1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Colonial Civs thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Dec 11, 2018.

?

What do you think of Colonial Civs?

1. Love em

41.9%
  2. Hate em

23.8%
  3. Wish they were implemented differently

34.3%
  1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I am always on board for Colombia by Simon Bolivar and it makes sense to call it that.
    However I don’t want it at the cost of other mainstay Civs right now but it could easily fit in a new expansion with Maya, Portugal, Ethiopia etc.

What’s wrong with Texas as a civ?:p

Morningcalm, SammyKhalifa and Guandao like this.
  2. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

I think postcolonial Civs are fine as long as they've earned their spot by leaving their mark on the world, or if their inclusion fills a glaring gap in an underrepresented time or region that another Civ isn't better suited to fill. I feel likewise about Civs from any era. If the reason for a Civ's inclusion is "there's a large gaming market in this country and we'll sell more games/expansions/DLCs if we include them" then that's not good enough for me. Granted, I don't work for Firaxis or own shares in Take-Two Interactive, so I have no vested interest in pandering to large gaming markets and can thus ignore the business side of the equation.

Regarding Canada specifically, I don't think they meet the above criteria. It's a wonderful country filled with wonderful people and a place I'd happily to call home if I needed to. But militarily, culturally, scientifically, and economically, they've always stood in someone else's shadow. Diplomatic Victories are coming to Civ6, so you could make the case for their inclusion based on their diplomatic achievements. But you could also argue that Sweden fills every niche Canada fills and has the added bonus of a longer history to draw inspiration from, meaning we wouldn't be saddled with stereotypical Mounties and hockey rinks.

Krajzen, johnlynch13957 and Guandao like this.
  3. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Devs: So, you're saying... we should... Nerf England?

OmegaDestroyer likes this.
  4. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

I just want to note to all. THIS is how you start a topic discussion. lmao flawless

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  5. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

We don't have hockey rinks that take up a full tile and yield food and production on tundra or national park creating modern era mounties because Canada doesn't have enough history to draw inspiration from, we have these because the dev team chose to go that route rather than draw inspiration from that history.

If they spend the same amount of effort on the new Sweden civ, there will be Ikea stores as a unique building and Swedish berries as a unique luxury. Fortunately, I trust and hope that the Sweden civ design will be better than that, but if so it will be because of the amount of effort put into the civ by the dev team.

Not every civ is going to get the same amount of attention. They went the "quick and easy" route with Canada. With luck, that means more time for them to come up with more interesting designs for the other civs.

CivLuvah and TahamiTsunami like this.
  6. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

I'm just saying that it does not make sense to blame only the modern nations for the absence of some classics, we do not know what happens behind the cameras. I quoted the Byzantines example, if the devs have added Georgia in their place, the exclusion of Australia/Canada will not bring the Byzantines back.

But I agree with most, the ancient/medieval nations are definitely more interesting than the modern nations, I just do not feel as overly bothered with their inclusions as some people seem to be.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  7. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

You could always have a post-Classical leader for Rome to represent the Byzantine Empire. They would probably need a unique unit for the leader to make it pop.

8. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

I find it ironic that a thread intended to question the validity of the inclusion of modern colonial civs uses the lyrics to a pop song from a very influential and world altering colonial civ to draw attention to the topic.

I also find it odd that the games creators home nation be questioned so much or the suggestion that the home nation of the company that developes the game might be catorigized as possibly unworthy of inclusion in their game.

In essence all civilizations were born out of another civilization or organized out of a nomadic hunter gatherer society. So, why create such an arbitrary and demeaning demarcation as this thread suggests. Seeing that the questionable civs played a significant role in creating the game itself, the tools to play it, the means to communicate about it, the network the thread is distributed through, and a siginificant and undeniably impactful shaping of at least the last three eras portrayed in said game.

9. Phrozen

Phrozen King

And the mass imprisonment and executions, cultural repression, and well racism against Afro-Cubanos.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think this is my favorite idea for "Byzantium," and would be the best possible use for alternate leaders as well.

11. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Byzantium could be, of course, considered a proto-colonial culture themselves, born as they were out of the westward expansion of the Roma Empire and then schism into their own polity.

(By the way, it still bugs me that for a civ whose existence is often used as a definition for the "Medieval" era, none of Byzantium's Civ V bonuses were Medieval.)

Anyway, I think at least part of my support for post-colonial civs is that I don't think Gathering Storm is going to be the last expansion for Civ VI. When I see Portugal, Byzantium, Ethiopia and Maya still missing, I realize that there's probably more coming down the pike eventually. I get that not everybody shares that opinion, though.

12. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I think having post-colonial civs could be awesome - if they had their own game mechanic - something with splitting from empires at mid-late game, like several people have mentioned above. They could all lack a unique civ ability (i.e. only have UUs, UIs, and LAs) and instead inherit their (in-game) mother civ's ability.

As it stands now, though, they just take up space.

In general Civ VI is trending too modern in its outlook. Almost half of the game shouldn't take place after 1900. The twentieth century doesn't need three eras. The game's midpoint should be approximately 1500 AT LATEST.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The U.S. has all of those things. The last part being racism against African Americans.

Meluhhan, Harlequeen and Uberfrog like this.
  14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Jose Marti would be a good leader for Cuba. Most Cubans, whatever their politics, respect him. He may not be as famous as Castro or Batista but quite a few Civ leaders aren't exactly household names.

Navelgazer and SammyKhalifa like this.
  15. Haig

Haig Deity

As the civilization games handle all eras from ancient times to current day and beyond, all the modern nations have a right to be in in my opinion.

People have strong opinions on what "should" be / "deserve" to be in but those are just matters of taste..

16. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

So every nation that exists right now has a right to be in the game? Monaco? Singapore? Kuwait? Etc......

17. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Singapore could take another crack at that Civ V Venetian model- but then, that's what city states are for.

Guandao likes this.
  18. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'll only say the major modern Nations have a "right" to be in Civ, not every single one of them. Some of them have existed for mere decades before the present (majority of the African countries, Oceania, etc)

Morningcalm likes this.
  19. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

It's more like Han moving its capital from Chang'an to Luoyang in response to barbarian incursions and internal strife. Or if that doesn't work, the Song moving the capital from Kaifeng to Nanjing after the former fell to the Jin.

20. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Oh, I love this idea, possibly with a ULA of GWAMs adding extra loyalty-pressure to neighboring civs/envoys to CSes, etc.