a workboat at the same time. If you get multiple seafood resources, even better.

In the off chance you start inland, you look at what if you need mines more due to starting location or farms. They are both 1 tech away, cottages 2 techs. Researching one of these tech takes the same amount of time as building a worker. No use having Mining/Agri as a starting tech when you wont be able to mine until you build a worker. And it especially doesn't help if you DO get a coastal start.

Fishing is a pretty good starting tech IMO.

Financial and organized (Hi, Darius!)
Dike
Pretorian
mining and agriculture

Closest I've come to this was Darius of the Dutch, who blew everyone away.

I'd go with this wonder whore set-up:

Industrious/Philosophical: for the ultimate GP farm
Quechua: for early protection durring initial wonder whoring
Sacrificial Altar: Slavery is my starting and endgame civic
Mysticism/Fishing: gets me Stonehenge and Hinduism if I get a Coastal start

Top Bottom