The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just as a general sentiment, would like now be a good time to buy stocks? I've done exactly like 1 minute of research, but google tells me of course just general out-dated things like presidential election cycle (that stocks go down and are worst performing in the transition in the election to first year of a new president) are dead and not relevant; wasn't true for George HW Bush, Clinton, and steady rise over a crash in Obama's term doesn't prescribe to that little analysis

like, Feb 11 was a 2 year low on the DOW and it hasn't really been consistently lower since October 2013, one week in january 2014 was lower

idk, buy low sell high?

So, just as a general sentiment, would like now be a good time to buy stocks? I've done exactly like 1 minute of research, but google tells me of course just general out-dated things like presidential election cycle (that stocks go down and are worst performing in the transition in the election to first year of a new president) are dead and not relevant; wasn't true for George HW Bush, Clinton, and steady rise over a crash in Obama's term doesn't prescribe to that little analysis

like, Feb 11 was a 2 year low on the DOW and it hasn't really been consistently lower since October 2013, one week in january 2014 was lower

idk, buy low sell high?
See this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14159701&postcount=1

don't buy stocks

I mean I need to actual put in relative due diligence but CDs have died since the 1990s, I have a good savings account but like that barely beats inflation, and I think I can add a roth ira. Half my company match for my 401k this year would be company stock (which employers are going to axe 401k matches and things more and more, I'm grandfathered in my current company to our previous plan--match anually--but new employees have a vested 401k so it takes like 5 years to get the full company match).

Putting more money in 401k is always good (I don't get more match) but I could throw some money to some stock (or whatever the smart investment choice it) and always have that money available to me. If it just beats the lackluster returns of anything else--say actually gets 5% returns, that is a better alternative to what I am doing now. I think.

I am ignorant of actual terms, like bonds vs stocks vs securities, etc. As far as I understand it you can just throw money to a mutual fund so you don't have to micromanage, but personally I would be willing to just drop some money that pretty much won't make a difference in my life. If the stock fails horribly I can just say "well that was like having a trip to Vegas and spending slightly more than I budgeted"

Probably like 75% chance I will leave this job anyways within 1 year, may just shuffle within the company though; so I probably won't even get a 401k match this year because I have to be employed with the company dec 31.

thanks birdjaguar

edit: by far the best thing I probably could do to "make" more money is actually get a roommate but I vastly prefer not to have one. That would actually be the most relevant financial choice for me lol

They aren't anything special or worth much. Like 80-100 years old and not of notable styles. .22s and small bore shotgun. I was just thinking, they've been in storage so long that I don't want the wood to go bad. They're stored in a dry place, and taken out and cleaned/oiled once in a while. But nothing has been done with the wood, and I don't know that that would be bad for it over time. None have been fired in better than 25 years.

The main reason you oil the stock is to keep water out - which will warp a wooden stock - so that may not be particularly pressing if they're being stored in a dry locker. I'd bring the stock along to a gun shop (if you know what you're doing, you can take the rifle itself out of it, which makes carrying it around a bit simpler) and ask their advice in finding a finishing oil - I assume they're a decent wood, which means you want to try and avoid anything with a dye, though all oils will change and deepen the colour to some degree.

The part you want to take care of is the barrel: every time you fire it, it wears a little, and becomes less accurate - and obviously most people don't want to just slap a modern target rifle barrel onto their grandfather's original No. 1. It can also 'sweat' in storage, which is where small amounts of oil or solvent from cleaning work their way into the metal and work their way out again over time, which can cause corrosion. You'll also get corrosion if you fail to clean the copper out - which not all 'all-purpose' solvents will do: Hoppes and Sweets do, 009 and N-Pro don't. There's a strong argument, if the rifle is being stored long-term, for oiling the exterior only and oiling the barrel and action only when you take it out to fire it, or as part of your periodic cleaning before drying it out thoroughly.

You also want to make sure that the air can circulate around the rifles when in storage - so store them in a locker (ideally flat, otherwise stock-down, never muzzle-down) rather than a gun slip or box, and try to make sure that it's not excessively cold.

FP, I'll try that next time I bring them out for a cleaning.

Next question: Assuming I get a bit more free time, I was thinking of building some birdhouses for the yard. But what I don't know is how large to drill the entry holes for different types of birds. Google-fu has failed me in this. Anyone know?

Even if I totally lack the wherewithal to actually understand/do the hands-on work this is kinda fun. I'd be interested to hear more about it if you're inclined to spill!

As a farmer I would have thought you'd have the necessary tools and room to work. And it's not particularly a skilled version of carpentry. The material, depending on what you're going for, is just whatever scrap pieces of wood are available, or boards you want to buy. So it's not an expensive thing. I'm hoping to get to it in the spring.

Of course, I had that idea last year too, and never got to it. :cringe:

Oh, I'm sure my dad has enough tools I could find. I generally use his when I need something non-basic. It's kinda exciting, you wind up anywhere from brand new to 1970s to something he's still using that grandpa bought in the 20s/30s. I find carpentry to be a frustrating endeavor at best though. Just not very good at it. Measure 20 times, cut 15, go back to the store twice. That seems about my pace!

Is there a native species of bird you are hoping to attract? I usually like cardinals myself.

I've got tools dating back at least 100 years that came from my grandfather originally. Many of them are seriously worn out. Some may be even older than that.

I'm not really trying to attract specific birds. We do have cardinals in the area, and I regularly see them at the bird feeder. I'm just thinking of providing better nesting, and more of an opportunity to watch them, on the various birds already in the area. I sorta had this plan for a big many bird condo affair. I figure I can cut something out of a single piece of plywood. That'd give me 16-20 units depending on size. But what I didn't know was how much clearance a bird needed to get in and out of such a thing.

Probably wouldn't hurt to see if the species you size it for are territorial with each other or not too. The condos are really neat when they work, but some species just won't coexist in close proximity with each other.

I hope it's fun and works out well!

Is Reddit any good for deep, long conversations and posts?

I wrote a pretty massive (and to be honest, tl;dr) post in the space cadet thread that I really wanted to discuss with people. I guess it's just too much detail for this topic on this forum and I was thinking of re-posting it on reddit. I'm not currently on reddit, fwiw.

Is Reddit any good for deep, long conversations and posts?

I wrote a pretty massive (and to be honest, tl;dr) post in the space cadet thread that I really wanted to discuss with people. I guess it's just too much detail for this topic on this forum and I was thinking of re-posting it on reddit. I'm not currently on reddit, fwiw.

You might find a specific subreddit that will actually discuss something in detail. But as a whole I find there's much less actual discussion, and getting to know people, there.

Yeah, Reddit most of the time boils down to either witty one liners or one guy posting a really good post, and everyone responding about how it was a really good post.

Not too much discussion. Forum format is usually better for that.

Reddit has some good subforums if you search, though this is content-dependent. /r/askhistorians for example goes into a ton of detail, lots of long posts.

General rule is lower subscriber count = better subreddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom