The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΓ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
Because it is part of the cycle of life.

And because I got the 1,000th post.

I'll answer with a question: how dare I what?

I'll answer with a question: how dare I what?

You know what you did.

Actual question for the thread: Why do British addresses include neighbourhoods? They don't here in North America.

A friend recently gave me their address and it was [Number] [Street], [Neighbourhood], [City], [County], [Country].

In contrast, addresses here are [Number] [Street], [City], [Province], [Country].

On the ring thing I have noticed it’s greatly influenced by the profession. Many people men and women work with their hands and don’t wear them during the day like nurses, cleaners, assembly workers, construction, any type of trade. So if you saw this person on a normal work day I wouldn’t think it’s that weird

neighbourhoods have names?

At least in cities they do. For example I live in Kensington in Vancouver. The address I was given was in Headingley in Leeds. But I don't include the neighbourhood when I write my address.

On the ring thing I have noticed it’s greatly influenced by the profession. Many people men and women work with their hands and don’t wear them during the day like nurses, cleaners, assembly workers, construction, any type of trade. So if you saw this person on a normal work day I wouldn’t think it’s that weird

See, one thing that stood out to me is people women who did do jobs in which wearing the ring is a liability, and yet they had these truly massive rocks on their fingers. Like diamonds 3/16" of an inch or more. Now this one woman was a veterinarian. So you'd expect she'd be putting on and taking off rubber gloves all day, and sticking her fingers up dogs butts and stuff, but was still wearing this massive rock. And I can't help thinking that the reason for it was to prevent men from hitting on her more than anything else.

neighbourhoods have names?
Most of the subdivisions have names here, and the city planners decided decades ago that any named roads would begin with the same letter that the subdivision begins with. So (for example) in the Pines subdivision, all the named roads (streets, avenues, crescents, and closes) begin with "P."

It gets confusing, though, when new subdivisions have the same first letter as older subdivisions, and when old subdivisions are added on to.

And then you get the situation I've had to deal with on occasion: The taxi company I use told me not to bother giving the street address and just tell them the name of the building, since "all the drivers know where it is." Well, all the drivers apparently don't know where it is, since one of them decided to take me all the way across town. I asked where we were going, and he said, ______, because you're going to the part of town that starts with ___.

I told him that doesn't apply to building names, just roads, and asked if he was new - since the dispatcher told me to give the building name instead of the address.

There are other odd situations. I used to live in a subdivision called Upper Fairview ("upper" because it was on a hill). The rest of it was called Lower Fairview (because it was in the valley). Well, Lower Fairview, over the years, acquired a bad reputation for drugs, motorcycle gangs, and violence... and one of the longtime residents decided to lobby City Council to change the name to something "nicer" so people wouldn't feel inferior at living in a "lower" subdivision.

So the name of the subdivision was changed to Riverside Meadows (apt, since it's not far from the river), but that didn't do much to curb the drugs, gangs, and violence. The streets and avenues were all numbered, so they didn't need to be renamed.

See, one thing that stood out to me is people women who did do jobs in which wearing the ring is a liability, and yet they had these truly massive rocks on their fingers. Like diamonds 3/16" of an inch or more. Now this one woman was a veterinarian. So you'd expect she'd be putting on and taking off rubber gloves all day, and sticking her fingers up dogs butts and stuff, but was still wearing this massive rock. And I can't help thinking that the reason for it was to prevent men from hitting on her more than anything else.
The only place I ever heard of a man hitting on a female veterinarian is in the Garfield comics. Apparently it worked, after 20-25 years or so; she finally decided to go out with Jon, and they became a couple.

Also machinists and technicians don't wear them. They are likely to get caught and cost you a finger or 'just' deglove it. Do not google deglove.

Anyone who went through any sort of electronics/electrical rate training in at least the Navy, and perhaps the rest of the military, will recognize "this hot dog could be you-ah fingah." They may have changed it I guess, but the electrical safety film was thirty years old when I saw it and there din't seem to be any reason to update it. This southern drawling dude in a white lab coat sticks a wedding ring on a hot dog and then sets the ring across a 110 volt source. Takes about two seconds for the ring to be white hot and burn the hot dog in two.

Sashimi is fish. Sushi is seaweed and vinegary rice, which may have fish on it. Or something along those lines. I think.

What is the difference between sushi and sashimi?

Sushi refers to the rice. Specifically, it's rice which has been marinated in a particular kind of vinegar, as well as sugar and salt. Sashimi is thinly sliced pieces pieces of raw meat or fish.

Last edited:
Sushi refers to the rice. Specifically, it's rice which has been marinated in a particular kind of vinegar, as well as sugar and salt. Sashimi is thinly sliced pieces pieces of raw meat or fish.

Hm... does this mean lots of sushi contains sashimi?

My ignorant American self thought sashimi was a kind of sushi, just without the seaweed.

At least in cities they do. For example I live in Kensington in Vancouver. The address I was given was in Headingley in Leeds. But I don't include the neighbourhood when I write my address.

Is there a Kensington in every city?

Hm... does this mean lots of sushi contains sashimi?

They don't really overlap. Rice prepared as sushi may have a variety of toppings, including fish cut the same as for sashimi, but it's still sushi. Sashimi is specifically just the thin sliced meat/fish. It's meant to deliver the full flavor without diluting it. It might be served with rice, but it's not intended to be eaten in the same bite as the rice. Very poor form if you pick up rice with your sashimi, as sashimi is considered the highest delicacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom