The Version for DG5 is Vanilla Civ 3, patch 1.29f. What special things do we want ?

Rik Meleet

Top predator
Retired Moderator
As you might, or might not, be aware, the version is Vanilla Civ 3, as posted in this announcement.

The reason is that switching now, before a final patch of C3C is released will likely cause too much people not being able to join.

But just plain VC3 might be too boring for some. So perhaps a mod can be created, variant rules can be introduced, a map can be designed, or we can play on earth, or ....
Perhaps we prefer plain VC3, anything is possible,

Join this discussion, we can make VC3 more enjoyable ! Express your thoughts here on how to do that.

Were it not for complexity, I'd strongly advocate DYP. It'd be different, I can tell you that. I hope we shall, though I warn you that it is complex, and we'd best try a lower level then general (Regent would be good) and work from there. There are a few, myself included, who have some familiarity, and we could mine their (our) skill to the breaking point to try to get stuff done. Well, let us choose wisely is the best advice I have.

Also, do you need anything beyond Vanilla CIV3 to run it? That question should have a 'no' answer for any mod suggested here, or it defeats the whole purpose of staying with that version.

It should, since mods don't require .exe's to run. (Not so sure about animations, but I would assume they're the same).

I'd like to try a world map, although the problem is that we'd know where everyone starts. I'm not sure if I have a "normal" vanilla Civ3 world map (I have Marla's, but the rivers are buggy on that one). I could still easily make a world map using a world map image somewhere in the C&C forum. We could make it realistic (i.e., no horses in the Americas), but that'd be a problem for the Iroquois, unless we gave them a different UU.

On the issue of mods like DyP, many have gone to PTW and C3C, so it may be hard to find a vanilla Civ3 version.

5CC challenge was shot down... but I really dont wanna play a regular game

Rik Meleet said:
Does DYP work on Macs ?
We can ask the makers of DYP since I do beleve that the mod for Vannila Civ3 is compadible with the Mac version.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
I have no idea if DyP is compatable with Macs. I'd recomend asking the designers.

It should be mac compatible if we can have the files themselves instead of the dreaded .exe installer program. The mac version (1.29ß2) is 100% compatible with the PC version (1.29g), bit by bit and byte per byte, as far as the .bic files and the game ressources are concerned.

I have the final DYP update (1.01r) for Civ3 on my computer in .exe, .zip, .ace, and .rar format. Is that all you would need?

I just checked on the DYP's Download size. I beleve we should not use this if we have 56k users that want to partisipate in the Demogame.

CivGeneral said:
I just checked on the DYP's Download size. I beleve we should not use this if we have 56k users that want to partisipate in the Demogame.

On or those 56k users...:(

But if we did the DyP mod I would download it...even it took hours...

As I was going to say... DyP for vanilla Civ3 is 60 megs, and even that might be an unfinished version. It would require that some 25+ users install DyP. Some might either not know how, or won't bother with it.

Chieftess said:
As I was going to say... DyP for vanilla Civ3 is 60 megs, and even that might be an unfinished version. It would require that some 25+ users install DyP. Some might either not know how, or won't bother with it.
Which is why it is better, IMO, to use just a standard vannila civ.

DyP = Double Your Pleasure. It's a modpack with tons of techs, tons of governments, and tons of units. When I say tons, mean TONS! The techs fill up every free space on the tech advisor screen!

Chieftess said:
DyP = Double Your Pleasure. It's a modpack with tons of techs, tons of governments, and tons of units. When I say tons, mean TONS! The techs fill up every free space on the tech advisor screen!
That would be great to play!

Not so great for those with modems... or who aren't too familar with it. I could imagine some PIs if say, we picked France, built a few Serfs (France's "worker UU" in that modpack I think), and the DP accidently hit "B", founding a new city. ;)

Another thought - We could even go for a world map if we wanted. (After the settings discussion is done, we can vote on that, and decide between that setting, and a modpack).

DYP might be cool though we might want to have an extended group training period or we might have no clue how to proceed correctly. That would certainly spice things up.

Maybe we could get a GOTM style scenario file which will make vanilla more like PTW and Conquests.

Top Bottom