The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since AIDs is a virus and cancer is cellular, no.

If rabies and AIDS were both in the bloodstream, which would win in a fight?

Spoiler :
I'll stop now. That was from a really funny exchange in Ricky Gervaise's new show Derek on Netflix

Do you mean which would kill the patient first?

I'd say rabies; since no one dies of AIDS, but from the diseases they catch afterwards.

No I mean which one would win in a fight with each other? They both have to be in the same bloodstream or else they couldn't fight, but once there they could conceivably duke it out or something...

Don't pursue this any further! :lol:

wiki said:
The rabies virus has a bullet like shape with a length of about 180 nm and a cross-sectional diameter of about 75 nm. One end is rounded or conical and the other end is planar or concave.

wiki said:
HIV is different in structure from other retroviruses. It is roughly spherical[12] with a diameter of about 120 nm, around 60 times smaller than a red blood cell, yet large for a virus.

I'm going with the rabies. It's a bullet. Whereas the HIV (not AIDS notice) virus is a softy sphere.

And just because rabies!

Guns won't save you. Not if doggie dribbles on you.

But let's throw cancer in the mix. If AIDS and Rabies both take over a number of cancer cells in the host body, which group of super-cells would win in a street brawl? I mean Rabies/Cancer would presumably go for head shots and leave the AIDS/Cancer cells senseless, but then AIDS/Cancer plays dirty and goes for the groin. *nutshot*

Transcript of the bro-down:
Rabies/Cancer: No homo!
AIDS/Cancer: *nutshot* *nutshot* *nutshot*
Rabies/Cancer: I said NO HOMO!
AIDS/Cancer: Are you sure?
Rabies/Cancer: Yeah.
AIDS/Cancer: You're right, you're HIV Positive

Bazinga!

Question:
So tosser means drunkard and NOT bugger?

Not really, it's pretty daft but I'm insanely bored at the moment.

Serious question:
Has anyone had a security clearance background check? They are standard in my field and I don't know what the process is like and I would like to know what they are like.

Also, I committed a misdemeanor when I was 16 and I was told my rocket would be expunged when I turned 18. How do I check on that and if it wasn't automatically expunged, how do I expunge it? Do those types of things show up on background checks? It was 10 years ago and I was a minor.

I've had a number of Criminal Record Bureau checks. Which would cover your misdemeanour case, I'm guessing.

Certainly my record had been expunged. Well, not exactly expunged I'm guessing. I doubt very much whether the authorities ever actually destroy any information they have on anyone. It didn't show up on any of the searches. But it depends on the job you're applying for whether it will show up in a search.

Unless you intend applying to the FBI, say, maybe no one will know. It may even be a good idea to have a criminal record working for the FBI. Who knows?

Certainly the CIA.

It's always a good idea to declare every single little offence you've ever committed though. I think. Be it ever so embarrassing.

It also depends on the misdemeanour as well.

Well I'm not sure that it was automatically expunged and I certainly don't count on it. But I have no idea how to begin looking for my old criminal record. So far I haven't declared it on any applications, which has me worried. In some cases they say 'have you committed any offenses in the last 10 years', which means I can truthfully say no. But some just say 'have you committed any offenses, period', and that has me worried.

I'm not going for the FBI, just space industry jobs, but they want to make sure that they don't hire any secret Chinese spies or whatever. Not sure how a misdemeanor from a decade ago while I was a minor was any of their business, but I don't want to screw myself.

Then just put it down. And rest at ease.

A surprising percentage (~40%?) of adult men have a record of some sort. I doubt very much whether it will be significant. But non-disclosure will always work against you; if it's discovered; and you've no way of knowing that it won't be.

If it says within the last 10 years then it's fine to leave it blank. Otherwise put the thing down every time, is my advice.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh but then they'll think I'm a criminal when by law, my record should be clean (whether or not my record was expunged, it should be expunged as I understand it)

Just tell me what I want to hear!!!!! :sad:

A reputable firm will know all about the time limits on misdemeanours.

What do you want to hear?

Do you want to hear that not disclosing any information is a good idea?

I don't think it is.

I think it would haunt you for a long time, assuming you got away with it in the first place.

Interesting, thanks! I was mostly going by a very rough impression that only Orthodox clergy went bearded as a rule these days, but I'm happy to be corrected.
Well, since you asked about evangelicals particularly, I think part of the clue might be in the name: They do whatever's most effective to evangelize. Cleanshaven men in business suits have been the go-to for a while because they seem respectable, but there are a lot of irreligious people out there who might be more drawn to a guy with a hip beard in a plain black t-shirt, and people like Francis Chan aim to get to them. Whereas with Orthodoxy, if you find heavy beards and wizard robes off-putting, you'd likely have to suck it up.

AIDS pulls out the family hunting rifle and goes Ol' Yeller on rabies. Game over.

AIDS pulls out the family hunting rifle and goes Ol' Yeller on rabies. Game over.

damn son that's cold!

You guys should check out Derek on Netflix if you can. That exchange where he's contemplating an AIDS/Rabies brawl is hilarious.

There's a word I forgot how to spell that is pronounced sediment. As for the meaning, it's somewhere between "belief" or "argument" (at least in the context I've heard it in). What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom